Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2023 8:18 AM

Jul 2017
Kaito's family is being harassed, and this is known to the other boys, except Haruo who just don't care and brought him into choir practice willy-nilly. But it's clear that Kaito is overwhelmed by his family's issues that he wants to sound out, but that he can't, due to the pressure of performing at the next choir competition.

Rika and Haruo appearing suddenly to pass Kaito back his bag, it's clear that what his father did was viral enough that they were being doxxed to the point of wanting to move away, but Haruo's ever annoying persistence is not making any favours, much less the boys who are rushing to his place at the last minute. But none of the persuasions could relent Kaito on moving away with his father...not for the song that he's so attached to serving as his farewell song.

Oh welp, one guy gone, who will be Kaito's replacement?
Dec 4, 2023 8:47 AM
Sep 2015
VTuber magically solve all the problem by hiding the identity of streamer, hmmmmm
Dec 4, 2023 11:54 AM

Oct 2009
How are there so many inconsistencies in this series? It's just beyond me. Haruo goes from errand boy to "pls stop using me as an errand boy" - when, as rightfully pointed out, he doesn't do anything else (especially in recent episodes). Some of the faces are absolute horror material (the twins from down below, jfc who thought that those were usable??), but then some of the closeups and especially the rainy exteriors are almost perfect in comparison. Haruo suddenly showing an absolutely unusual amount of care, when before he barely bothered instructing them at all. The back-and-forth between genres, and who would've thought that episode from last week would have a direct "sequel", as it were? The boys doing all those things for Kaito- for all the annoying inconsistencies, the foundation is solid, and the culmination of this episode is just right in the kokoro as some would say - there's an awful lot to unpack in just that, because somehow they manage to pack an awful lot in. And so what's gonna happen now? They barely managed to complete the choir, now it's already broken? Surely not.... right? But then ending on such a cliffhanger is also just weird.

This series is struggling so much with itself.
Dec 4, 2023 9:46 PM
Jul 2021
This episode was so different in absolutely every aspect to other episodes that I initially thought I had clicked on the wrong show and had to check to make sure I was actually watching Kawagoe Boys.

I was incredibly close to dropping this after the dumpster fire that was the previous episode, but wow did this episode redeem this show.
Dec 6, 2023 4:47 PM

Oct 2022
Oh geezus... so they decided to try doing an Art House episode. Bunch of random looking scenes at night, faces, doorbell ringing.. it's Kobashi (IT-kun's) apartment where he's sleeping on the floor with everything boxed up and his dad who dresses like Quagmire is there.
When they show the scene of Old Hag talking to Maestro as usual, it's from behind some pillars... they're trying to do artsy.
ok so does this show pull off art noir?
NO!
It's a complete mess.

IT-kun and his droopy eyelids show up back at the school and joins the choir practice after being absent for a while. So apparently his dad is the random old geezer who was undressing while filming the pathetic robber guy who held up the community center last week in probably the worst episode. Funny, IT-kun didn't seem to react to him as if he knew who it was... but whatever.
The plot is that they have to move because the video is "getting flamed" and people have found out where they live.
Ok wait- WHAT?
How could they find out something like that? And what is 'flaming' a video exactly? Yea it was probably shit, the dude was undressing himself, but who the fuck would watch something that shitty and how could they possibly find out where they live? Even if they did, nobody would bother going over there to ring the doorbell all night. They wouldn't watch it. If the video is getting "flamed" then just take it down? This doesn't make any sense. At least the choir practice of that same song again sounded decent I suppose. It's not great, all kind of mispronunciation but it's the best this show has ever done.

This episode gets 4 boxes full of artsy schmaltz crammed into a minivan out of ten.
SuperAdventureDec 6, 2023 4:51 PM
Dec 9, 2023 10:30 PM
Jul 2021
SuperAdventure said:
Oh geezus... so they decided to try doing an Art House episode. Bunch of random looking scenes at night, faces, doorbell ringing.. it's Kobashi (IT-kun's) apartment where he's sleeping on the floor with everything boxed up and his dad who dresses like Quagmire is there.
When they show the scene of Old Hag talking to Maestro as usual, it's from behind some pillars... they're trying to do artsy.
NO!
It's a complete mess.

IT-kun and his droopy eyelids show up back at the school and joins the choir practice after being absent for a while. So apparently his dad is the random old geezer who was undressing while filming the pathetic robber guy who held up the community center last week in probably the worst episode. Funny, IT-kun didn't seem to react to him as if he knew who it was... but whatever.
The plot is that they have to move because the video is "getting flamed" and people have found out where they live.
Ok wait- WHAT?
How could they find out something like that? And what is 'flaming' a video exactly? Yea it was probably shit, the dude was undressing himself, but who the fuck would watch something that shitty and how could they possibly find out where they live? Even if they did, nobody would bother going over there to ring the doorbell all night. They wouldn't watch it. If the video is getting "flamed" then just take it down? This doesn't make any sense. At least the choir practice of that same song again sounded decent I suppose. It's not great, all kind of mispronunciation but it's the best this show has ever done.

