Forum Settings
Forums

Which manga, manhua, manhwa, novel, or anime depict a magical world with good worldbuilding?

New
May 29, 2023 11:05 PM

Dec 2018
I bet there are so many options out there that can blow your mind with their magical worlds Let's dive into some recommendations..
May 30, 2023 12:12 AM
Oct 2019
No Game No Life is a pretty good one. Almost every new volume introduces another race and their country/city/continent/wherever they live, so over time, you get a pretty good idea of what the world of Disboard is like, and the novels expand on the 10 pledges a little more than the anime does (for example: due to the first pledge, which forbids violence, it's physically impossible to commit any act of violence or any act that would cause any form of bodily harm against another individual without their explicit consent. The pledge that upholds bets is universal, but it can't make you do something that's physically impossible, such as running 100 meters in one second, or becoming another person. Both of these facts are revealed in volumes covered by the anime adaptation (volumes 2 and 3 respectively), but were not included in the anime due to time constraints)
May 30, 2023 12:14 AM

Jul 2022
One Piece's worldbuilding is actually insane. The main cast travels to new and different islands constantly throughout the show, and the viewer gets to meet and learn about the new side cast at each island. The side casts are usually very well written and some can even compete with the characterization of main cast members.
Blossom_TreeMay 30, 2023 11:20 AM
ⓘ User is suspected to be a part of an online terrorist organization. Please report any suspicious activity to Discord MAL staff

May 30, 2023 12:30 AM

Jul 2021
mushoku tensei is the right answer.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 30, 2023 12:37 AM
Mar 2018
made in abyss imo is super solid. the mystery leaves me with so many unanswered questions tht leaves me wanting more. 
May 30, 2023 12:44 AM

May 2018
Does Girl Genius count, since it's a western webcomic, but has a killer worldbuilding?
Stand Still. Stay Silent is similarly great in this aspect.

On the manga front Mahou Sensei Negima and UQ Holder come to mind. If you ignore the tons of ecchi and lewd stuff it has one of the best fantasy worldbuildings ever.
May 30, 2023 12:47 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Isekai anime titles be like.. Wiseman's grandfather died of gonorrhea and became a lolicon king in another world..

May 30, 2023 12:50 AM

Jun 2020
I will choose Overlord light novel. Its world-building or attention to detail in general is top-notch.
May 30, 2023 11:01 AM

Feb 2019
@ShatteredSans , @Blossom_Tree , the pair of you should probably be aware that constantly adding more and more locations and characters is not good worldbuilding. If anything, it's the exact opposite, prompting inconsistencies and revealing that the author lacks a clear vision for the setting.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
May 30, 2023 11:19 AM

Jul 2022
O_T_T said:
@ShatteredSans , @Blossom_Tree , the pair of you should probably be aware that constantly adding more and more locations and characters is not good worldbuilding. If anything, it's the exact opposite, prompting inconsistencies and revealing that the author lacks a clear vision for the setting.

that’s not even true, and you act like Oda doesn’t give characteristics/characterization to his side cast on each island. every island in One Piece serves a purpose to the story, as do side characters for each island.
ⓘ User is suspected to be a part of an online terrorist organization. Please report any suspicious activity to Discord MAL staff

May 30, 2023 11:23 AM

Jul 2015
Definitely Mushoku Tensei and Tensura.

May 30, 2023 11:40 AM

Jun 2021
The faraway paladin manga & light novels are so underrated. Definitely won't disappoint if you're looking for fantasy stories with good world building.
“Think not of your future or your past, just your current self. Think about the now and focus, then throw out your very identity”
May 30, 2023 11:41 AM

Mar 2021
Magical huh
One piece, HunterxHunter, Dorohedoro, Houseki no kuni, Nausicaa, Made in abyss, Mushishi, Magi, Dungeon meshi

For novels, there is a song of ice and fire

O_T_T said:

If anything the setting of op is an uncharted and undiscovered world which makes way for the author to expand the world as much as he wants without having any inconsistency

In the current saga, majority of areas were mentioned 100s of chapters ago as actual places or places related to an antagonist and now they are being expanded upon similar to asoiaf. If the places weren't shown then that would be called having an unclear vision
May 30, 2023 1:05 PM

Aug 2018
12 Kingdoms might be the only isekai worth watching. Almost an insult to group it in with the others.
May 30, 2023 1:20 PM

Apr 2020
Omniscient Reader (manhwa & novel) has great worldbuilding! 
May 30, 2023 1:48 PM

Feb 2013
Centaur no Nayami
i particularly like the subtly dystopian world, and the plethora of in-universe history to rival LOGH
very underrated franchise
May 30, 2023 3:08 PM

Feb 2019
Blossom_Tree said:
O_T_T said:

that’s not even true, and you act like Oda doesn’t give characteristics/characterization to his side cast on each island. every island in One Piece serves a purpose to the story, as do side characters for each island.
It is true, he doesn't and they don't.

Worldbuilding is essentially theoretical anthropology. It's about understanding how civilisations function and react, affected by elements such as existing cultural norms and traditions, geographic and physiological factors. Above all else, it is about expressing a storyline by means of a logical and believable setting.

Not that absolutely none of that ahs anything to do with what you described. Even if the One Piece lot do go to a new island with new (allegedly characterised) people, and there they learn some lesson or acquire some (allegedly) relevant item, since this has nothing to do with what worldbuilding means for a work of fiction, the point I think you were trying to make is entirely moot.

