Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 9, 2023 4:33 PM

Jun 2023
If you don't support the industry why should your opinion matter, whether you like an anime or not it does not give authors and studios any revenue. It makes sense for authors to only listen to people that actually pay for their work
Jun 9, 2023 4:46 PM

Oct 2013
The funniest thing is when folks who are the loudest and the most toxic about certain franchises are usually those who never spent a penny on the series they get so emotional about. Series, if I may add, which is actually available for them to support this way or another in their countries, lol. You know, manga, merchandise, and that kind of stuff.

Everyone can have their own opinion, of course. It's encouraged to have it, no matter how somebody reached a discussed work of art. But ranting about it in a really nasty way, and targeting people who worked on it, is pathetic. I mean actions like hateful comments written towards the source material's author or some of the anime adaptation's crew members is bad per se, no matter whether somebody supports the franchise or not, and in what way.
AdnashJun 9, 2023 4:49 PM
Jun 9, 2023 4:52 PM

Jan 2013
Lil_D said:
why should your opinion matter
I have never pretended my, or anyones here opinion matters or affects the industry. But that wont stop me voicing my takes
Jun 9, 2023 6:29 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Pirates are human beings too.. And smarter than those who blows their cash on something that's available for free. So being smarter their complains hold more ground..

Jun 9, 2023 6:36 PM

Jan 2013
Simple, because I can. Not that I would ever bother to complain to the author themselves. 
Jun 10, 2023 12:47 AM

Mar 2020
This just in: you're not allowed to express an opinion on anything you do not directly pay for. Then again, if we did pay for it, you'd probably say "if you don't like it, don't buy it!" Damned if we do damned if we don't.
In the end, all girls are like the rose bride
Jun 10, 2023 12:55 AM

Sep 2008
they don't give a shit about what westerners say unless they happen to be on the committee. weak bait.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jun 10, 2023 1:08 AM
Dec 2021
Lil_D said:
If you don't support the industry why should your opinion matter, whether you like an anime or not it does not give authors and studios any revenue.
Whether supported it legally or not, everybody can have their own opinions. Doesn't mean you can buy stuff of your shows, you can shit talk about the others. 

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jun 10, 2023 1:25 AM

Feb 2020
Lil_D said:
It makes sense for authors to only listen to people that actually pay for their work

It makes sense for authors to listen to people who can give sensible advice on how to create better art/entertainment. Giving money to the industry doesn't magically make you better at that.
mazuchiJun 10, 2023 1:34 AM
Jun 10, 2023 1:32 AM

Jul 2021
If the anime didn't want me to complain about it, it should have done a better job at entertaining.
Jun 10, 2023 1:38 AM

Apr 2012
Lil_D said:
If you don't support the industry why should your opinion matter, whether you like an anime or not it does not give authors and studios any revenue. It makes sense for authors to only listen to people that actually pay for their work

I don't know where you get the idea that people who "pirate" it never pay for it too. There's a sensible middle ground between freeloading and letting intangible capital **** you in the ****.
Jun 10, 2023 2:07 AM

Jul 2021
I think lists are fun to read so here's a list:

• It could be Hitler himself criticizing something, if he's right then nothing about his background could make him wrong about that thing he's criticizing.

• Piracy is precisely the reason why companies earn big money. If products by microsoft, adobe, etc didn't get pirated they wouldn't be as successful as they got. Anime is the same. Crunchyroll itself started as a pirate website of the worst kind, pls open a tab and google this.

• People who complain about anime usually do that because it's part of the fun. I, for one, don't expect to be listened by writers, producers or whatnot. I'm just exchanging opinions with other people.

• Feedback is just noise to the industry, unless it gets extremely loud. With this being the case, as far as they're concerned people pay for anime and they deliver anime. If people don't like it then they can go watch something else.

• Piracy is, for many people, a necessity. You can't assume everyone is a spoiled american who can afford the money and the freedom to access anime or anything like that. Should people be censored just because they live in a country where a certain content is banned?

• Unless someone has the space and the money to buy physical copies of the shows they like, the overwhelming amount of money they spend on streaming platforms aren't going to the studios or the authors. This is why so many people consider legal streaming website morally worse than piracy.

• How does the industry know who paid for anime? People who pay usually engage in conversation with people who watch pirated stuff, and the two groups influence each others' opinions quite deeply. So on a practical level it doesn't make sense to make any distinction.