This episode gets 4 boxes full of artsy schmaltz crammed into a minivan out of ten.

"Funny, IT-kun didn't seem to react to him as if he knew who it was..."

This is a load of nonsense.

As soon as IT sees his dad in the previous episode the camera shows a shocked and embarrassed closeup of him and then cuts to a slow zoom of his dad clearly implying a connection. 13:10 if you want a timestamp.

Then afterwards, once they're outside of the building and hus dad is being talked to by the police we see every boy staring at him apart from IT-kun who is looking away (20:55). Then it cuts to a closeup of IT-kun looking down appearing embarrassed and sad.

Not only was their relationship hinted, it could only have been more obvious by having the dad hold up a sign saying "I AM IT-KUN'S DAD"
Dec 10, 2023 3:40 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to RowinHaddick
SuperAdventure said:
NO!
It's a complete mess.

Ok wait- WHAT?

"Funny, IT-kun didn't seem to react to him as if he knew who it was..."

This is a load of nonsense.

As soon as IT sees his dad in the previous episode the camera shows a shocked and embarrassed closeup of him and then cuts to a slow zoom of his dad clearly implying a connection. 13:10 if you want a timestamp.

Then afterwards, once they're outside of the building and hus dad is being talked to by the police we see every boy staring at him apart from IT-kun who is looking away (20:55). Then it cuts to a closeup of IT-kun looking down appearing embarrassed and sad.

Not only was their relationship hinted, it could only have been more obvious by having the dad hold up a sign saying "I AM IT-KUN'S DAD"
@RowinHaddick

Why are you using an account that has only 2 forum posts in the past 2 years to tell me this?
SuperAdventureDec 10, 2023 3:44 PM
Dec 10, 2023 11:20 PM
Jul 2021
SuperAdventure said:
@RowinHaddick

Why are you using an account that has only 2 forum posts in the past 2 years to tell me this?

Because it's my only account?
Dec 11, 2023 3:20 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to RowinHaddick
SuperAdventure said:
@RowinHaddick

Because it's my only account?
@RowinHaddick

Not sure about that... but since you say so I'll think about taking you at your word.

Dec 11, 2023 9:10 PM
Jul 2021
SuperAdventure said:
@RowinHaddick

Not sure about that... but since you say so I'll think about taking you at your word.

@SuperAdventure do you think I spent the time to score 113 anime on an alt?

Regardless, did you happen to look at what I actually wrote and see that the streamer being IT's dad was in fact clearly hinted at?
Dec 28, 2023 8:24 PM
Jan 2018
Reply to RowinHaddick
This episode was so different in absolutely every aspect to other episodes that I initially thought I had clicked on the wrong show and had to check to make sure I was actually watching Kawagoe Boys.

I was incredibly close to dropping this after the dumpster fire that was the previous episode, but wow did this episode redeem this show.
@RowinHaddick It's incredible that that's exactly what I thought of this episode. I also thought I had clicked on the wrong anime, until I waited long enough to see the little robot and I saw that it was actually in the right anime. I don't know if the studio or director of this episode changed, but it was certainly very different from the others, with more frames, more fluid animation and some impressive set of scenes. It's a shame that in the next episode, everything is back to normal and the quality drops again. But I really want to see what will happen on the 2nd day since IT is back
Dec 28, 2023 10:55 PM

Feb 2019
that was bittersweet. sometimes, some parents are just as irresponsible as IT-kun's dad, so he gets dragged into all sorts of mess, after building himself a new home and friends that he gets along with.
Jan 22, 3:07 PM

Apr 2008
I only watch this anime for Hibiki sensei lmao, sometimes I like him, other times he gets on my nerves. He takes no prisoners and just tells everything like it is 😂. I was dying when he jumped through the window of IT's dad's car. This anime is okay I just think it is doing too much with too many characters for it being such a short series.
SevenJan 22, 3:13 PM
Feb 6, 4:20 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Dang. IT's mom pulled the old "going to the store to buy some milk then never came back" thing. Except that was a lie since she left a note.
I think it's good that IT's dad saw that he needed to change though. He's been ruining his life and the important connections IT had. That and holy moly this guy, though the gun was fake, put so many people at risk and didn't even call the police like holy moly he was irresponsible. Imagine this happening in real life. As chaotic as last episode was, I think it makes people really wanting to find this clown a lot more real.

@SuperAdventure Ohhh trust me, people have doxxed people for way less than that. This guy sent delivery workers over to get taken hostage, never called the police once, and decided to strip and dance for the sake of views or whatever instead of actually helping. He also potentially put himself at risk which could have left his child alone, but that's not something the viewers would probably know. Overall, what he did was pretty bad even if it ended okay. I'm not surprised that people came after him. If all of what happened last episode happened in real life then IT's dad would be beyond a menace.

