Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2008 10:07 AM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
i would say it's not too bad. i didn't plan to watch it cos i think the graphics weren't fantastic XD. i ended up watching due to the plot. it's actually pretty interesting. parts such as seeking the murderer through reading the memories of the victim's memories. i would say it's a series that is worth watching on. at least for now. =p
KinetaMar 30, 2013 3:31 AM
Apr 16, 2008 3:36 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I expected a bit more if I'm honest, but the episode was pretty good. I like the music, too.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 16, 2008 6:32 PM

Jan 2007
i enjoyed this more than i thought i would. the concept is quite interesting. very much impressed.
Apr 16, 2008 6:44 PM

May 2007
It's an interesting moral question anyway... but, I'm wondering what the main conflict of the show is going to be. Wouldn't you think that every case would become pretty easy to solve now?
Apr 16, 2008 6:58 PM

Dec 2007
I thought the episode was pretty good and plan on continuing to watch it.

lowell said:
It's an interesting moral question anyway... but, I'm wondering what the main conflict of the show is going to be. Wouldn't you think that every case would become pretty easy to solve now?

Well, obviously different scenarios will be employed and the characters will most likely question their values (especially Aoki). And then there's the semi-mysterious director who sleeps with a gun hidden in a book so he can shoot himself in the head at any time.
Apr 16, 2008 7:18 PM

Mar 2007
lowell said:

Well the brain can only be read easily 48 hours after death, so if you have a victim lying in a ditch for longer then that, the case becomes much harder...there's also the question raised before the OP (i believe) of what happens to the 'souls' when a brain is read? Interesting animation style, well i don't hate it, i take it its a carry on from the old manga?

Dibs on Ishida!
Apr 16, 2008 8:18 PM

May 2007
Airsoft said:
And then there's the semi-mysterious director who sleeps with a gun hidden in a book so he can shoot himself in the head at any time.
...This is just my guess, but:
Apr 17, 2008 1:25 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
lowell said:
Airsoft said:
And then there's the semi-mysterious director who sleeps with a gun hidden in a book so he can shoot himself in the head at any time.
...This is just my guess, but:

Yeah, that's his reason I guess. He's one of the people who know this system best, he knows what would be done to his brain.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 17, 2008 1:29 AM

Oct 2007
Interesting show, brain part was kinda weird and sparked my curiosity.

Apr 17, 2008 2:44 AM

Nov 2007
That was kinda...awesome.
But that Maki guy, he really looks like a woman. I was pretty sure he was...
Apr 17, 2008 5:45 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
martusf said:

Haha, same here actually.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 17, 2008 7:21 AM

Jul 2007
cyruz said:
martusf said:

Haha, same here actually.

He's got Griffith lips.

I loved it, ranks right up there with Kurenai with the best first ep of the season. the music's great but sometimes inappropriate. I love how we don't see the typical high school protagonist in what is about 90% of all shows airing this season.

Sam is my sweet peach
Apr 17, 2008 11:38 AM

Sep 2007
I really liked it. I expected more to be honest, but it was still really good. So I'm waiting for the next episode.
Apr 17, 2008 1:15 PM

Jul 2007
so weird o_O
I liked the animation.. but not so much the idea of peeking into dead ppl's brains... >_>
I also think they should've switched the roles of the two main seiyuus... I think NamiDaisuke would've been better as Maki and Seki as the megane guy. I should become a seiyuu casting director, I have much complaints about casting lately xP
Apr 17, 2008 2:27 PM

Oct 2007
I expected more. I like the whole brain concept thing and everything, but I hope the cases become more complex and actually difficult to solve. I'm guessing that it will improve as the series progresses though.

Apr 17, 2008 3:36 PM

Jul 2007
Would be cool if this anime became reality at some point.. preferably while I'm still alive. Being able to up- and download information from ones brain! I'd be among the first to test and/or buy some kind of PDF interface for my brain!

gg, biologic technical research!

@Anime: Not very interesting, imo.. but maybe because I'm pretty genre biased.
Apr 17, 2008 6:15 PM

Feb 2008
i can already tell this anime is not going to be interesting to me. while the concept is rather interesting it cant really go beyond this episode without being repetitive and far too predictable.

the concept of reading the brain like that is not too far fetched. after all, your brain is nothing more than muscle and synapses[sp]. its really a matter of designing a device to capture those impulses. closest thing we got is MRI's and the like but with a few years of tech research we could read the brain externally. the issue is the moral side of it, and that can change with time.
Apr 17, 2008 10:44 PM

Sep 2007
The music made me lol, seemed extremely unfitting at times.

I really like the concept of the show, and the characters so far. It's too bad it has kind of a low-budget look at feel, but I'm very interested nevertheless.
Apr 18, 2008 12:00 AM

Aug 2007
I really enjoyed it. Madhouse did it again.
The characters are also pretty interesting.
Apr 18, 2008 10:15 AM

Sep 2007
Faust721 said:
i enjoyed this more than i thought i would. the concept is quite interesting. very much impressed.