Za_Panda said:
If anything the setting of op is an uncharted and undiscovered world which makes way for the author to expand the world as much as he wants without having any inconsistency

In the current saga, majority of areas were mentioned 100s of chapters ago as actual places or places related to an antagonist and now they are being expanded upon similar to asoiaf. If the places weren't shown then that would be called having an unclear vision
No, a "uncharted" world merely allows for mystery. A competent writer would already have a chart of their own, so to speak. Consider a simple example for how this can lead to issues - in One Piece, my understanding is that the cast is travelling equatorially along a specific ocean current. My understanding is also that the world of One Piece has been established as a globe with an established size. Now, since the series seeks to run indefinitely, what shall happen once they have travelled across the entire world? Retcon the size of the planet? Carry on and hope no-one notices? I imagine they'll find some silly reason by which they end up in a new route elsewhere, but that just delays the inevitable. You see, even the simplest of lore details falls apart when you try to piece it together with the narrative of the franchise, something that really should be the most basic thing to get right.

Regarding your second statement, that's really not what you think at all. Mentioning a name and then applying it to a later location doesn't mean said location has been thought up at the time. At most we can presume the intent was to set something precisely to have it there to call back to in order to give the illusion of something long in the works, and, sadly, you've fallen for it.
May 30, 2023 3:18 PM

May 2012
the isekai where Rudeus is in hasn't been disappointing so far.
there's also GATE, however we don't get to know the world too deep.
and tensura I guess?

HxH is also solid. the new region is still unexplored and is a good surprise to the world building
if you want good story, read novel. if you want good graphic, read manga. anime is beyond that.
May 30, 2023 3:22 PM

Jul 2022
O_T_T said:
Blossom_Tree said:

Worldbuilding is essentially theoretical anthropology. It's about understanding how civilisations function and react, affected by elements such as existing cultural norms and traditions, geographic and physiological factors. Above all else, it is about expressing a storyline by means of a logical and believable setting.

Not that absolutely none of that ahs anything to do with what you described. Even if the One Piece lot do go to a new island with new (allegedly characterised) people, and there they learn some lesson or acquire some (allegedly) relevant item, since this has nothing to do with what worldbuilding means for a work of fiction, the point I think you were trying to make is entirely moot.

Za_Panda said:

No, a "uncharted" world merely allows for mystery. A competent writer would already have a chart of their own, so to speak. Consider a simple example for how this can lead to issues - in One Piece, my understanding is that the cast is travelling equatorially along a specific ocean current. My understanding is also that the world of One Piece has been established as a globe with an established size. Now, since the series seeks to run indefinitely, what shall happen once they have travelled across the entire world? Retcon the size of the planet? Carry on and hope no-one notices? I imagine they'll find some silly reason by which they end up in a new route elsewhere, but that just delays the inevitable. You see, even the simplest of lore details falls apart when you try to piece it together with the narrative of the franchise, something that really should be the most basic thing to get right.

Regarding your second statement, that's really not what you think at all. Mentioning a name and then applying it to a later location doesn't mean said location has been thought up at the time. At most we can presume the intent was to set something precisely to have it there to call back to in order to give the illusion of something long in the works, and, sadly, you've fallen for it.

your opinion of One Piece is irrelevant and invalid given that you haven’t watched or read the series. check yourself before you speak on something you don’t even consume or have on your lists.

Oda definitely characterizes his side casts and some are on the same level as main cast crew members. Obviously no series is perfect but the islands in one piece are given great detail when it comes to their origin/history, the problems they have, and how they change and develop by the end of arcs. the side casts for islands usually always show back up later and add to the story, connecting islands from the north, east, west blue and islands on the grand line.

until you actually put time and effort into the series you shouldn’t say if it has good world-building or not.

May 30, 2023 3:29 PM

Jul 2021
What happens inside the dungeon?
Best fantasy manhwa I read.
May 30, 2023 3:39 PM

Jul 2015
Mushoku tensei for sure hands down.
May 30, 2023 6:25 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Obviously it came from Log Horizon best world building, gameplay mode and government system in it

May 30, 2023 6:31 PM
Oct 2019
O_T_T said:
Yuu Kamiya doesn't just constantly add more locations and characters. We also get good look at how most of their societies function (he takes the time to properly flesh out these locations and characters), information about the 10 pledges, and a lot of information about the end of the great war (the event that practically shaped Disboard into what it is today). Also, while the world gets expanded frequently, with new locations and characters being introduced in almost every volume, there is a main setting. The kingdom of Elkia. Specifically the royal castle.

I'm just generally not good at describing/explaining things, but trust me, the world building in No Game No Life is very good. You just don't get to see very much of it in the anime, because the anime has only adapted the first 3 volumes (which is essentially the series' introductory arc)
May 30, 2023 6:47 PM

Mar 2021
O_T_T said:
Blossom_Tree said:

Za_Panda said:

Hol up i got the perfect picture for it
May 30, 2023 9:14 PM

Nov 2018
Making a properly comprehensive list would take forever so I'm just going to list a few off the top of my head.

Made in Abyss
Ancient Magus Bride
Ascendance of a Bookworm (Preferably the novels)
Heavenly Delusion
Shinsekai yori
Land of the Lustrous (Good anime adaption but horribly incomplete. Manga is great.)
Dragon Dentist
Moribito
Kino's Journey
Yona of the Dawn (Preferably the Manga since anime is woefully incomplete.)
Other Side Picnic (Novels or possibly the manga. Never the anime.)
Princess Mononoke
Mushishi
Dennou Coil
Girl's Last Tour (Anime is very good, but the story's last arc and conclusion is manga only. Manga is excellent.)
Baccano!
Hinamatsuri (Good anime adaption, but incomplete. Manga is better.)
Machikado Mazoku (Believe it or not this mahou shoujo comedy has very good world-building.)
Ghost in the Shell Original Movie and Stand Alone Complex
Kemono no Souja Erin
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Manga)
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (Only a few anime OVAs, Manga is a masterpiece.)
Aria
Dead Dead Demons dedede Destruction (Manga)
FMA (People love to hate what's popular but the world-building was top-notch for a shounen.)

