Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 20, 2010 5:14 PM

Dec 2009
Does it seem like drug use / abuse is rather uncommon in anime? I'm referring to actual street drugs, not invented sci-fi / fantasy drugs that you would never see in the real world.

Seeing a character with track marks in Clannad After story made me wonder about this. I realize that I watch a lot of lightweight shows, but I'm curious what other people have seen. Why would drug use (apparently) be so uncommon, when themes like incest and even shota (barf) are fairly common....?

Maybe taboos are different relative to culture?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 20, 2010 5:17 PM

Nov 2008
Drugs are taboo in Japan, you can't even get any unless you want to risk your life via Yakuza.

May 20, 2010 5:18 PM

Jun 2008
I never even noticed, but yeah. The only one I remember clearly is from Samurai Champloo.

I didn't know they were a taboo! Wow!
May 20, 2010 5:21 PM

Mar 2010
That's kinda silly.
May 20, 2010 6:09 PM
Sep 2009
But Japan's drug laws are much, much more stricter than in the ridiculous USA, where you can weed without breaking a sweat. Well, if you know the right people anyway, but it isn't that hard to get in touch.

Even for the smallest of drug abuse... For a foreigner, I believe it's deportation and 5 years of no-entry, while for a citizen... it's around 10 years of sentence. Or so I think, I might be wrong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines[/center
May 20, 2010 6:15 PM

May 2008
And even today there's like almost no Anarchists there.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
May 20, 2010 6:20 PM

Nov 2008
Cruel_Love said:
But Japan's drug laws are much, much more stricter than in the ridiculous USA, where you can weed without breaking a sweat. Well, if you know the right people anyway, but it isn't that hard to get in touch.

Even for the smallest of drug abuse... For a foreigner, I believe it's deportation and 5 years of no-entry, while for a citizen... it's around 10 years of sentence. Or so I think, I might be wrong.

It could be worse, drug possession of any kind in Singapore gets you hanged (no joke), Europeans and Australian travelers get hanged for this a lot.

May 20, 2010 6:26 PM

Apr 2010
In the Welcome to the NHK manga, Satou snorts what appears to be a line of cocaine. I don't know much about illegal drugs, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was incorrect, though.
May 20, 2010 6:28 PM

Dec 2009
Hoppy said:
It could be worse, drug possession of any kind in Singapore gets you hanged (no joke), Europeans and Australian travelers get hanged for this a lot.
So creepy! I saw the movie Brokedown Palace, where 2 American girls get busted for drugs in Thailand and it was really harsh and scary. All the same, drugs do not seem hard to find in Thailand....

I looked around a little more and found a compilation of news stories about the rarity of drug use in Japan (but I can't vouch for the credibility of this source). If it's truly rare, then I guess it wouldn't show up often in the media. What a contrast to the US, huh?
May 20, 2010 6:45 PM

Oct 2009
In Japan even smoking is a taboo. They rap about smoking tobacco like true thugs.
I'd also like to see some barfing in anime as well as non vapid one dimensional characters like tsunderes.

legum servi sumus ut liberi esse possimus
May 20, 2010 6:49 PM

Aug 2009
kitkatbar said:
In Japan even smoking is a taboo. They rap about smoking tobacco like true thugs.
I'd also like to see some barfing in anime as well as non vapid one dimensional characters like tsunderes.

I hope you're joking. MANY people in Japan smoke. Maybe not as much as America, but it is still ever present in the country.
May 20, 2010 6:56 PM

Nov 2008
Soundtrack said:
kitkatbar said:

I hope you're joking. MANY people in Japan smoke. Maybe not as much as America, but it is still ever present in the country.

J-Pop and AV idols chain smoke just to feel better after a few hours of work, I wish that video that showed one of them smoking to the extremes out of stress wasn't deleted.

May 20, 2010 8:03 PM

Dec 2009
Soundtrack said:
kitkatbar said:

In California, smoking tobacco is more taboo than smoking weed.... lol.
May 20, 2010 8:19 PM

May 2010
I've read a couple manga series' which have the entire plot based around drugs. Though most of the stories are about narcotic cops or at least have them involved in some way.
May 20, 2010 8:27 PM

May 2009
Four Leaf Lover.

Please, don't kill me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2010 8:42 PM

Dec 2009
zharnotczar said:
In the Welcome to the NHK manga, Satou snorts what appears to be a line of cocaine. I don't know much about illegal drugs, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was incorrect, though.
This has been on my list.... maybe it's time.

Hybrid00 said:
Four Leaf Lover.

