Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 26, 2010 2:16 AM

Jan 2009
Nice episode. Can't wait for the next one though. I miss my nami~!
May 26, 2010 2:22 PM

Jul 2006
cafe-kun said:
ahh too many spoilers here. oh my innocent eyes. Looking forward to the next.
seeing a silhouette of a few new characters is not a spoiler =\ Especially when it doesn't give out any plot elements/powers/etc.

May 26, 2010 7:09 PM

Mar 2010
Good episode, but left me feeling kind of empty. Probably because there was no real ass kicking in this one.
May 27, 2010 9:39 AM

Feb 2009
I... I can't believe it... I finally caught up! What a huge ride, after 450 episodes One Piece is still as exciting as ever unlike all the other shounens... Now I face a choice... to read or not to read...

This arc wasn't bad, but it was FAR from the best arcs in one Piece, my mainly gripe with it was it's slow pace and uninsteresting fights, but it did deliver som great moments and broughtback some old faces.
May 27, 2010 12:27 PM

Dec 2008
Veethorn said:
I... I can't believe it... I finally caught up! What a huge ride, after 450 episodes One Piece is still as exciting as ever unlike all the other shounens... Now I face a choice... to read or not to read...

This arc wasn't bad, but it was FAR from the best arcs in one Piece, my mainly gripe with it was it's slow pace and uninsteresting fights, but it did deliver som great moments and broughtback some old faces.

That's mainly a prob of the anime, they indeed dragged certain parts 2 much imo. When reading the impel down part in the manga it was great from beginning to end
May 27, 2010 7:43 PM

Jul 2009
I agree with Veethorn; I've never marathon-watched this many episodes before, but it was totally worth it! I keep wondering if I should read the manga from this point on and see exactly what happens; Ace is a real favourite of mine, I need my fix T__T
May 28, 2010 5:14 AM

Apr 2008
This is gonna be epic xD

May 28, 2010 1:57 PM

Apr 2008
Finally! Captain Buggy is getting the recognition he deserves!
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
May 29, 2010 1:31 AM

Feb 2009
Zatoichi said:
Finally! Captain Buggy is getting the recognition he deserves!

He doesn't want it!
May 30, 2010 6:52 PM

Aug 2008
MorningGlory said:
Looking at Buggy ,remind me the guy Mr.Satan in dragon ball
Exactly what I was thinking. But even Mr. Satan had his uses, I'm sure Buggy will do the same. For a complete clown, literally, he's become quite powerful thanks to the Impel Down breakout.
May 30, 2010 11:46 PM

Apr 2009
the moment with Whitebeard's crew was pretty much epic.. tho it was only for a couple of seconds x(
May 31, 2010 1:06 AM

Apr 2010
w3w... i guess nami can learn new technique there...
May 31, 2010 1:07 AM

Apr 2010
Franky too maybe he can also learn technique there..
Jul 11, 2010 4:28 PM

Mar 2008
Arrghhh I miss Bon-chan now...

And, I wonder will Hancock be ok? She is going to be involved in a war against Whitebeard...

Luffy is trying to save Ace, but will he side with Whitebeard or not? I'm sooo looking forward to seeing the battles begin... Kinda don't want to know about the rest of the crew for now.

I think I'll stop watching until the next arc is complete. Was a good arc all and all...
Jul 12, 2010 12:20 AM

Apr 2009
Sintaku said:
Arrghhh I miss Bon-chan now...

And, I wonder will Hancock be ok? She is going to be involved in a war against Whitebeard...

Luffy is trying to save Ace, but will he side with Whitebeard or not? I'm sooo looking forward to seeing the battles begin... Kinda don't want to know about the rest of the crew for now.