And I'm out of time and motivation for now. I tried to pick a wide selection of genres. If anyone seriously wants a proper list including more manga let me know and I will put in some more effort. Those I've listed I would personally recommend.
MeltingSkyMay 30, 2023 9:20 PM
May 31, 2023 1:04 AM

Dec 2022
Mahouka. The LN specifically has such detailed and intricate worldbuilding that it might actually be too much.

Shaded Horizon

May 31, 2023 1:59 AM

Aug 2020
Good "worldbuilding"? Idk maybe Aria and MiA.

Good "lore"? There's quite a lot but the best one's gotta be Juuni Kokuki. Best lore in anime.

Jun 1, 2023 10:36 AM

Feb 2019
Blossom_Tree said:
your opinion of One Piece is irrelevant and invalid given that you haven’t watched or read the series. check yourself before you speak on something you don’t even consume or have on your lists.

Oda definitely characterizes his side casts and some are on the same level as main cast crew members. Obviously no series is perfect but the islands in one piece are given great detail when it comes to their origin/history, the problems they have, and how they change and develop by the end of arcs. the side casts for islands usually always show back up later and add to the story, connecting islands from the north, east, west blue and islands on the grand line.

until you actually put time and effort into the series you shouldn’t say if it has good world-building or not.
You have no way of knowing if I've read or seen One Piece or not. In the case of the latter, my manga list is private, so you're completely in the dark on that subject, and the former is entirely a result of my decision to display it or not. I could have seen it and decided not to bother counting all of its million episodes, or I could mark it as completed at any point without actually having touched it with a barge pole.

Of course, it benefits your opinion to claim that I know nothing about the series, which is why you have done so. We both know full well that you've just broadcasted your fantasy because you feel it will discredit me and free you from having to make a legitimate counterpoint to my own. Since you have not done so, completely ignoring my explanation of what worldbuilding is and means for works of fiction and instead repeated your beliefs for the third time, I will make the conclusion that - most unlike One Piece - this is a point to close up shop.

@Za_Panda , this shall be the case with you also. In case you haven't noticed, I'm trying to discuss the subject at least a little seriously, so I really would prefer you either tried the same or didn't say anything at all, to save time for us both.

And I must say the assertion that I should put "effort" into a series is entirely rude, not just because such a thing has no meaning (how can one watch a show harder, with more willpower?), but also because Oda hasn't held up his end and done the same.
Jun 1, 2023 10:44 AM

Feb 2019
ShatteredSans said:
Yuu Kamiya doesn't just constantly add more locations and characters. We also get good look at how most of their societies function (he takes the time to properly flesh out these locations and characters), information about the 10 pledges, and a lot of information about the end of the great war (the event that practically shaped Disboard into what it is today). Also, while the world gets expanded frequently, with new locations and characters being introduced in almost every volume, there is a main setting. The kingdom of Elkia. Specifically the royal castle.

I'm just generally not good at describing/explaining things, but trust me, the world building in No Game No Life is very good. You just don't get to see very much of it in the anime, because the anime has only adapted the first 3 volumes (which is essentially the series' introductory arc)
I trsut you won't mind me reusing my earlier comment as a response, but I feel it applies here too:

While NGNL easily has better worldbuilding than the other series I've had to discuss here, it still suffers from the same general problem of excessive growth and lacking relevance. Interestingly at least there is some potential, one could easily have reworked the series into something a bit more like Kino's Journey, where the focus is precisely on how bizarre restrictions or customs affect communities.
Jun 1, 2023 10:48 AM

Jul 2022
O_T_T said:
Blossom_Tree said:

You have no way of knowing if I've read or seen One Piece or not. In the case of the latter, my manga list is private, so you're completely in the dark on that subject, and the former is entirely a result of my decision to display it or not. I could have seen it and decided not to bother counting all of its million episodes, or I could mark it as completed at any point without actually having touched it with a barge pole.

Of course, it benefits your opinion to claim that I know nothing about the series, which is why you have done so. We both know full well that you've just broadcasted your fantasy because you feel it will discredit me and free you from having to make a legitimate counterpoint to my own. Since you have not done so, completely ignoring my explanation of what worldbuilding is and means for works of fiction and instead repeated your beliefs for the third time, I will make the conclusion that - most unlike One Piece - this is a point to close up shop.

@Za_Panda , this shall be the case with you also. In case you haven't noticed, I'm trying to discuss the subject at least a little seriously, so I really would prefer you either tried the same or didn't say anything at all, to save time for us both.

And I must say the assertion that I should put "effort" into a series is entirely rude, not just because such a thing has no meaning (how can one watch a show harder, with more willpower?), but also because Oda hasn't held up his end and done the same.

lol you haven’t watched or read it you just think 12 ep animes are better without ever trying OP. if you had watched it you’d have it on your profile and you could tell me who the girl Usopp always lied to was from his past. if you can’t then move on and accept you shouldn’t speak on a series you don’t consume.

Jun 1, 2023 1:07 PM
Oct 2019
@O_T_T That's a fair point. A lot of the nations introduced do tend to become pretty irrelevant after their arcs, with a few exceptions. But I never claimed that NGNL's worldbuilding was flawless, just that it's good, the original post asked for magical worlds with good world building, and NGNL was the first one that came to my mind.
Jun 2, 2023 2:19 AM

Sep 2021
Honzuki no Gekokujou fleshes out stuff like the social structure, economy, city, country, plants and animals, religion, etc. and it supports the story. Unlike most fantasy, magic does not contradict the economic system.

