Forum Settings
Forums
May 23, 2010 7:07 AM

Apparently now thailand has a curfew because of the red shirt and politics, so 9pm-5am if anyone is seen outside they are either arrested or shot. And its dangerous to wear a yellow shirt and red shirt as well =[
Vacation could be sucking just about now xD

May 23, 2010 8:36 AM

Wow, and one of my co-workers is planning on vacationing there... I wonder how it will be for him.

May 23, 2010 11:37 AM
How ridiculous.

May 23, 2010 12:15 PM
But . . . but my normal weekdays schedule starts from about 4:00 am to 10:00 pm :-( and my weekend schedule is from 3:00 pm to about 3:00 am.

All the sudden I feel glad that I am not living in Thailand ^-^

And by the way, I don't really understand what exactly is going on here. Anyone mind explaining to me how exactly did this whole curfew thing started in Thailand?

May 25, 2010 5:56 PM
That's a little messed up. How could they do that?

May 25, 2010 6:16 PM

That's is scary and a little bit harsh. Arrested or getting shot wow... There must be some crazy colored uniform gang warfare going on.

May 25, 2010 6:25 PM

lol no one pay attention to any news, or the first sentence. the red shirts are anti-government protesters. this article should clear that up
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8004306.stm

May 25, 2010 8:12 PM

I really don't see how they could do that.
I mean here if your over 18 you got the right to be out whenever as long as you are not bugging anyone.

May 25, 2010 8:20 PM

Shot?? Too bad for foreigners...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

May 25, 2010 8:27 PM

Jiynnx said:
How ridiculous.
In times of conflict, I don't see it ridiculous. But you'll welcome to explain how we should all have the freedom to do random shit when the city you're in is especially not safe to walk around in times of conflict, especially at night. But then again, I'm posting in the same way you've posted without any idea of what the conflict in Thailand really is.

May 25, 2010 9:06 PM

Basically, there were a bunch of anti-government protests, and they got VERY violent. Shootings, people dying, the whole shebang. So to try and clamp down on riots and other violent acts, the government has instituted a curfew.

Reasonable to prevent violence, unreasonable due to the dictorial extremism.

May 25, 2010 10:29 PM
My niece along with her student group is there for their study abroad program and they had to come back earlier than anticipated because of all the turmoil going on. Yeah i don't know much about the curfew thing but just saying.
Modified by Shiorii, May 25, 2010 10:32 PM

May 26, 2010 2:06 AM

Yeah the situation there is quite bad at the moment :(
I have some family members there as well, so it is very worrying.

May 26, 2010 3:27 AM

Gogetters said:
I really don't see how they could do that.
I mean here if your over 18 you got the right to be out whenever as long as you are not bugging anyone.
Actually in bangkok about 200 teens got together and went out on a rampage, broke into McDonalds and stole all the food (lol), and broke into the mall and stole the item brands. So i guess in Chiang Mai they are doing it too for precautions.

If you ask me about the whole red shirts thing, it actually started from something stupid. The guy that started the yellow shirt was someone that needed money and asked a loan from someone named Tuxin. Tuxin didnt give him the loan and so the yellow shirts was started. Then Tuxin to counter that started the red shirts which mainly consists of the poor people. They were paid like a 1000 baht each day to go out and protest. Now that the leaders of red shirt just basically gave up the people are kinda mad, which is pretty stupid since in the first place all they wanted was the money they got for protesting. And some dumbass people just take this chance to do whatever the hell they want. I see all this as pretty childish and a lot of them just =FAIL.... But of course i cant say this out loud or ill be shot or put in prison =]

May 26, 2010 4:22 AM

Oh look, it's governments being tyrannical again.

What what I understand about the Red Shirts, I thoroughly sympathize with them.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.

May 26, 2010 8:13 AM

ukonkivi said:
Oh look, it's governments being tyrannical again.
What what I understand about the Red Shirts, I thoroughly sympathize with them.

I'm the opposite.

I'm more incline to blame the protesters. They even bombarded a hospital just to seek out policemen (which they think was hiding there, but none was found), leaving the sick couldn't have their treatments done.

Afterwards, the Prime Minister offered these protesters to have another 'national voting' for government if I'm not wrong, and ultimately resolve the situation. But the protesters decline, wanting the PM to be charged by law first.

So yeah, I'm blaming the protesters. They were actually offered money to do this protest by the former PM who wants to be in power again.

May 26, 2010 8:22 AM

I think the red shirts are pretty fcked up, after they gained power they decided that protesting against the government wasnt enough and went on to protesting about homosexuals..

May 26, 2010 8:30 AM

Wow, having a curfew is bad enough, but actually getting shot t because of it. Wow.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 27, 2010 2:20 AM

seif said:
They were actually offered money to do this protest by the former PM who wants to be in power again.

Then again, I could know more about them.

May 27, 2010 5:21 AM

It's definitely not the government being tyrannical or ridiculous. It's necessary to protect the people. Planning and carrying out criminal activities are easier in the dark, and the whole country's still traumatised from months of daily protests and weeks of violence.

From what I know, the current government's policies are not very advantageous to the poor, and so when Thaksin - the former PM - offered money to the people to protest against the current government, they took it happily. I guess their cause wasn't too bad in the beginning, but it wasn't bringing results, so they decided to get violent.

I also think it was more about a bunch of people having fun than about actually bringing about a change. Group dynamics can really change a person, and they could just use terms like 'reform' to justify their violence. It happened before in my country - they wanted change, but they started burning unrelated people's homes and looting their properties - which have nothing to do with their initial desire for change. Stupid really.

May 27, 2010 5:37 AM

Athena said:
From what I know, the current government's policies are not very advantageous to the poor.

Then while maybe not at the hands of the red shirts, I'm definitely not against an anti-governmental, uprising of the poor.

Of course one must always worry about problems when such people group together. The Red Guard was a proletarian uprising by very label, but also caused deeds just as horrible as what these red shirts are doing. In fact, considering the scale of the horrors of the Red Guard, I don't think it could come anywhere close in terms of "country traumatization" as them by even a long short(it's like comparing the Holocaust to Klan hangings) I don't confuse this Red Shirts group as particularly red as much as anarchist seeming.

In case someone wants to come tell me that they're "not really reds, it's just a shirt". Though part of the purpose does seem to be an at least slightly left anarchist uprising, whether the red in "red shirts" has any significance or not. They does seem to be some claim to fighting for prole here.

This is why poor uprising and leftism MUST come with ethics attached to it. Some people seem to claim that leftists are overly moralfags, but if you don't, you have cases rise of extreme class genocide.

But that being said, again, the rage of the poor is always justified. And if this Red Shirts group are giving the proletariat a bad name, that's very sad.

May 27, 2010 7:11 AM

wow,that sucks...

Xiaoling Squirrel; baddest rodent in the forest.

May 27, 2010 8:01 AM

dawnwan said:
wow,that sucks...

seconding that.