I think I'll stop watching until the next arc is complete. Was a good arc all and all...

wow you already catched up so quickly :D

surprised.
May 14, 2011 12:16 PM

Jul 2007
This episode was pretty slow, just a bunch of cheering, figuring out that buggy is from the gol d rogers crew. The most interesting part of the episode was when they got the phone call and luffy just reluctantly picked it up with out a second though. I thought that was kind of funny. Also we finally see Shiliew's true motives. The blackbeard pirates are back because of Shiliew healing them with an antidote and now he wants to join the BB pirates. Damn now they have another really strong ally on there team.

If you think about buggy, even though he seems weak. He has been through alot just like luffy has. I know it seems ridiculous to say this, but so far no one has been able to hurt buggy at all. Not even a scratch has really be felled him and he has been in many dangerous situations, where other pirates have nearly been killed. Including blackbeards crew. For some reason he always gets out of things alive, even though if he comes off as being the most pathetic pansy wasted character in the series.

I think there is more to buggy then meets the eye. That is what i think anyways, i mean come on, he is part of the Gol D roger crew for a reason. I sure Gold roger wouldn't just pick up some weak ass pirate if he knew he wasn't special in some way. Maybe he carries the the blood of the legendary pirates from the old age. What ever the case, he just always comes out of things alive.

Well now they have finally escaped the impenetrable impel down. It is about damn time. This arc is finally finished. They have quite the team now to. I wonder how they will be able to handle the upcoming war.

The war that we been waiting for so long and hearing so much bout 100 episodes back, is finally going to be underway soon. I can't wait.

Although i was kind of hoping that the rest of the straw hats would partake in the upcoming war. But i guess this part of the story is more centered on luffy and rescuing his brother ace.

I am glad though that we get to see some episodes with the remaining straw hats before the war commences, so i look forward to those episodes. Its a been a while.
ArtimesGamerMay 14, 2011 12:40 PM

May 14, 2011 12:18 PM

Jul 2007
Dreamtime said:
Yay for Pandaman

Wow i didn't even catch that lol. pandaman from Sabypody archipeligo. How the hell did he get locked up in impel down.

May 14, 2011 12:19 PM

Jul 2007
evilantman said:
But if he had two arms luffy would be died :(

True, shanks is single handily responsible for luffy living on.
ArtimesGamerMay 14, 2011 12:42 PM

May 14, 2011 12:20 PM

Jul 2007
adam_lied said:
Cant believe they're throwing fillers in at this point in the story :( atleast we can see the strawhats again for a while :D
however this was a good episode and enjoyed seeing pandaman around as well. and buggys going to get a huge rise on his bounty after all this.

It isn't filler. its cover pages illustrated by oda. Showing what the rest of the straw hats other adventures are.

May 14, 2011 12:24 PM

Jul 2007
smokes said:
^i'm just annoyed..

Oda made them.. they are cover stories.. the animators just makes them more detailed.. ( you cant have cover pages in anime dont you ?)

link9us said:
Has Yibis even subbed this episode yet? Cause i don't wana dl it from crappy subbing group.

usually after a day..

and you should watch this also.. Funimation is the official subs anyways..
yibis are a fan subbing group btw

yeah now that ive seen it. I don't like funisubs. I wish i could of saw the yibis version. They used pretty stupid vocabulary, like they use "queers" instead of the proper word "okama". They also make luffy sound like a punk, using alot of slange language and the F word and all that shit. That is just stupid.

Yibis retains the original special language of one piece just like DB subs.

Funi also didn't translate things properly during parts where they shown the over view maps of the navy HQ.
ArtimesGamerMay 14, 2011 12:44 PM

May 14, 2011 12:27 PM

Jul 2007
mellonii said:
I prefer yibis, but I'm too lazy to wait a day. x3
FUNisub's okay, but their quality's a little laggy and their attack translations and such are so annoying. >:O

Anywho, I've been waiting for these types of fun, lighthearted episodes, I miss the crew so much. :D

Exactly, thats what i mean.