Mo Dao Zu Shi has pretty good world-building, and magic in the form of cultivation. But some detail is missing regarding the lives of common folk not part of cultivation clans.
Jun 5, 2023 10:54 AM
May 2008
Gwyn223 said:
I bet there are so many options out there that can blow your mind with their magical worlds Let's dive into some recommendations..

Then in Anime I would say Log Horizon is really nice too, especially season 1. (unfortunately S2 and 3 flopped due to getting a new studio Studio DEEN)
Not an anime, but a JRPG. 

Legend of Heroes is among the best when it comes to worldbuilding. It's really detailed. I highly recommend it if you enjoy worldbuilding.
Jun 6, 2023 8:28 AM

Oct 2021
Mushoku Tensei is one of the best (if not, the best) there is to offer.
Jun 6, 2023 9:38 AM
Jan 2020
O_T_T said:
Blossom_Tree said:

Za_Panda said:

So, do u have any recommendations for good world building? U gave a really nice explanation there, so I am curious abt which anime/manga/novel u consider to have good world building.

I digress, I am a huge fan of pompo movie too!
Jun 6, 2023 12:52 PM

Dec 2020
Mushoku Tensei with no hesitation. The world building from that anime is insane.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Jun 6, 2023 1:40 PM

Jan 2022
O_T_T said:
Blossom_Tree said:

I know I'm coming into this discussion abruptly, but it is clear that you have probably not read over 200 chapters of One piece. It does start where each place is just a stepping stone, but then as the main characters get stronger, they get to impact the locations they visit more, and as we stop by some places, we meet characters that we can follow on misadventures everywhere. I find the cover series story of One Piece is a great example of world building.
Regarding this:  
''No, a "uncharted" world merely allows for mystery. A competent writer would already have a chart of their own, so to speak. Consider a simple example for how this can lead to issues - in One Piece, my understanding is that the cast is travelling equatorially along a specific ocean current. My understanding is also that the world of One Piece has been established as a globe with an established size. Now, since the series seeks to run indefinitely, what shall happen once they have travelled across the entire world? Retcon the size of the planet? Carry on and hope no-one notices? I imagine they'll find some silly reason by which they end up in a new route elsewhere, but that just delays the inevitable. You see, even the simplest of lore details falls apart when you try to piece it together with the narrative of the franchise, something that really should be the most basic thing to get right.''
You make the argument that the world doesn't hold because One Piece will run indefinitely. What? It will end around the time they reach the One Piece. It's been established that we're entering the final arc, around last year (though that doesn't mean it'll be small). If ever they want to add to One Piece, then exploring other important characters in depth would be the way to go. We haven't seen any of the 3 blues that aren't East, so that's something (in which Luffy would certainly not be involved). And given that you can make these additions for quite a lot of characters (although quite a few do have established backstories), does mean that the setup is all there; it's a real world. Good world building.
Regarding this:  
''Worldbuilding is essentially theoretical anthropology. It's about understanding how civilisations function and react, affected by elements such as existing cultural norms and traditions, geographic and physiological factors. Above all else, it is about expressing a storyline by means of a logical and believable setting.
Not that absolutely none of that ahs anything to do with what you described. Even if the One Piece lot do go to a new island with new (allegedly characterised) people, and there they learn some lesson or acquire some (allegedly) relevant item, since this has nothing to do with what worldbuilding means for a work of fiction, the point I think you were trying to make is entirely moot.''
From this claim alone, I do believe that you have not watched One Piece. Quite often, when they visit an island, they don't come out of it with an item, or a lesson (Edit: Ah, you mean, like Haki or stuff. That happens, but very rarely). They come out with (at times) a crewmate, (always) by making an impact on the location, changing how they live (as was established when they get there, and is seen afterwards by the repercussions; of course the pirates themselves can't just come back to check, and they wouldn't anyways), and (at times) information about the world.
I do believe, with all that One Piece has to offer, that you have not read it. Might have started it, but certainly haven't gotten very far (in relations to the length of the manga/anime). Not basing myself on your list, but on your claims. I won't say that there are arguments that can be made for which One Piece is not a representation of good world building. However, you have not made those arguments.

Irrevalent to above, but whilst I really like HxH, that one, I would argue, does not have good worldbuilding.
Jun 8, 2023 10:50 AM

Feb 2019
Bidoof_PMD-EOS said:
I know I'm coming into this discussion abruptly, but it is clear that you have probably not read over 200 chapters of One piece. It does start where each place is just a stepping stone, but then as the main characters get stronger, they get to impact the locations they visit more, and as we stop by some places, we meet characters that we can follow on misadventures everywhere. I find the cover series story of One Piece is a great example of world building.

I direct you, as I did to another previously, to the comment I made earlier. Though you quoted it, you evidently did not understand it.

Characters impacting locations is not worldbuilding. Said locations being internally consistent and logically feasible irrespective of those characters, is. This, you are not arguing for.

You make the argument that the world doesn't hold because One Piece will run indefinitely. What? It will end around the time they reach the One Piece. It's been established that we're entering the final arc, around last year (though that doesn't mean it'll be small).

You've missed the point I made. It's not that without an ending, One Piece's worldbuilding suffers, but that because it's already been stretched to excess (due in no small part due to the simple fact of being a shounen, a format that effectively demands this) any potential ideas Oda may have had have been changed and contradicted in order to pump out more issues. Look up older interviews with him, there's a clear point where he completely upends the plans he claimed to have and extends the story by another - at the time - half's length.

