Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2010 6:53 AM

Jan 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
LOL. Echizen's been carrying that shaver in the match just for this? Poor Atobe Xp
Sep 1, 2011 2:02 PM

Jun 2010
lol, Echizen only won cuz is the main character

Why do people trust each other?
In the end, you're on your own.
Feb 1, 2012 1:33 PM

Jul 2010
:D ECHIZEN! <3 Well, kinda exaggerated, but xD I love Echizen. The shaver :')

To the semifinals!
Jul 30, 2012 9:10 AM

Jul 2008
And so the prince surpasses the king
Mitsuhashi_Takashi said:
What are you living for? This is your life, live for the sake of it! Screw what everyone else things! If they get in your way, just blow them away!
Jul 1, 2014 11:51 PM

Apr 2014
lost it when Atobe did the higuma otoshi

Overall, this OVA wasn't bad. It started out bad, but I came to like it by the end. Seigaku vs Hyotei will forever be the best matches <3
Aug 7, 2014 7:24 PM

Jul 2012
So, it was already unrealistic before but this season takes it to the next level...Prince of Bullshit :) It wasn't really good at all, but as a sports anime fan, still quite enjoyable overall, even if I was laughing half of the time. 6/10

I found this match to be a disappointment because I had high hopes for Atobe and his more strategical playing style but it turned out to be a "lets see who can copy each others move" game instead. I thought Echizen had more skill than this copying bullshit. Overall, a few of the matches were decent (Inui/Kaido against Hyotei was good) and the rest was just random shit put together, but yeah, still entertaining nevertheless.

Other comments: Animation is really good this season, but the plays were more bullshit than actual sports strategy which disappointed me. Even in the original, they had some realism in the matches but most of these ones were just Pokemon battles or "Let me copy your move"

I think, the pacing was a bit better but 13 episodes is really too short to cover two schools. One match per ep is a bit annoying because they skip over things and then you start noticing a pattern, which is: If both teams are equal, they like to have a 6-6, then tie breaker which lasts forever and whoever has better stamina/willpower wins.

Will watch the next part tomorrow, as well as the finals.
MayukaAug 26, 2014 10:36 AM
Jul 10, 2015 6:44 PM
May 2013
Horrible match. In overall 3/10
Aug 15, 2016 10:21 PM
Jul 2018
Meh. Ridiculous match and weak final episode. I don't really like Ryoma copying other people's techniques perfectly after just seeing it a few times-- seems too easy and convenient.

Ahh I love Prince of Tennis but this OVA left much to be desired. I mean, the original series dragged the matches out and sometimes that was too much but I liked the explanations for the techniques. This one was still fun to watch since I love the characters and am already a fan of the series, but the tennis was pretty awful for the most part. Just a battle of wills and random power ups and even weird supernatural-like stuff (Golden Pair synchronization wtf-- that match was actually really great up til then). I do like the quicker pacing for the matches but one match per episode is way too fast and they bypassed character development/background as well. I would have liked to learn more about the new schools and also what old rivals/schools had been up to since we last saw them in the Kantou tournament.

Gonna continue watching through the franchise though; I can't get enough of the characters! Excited to finally meet the Shitenhoji players..!!
Mar 13, 2017 6:39 PM

Sep 2011
No showing Atobe and his shaved head? Lame.

This OVA really highlights everything wrong with PoT. They spend too much time talking about these impossible moves and saying "Look! It's the X serve!" and not enough time on the actual matches.

It isn't entertaining to watch Echizen copying other people, either. He needs to toss his physics-defying abilities aside (like skidding on his ass the length of five courts to do his Drive B) and actually do something that utilizes his ambidextrous play. That was his selling point in the first few episodes and that's what made him interesting.
Jan 19, 2020 4:04 PM

Dec 2012
Pretty solid way to finish the Seigaku vs Hyotei rematch arc. I just wish key matches like this had been a bit longer as one episode is far too restricting. While the tension was there, the match just moves too fast and it's harder to savor the best moments.

With that said, I've certainly enjoyed the nationals thus far. Soldiering through the TV series wasn't always easy, but I feel wholly rewarded for making it this far. Seigaku vs Hyotei has definitely been the best of it and has set the bar high for the semifinals & beyond.

7.5/10
Feb 15, 2020 11:40 AM

Apr 2011
I expected more from Ryoma considering that he beat Tezuka once before going to America and he joined the US Open. This match was basically copying one's move *sighs*

I first watched this series way back in 2007, and I fell hard for it. I still love it until now. This OVA doesn't feel like POT at all though there are parts that I really enjoyed. Nonetheless, I'll still watch the continuation because I like Ryoma and the other characters (* ^ ω ^)

6/10

More topics from this board

Poll: » Prince of Tennis: The National Tournament Episode 5 Discussion

fishergirl16 - Jan 29, 2012

6 by melonnpanpan »»
Dec 28, 2022 2:22 PM

Poll: » Prince of Tennis: The National Tournament Episode 4 Discussion

TuzoAnime - Dec 2, 2009

22 by melonnpanpan »»
Dec 28, 2022 2:09 PM

Poll: » Prince of Tennis: The National Tournament Episode 7 Discussion

Eneeli - May 22, 2010

11 by Teylin »»
Nov 26, 2022 2:21 PM

Poll: » Prince of Tennis: The National Tournament Episode 12 Discussion

fishergirl16 - Jan 31, 2012

9 by NekoZamurai »»
Dec 8, 2021 12:03 PM

Poll: » Prince of Tennis: The National Tournament Episode 1 Discussion

removed-user - Jul 26, 2016

4 by NekoZamurai »»
Dec 7, 2021 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.