May 14, 2011 12:30 PM

Jul 2007
JusticeGundam said:
cafe-kun said:
ahh too many spoilers here. oh my innocent eyes. Looking forward to the next.
seeing a silhouette of a few new characters is not a spoiler = Especially when it doesn't give out any plot elements/powers/etc.

Some people like to be surprised bout the appearances of new characters, so yeah its a spoiler.

Read the top: anything that is beyond the anime episodes, is not allowed in these discussions, regardless if its information, pics, giff images, what ever.

May 14, 2011 12:33 PM

Jul 2007
Veethorn said:

yeah it was ok. There were some great moments towards the end and some pretty cool moments introducing all the new old characters in the story. But yeah the fights i found kind of uninteresting accept megellens. But this arc was nothing like Sabypody Archipeligo. Plus not having the regular crew of the straw hats is something i just don't think i can get over. One piece just is not the same with out them. :(

May 14, 2011 8:14 PM

Feb 2009
link9us said:
Veethorn said:

yeah it was ok. There were some great moments towards the end and some pretty cool moments introducing all the new old characters in the story. But yeah the fights i found kind of uninteresting accept megellens. But this arc was nothing like Sabypody Archipeligo. Plus not having the regular crew of the straw hats is something i just don't think i can get over. One piece just is not the same with out them. :(

I greatly enjoyed Crocodile cameos, as well as Daz Bones, that guy is just cool. Crocodile and Daz Bones give me the same feeling as Luffy and Zoro. Also Blackbeard was bad-ass. And the giant attack from Luffy by the end of the arc was great. Overall those were my favorite moments of Impel Down.
Jul 24, 2011 1:31 AM

Feb 2010
What about favorite characters? My favorite Impel Down character was Inazuma.
Aug 6, 2011 2:11 AM

May 2010
Well after reeling from the emotional previous episode.. I tried watching again haha.. really can't resist One Piece :-D Well we finally find out Blackbeard's motive.. recruiting Shinyryuu? Anyhow.. it just goes to show how dangerous Magellan really is..I really didn't want to believe he took out Teach's crew in one shot haha
Loved the portion when Luffy and Buggy's history were revealed.. being on Gol D. Roger ship must mean Buggy has something special in him.. even thought his fighting capabilities are not spectacular he can really rally the people!
Can't wait until they reach Navy HQ! :-D
Oct 25, 2011 9:56 AM

Jul 2010
when u look at it on paper, biggy DOES seem like someone who can grow up to be someone big, i would have liked him if he wasnt such a douche though, lol

Nov 24, 2012 9:02 AM

Mar 2010
Um Buggy got to much attention..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 2, 2014 7:11 AM

Dec 2012
Well, well it's nice to see the other straw hats. I missed them :)
But I am guessing after those episodes the real epicness of One Piece is about to start. I hope we will also see Shanks fight :3
Aug 19, 2014 6:16 PM

Jul 2014
I laughed wayy too much when they were over praising buggy. I feel like they're gonna bolster is bounty & reputation way above his feeble existence.

I can see it now, Buggy the infamous clown, bounty $350,000,000 lol
Oct 8, 2014 3:31 AM

Jan 2014
Nice set up. Also agree with the guy that said Inazuma is Impel Down's best character.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 24, 2014 5:59 AM

Oct 2013
Damn Buggy thought he could take over the ship xD

Jun 15, 2015 5:29 AM

Jun 2015
damn it's getting exciting
Light-Yagami-GodJun 15, 2015 5:56 AM
Aug 30, 2015 1:00 PM

Mar 2015
The panda man cameos are becoming more and more obvious
Feb 23, 2016 10:52 AM

Apr 2010
It's going to be an epic arc :3
Apr 17, 2016 1:00 PM

Mar 2015
but they said that there isnt any antidote for magellans poison...blackbeard should have died
Jul 27, 2016 10:21 AM

Mar 2015
Lel and to think we all off-handedly dismissed Buggy being a member of Gold Roger's crew alongside Shanks cause he was mostly comic relief.. he's still not so strong but hey the name carries weight
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 21, 2016 11:18 AM
Oct 2015
Maybe one day Shanks will eat the arm arm fruit and get his arm back. I'll start a petition.
Nov 2, 2016 3:17 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
MorningGlory said:
Looking at Buggy ,remind me the guy Mr.Satan in dragon ball

buggy is way worse ...

