Sep 2008
Theme: Remixes

Compilation: http://www.upload-this.com/1228/week-51.zip.html
Anime Instrumentality - Anime music news and soundtrack reviews
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 1, 2010 8:24 AM
Aug 2008
Notes:
"remixes" should be more specific I think. Because there are more one variety of remixes than there are probably some genre of actual anime music. Just covers alone ... Also the nature of the music is kinda of a big deal.

Mashup: 1
Normal cover: 1-2
Massively rearranged cover: 3-4
Remixes: 4

Dango ma nigga? - Dango is Dangerous.

Soldier of Sorrow - It's a nice track and representative of his album I guess. I'm kind of indifferent though.

Toki wo Koete - Chiptunes to Zeta theme is more up my alley than Andrew WK, but not by much.
+1

Last Impression - Cooool. This is the sort of song that can sound very cool with a good cover. But I guess when Two-Mix remixes their own things to hell and back already, it doesn't leave a lot of room.
+1

Sketch Switch - It's lols, but I thought Marble's various covers were funnier. His first cover album, however, is full of win. Second one was more like this track...

Koi no Mikuru Densetsu - This is really good!
+1

Space Battleship Yamato - Animetal has a lot of cool covers, but it's like, too much. Hard to listen to them all.
+1

Boku wa Koushin Saremashita Kirei na - wow, this is awesome! Hirohashi's voice was always Perfume-like, this just makes it actually perfume-like.
+1

Motteke! Sailor Fuku - Personally I would have gone with Jam Project's cover, but this is actually tolerable.

Don't Say Lazy - This is a pretty good pick, but half the fun is watching the video. Since I never judge it by video this is kind of :S
+1
Jun 1, 2010 10:33 AM

Nov 2007
Another good rap/moe/mix track, for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TfmOSmadxs&playnext_from=TL&videos=qFpO9T_L4LM

I am literally in disbelief that I forgot about both Animetal and the Minoru Shiraishi album. Good to see i was at least covered on one front, though for Animetal I definitely would have picked their Cruel Angel Thesis or Pagesus Fantasy covers.

Will vote soon. I'm very excited for this week.
Jun 1, 2010 11:29 AM

Nov 2007
there just aren't enough points for this week

Dango ma Nigga?! - Introduced me to the wide and wonderful world of anime/hip-hop mixes, which is something I'm incredibly glad for. Plus it's boss as fuuuuck.+1

Soldiers of Sorrow - Meanwhile, Gundam Rock introduced me to the awesomeness that is Andrew WK, and this is my favorite track from the album. Chillingly epic. +1

Toki wo Koete - I'm not huge on chiptunes, but this was completely bitchin. +1

Last Impression - This was enjoyable and fun, but pretty average for this kind of thing.

Sketch Switch - LAMOOO this cover always hurts my brain. But how can I not love it?!?! Incidentally, I can sing along to most of the songs this week~ Also I'd love to hear an animetal style version of this. +1

Koi no Mikuru Densetsu - Holy fucking epic. I would have rather had Koi no Minoru Densetsu... but this is fucking cool as hell anyway. +1

Space Battleship Yamato - Not one of my favorite animetal covers, but still fucking awesome. Particularly like the heavy part at the end.

Boku wa Koushin Saremashita Kirei na - OH SHIT I remember this song! I had forgotten all about it! When the show first came out, I was listening to the (regular version of) this song over and over for days on nico nico... never DLed it though so forgot about it. This mix kicks ass too. Love it. +1

Motekke! Sailor Fuku - There are so many different versions of this that you can grade them on a scale of themselves.This one is just a bit more chaotic and awkward than I would want, but it's certainly interesting. And it has Minoru Shiraishi. And then other songs get mixed in O-o overall, though, enjoyable.

Don't Say Lazy - As omo says, it's far far more fun with the video, but hey, still kicks ass. Going to for once not vote on it because it's my own nom.

Best week ever. Loved every song, saved them all, will listen again, hell yes. Not enough points in the world.
Jun 2, 2010 6:30 AM
Aug 2008
2010digitalboy said:
Another good rap/moe/mix track, for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TfmOSmadxs&playnext_from=TL&videos=qFpO9T_L4LM

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Jun 9, 2010 1:45 AM

Sep 2008
Late entry, but yes, I'm quite annoyed that I don't have enough points to distribute this week.

Dango ma nigga? - Word to your mother maaaan..... Yeah, this is pretty hilarious and the rap part does match the rhythm pretty well. GENIUS!
+1

Soldier of Sorrow - I don't have the background knowledge for this (and was too lazy to do any research. Go fig :P), but you really do gotta love the rockin' feel that the artists pours in here. The intensity hits it right well, especially during the chorus with its epic vibes that it puts in.
+1

Toki wo Koete - Sounds like some good old side scrolling on some planet and once the piece really gets going, the going gets the piece. Or something like that. Pretty good and this would register higher if I had more background knowledge. Still, props for the chiptunage.

Last Impression - Trance that employs good use of pianos will always get my vote.
+1

Sketch Switch - OK, anyone who tosses a seiyuu collab and makes a MAN version automatically gets points from me. Remind me on "Cover" week to nominate that Kannagi OP MAN VERSION because it's lolz.
+1

Koi no Mikuru Densetsu - Surprised that people like this, but then again, I was surprised they managed to set the song to orchestra and make it sound awesome.