If ever they want to add to One Piece, then exploring other important characters in depth would be the way to go. We haven't seen any of the 3 blues that aren't East, so that's something (in which Luffy would certainly not be involved). And given that you can make these additions for quite a lot of characters (although quite a few do have established backstories), does mean that the setup is all there; it's a real world. Good world building.

Completely irrelevant to the matter at hand. How you imagine One Piece spinoffs is not important here, at all.

And I repeat what I've said in this thread several times already, good characters - if we pretend One Piece has those for the moment - aren't good worldbuilding.

From this claim alone, I do believe that you have not watched One Piece. Quite often, when they visit an island, they don't come out of it with an item, or a lesson (Edit: Ah, you mean, like Haki or stuff. That happens, but very rarely). They come out with (at times) a crewmate, (always) by making an impact on the location, changing how they live (as was established when they get there, and is seen afterwards by the repercussions; of course the pirates themselves can't just come back to check, and they wouldn't anyways), and (at times) information about the world.
I do believe, with all that One Piece has to offer, that you have not read it. Might have started it, but certainly haven't gotten very far (in relations to the length of the manga/anime). Not basing myself on your list, but on your claims. I won't say that there are arguments that can be made for which One Piece is not a representation of good world building. However, you have not made those arguments.

This again needs only what I said at the top of this comment, what you're arguing in favour of is irrelevant to the question at hand.

As for your attempts to judge how much of it I have read or seen, I find that it's the same half-baked excuse already made earlier in this thread; "I disagree with you about [X], therefore I will decide you haven't seen [X] which I believe makes you immediately wrong."
Jun 8, 2023 10:54 AM
Jan 2009
MeltingSky said:
Making a properly comprehensive list would take forever so I'm just going to list a few off the top of my head.

Made in Abyss
Ancient Magus Bride
Ascendance of a Bookworm (Preferably the novels)
Heavenly Delusion
Shinsekai yori
Land of the Lustrous (Good anime adaption but horribly incomplete. Manga is great.)
Dragon Dentist
Moribito
Kino's Journey
Yona of the Dawn (Preferably the Manga since anime is woefully incomplete.)
Other Side Picnic (Novels or possibly the manga. Never the anime.)
Princess Mononoke
Mushishi
Dennou Coil
Girl's Last Tour (Anime is very good, but the story's last arc and conclusion is manga only. Manga is excellent.)
Baccano!
Hinamatsuri (Good anime adaption, but incomplete. Manga is better.)
Machikado Mazoku (Believe it or not this mahou shoujo comedy has very good world-building.)
Ghost in the Shell Original Movie and Stand Alone Complex
Kemono no Souja Erin
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Manga)
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (Only a few anime OVAs, Manga is a masterpiece.)
Aria
Dead Dead Demons dedede Destruction (Manga)
FMA (People love to hate what's popular but the world-building was top-notch for a shounen.)

And I'm out of time and motivation for now. I tried to pick a wide selection of genres. If anyone seriously wants a proper list including more manga let me know and I will put in some more effort. Those I've listed I would personally recommend.
this is the only good post ITT

see also

Escaflowne
Royal Space Force
Xam'd
Eureka Seven
Nausicaa
Now and Then, Here and There
Jun 8, 2023 12:51 PM

May 2020
Actually good worldbuilding, huh. That's a tough one. I'll see what I can do.

Nausicaa (manga/anime) - I'm planning to get to the manga, but even the world in just the anime was incredible, both aesthetically and conceptually.

Eureka Seven (anime) - I really like this one for its unique flavor of sci-fi. A lot of parts of the natural world function fundamentally differently than real life, and the sci-fi simply feels like the technology designed around the world. It also has extremely cool looking landscapes and structures.

Kemono Friends (anime) - I'm not kidding. The first season of the anime (which is all I watched since I heard it gets bad after that) just drops you into its world, and lets you slowly realize that something strange is going on with it.

Blame! (manga) - A world so intriguing that it's the foundation of the manga's entire appeal. Probably the most immersive sci-fi world I've seen in any anime or manga.

Akatsuki no Yona (manga/anime) - I haven't gotten around to the manga yet, but I could tell the world had a ton to offer. Everything I've heard about the manga confirms this.

Otoyomegatari (manga) - It's technically not a fantasy at all, but the exploration of the cultures it takes place in is pretty interesting, not to mention how they affect the story and themes.

Dorohedoro (manga) - The manga is a wild ride. The world is insane, yet there's somehow a reason for it all. It takes place across two worlds, the human world and the sorcerer world, and the worldbuilding of both play a huge part in the themes. Aesthetically, it rules. Everything from the walls to the people look completely filthy, and it really gives a strong sense of identity.

Made in Abyss (manga/anime) - A lot of people said it, and I'd have to agree. The Abyss is very well fleshed out, from the landscape of the different areas, the animal and plant life, the kind of landmarks and treasures you'll find, the supernatural elements, and the mystery of why everything is as it is.

Also, I'm probably going to get crap for this, but you did say novels, so... The Stormlight Archive. It feels like the quintessential fantasy world. It takes place on this continent where a massive, hurricane+ storm blows over the entire world from east to west every few days, and everything from the plants and animals that exist, to the way humans live is designed around it, as well as the landscape made almost entirely of rock. It has a ton different cultures, races, and natural landscapes and phenomena that affect how people live and view the world. The more magical and supernatural elements are fascinating, and enrich the world by being these things everyone sees as normal but know very little about. The mysteries behind the world's history, supernatural elements, and enigmatic characters are super gripping, and the twist reveals are some of the best I've ever read. If there was one downside, it's that it largely takes place in a single part of the world for the first two books, as that's where the main conflicts are happening.
Jun 8, 2023 1:25 PM

Feb 2019
VardhanD said:
O_T_T said:

So, do u have any recommendations for good world building? U gave a really nice explanation there, so I am curious abt which anime/manga/novel u consider to have good world building.