Mar 19, 2017 6:30 PM

May 2014
Lol Buggy is like this arc's Usopp, I swear XD

I also laughed my butt off at Luffy's "wash your potatoes and wait!"

Things looking to get pretty serious soon :O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2019 6:06 PM

Jun 2016
I loved this episode. This is how you make an episode which mostly consisted of one single ship with only brief looks outside of it fascinating. It had so many great character moments, it was touching, exciting, plot moving, and hilarious. It's the kind of episode I love in One Piece and it was the first time I felt similar depth to the Straw Hats with the new group.

Firstly, Magellan did basically kill Blackbeard's crew. What you guys said was right, they went down like everyone else did when they faced Magellan. They are no exception. Due to the name and all I assumed he could just suck that poison into darkness. Yet, he couldn't. It was Shiryu who saved them with an antidote, after all the poison they took was nothing more than one Hydra, something that we've seen can be healed by an antidote. Further, I found it a powerful scene for those guys, they were able to laugh off near death, 'when you die you die, no point worrying about it' a quality we see in Luffy too. I wonder if the 'fate' obsessed sniper has anything to do with the 'fate' obsessed voodoo supernova Hawkins.

Next, I had assumed Ivan had sacrificed himself to save Inazuma by injecting energy hormones into himself rather than healing hormones. However, it seems it was nothing more than Luffy treatment, but perhaps the poison wasn't as bad as Luffy's so he was able to heal it comparatively quickly with healing and energy hormones but promptly lost years of his life at the same time. Although it seemed only antidote or healing hormones could heal the poison, Inazuma is being healed naturally so that he won't lose years of his life which is reasonable. Those two could have ended up far worse!

I found the scene where Luffy and Mr. 3 mourned over Bon Clay quite special. It was a small scene but it showed that Bon Clay was the closest friend to the two of them and they were really worried for his sake and sad for his sacrifice. And more of Mr. 3 realizing that he did like Bon Clay this whole time even if he rejected it himself. It was small but it was meaningful and I think it only grew the two of them closer. Perhaps Mr. 3 will overcome his selfish nature and decide to fight really hard to make sure Bon Clay's sacrifice wasn't for nothing, although that may be pushing it and honestly I'm super happy with the depth he's already been given. <3

Meanwhile Buggy has seriously shot up to one of my favorite anime characters of all time. He is a man of admirable and pathetic qualities. He's both a weasel with ungrounded arrogance who clings to the strong and a charismatic, manipulative leader who can rally up any number of people under him. He may not be a mastermind but he's able to believe in himself and decide to do ridiculous things and refuse to give up on them, he's one tenacious and opportunistic bastard. And, despite the fact that he's able to forget about Bon Clay moments after his potential death and celebrate, and no matter how he can leave behind anyone who's problematic to him, he has a hypocritical but human side nonetheless where he admires the heroic sides of people yet chooses to never muster them up himself. He started as a simple gag villain, but alike Mr. 3 and Bon Clay and nearly every One Piece character, when they're around long enough you get to know them on a much deeper level and I love how Buggy's a chaotic, selfish foil to Luffy in how rash and straight forward he acts when it comes to what he wants to do. Seeing him rally up the whole ship and quickly change the horrible scenario he was tossed into to one where he can become the king of the pirates was hilarious. He's a scumbag weasel, but he's tenacious and endearing one. It was nice to get his whole background outlined here, a roger pirate and Shank's kyoudai, or sworn brother. The more you see of him the more you can understand why he has so many devoted followers and why he's been involved with so many legends of the world. I want to see his relationship with Shanks so badly now.