Exactly. I really liked this a lot and yeah, I could've sworn Maki was a woman. But hey, it's Tomokazu Seki <3
Apr 18, 2008 12:05 PM

Jun 2007
Good first episode and promising show.
Still I can't befriend this damn unrealistic zooming of pictures. You often see it in sci-fi and shows how uber technology is but I hate it.

Soundtrack was also noticeable. :)
Apr 18, 2008 1:07 PM

Jun 2007
Pretty interesting. It was totally different from what I had thought it would be, but it was good, nevertheless, despite the fact that it seemed 'forced' at times.
Apr 18, 2008 6:28 PM

Oct 2007
the zooming in was pretty funny. the music upset me because like stated earlier i wanted to lol at times and ended up kinda upset when it took away from the episode (i.e. when they found the dude in the park). i'll keep watching i'm a sucker for a unique plot.
Apr 18, 2008 7:17 PM
Jun 2007
It's animation quality looked like something with an average budget from 6 to 7 years ago.

But I really enjoyed it. It kept me hooked the entire time.

Apr 18, 2008 10:26 PM

Feb 2007
While my sky-high expectations for the first episode weren't quite reached, it was still a great first episode. Looking forward to the more complex cases.
Apr 18, 2008 10:34 PM

Sep 2007
This anime is pure win! Now, NOW this is what I'm talking about. Finally, an anime that delves deeper into the human mind - even comes in the literal sense. A very promising epic of the season. This should've gotten more attention than that Soul Eater. Well, it's always like that anyways. The real good ones are underrated and those anime that are just stereotypical and pretty shallow are the popular ones. *sigh*
Apr 19, 2008 1:26 AM
Mar 2008
sweet plot, the horn music kinda ruined it for me during the mri part lol. also tryin to get over the dude with lipstick, but the plot is super interesting.
Apr 19, 2008 9:03 AM

Feb 2008
Found this to be pretty good, this anime has a really interesting story (brains! =P).
Apr 20, 2008 4:06 AM

Jul 2007
I was expecting something a little different, but it's still nice to see an original theme. I'll definitely keep watching.
Apr 21, 2008 10:58 AM

Feb 2008
Didn't care too much for the art & animation though it was ok I guess. I did like the premise of the show, and they seem to take it in an interesting direction. I hope for a bit more "police work" in the future, but either way, it's a show I'll be watching.
Apr 22, 2008 2:15 PM

Oct 2007
well, I'm really interested in which way this will develop ... although the concept itself is promising, I was hoping for something more interesting than 'plugging cables into the brain'
seriously ppl, have some imagination >_>

what an amazing trap-chan O.o I mean, you can't get more convincing, without dressing the guy in a skirt.

all in all, I'm optimistic.

funny factoid: this series is a shoujo (or josei, if you will)

Beware! For I wield the chair leg of truth!
Apr 22, 2008 5:31 PM
Mar 2008
It was an interesting first episode.
Animation is slightly below what I expected, I thought that Maki was a girl, and Aoki is not very interesting looking.
I hope that some more mind explosive cases happen later on in the series.
...kinda excited to see what this series has to offer.
Apr 23, 2008 4:48 PM

Jul 2007
Don't know about this. The concept is interesting, but the mystery this episode was way too obvious. From the second we saw the picture with that other guy i knew it was him and most of the circumstances around that person(being the lover of the girl before and all).

Hopefully the next mysteries are better.
Apr 28, 2008 7:48 PM

Apr 2008
Read the manga before, but did not complete it due to the incomplete english scanlations (too lazy to read the chinese ones)... But I really enjoyed the series... kinda up my alley!

And the animation is more mature, a fresh change from busty school girls or bishies.
May 19, 2008 9:50 AM

Oct 2007
i just got around to watching this episode, and I found the show and the premise pretty interesting. I'll see how it goes!
May 27, 2008 5:21 PM
Oct 2007
Actually I wasn't impressed. I think the insane technology didn't impress me (and why can they get pictures in such detail (zoom in on glasses then read the reflections- technology aside- people's memories are not like a tape recorder at all.)

and I'm not sure about that young guy that looks like a girl
Jul 31, 2008 5:47 AM
Jul 2008
I began watching this series on veoh but cannot find it anymore, I'd appreciate it if someone can let me know how I can watch this series online subbed in english/spanish please?
Dec 21, 2008 12:53 PM

Jan 2007
not a great episode,but still it had its good parts,i remember when i saw a summary of this anime,before it was released,it made me think of Minority Report but it is very different from what i imagined,it actually has some elements that are closer to another movie,the final cut(quite a bad movie imo),but still there are not many detective anime and as i love mystery i will continue watching this anime
Dec 27, 2008 12:34 PM

Apr 2007
I would have dropped it after 10 minutes if I didn't know that the anime is based on a manga of one of my favourite mangakas.
The brain thingy and the whole plot don't seem too promising, but I expect some nice character developing, that's why I keep watching it for now.
Jan 4, 2010 8:24 PM

Feb 2009
I thought Maki was a woman from the picture but I guess I am wrong. Anyway I am sure I want someone scanning my brain after death jeez I want all my secrets to die with me :P
Jeez there is other way to find a criminal I don't agree with that method, anyway does that guy always wear sunglasses.