I digress, I am a huge fan of pompo movie too!
Thanks for asking. In terms of stories whose worlds encompass their own entirely, I'd put forward the following:

• Deca-Dence, which presented a complex society through two different lenses, allowing for an interesting and unique way of experiencing both competing cultures of the setting.
  • YuYuYu, which gave an excellent and thoroughly deep depiction of a theocracy, with (particularly in the source material) many storylines from multiple times and places in the world that each shone a new light on how their civilisation functioned.
  • Expelled from Paradise and Blame, which despite their comparatively short runtimes and limited scope of their settings present clever environments that wholly consider the issues their peoples face.

Elements from other worlds linking to our own and the societal changes that result from that are also a point to mention, where I'd probably suggest KADO, whose surprisingly theory-accurate depictions of higher dimensions are truly intriguing. Second to that, Cop Craft, though its new-world elements are rather limited, still uses them to make interesting social points that each time show consideration for the wider cultural changes they could prompt, both for the better and for the worse.

I'll also give a customary honourary place to the Nasuverse, which though not as good as some of the other suggestions from a consistency standpoint, is one of the few works that goes full ham into having the world reflect the franchise's themes, with most if not all rules and concepts in it expressing Nasu's views on humanity as a lost and wasteful civilisation, yet also one that draws resolve from their own existing progress to fuel more.
Jun 8, 2023 3:44 PM
Jan 2022
One Piece really does a great job in term of puttin 100 stuff in it for sure.

But it's crazy that people reply here with "you've only seen 200 episodes" yes, okay, 200 episodes isn't enough to see the quality of a work...?
Nah people don't want to see 1000 episodes of Luffy shouting about becoming king of the pirates and catching power up on power up after losing the fight 3 times, I know, it's shocking, but generally people with a bit of taste can't do it.

Now, I've read the whole manga, 200 to 450 episodes is more than enough to see what One Piece is all about (Skypea and Alabasta are in the best arcs anyways)
-> One Piece is undeniably one of the best in terms of WorldBuilding, that's just undeniable. If we take the first part of the manga, the second part is just lore stuffed into the story (and I won't spoil, but the last chapters clearly show that we're more on lore stuffed with anything than worldbuilding).

Oda has created a world, with a government, a history, geopolitics (well it's not code guess either, I won't sell dreams), mythology, legends...Each place is an opportunity to see how the inhabitants live there, how Luffy, the government or the other pirates influence them, I'm sorry but let's be honest few manga have done as well.

What Oda clearly didn't do (and which is purely overrated) ? 

-> Good character development, now if you have a minimum of taste, you can't seriously claim that characters are One Piece's strong point, and yet I see many here defending worldbuilding with that (it's not even related, by the way).
Jun 8, 2023 3:49 PM
Jan 2022
Also, One Piece is an incoherent, poorly managed mess with horrible pacing. 
(Yes, I said its Worldbuilding was great, but I guess you also want someone to recommend a GOOD manga, One Piece isn't one).

If you want a manga that's fairly easy to follow with less bullshit, Mushoku Tensei or Made in Abyss should do the trick, never go for One Piece when you want quality or you haven't read it since you were 12 and so nostalgia can't do the trick.
Jun 8, 2023 6:30 PM

Jan 2022
O_T_T said:
Bidoof_PMD-EOS said:

I direct you, as I did to another previously, to the comment I made earlier. Though you quoted it, you evidently did not understand it.

Characters impacting locations is not worldbuilding. Said locations being internally consistent and logically feasible irrespective of those characters, is. This, you are not arguing for.

You make the argument that the world doesn't hold because One Piece will run indefinitely. What? It will end around the time they reach the One Piece. It's been established that we're entering the final arc, around last year (though that doesn't mean it'll be small).

You've missed the point I made. It's not that without an ending, One Piece's worldbuilding suffers, but that because it's already been stretched to excess (due in no small part due to the simple fact of being a shounen, a format that effectively demands this) any potential ideas Oda may have had have been changed and contradicted in order to pump out more issues. Look up older interviews with him, there's a clear point where he completely upends the plans he claimed to have and extends the story by another - at the time - half's length.

If ever they want to add to One Piece, then exploring other important characters in depth would be the way to go. We haven't seen any of the 3 blues that aren't East, so that's something (in which Luffy would certainly not be involved). And given that you can make these additions for quite a lot of characters (although quite a few do have established backstories), does mean that the setup is all there; it's a real world. Good world building.

Completely irrelevant to the matter at hand. How you imagine One Piece spinoffs is not important here, at all.

And I repeat what I've said in this thread several times already, good characters - if we pretend One Piece has those for the moment - aren't good worldbuilding.

This again needs only what I said at the top of this comment, what you're arguing in favour of is irrelevant to the question at hand.