Please, don't kill me.
Doujinshi? Are they any good?
I'll look for them :D
ilikeyouevenmoreMay 20, 2010 8:46 PM
May 20, 2010 8:55 PM

Apr 2010
I've never met anybody who disliked Welcome to the NHK. It's a pretty good watch/read.
May 20, 2010 9:01 PM

Aug 2008
There's an arc with Legendary Gambler Tetsuya, in which one character was shooting it up with hiropon.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

May 20, 2010 9:22 PM

May 2008
kitkatbar said:
In Japan even smoking is a taboo.

Now smoking(tobacco) on the other hand is perfectly acceptable in Japan. Same with drinking.
They're like a more extreme version of United States is concerned as far as drug laws.

Though lately the idols can't much get away with it.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
May 22, 2010 12:50 AM

Oct 2009
They need more drug usage so I can identify with the characters more
IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 22, 2010 1:04 AM

Jan 2009
Soundtrack said:
kitkatbar said:

Pretty sure they have the highest rate in the world, by quite a bit..

May 22, 2010 1:09 AM

Jan 2010
zharnotczar said:

guess that didn't make it into the anime lol

only instance i can think of is that ex-rock star from clannad after story (anime) shooting up
May 22, 2010 1:13 AM

Apr 2010
Monday said:
zharnotczar said:

only instance i can think of is that ex-rock star from clannad after story (anime) shooting up
Ya know the dancing appliances that show up in his room every once in a while? Those are hallucinations brought on by the drug. I'm unsure of what drug it is, though, because I thought that cocaine wasn't a hallucinogen.
May 22, 2010 1:22 AM
Nov 2008
You're about as likely to find drugs in Japan as you are a gun in Australia.

If an Anime or Manga has drug use (other than smoking or drinking), it's probably not set in Japan.
May 22, 2010 1:24 AM

Jan 2010
zharnotczar said:
Monday said:
zharnotczar said:

Ya know the dancing appliances that show up in his room every once in a while? Those are hallucinations brought on by the drug. I'm unsure of what drug it is, though, because I thought that cocaine wasn't a hallucinogen.

he smokes menthols in the anime but that's it so i assumed all that stuff was his imagination
i'm gonna go read the manga now, you've got me curious
May 22, 2010 8:18 AM

Nov 2008
Gunther_ said:
Soundtrack said:
kitkatbar said:

60% of Japanese smoke

May 22, 2010 9:40 AM

Mar 2010
Even if it's that strict there should still be lots of people doing drugs.. People that think they cant catch me i'm to smart:p And also drugs are illegal so there cool lets do it.... damn where are those people. Maybe Japan already got them.. It's a shame.

Btw risk your life for drugs with the yakuza, why is it risk your life. Isn't the yakuza just a seller. I thought people that sell drugs dont kill there costumers. Well the japanese are a crazy bunch so maybe the do..

May 22, 2010 1:55 PM

Jul 2008
Monday said:
zharnotczar said:
Monday said:
zharnotczar said:

he smokes menthols in the anime but that's it so i assumed all that stuff was his imagination
i'm gonna go read the manga now, you've got me curious

I think it's implied it was all his imagination. But, there are many drugs that can cause such effects. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelics,_dissociatives_and_deliriants

Not sure how accessible they are in Japan though.

I am the senpai that notices you.

May 22, 2010 2:01 PM

Oct 2009
Onibokusu said:

If an Anime or Manga has drug use (other than smoking or drinking), it's probably not set in Japan.
Kara no Kyoukai 7 has a type of drug and its set in Japan though its just about the only one i have seen.

Does a drug that makes you claw out your throat count?
May 22, 2010 8:13 PM

Oct 2009
Gogetters said:
Onibokusu said:

Kara no Kyoukai 7 has a type of drug and its set in Japan though its just about the only one i have seen.

Yeah Kara no Kyoukai 7 is one of the only anime i've seen that had drugs in it!
May 22, 2010 8:21 PM
Jan 2010
i heard they have lots of マリファナ in Hokkaido.

but i also heard they have strict laws in japan...

if i must puff happa i'll do it somewhere else. the anime characters should come with me to Switzerland and we will have a blast. if they cant smoke on TV they should go to Switzerland.
CANCER!
LOL!
May 22, 2010 8:48 PM

Dec 2009
I am usually entirely too high to notice that the show I am watching does not involve drug use. Hell, I am lucky if I can recognize people are in the show.

I guess that is why Shin-chan will always have the best animation and Serial Experiment Lain and Bobo bo bobobo are the only anime with an understandable plot for me.