• This thread doesn't really sound like you're genuinely asking a question, it sounds more like you're preaching a clear idea you share. But according to your own logic why should your opinion matter to people? You don't support them, you don't pay them. This is just a silly point but I think it's worth mentioning for perspective.

Jun 10, 2023 2:22 AM

Apr 2023
Not true though. Revenue is one thing, but stuff like word of mouth marketing, etc. exists. Also if something is considered art, then it should be allowed to be critiqued from anyone.
Jun 10, 2023 2:39 AM

Oct 2012
People critique it because they have an opinion about it as a piece of art, unless OP is saying anime is purely utilitarian with an economic value -- which no one truly thinks unless they're a desperate corporatist.

This is very amusing, because media companies in traditional industries typically send reviewer and critics a preview so that the media could help disseminate the work. Imagine saying that these critics don't have a right to publish anything or that their opinions are worthless simply because they haven't purchased anything with cash. Unfortunately for you OP, that's not for you to decide. An opinion is worth something if someone out there relates to it. So it doesn't matter what ridiculous criteria you use to filter out information. Other people find it valuable. If someone writes something whether they support the industry or not, and someone else enjoyed that writing, then that has value.

In fact, it would be almost objectively ridiculous if the same sentence is deemed to either have value or not depending on some other thing the author did, like paying some corporation.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 10, 2023 3:13 AM

Dec 2015
Let's Gooo another thread of explaining that anime is not accessible in every country part xxx

Imagine not pirating anime in Poland when you have at max 50 titles available only in Netflix with Polish subs/dubs, Disney+ doesn't support Polish subs, Crunchyroll was supposed to do that in 2019 [here's where I from that -> https://pl.ign.com/anime/22015/news/crunchyroll-oficjalnie-trafi-do-polski?fbclid=IwAR0oF4eXlFzrfpTK77j4A_VqiUWzr5R1bmCWC3b9VhcwyPiHl-M-xGVWgz4 ] and CR is still not available in Polish language.

@Lil_D so why would your opinion matter if you have the availability to watch anime in your native language without a single problem, I'd like to see you strugling to enjoy anime in your own native lang.
Jun 10, 2023 3:28 AM
Mar 2022
Lil_D said:
At the end of the day, money is going to win out regardless of whether most people like what's being sold or not. Even if it seems to be unpopular, as long as the people who stand to benefit think that the risk is worth the reward to develop something, then the project will begin. If there is a consumer base that is worth the time, then there will be products made to satisfy that demand. This base is composed of people who are willing to pay. However, this doesn't mean that if someone is not paying for a subscription that their opinion is worthless. Constructive criticism and praise can come from anywhere. If someone decides to voice an opinion, as long as that opinion is well formulated and productive, it is a useful reference for the producer. On the other hand, people who pay for the subscription may have opinions that are poorly formed and not worth internalizing. 

That being said, you're not wrong about it making sense to only pay attention to people who pay for their work. That's how success is ultimately defined in the long run. If there is a large enough crowd of people clamoring for action in a romance story, then it makes sense from a seller's perspective to include action. However, if that hurts their consumer base (people who actually pay for the product), then the material will backtrack to fit the tastes of paying customers. It isn't straightforward to determine whether the source of an opinion for products that are easily pirated comes from the consumer base or not. So, the consensus of those opinions, regardless of where they come from, will produce changes in a product. Meanwhile, these changes are scrutinized by sales, which determine the lasting trend. 

Anyway, don't sweat it. Obviously it would be ideal for people to actually pay for their services and products, but if you're going to focus on the value of people's opinions it'd be better to actually appraise their ideas rather than base it on whether they pay for content or not. Sales revenue is going to be the deciding factor regardless. Let the people who can't afford to pay have their fun and don't let it bother you. Whether they pay or not, they probably have a crap opinion anyway. If they're the kind to call you an idiot for paying for something you can get for free, just remind them that there wouldn't be anything to pirate without people like you contributing. Those are the people who just feel entitled to free stuff and somehow think they're better than you because they're riding on your coattails. 
Jun 10, 2023 3:39 AM

Oct 2018
What a dumb and ret*rded this is.