As for your attempts to judge how much of it I have read or seen, I find that it's the same half-baked excuse already made earlier in this thread; "I disagree with you about [X], therefore I will decide you haven't seen [X] which I believe makes you immediately wrong."
Regarding box 1:
Yeah, no, characters impacting a location isn't necessarily worldbuilding. The fact that the locations work a certain way before their intervention, and then might work differently after, though, I would argue, is. I may be misunderstanding the concept of worldbuilding, but if you're going to, say, talk about the worldbuilding of Hiroshima, assuming of course that it would be a fictional location. In that case, it would be necessary to speak of the bomb, and how everything worked before and after. One piece shows us the 'before' and the bomb, and has glimpses of the 'after'. It's not all incompassing, but nothing is.
I'm not arguing that they are internally consistent, since that would require that I cherry pick a few examples. Say Alabasta. I'm not going to set it up, assuming you've read/seen some of One Piece, but it's pretty much Egypt. Most of the locations are set close to water (as one would). There are a few big cities, and not many smaller ones, as they would not have a way to survive. There's starting to be a lack of drinkable water, so the population is restless. True, here, we don't see much about the regular person's life, but you do in other islands. We see the various creatures of the desert and what not, and ways that the citizens deal with it (if ever they go to the desert, or the see). I'm not going to speak of Barock Works, as they are an outside force anyways, but whilst I won't say it's perfect, this is how I see worldbuilding. Logically feasible? Given the notions of Devil Fruits, Sea kings, and super strong humans as the base premise, I do see some instances where logic seems to be lacking a bit, but I don't think that would break the worldbuilding, as much as the characterisations.
Oh, and if you've seen/read up to fishman island, then Arlong Park.
Regarding box 2:
Okay, so he came up with stuff on the fly, and it breaks worldbuilding. I haven't seen any interviews of him, but by reading the series, and knowing about the Worst Generation, I won't disagree. I see a lot of gaps regarding strength (such as Impel Down, where it isn't internally consistent that that one prison is as secure as they make it out to be), but nothing else.
Regarding box 3:
Just wanted to bring it up, since I recently learned that it existed for certain characters. I'm not going to say that One Piece characters are that well written, but it's through a character's eyes that you see the world, and if a character doesn't interact with a certain part of the world, then it most likely isn't going to interact with him directly. I just mean to say that various locations that are skipped could be explored upon. I'm specifically answering your claim that there eventually won't be more to see logically, from the MC's viewpoint. 
Regarding box 4:
It may not be arguing the question, but I'm arguing the points you make which do not directly relate to the question. If I see an essay that isn't well written, I'll comment on the grammar, even though it isn't the subject of the essay, just because it's there. Edit: A better example is that I'm the type of person that tries to 100% a game by going through the wrong paths intentionally.
Yeah, I am completely basing myself on my own judgement by saying that. I guess I don't have to say this on the forums, but I was just communicating what convinced me, if ever someone else with my mindset stumbled upon this.
Bidoof_PMD-EOSJun 8, 2023 8:05 PM
Jun 8, 2023 6:40 PM

Jan 2022
Kaylorz said:

But it's crazy that people reply here with "you've only seen 200 episodes" yes, okay, 200 episodes isn't enough to see the quality of a work...?
Nah people don't want to see 1000 episodes of Luffy shouting about becoming king of the pirates and catching power up on power up after losing the fight 3 times, I know, it's shocking, but generally people with a bit of taste can't do it.

Now, I've read the whole manga, 200 to 450 episodes is more than enough to see what One Piece is all about (Skypea and Alabasta are in the best arcs anyways)
-> One Piece is undeniably one of the best in terms of WorldBuilding, that's just undeniable. If we take the first part of the manga, the second part is just lore stuffed into the story (and I won't spoil, but the last chapters clearly show that we're more on lore stuffed with anything than worldbuilding).

Oda has created a world, with a government, a history, geopolitics (well it's not code guess either, I won't sell dreams), mythology, legends...Each place is an opportunity to see how the inhabitants live there, how Luffy, the government or the other pirates influence them, I'm sorry but let's be honest few manga have done as well.

-> Good character development, now if you have a minimum of taste, you can't seriously claim that characters are One Piece's strong point, and yet I see many here defending worldbuilding with that (it's not even related, by the way).
Just regarding the 'only seen 200 episodes'.
I'm assuming you're partly commenting on my 'not read over 200 chapters'. By that, I mean, haven't gotten through Alabasta, which you agree is a must-watch before commenting on the worldbuilding of One piece. Alabasta ends at chapter 217, episode 130. 
You say yourself 200-450 episodes. That's more than what I asked. I would say Wano probably has the best worldbuilding, but Alabasta is enough.
Oh, also, for characters relating to worldbuilding, Robin is pretty much the go-to for that. Her character is what worldbuilt the void century, which is already big. Then you have Jimbe, with the whole thing with the Sun pirates. It's not that we're exploring the character, we're exploring the world around the character, which is worldbuilding, no?
Jun 8, 2023 6:43 PM

Oct 2018
I just stopped by to say that expositional dialogue is not world-building, so Mushoku Tensei is not good even in that aspect.
Have a great week, everyone.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jun 8, 2023 7:43 PM

May 2020
Phosphophyllita said:
I just stopped by to say that expositional dialogue is not world-building, so Mushoku Tensei is not good even in that aspect.
Have a great week, everyone.
They hated Jesus because he told them the truth.
Jun 8, 2023 7:45 PM
Jan 2022
Bidoof_PMD-EOS said:
Kaylorz said:

I'm assuming you're partly commenting on my 'not read over 200 chapters'. By that, I mean, haven't gotten through Alabasta, which you agree is a must-watch before commenting on the worldbuilding of One piece. Alabasta ends at chapter 217, episode 130. 
You say yourself 200-450 episodes. That's more than what I asked. I would say Wano probably has the best worldbuilding, but Alabasta is enough.
Oh, also, for characters relating to worldbuilding, Robin is pretty much the go-to for that. Her character is what worldbuilt the void century, which is already big. Then you have Jimbe, with the whole thing with the Sun pirates. It's not that we're exploring the character, we're exploring the world around the character, which is worldbuilding, no?
I'm sorry but Wano is an absolut mess and one of the worst arc in the manga, especially his second part, that's not worldbuilding, that's exactly what haters call out One Piece for -> a messy lore dumping. 
It was cool at the beginning then they start puttin 1000 flashback to explain everything and destroyin the worldbuilding for nun

Nah, how to kill your worldbuilding. 