So, it makes sense when the navy saw Luffy and Buggy were together from the beginning of Impel Down and when they checked Buggy's background that they would decide he's the second in command here. I adored how Luffy answered "it's the navy", with "hello, it's Luffy". It was very kid goku-esque.

I found Jimbei quite touching this episode too. He knows about Luffy's past with Arlong as he's the one who, if I recall, became a Warlord to free Arlong from prison and unleashed him onto the sea. But, now’s not the time to mourn or apologize or pay back debts. Instead, Jimbei thinks now is the time for them live up the Queer-kun's expectations. I love how Jimbei knows what needs to be done, feels guilt for the sacrifice, went against Bon Clay's orders and made sure Luffy and his friends got parting words with him, and now wants to make darn sure that sacrifice wasn't for nothing. He's a much more 'wise' character than most I think. That and him and Croc having some words together was interesting.

I think this episode was a reminder to me that, although it's impossible for the new cast to be as 'deep' or nuanced as the Straw Hats due to the amount of raw time we've had with them, the Straw Hats didn't always seem 'deep' either. Instead, like back then, the more time we have with new cast the more we get to know their strengths, weaknesses and idiosyncrasies. It's what gives them that depth, and I'm certainly seeing it in everyone so far. The more I see of them the more I like them. :)

P.S. Lot's of Franky voice acting background characters and 3 or 4 panda mans? Weird! Also, serious Hiei vibes from Crocodile & Mr. 1's ability to kill an entire ship of people for getting in their way in an instant.
Aug 28, 2020 8:53 PM

May 2016
Now that they mentioned it, the Gates of Justice in Marineford a very big problem that I didn't really think about until now. It'd be pretty difficult to get someone to open it up but with Boa and possibly Kuma in there to help, they might just be able to pull it off.

Shiryu joining the Blackbeard Pirates was both an awesome and shocking revelation. It certainly was the best way to handle his character since he hasn't really showed what he's really capable of yet.

Everyone finding out about Buggy's connections to the members of Gold Roger's crew and everything that transpired after that was some glorious comedy right there!

Sep 29, 2020 3:20 AM

Dec 2007
buggy is the savior from the mutiny xD

next episodes going to be good change of atmosphere before the big arc will begin.
May 29, 2021 6:15 AM

Jun 2019
Epicness coming our way soon...
Nov 12, 2021 4:25 PM

May 2020
A great wrap-up to the Impel Down arc. I did find it a bit weird that Luffy was so surprised to hear Jinbei was a warlord though. I could've sworn someone pointed that out to Luffy and he even commented on it back they first released Jinbei.
Jun 22, 2022 4:21 AM

Jan 2021
This is exactly what I wanted I want Buggy to get his recognition because it’s a shame that him and shanks were both on Roger’s ship but everyone knows Shank’s because he’s made a name for himself while Buggy is treated like a low level pirate but now he can start making a name for himself since everyone now knows about his past
Aug 13, 2022 6:03 PM

Dec 2018
worst show ever in the history of anime
Feb 6, 2023 9:16 AM
May 2016
Sad, just sad
but in a good way, like a feelings kind of way
Jun 14, 2023 8:34 PM
Oct 2019
Captain Buggy!!
Once a Clown always a Clown 🤡
Jul 9, 2023 2:33 AM
Jul 2018
So it seems there is an antidote to Magellan’s poison, I wonder how Shiryu knew about it, after all Shiryu had probably been locked up for years and the doctors hadn’t found a cure yet.

I’m glad that we got some context on how Ivankov managed to recover easily from Magellan’s poison. He said something about being hit by only one type of poison and that was his lucky break but could it also be a weakness that can be exploited?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 397 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 19, 2009

91 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 396 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Somebody - Apr 12, 2009

195 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 395 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Apr 5, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 394 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Mar 29, 2009

66 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 393 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JudgeRuthless - Mar 15, 2009

74 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.