Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 3, 2023 10:03 AM
Jun 2023
*I have only watched anime*

The Made in Abyss’s ethereal beauty, depiction of grotesque mysterious creatures inhabiting the abyss, and chilling horror characters undergo transfixed me. The plot as of now in anime can be seen as character-driven revolving around the life of the main protagonist Riko and her journey to find her mother in a vast abyss. This abyss is not any ordinary abyss. It is a world with its own rules, embedded with treasure, relics, and curses. To reach within the depths of the abyss one has to cherish both pleasures that are experienced in unraveling strange dark mysteries and also accepting curses that befell on them. Riko succeeds in arriving at the sixth layer of the abyss, becoming a white whistle……but at what price?
Riko is an adventurer with an overtly optimistic mindset. She has an optimistic approach toward people around her, the abyss, and her journey. But as the plot moves further, her optimistic attitude rationalizing the morals of characters like Bondrewd and Wazukyan gets quite questionable. Bondrewd and Wazukyan are the antagonists of this anime, but at the same time, they are extraordinary men. It was up to the audience to judge their human virtues and flaws. When it came to the perception of Reg and Riko towards these characters one could observe that Reg could easily look into their heinous crime whereas Riko chooses to value them as true adventurers who wanted to strive ahead unraveling mysteries of the abyss.
Riko was 12 years old , an age when body and mind are still paving their way toward emotional, physical, and cognitive maturity. Also, in anime, whether the normal mental and physical growth of humans exploring the abyss was affected to what extent is not mentioned. So, I truly wonder whether it was her age where she is unable to reflect upon the price of being a true adventurer or her optimistic attitude towards the abyss made her brush away the realities of these men, or maybe her own set of values prioritizes adventure more than anything else.

What do u guys think??
Jun 3, 2023 11:57 AM

Jul 2015
Due to Curse of the Abyss, once you are past the certain point, there is no return. Even before that, she has nowhere to go. Only orphanage with that awful headmistress.
The only thing that gives her motivarion in life was the letter from her mother, deep from the abyss, so it is natural that she will try to reach her or die trying.
Also, nowhere in the show it is implied that you should be amused by what terrible things are happening to Riko and others. They are always portrayed as very traumatic and absolutely never used for comedic purposes.
I'd like to think, that children being subjected to such treatment helps the author to convey how harsh and unforgiving Abyss really is, because children are supposed to be pure ans innocent and when this is being stripped away, it hits even harder. Like I said, it is not supposed to be amusing, but tragic.

Jun 3, 2023 12:03 PM

Aug 2018
I've thought for a while there's something wrong with Riko. The robot acts more human than she does.
Jun 3, 2023 12:15 PM
Nov 2022
Ozen said that Riko would try and crawl back to the abyss, even as a baby. There's clearly something more than just the need for adventure or meeting her mother pulling her down there.

I think she'd pay any price without too much anxiety.
Jun 3, 2023 5:09 PM
Jan 2022
Yes Reg has very gentle heart that would cry/mad about the things those people done. But even Riko doesn't have naivety that Reg has, doesn't mean she agrees whit what they done either. She never show any agreeing or disagreeing reaction, she just get shown/revealed of what those people real intentions are, as our proxy. She kinda absorbs all of people's ideology, and that kinda true given she is still kid.

And Ozen also antagonist of the series, she just level 1 Boss.
Jun 5, 2023 1:09 PM

Jan 2021
A lot of people feel that Riko embodies white whistle traits from early childhood. Some of her thoughts and drives are similar to that of Bondrewd. Her drive for knowledge no matter the cost. She is even fine with Wakuzen and the village despite knowing it’s origins and even respects what he has created within the abyss.

White Whistles are people who are drawn to the abyss beyond all else. People who throw themselves into danger to explore the unknown of the pit. Of this Riko is 100% this kind of person. To become a White Whistle you need to abandon all ties. People like Habo have ties to the surface and while obsessed with the Abyss aren’t able to get something like a Life Reverberating Stone.

Riko love the Abyss above all else for better or for worse.
Jun 6, 2023 1:19 AM
Apr 2020
Damn you write like a novelist. Made me want to rewatch this show
Jun 8, 2023 2:51 PM

Aug 2018
I belive the Riko has matured a lot by the time the gang reaches the 6th layer. She understands the drive of white whistles more than Reg and Nanachi. She doesn't detest the horrible actions of others because she knows that they, just like herself are willing to do anything to reach their goals and respects that. I like to belive that she knows she is not above them and is capable of doing similar things but I have no proof of that. For her not understanding the sacrifices she is making to travel in the abyss. She knows. I can't remember any scenes off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure she mentions that she's aware she is going to die from the curse repelling box effects and that this doesn't bother her as long as she can reach her goal.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2022

258 by Toooooooooohru »»
Apr 15, 10:25 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2022

404 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 13, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2022

138 by Toooooooooohru »»
Apr 12, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2022

300 by owonism »»
Mar 31, 11:20 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2022

206 by owonism »»
Mar 31, 5:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.