:)
May 22, 2010 8:53 PM

Jun 2009
I see a lot of smoking in anime. But other than that there is very little drug usage.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
May 22, 2010 8:59 PM

Dec 2009
Mysteic said:
I am usually entirely too high to notice that the show I am watching does not involve drug use. Hell, I am lucky if I can recognize people are in the show.
...remind me - what was I watching, again?

ilikeyouevenmoreMay 24, 2010 7:19 PM
May 22, 2010 11:32 PM

Apr 2010
Nika-senpai said:
It is not implied that it is his imagination in the manga. Directly after he takes the drugs, the appliances start dancing. If it is implied in the manga that all of that stuff was just his imagination, the implications were terrible or I just completely failed to pick them up.
May 23, 2010 8:56 AM

Aug 2009
Hoppy said:
Gunther_ said:
Soundtrack said:
kitkatbar said:

60% of Japanese smoke

My point exactly. Case closed.
May 23, 2010 11:15 AM

Jan 2009
Soundtrack said:
Hoppy said:
Gunther_ said:
Soundtrack said:
kitkatbar said:

60% of Japanese smoke

My point exactly. Case closed.

Maybe I was confused by your post, because you seemed to think more people in America smoke than in Japan, which is far from the truth. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

May 23, 2010 1:53 PM
Sep 2009
Haven't seen any anime with drug use (well except for smoking).
May 23, 2010 5:09 PM

Dec 2009
The few animes that I've seen drug use in was a pretty mediocre portrayal of drugs. Kara no Kyoukai was stupid, Samurai champloo was funny but nonetheless dumb, Cowbooy bebop and code geass didn't have real drugs but were decent illustrations of the effects of some drugs. I would say the only good (by which I mean accurate and the least biased) is in black lagoon, and that still isn't very great.

However there are anime that were directly inspired by drugs, like kaiba, cat soup, mind game, and a few others are essentially a personification of a drug trip. With kaiba being acid or mescaline, cat soup being nnDMT, and mind game being acid. These animes are really the best portrayal of drug use, albeit indirectly.
May 27, 2010 6:44 PM

May 2009
black lagoon refrenced it i think .

but i am glad they dont use drug refrence i wish the gross incest stuff would stop though it just creepy
May 27, 2010 6:48 PM

Jun 2008
Ichi the Killer has a character who's a herion addict.
I'm back.
May 27, 2010 10:50 PM

Feb 2009
Sick_Bastard said:
Ichi the Killer has a character who's a herion addict.
yeah but that's revoled around yakuza but in a regular setting its pretty rare. As for Welcome to the NHK, the anime shows no drug use but the manga shows him taking some kind of hallucenogenic (dunno if that was already explained).

There's also the Confedential Confessions manga, one of the stories revolves around use of speed and ecstacy. Aside from that I really cant remember any instances of drug use in anime/manga.
May 27, 2010 11:10 PM

Dec 2007
I find this all very curious.

Probably the references to drugs (I see them once in a while in band anime) are limited because the experiences of the authors are limited. Maybe someday one mangaka will be arrested and start writing about his experience with coke from prison.

And as far as I watch stuff, except for Clannad and some other rare moments, the depiction of drugs is a very "outside view" one; even when they are fake.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
May 28, 2010 6:34 AM

May 2010
Imo anime is generally too light. All theyr social problems are about friends who dont talk to them anymore or stuff like that.
In general id love to see some more drugs in anime.
May 28, 2010 11:21 AM

Mar 2010
Anybody mention that Refrain drug in Code Geass.

May 28, 2010 12:28 PM

Mar 2010
Minami-ke Okawari xD

May 28, 2010 8:09 PM

Dec 2009
ilikeyouevenmore said:
Mysteic said:

I am pretty sure we were watching Tale Spin or Gargoyles, but people kept getting stabbed with large swords and shot with guns.....so maybe its Spongebob uncensored??
Apr 21, 2012 7:31 PM
Jul 2008
Mysteic said:
ilikeyouevenmore said:
Mysteic said:

I am pretty sure we were watching Tale Spin or Gargoyles, but people kept getting stabbed with large swords and shot with guns.....so maybe its Spongebob uncensored??

oh my god...i just lol'd till i couldnt breathe, and then i took a fat bong rip.
But on the serious side i agree with bjorkfund, real life problems here on the west coast are not about who gets the best grades and freaking out about the school "festival", its the po-po take'n our herb, try'n to find a decent job...and maybe gettn a fine piece of a$$ now and then.

These writers need to be given work visas so they can party it up and write some good anime relating to life over here! Although most people in japan would be like "....wtf? Thats not how life really is" lol
Apr 22, 2012 9:05 AM

Apr 2012
Kami-sama no Memo cho.
had to deal with street drugs, although not an actual one, it was still a street drug.
Apr 30, 2012 1:49 PM
Sep 2008
Sensen Spike Hills is one of the only manga that talks about and uses weed in the right way
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

10 by Tirinchas »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

59 by KittenCuddler »»
6 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

18 by traed »»
12 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

22 by deg »»
18 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 25 minutes ago

1 by SnipeStrike »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.