Robin is not even a character I'm sorry but she is just a plot device lmao that's not "worldbuilding" let's be serious now. In fact it's prolly the worst thing you can have to build your world, that's just laziness.
Her purpose is literally "oh look at that HUGE stone lemme read it....damn so yeah back in the days Joy Boy was crazy !!" Nah fam that's not worldbuilding  like you ain't showing nothin you just stating.  
Robin pullin out lore out of her ahh, in my opinion it's not worldbuilding. 
But that's just me tho.

-> In fact, poneglyph is, in my opinion one of the LAMEST thing to build your world, it's screamin lore dumping. Like you just gon state random lore like that ? Nah that's crazy...Skypea was aight tho cuz you actually SEE the ancient civilization or whatever. 

That's why I said, the first part of One Piece was something.

And I don't even know what's the point with Jimbe, I can see the vision but I'm sorry, I think most people actually don't care about the Sun Pirate, like they not THAT important, in the same arc you got the whole thing with JoyBoy and the promise, Noa or whatever that boat is + See how fishmen are treated, how they live etc. Sun Pirate is very minor to me... They said "yeah so fisher tiger was very impactful" yeah okay your people are still enslaved lmao. 
KaylorzJun 8, 2023 7:50 PM
Jun 8, 2023 8:29 PM

Jan 2022
Kaylorz said:
Bidoof_PMD-EOS said:
I'm sorry but Wano is an absolut mess and one of the worst arc in the manga, especially his second part, that's not worldbuilding, that's exactly what haters call out One Piece for -> a messy lore dumping. 
It was cool at the beginning then they start puttin 1000 flashback to explain everything and destroyin the worldbuilding for nun

Nah, how to kill your worldbuilding. 

Robin is not even a character I'm sorry but she is just a plot device lmao that's not "worldbuilding" let's be serious now. In fact it's prolly the worst thing you can have to build your world, that's just laziness.
Her purpose is literally "oh look at that HUGE stone lemme read it....damn so yeah back in the days Joy Boy was crazy !!" Nah fam that's not worldbuilding  like you ain't showing nothin you just stating.  
Robin pullin out lore out of her ahh, in my opinion it's not worldbuilding. 
But that's just me tho.

-> In fact, poneglyph is, in my opinion one of the LAMEST thing to build your world, it's screamin lore dumping. Like you just gon state random lore like that ? Nah that's crazy...Skypea was aight tho cuz you actually SEE the ancient civilization or whatever. 

That's why I said, the first part of One Piece was something.

And I don't even know what's the point with Jimbe, I can see the vision but I'm sorry, I think most people actually don't care about the Sun Pirate, like they not THAT important, in the same arc you got the whole thing with JoyBoy and the promise, Noa or whatever that boat is + See how fishmen are treated, how they live etc. Sun Pirate is very minor to me... They said "yeah so fisher tiger was very impactful" yeah okay your people are still enslaved lmao. 
I would disagree. Wano was cut it 3 arcs. The third one was indeed not at all useful regarding worldbuilding, mostly, but the other 2 were pretty good.
Regarding your spoiler points:
1: Yeah, we didn't know anyone important back in the days, save for Whitebeard and Roger, for obvious reasons. Of course other characters exist. We wouldn't have learned about Tom without stopping at Water Seven, and although not as important as Oden, he did some important stuff. We would barely have know Rayleigh if they hadn't met him on Sabaody. (Plus, he wasn't with them that long)
2: Ace met the crew like 2 times, and barely had some time to spend with them (in the manga). He's not going to recite his life.
3: You had guns in Dressrosa. You have light speed travel with that admiral. What's so special with
4: I agree that that's weird, and that it also does impact the worldbuilding a bit.
5: We don't know the specifics yet. I do agree that I don't particularly like where I think that's heading, but that's not really affecting the worldbuilding.
I'm not saying that they are good characters but I don't really mean the poneglyphs with Robin, but how her introduction brought about this huge change in perspective on what the marines/World Government is. We haven't actually learned anything from the (history) poneglyphs yet (I think), so even if it's not a good way to give worldbuilding, he's not even basing himself on that to give it to us.
You can prefer the first half all you like. I'm not here for that.
Yeah, I also don't care about the Sun Pirates. But that is worldbuilding. It gives us a state of the world, as well as how it happened. The fishmen are theoretically free, it's just that racism persists. I'm also not saying it's the most important part of the arc, but I still value it over knowledge of the ancient weapon and that thing with Joy boy (for how little there is). And it's all driven by a character.

More topics from this board

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - 2 hours ago

3 by r3v3l3v3l »»
15 minutes ago

» Looking for girls in a certain outfit

Nagi_Karman - 53 minutes ago

0 by Nagi_Karman »»
53 minutes ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

7 by ColdBlackTeaFan »»
7 hours ago

» An anime that's impossible to hate

AnimeDownUnder - Apr 4

23 by Skuletor »»
Yesterday, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Pick the best one for me.

phantom346 - Apr 12

8 by mo_lave »»
Yesterday, 2:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.