For a first episode it was pretty dull I hope they do a better job in the following episode.
Aug 17, 2011 2:04 AM

Mar 2009
Quite a straightforward case. It was solved too quickly for my liking.
Sep 18, 2012 8:53 PM

Jan 2012
snorefest..

will give it a couple more cases..
Mar 1, 2014 4:12 AM

Aug 2013
Interesting concept. It was kind of obvious who the culprit was the moment they showed that picture with the other man. I hope the next case would be a bit more complex.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 29, 2014 8:30 PM

Jan 2013
The concept for this show is quite interesting and I really like it. However, this particular case was pretty boring. Hopefully they can come up with some more interesting cases.
Jun 13, 2015 5:46 AM

Jan 2013
A nice introduction to this show.
I love how the Director has a gun and bulletproof vest, obviously because he knows what will happen if he's killed.
At least this way he can destroy his brain if needed, and not get killed as easily in his chest for example.

xchee said:
Interesting concept. It was kind of obvious who the culprit was the moment they showed that picture with the other man. I hope the next case would be a bit more complex.

Yeah it kinda was.
Glad they were able to see the wife's final words though, she wanted to be with her husband and kids anyway :)
Mar 16, 2016 3:25 AM

Feb 2013
It was obvious who the killer was.
The anime doesn't look bad, but let's see how the story will develop.
Apr 17, 2016 12:38 AM

Aug 2015
I know there's gotta be a newbie so that the rest of the cast can explain things to him, thereby explaining things to the audience, but the way the protagonist reacts to things is ridiculous.
He applied for this job and started, knowing exactly what he was going into, supposedly did all the research, and yet throws up at the thought of holding a box that contains a brain? Then gets surprised about searching for the hippocampus for memories? I'm assuming everyone going into this job has got to have some level of professional understanding about the human brain, but it seems this guy has gone in blind.
Also, for him to have a moral dilemma right at the critical reveal... I know it's for dramatic effect, but it's rather annoying to see someone who's supposed to be working in the field behave like that. I hope he develops waaaay beyond this because this is going to get really old really fast.
ALSO... Did Section 9 (ghost in the shell ref?) not have a lip reader before? How on earth did they conduct their searches before? And why can't audio be retrieved from the brain along with visual?

Nitpicking aside, I liked this episode enough to continue with the series.

The director reminds me of Johan from Monster at this moment, and it's likely he'll be a favourite.
Aug 27, 2016 11:05 AM
Mar 2015
Interesting first episode. So the MC works for an organization that can look into the memories of dead people? And apparently enhance memories...
Jun 26, 2020 12:14 PM
Jun 2020
I just watched the first episode after reading the Manga and I was extremely disappointed. It isn't a good adaptation, the first interactions of Aoki with Maki and everyone is way too different. Aoki isn't the newbie in regards to Amachi and her role/character isn't the same. The graphic and gruesome but still beautiful scenes in the Manga since the beginning are inexistent here.
I was too hyped in watching the anime with high expectations that with one episode all went to hell and was dropped quickly. If I had watched the anime first it would be rated higher, it is a shame that didn't happen.
Oct 24, 2020 11:11 AM

Apr 2009
> Super advanced technology that can recreate visual, but not audial memory? Visuals are a lot harder to deal with than audio. They just needed this to get lip reader...
> The husband doesn't want to let them recreate the memory for no reason, but only to extend the plot for few minutes
> Convenient amnesia which doesn't happen in real life
> The culprit decides to kill his lover even knowing that so much time has past? I mean, kill her husband - maybe. Kill himself - possible. But why kill his love interest? No one would do that in that situation.

The plot is super bad.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Himitsu: Top Secret - The Revelation Episode 2 Discussion

cyruz - Apr 28, 2008

22 by Teletuu »»
Feb 26, 9:29 AM

Poll: » Himitsu: Top Secret - The Revelation Episode 26 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 27, 2009

21 by Mazoy »»
May 13, 2023 1:46 AM

Poll: » Himitsu: Top Secret - The Revelation Episode 8 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 16, 2008

13 by WatchTillTandava »»
Apr 29, 2020 5:20 PM

Poll: » Himitsu: Top Secret - The Revelation Episode 24 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 24, 2009

12 by Vaiketime2025 »»
Apr 15, 2017 6:00 PM

Poll: » Himitsu: Top Secret - The Revelation Episode 14 Discussion

cyruz - Feb 14, 2009

11 by Vaiketime2025 »»
Jan 21, 2017 5:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.