If it wasn't for piracy, anime wouldn't be popular as of now.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Jun 10, 2023 3:42 AM

Feb 2020
Because I simply have the right to do so.........
Jun 10, 2023 4:16 AM
Apr 2022
which is why i'm here where my opinion doesn't really matter
Jun 10, 2023 4:54 AM

Nov 2021
Common fallacy. Even enemies and opposition elevate the current status quo to new heights.
Jun 10, 2023 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
RentNoGirlfriend said:
How does the industry know who paid for anime? People who pay usually engage in conversation with people who watch pirated stuff, and the two groups influence each others' opinions quite deeply. So on a practical level it doesn't make sense to make any distinction.
Companies look at sales number, which gives them an objective metric of how well a series is doing. They don’t care much about what people say on random anime forums.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 10, 2023 7:42 AM

Feb 2021
RentNoGirlfriend said:

[*]Unless someone has the space and the money to buy physical copies of the shows they like, the overwhelming amount of money they spend on streaming platforms aren't going to the studios or the authors. This is why so many people consider legal streaming website morally worse than piracy.

[*]How is it morally worse?
Please explain me how.

imo, there's nothing worse than pirate streams which make money by stealing other people's work.
This is why even fansub groups hate pirate sites. 
Jun 10, 2023 8:29 AM

Nov 2019
These are the days of miracle and wonder, this is the long distance call, the way the camera follows us in slow-mo, the way we look to us all, the way we look to a distant constellation that's dying in a corner of the sky.
These are the days of miracle and wonder and BABY, DON'T CRY, DON'T CRY, DON'T CRY!

SgtBateManJun 10, 2023 8:34 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jun 10, 2023 10:25 AM

Jun 2023
katsucats said:
People critique it because they have an opinion about it as a piece of art, unless OP is saying anime is purely utilitarian with an economic value -- which no one truly thinks unless they're a desperate corporatist.

This is very amusing, because media companies in traditional industries typically send reviewer and critics a preview so that the media could help disseminate the work. Imagine saying that these critics don't have a right to publish anything or that their opinions are worthless simply because they haven't purchased anything with cash. Unfortunately for you OP, that's not for you to decide. An opinion is worth something if someone out there relates to it. So it doesn't matter what ridiculous criteria you use to filter out information. Other people find it valuable. If someone writes something whether they support the industry or not, and someone else enjoyed that writing, then that has value.

In fact, it would be almost objectively ridiculous if the same sentence is deemed to either have value or not depending on some other thing the author did, like paying some corporation.

Anime is a product and as such the main purpose of it for producers is for it to make money. So obviously it would make sense that producers would pander to people that are paying for anime and not care about what pirate users would think about it.

Media companies sending free copies to critics is not the same as pirate sites stealing the content. If you get a phone as a gift or you steal a phone, in both cases you get a phone for free, but it's not the same thing
Jun 10, 2023 10:46 AM

Apr 2018
Damn, I was gonna criticize OP's point for being dumb, but I guess I can't do it since I'm not willing to give them any money in exchange for voicing my opinion :(
Jun 10, 2023 12:31 PM

Jul 2021
MadanielFL said:
This is why even fansub groups hate pirate sites. 
The way most people use the term "piracy" is just a synonym of copyright infringement. Copyright infringement doesn't necessarily entail making money off other people's work, just saying.

MadanielFL said:
Please explain me how.
Sure.
So basically legal streaming platforms buy the rights to stream whatever, which is a fixed cost. The more paying users they get, the less money of each subscription goes to the original creators, to the point where they don't even get a full € of your 7€ subscription. Some people find this morally apalling, their money doesn't end up supporting the industry, but rather crunchyroll's shenanigans or whatever. To them this is essentially the same as what you mention here:
MadanielFL said:
imo, there's nothing worse than pirate streams which make money by stealing other people's work.
especially considering how uncompetitive this market is.
On the other hand there are illegal streaming websites which offer, for all intents and purposes, the same service as legal ones, except for free. Sure, they might not have the rights to do what they do, but they allow you to decide which show you wish to directly support (e.g. buying the merch or physical copies) and which you don't really care about. Legally that's sanctioned, but there are plenty of people who find it morally better than the legit alternative.

I hope it doesn't sound condescending...