Space Battleship Yamato - Somehow, I get images of Uematsu's Black Mages when I hear this kind of guitar shredding and I do like how they take a stately piece and add that dose of energy to it in a way that's actually enjoyable.
+1

Boku wa Koushin Saremashita Kirei na - Stuttering at first was kind of lolwat but once the song goes underway, it's pretty enjoyable in the way it invokes... I don't know... a vast universe? The electronica and stuff help add to that aura. Also sounds ethereal too.
+1

Motteke! Sailor Fuku - Hoi hoi hoi. Somehow, this works better if we also had some RAN RAN RUUU /McDonalds. Also, AUGH! It becomes less trashy near the middle to the point where it's actually listenable.

Don't Say Lazy - Seems pretty standard and nothing womg like the last track, so this is probably not going to stand out as much compared to all the other stuff this week.
Anime Instrumentality - Anime music news and soundtrack reviews
Jun 9, 2010 5:36 AM

Oct 2007
Dango ma Nigga - Dangorous. This is brilliant. The absolutely perfect juxtaposition of two completely different elements just works. (incidentally is that actually the title he gave it?) +3

Soldiers of Sorrow - Death metal lyrics. Seriously. Ai Senshi is one of the best pieces from the older Gundam stuff, and for good reason. The original song is basically an encapsulation of the central message of Gundam 0079. Andrew W.K. manages to rewrite the lyrics in english while preserving the meaning of the original Japanese and still keep the song's original meter. +1

Toki wo Koete - Meh. Not a song I recall much at all, so an 8-bit remix of it does pretty much nothing for me. If you're going to nominate an 8-bit remix of something it needs to be a really, really memorable piece or it's not really going to have the impact you're after.

Last Impression - Noise. Last Impression was already a fairly noisy piece and this just takes that to the extreme. It's also not very interesting, especially with the others in here. Pretty much anyone can take the vocal track and basic tune from a song and add an overly loud bassline. Could at least have put some effort into it.

Sketch Switch - After the initial brain freeze this induces, it's just a straight up cover, which is nice enough I suppose. Very competent, but you expect that from someone who's been doing this for as long as Masaaki Endoh.

Koi no Mikuru Densetsu - A good orchestra can make anything sound epic. Reminds me of something completely different, though I can't put my finger on what it is. +1

Space Battleship Yamato - there are other animetal pieces, but the bulk of their best ones are not very long and designed to be listened to back-to-back in a medley. This being longer gives them a chance to have some crazy guitar work. :P Stuff like their Pegasus Fantasy is awesome, but that one is a straight-up cover. This at least is a re-arrangement at the same time. +1

Boku wa Koushin Saremashita Kirei na - electronic rasp effect on vocals pisses the hell out of me. If you want to have a fake robot singing your songs just use Miku. As much as I like Ryou Hirohashi, I don't like this.

Motteke! Sailor Fuku - hate hate hate hate hate that bloody song. I don't care how you remix it, I hate it.

Don't Say Lazy - if this was covers week it would be worth points as it's a very competent cover. But the theme here was rearrangements, inspired-by etc, which is different.
Jun 23, 2010 8:30 AM

Jul 2008
Last Impression (+1)
Space Battleship Yamato (+1)
Koi no Mikuru Densetsu (+1)
Dango ma nigga? (+1)
Boku wa Koushin Saremashita Kirei na (+1)
Soldiers of Sorrow (+1)

| Icon by parijienne @ LJ. | My Member Cards |

My Candies :
Jun 29, 2010 5:36 PM

Jun 2008
Last Impression - Halfway decent techno track. It's a little busy for my tastes.

(+1)Don't Say Lazy Band Edition - yeah it's awesome. It's better than the original song imo.

Sketch Switch - Can't fault the guy for enthusiasm. Not really my type of thing though.

(+1)Motteke Sailor Fuku - Might suffer from an abundance of Shiraishi but I like the sort of swing it gets into later on.

(+1)Dango ma Nigga?? - Awesome as hell. It's just weird not hearing Busta sing the chorus. The cognitive dissonance is startling.

Space Battleship yamato - pretty slick. I'm not really familiar with the song or much animetal. It's almost symphonic metal.

(+2) Soldiers of Sorrow - Awesome song. I feel like I've heard it before this week but I had no idea it was from his gundam remix album. I might check out more Andrew W.K. because of this song.

(+1)Toki wo koete - I'm glad there was at least one chiptune 8bit type song this week. Wouldn't be complete without it. This one sounds pretty good to me.

Boku wa Koushin Saremashita - I don't know if this is the best remix from KKN but it's my favorite.
*In response to NegativeZero this song was made either right before or right around the time Miku started getting popular. Also the character was a robot so it makes sense.

Koi Mikuru Densetsu - Best track on the Haruhi symphonic album. Amazing arrangement.
Jul 3, 2010 12:53 AM

Dec 2007
Soldiers of Sorrow +3
Dango my Nigga +2
Koi no Mikuru Densetsu +1
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Defining Music Pieces of 2011? Or Personal Favorites?

ottocycle - Dec 16, 2011

13 by TheBigN »»
Jul 27, 2013 12:46 PM

» Week 64: Nominations Thread - Loneliness

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

18 by Kinushima »»
Nov 13, 2012 8:23 AM

» Improving the #malkeionbu

omo - Sep 16, 2010

26 by omo »»
Aug 11, 2011 11:18 AM

» Week 63: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

2 by mrmuk »»
Jun 10, 2011 10:31 AM

» Week 59: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Aug 16, 2010

10 by Pocari »»
Mar 18, 2011 10:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.