You don't have to do much to find out where someone lives. They usually just start asking people in that area if they've seen someone who looks like the dude in the video. I see people do this all the time for porch thief videos on sites like Nextdoor and such. You just ask around.
And they'd definitely watch the whole thing. Some of the viewers of the video were even calling the police. Maybe they'd even stick around to see if the police would show up. Like it's not just him in the video, there's a serious situation going on. Someone taking hostages at gunpoint in Japan is also rare. There are a ton of reasons why curious or concerned people would keep on watching.

Even if you take off the video, it's very likely that someone has already saved and uploaded it again. That tends to be the case when this type of thing happens in real life. I think the only thing that's maybe not likely is them coming to his actual door. Most people, at least in the US, wouldn't dare go to the door. They do send death threats and such in the mailbox, but they know they could get caught if they go to the door. I'm not sure about Japan when it comes to actually going to the door. The rest of this has absolutely been done many times before.

And then, like RowinHaddick said, yes IT reacted to him like he knew who he was more than once-- and in a pretty big way too. Also, I do believe the orders the dad was making was going through to the robot IT had, implying that they share the robot in some way (turns out because they're family).

By typing all this I just mean to say it oddly enough ended up making a lot more sense than even I expected. No worries, most of the things actually do check out.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 6, 12:55 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to Swiggy
Dang. IT's mom pulled the old "going to the store to buy some milk then never came back" thing. Except that was a lie since she left a note.
I think it's good that IT's dad saw that he needed to change though. He's been ruining his life and the important connections IT had. That and holy moly this guy, though the gun was fake, put so many people at risk and didn't even call the police like holy moly he was irresponsible. Imagine this happening in real life. As chaotic as last episode was, I think it makes people really wanting to find this clown a lot more real.

@SuperAdventure Ohhh trust me, people have doxxed people for way less than that. This guy sent delivery workers over to get taken hostage, never called the police once, and decided to strip and dance for the sake of views or whatever instead of actually helping. He also potentially put himself at risk which could have left his child alone, but that's not something the viewers would probably know. Overall, what he did was pretty bad even if it ended okay. I'm not surprised that people came after him. If all of what happened last episode happened in real life then IT's dad would be beyond a menace.

You don't have to do much to find out where someone lives. They usually just start asking people in that area if they've seen someone who looks like the dude in the video. I see people do this all the time for porch thief videos on sites like Nextdoor and such. You just ask around.
And they'd definitely watch the whole thing. Some of the viewers of the video were even calling the police. Maybe they'd even stick around to see if the police would show up. Like it's not just him in the video, there's a serious situation going on. Someone taking hostages at gunpoint in Japan is also rare. There are a ton of reasons why curious or concerned people would keep on watching.

Even if you take off the video, it's very likely that someone has already saved and uploaded it again. That tends to be the case when this type of thing happens in real life. I think the only thing that's maybe not likely is them coming to his actual door. Most people, at least in the US, wouldn't dare go to the door. They do send death threats and such in the mailbox, but they know they could get caught if they go to the door. I'm not sure about Japan when it comes to actually going to the door. The rest of this has absolutely been done many times before.

And then, like RowinHaddick said, yes IT reacted to him like he knew who he was more than once-- and in a pretty big way too. Also, I do believe the orders the dad was making was going through to the robot IT had, implying that they share the robot in some way (turns out because they're family).

By typing all this I just mean to say it oddly enough ended up making a lot more sense than even I expected. No worries, most of the things actually do check out.
@Swiggy

This is a decent- and VERY generous review of the episode, I would say, it seems like you put an awful lot of thought into it- and I suppose if you have reasoned it out to make sense by the end, then for you it was fine.
I did not put any near as much thought as I watched it because I just didn't want to try and add up all the weird nonsense they were showing into a whole; and just reacted to my impressions.
Rather than pointing to their writing I'd just point out that this studio has zero experience under its belt and were basically flying blind with this one- and so the flaws that I see in it might not seem to be flaws to everyone- but trust me THERE ARE FLAWS and there are many in this series.
But even though I watched it purely out of the raw entertainment value of seeing something apparently experimental work its way through a season, I enjoyed the experience overall. And hope they make either a followup to this, or another uniquely interesting anime.

It sure is better than watching some garbage isekai

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawagoe Boys Sing Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 16, 2023

9 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 26, 8:32 PM

Poll: » Kawagoe Boys Sing Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2023

25 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 26, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Kawagoe Boys Sing Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 15

11 by Bisalissy »»
Mar 25, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Kawagoe Boys Sing Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 25, 2023

8 by Bisalissy »»
Mar 25, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Kawagoe Boys Sing Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 27, 2023

9 by Swiggy »»
Feb 6, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.