DreamingBeats said:
Companies look at sales number, which gives them an objective metric of how well a series is doing. They don’t care much about what people say on random anime forums.
It's not just random anime forums, though. There are huge moral outrages going on twitter or weibo that directly affect the figures. But yea, I get what you're saying, I agree and I think I touched on that previously. What I meant on that point was something like "even if they did care enough to check our opinions, it still would be impractical to differentiate".
RentNoGirlfriendJun 10, 2023 12:38 PM
Jun 10, 2023 12:45 PM
Oct 2019
you cant stop me lmfao thats why xddd
Jun 10, 2023 12:47 PM
Oct 2019
Lil_D said:
no one who uses this site has a opinion worth listening to
Jun 10, 2023 12:50 PM

Feb 2021
RentNoGirlfriend said:

Sure.
So basically legal streaming platforms buy the rights to stream whatever, which is a fixed cost. The more paying users they get, the less money of each subscription goes to the original creators, to the point where they don't even get a full € of your 7€ subscription. Some people find this morally apalling, their money doesn't end up supporting the industry, but rather crunchyroll's shenanigans or whatever. To them this is essentially the same as what you mention here:
That's not always true, some licenses use the royalty fee method which means the more people watching a show, the more money it makes.
Let's also not forget the multiple anime that these companies help produce through production committees.
I mean, bilibili even owns an anime studio. 
Jun 10, 2023 1:12 PM
Jul 2018
At least I try not and look the anime on Crunchyroll or Netflix at first. We can't and aren't willing to afford more, so I find others elsewhere lol.

But even if you pirate it, you aren't forced to have a positive opinion about it.
I just dislike the entitled fans tho, who expect another season asap, don't recognize there are already overworked artists behind the production and don't want to pay for anything. Yet the still scream for the next season coming out tomorrow at best.
Jun 10, 2023 1:29 PM

Oct 2019
well... how would they know?

its a fair point, but its extremely unrealistic.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Zeerks (I will make you YouTube thumbnails/banners): https://zeerk.com/jobs/graphics-design/i-will-make-you-your-youtube-banner-thumbnail/
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 10, 2023 1:31 PM
Jan 2022
Maybe piracy will stop being a thing when you won't have to pay +50 different streaming services to watch your animes.

Let's not forget that streaming sites often don't even have the full anime or the episodes are late.

If you want to support, you buy manga, period. I'm not going to listen to the opinion of someone who only watches adaptations. I don't care if you pay or not, you can't tell me nothing about Naruto if you only watch the anime.
Jun 10, 2023 2:08 PM

Jan 2021
Morons who think purchasing subscriptions actually support the industry are insufferable. A quick Google search will tell you that no matter how much morality you push upon others for pirating anime, the fact remains that animators are underpaid and overworked and these conditions may never change. Subscribing to Crunchyroll and the like only lines the pockets of corporations which basically know nothing about the animation process. 

Pay 12.50 CAD for access to hundreds of anime? You seriously think that amount actually helps the animators? Hell no, it obviously doesn't. 

What supports the industry is buying merchandise directly from the website or in the physical stores of animation studios. KyoAni recently re-opened its international shopping service, and now I am able to support that beloved studio. 
Kazari29Jun 10, 2023 2:13 PM
Jun 10, 2023 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
Millions of people supported the anime industry in the 70s-2000s via TV licensing fees and ads, encouraging stations to invest in anime. Not the crumbs of streaming services.
Jun 10, 2023 2:43 PM

Feb 2021
kycnui said:
Morons who think purchasing subscriptions actually support the industry are insufferable. A quick Google search will tell you that no matter how much morality you push upon others for pirating anime, the fact remains that animators are underpaid and overworked and these conditions may never change. Subscribing to Crunchyroll and the like only lines the pockets of corporations which basically know nothing about the animation process. 

Pay 12.50 CAD for access to hundreds of anime? You seriously think that amount actually helps the animators? Hell no, it obviously doesn't. 

What supports the industry is buying merchandise directly from the website or in the physical stores of animation studios. KyoAni recently re-opened its international shopping service, and now I am able to support that beloved studio. 
When people say supporting the industry, they don't mean supporting the animators.
That's a completely different phrase. 

Also, most anime studios don't even sell merch, it's mostly the corporations that do. 
Jun 10, 2023 2:47 PM

Jan 2021
MadanielFL said:
kycnui said:

That's a completely different phrase. 
I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstand. Animators are clearly the backbone of the anime industry, and therefore they are a part of this industry. With that mindset, no wonder most people take for granted the talent these workers have. 
Jun 10, 2023 5:59 PM

Feb 2021
I watch anime legally on youtube lol how's that? The money generated from streaming platforms is for them and not "the authors". I buy manga of series I really like which is a better way to support manga artists anyway. 

Guess I can shit on anime now. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

More topics from this board

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 40 minutes ago

2 by Akuya »»
54 seconds ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

121 by neolucaman »»
4 minutes ago

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Today

19 by neolucaman »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Run with the Wind?

MillerEvans23 - Today

24 by WaffleMaster89 »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Yesterday

35 by MadanielFL »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.