Forums

[Update June 1] Forum Conversation View: Beta Testing

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 1, 2023 3:00 PM

Mar 2008
Lucifrost said:
StarfireDragon said:
I either need to make it in separate posts, which goes against all forum etiquette as far as I have come to know it, from literally every forum I have been on.
Oh, but this forum's etiquette allows for all manner of double and triple posting. Kineta said so herself!

Cant wait for mod infighting as the mods using "classic" mode clash with mods using "conversation" mode. Start merging posts and screwing things up for eachother non stop. Might want to start reporting mods for double posting to fan the imminent flames.
Jun 1, 2023 3:16 PM

Feb 2016
@traed  Who's going to be reporting mods? Double posting is no longer against the rules, which you should know since you quoted me saying it's no longer against the rules...
...Do you anticipate some other form of infighting? I don't intend to ever use "conversation," nor am I interested in learning how it looks. In what ways might the classic and conversation mods make work harder for each other?
その目だれの目?
Jun 1, 2023 3:23 PM

Oct 2015
I don't usually reply on these threads, but having to use the forums like this to do club work for multiple clubs is such. a. pain.

- Why are the pages listed at THE BOTTOM on the first page (and underneath OP's post?), but then listed on BOTH the BOTTOM AND TOP on any other page? Please just add it at the top on the first page again, it's such a bother. I can understand you removed it from the top on the first page because it doesn't look nice? But then I'd rather you keep it and make it look better... Of course nobody knows why these changes went through because you didn't ask / communicate.
- Removing the quote functionality is going to make you lose a lot of happy (and unhappy) users... and I simply don't understand why you wouldn't keep it added. Some people will LOVE the reply feature and it's great. But why remove quotes? Have both...
- Clicking a post number to get a link now REFRESHES the page? Why? Is this something that HAD to happen? This isn't an upgrade, it's also a bother.
- (I'm not a mal supporter) but from what I've seen conversations look messy, having to click to see posts is also a bother.

I understand trying to innovate, make design changes, etc...
But I'd like to once again ask of the MAL staff to actually ask users what they want. None of the changes in the past couple of updates have been nice. The website was arguably better for most people half a year ago.

I hope this beta test does not go through, or at least most of it.
LukaThe12thJun 1, 2023 3:29 PM

ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
ꜱᴇᴛ ʙʏ ᴍᴀᴢᴇ <3!

Jun 1, 2023 4:48 PM

Feb 2010
@traed
@dierubikdie
@LukaThe12th

https://userstyles.world/style/10124/fix-first-thread-page

If anyone wants some of these changes reversed now, I've written this theme to restore the links/reply button on first pages back to where they were before, it seems all good on my end, preview:

@StarfireDragon
We may have a quote button restoring script available to everyone soon as well, thanks to Hacker09 and Valerio_Lyndon's efforts. Deleting the quote button was the worst change by far!

Jun 1, 2023 6:01 PM

Mar 2008
@Lucifrost
Ah so they dont even care about shitting up how the site looks huh

Well it is possible to reply to users in such a way it's not clear you replied to anyone. You could say something that will look like you are agreeing with the OP but you are agreeing with a specific user or vice versa who could be saying something very obscene and some people will react and to other people it will look like they are jumping on you for no reason or that they are being oddly in agreeance with something terrible ...which will be pretty funny the chaos this will cause.
Jun 1, 2023 6:08 PM

Feb 2010
Man it's SO annoying and inconvenient that you now have to scroll up and find what the user is replying to in "classic" mode. It really is a hassle playing detective to piece together the conversation.

Jun 1, 2023 6:11 PM

Mar 2008
@Shishio-kun
Thats nice. Too bad i cant user userscripts currently. No support in the browser im stuck with atm.

Could you all make it so you can get a quote chain going? I have been doing it manually purely in spite and a script would make it easier for others to piss off MAL staff till they give up on this failed plan.

EDIT: Damnit because you made another post it made it look like i was replying to your other post not the one before it.. .fuck...who is responsible anyway?
Jun 1, 2023 6:26 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Shishio-kun said:
Man it's SO annoying and inconvenient that you now have to scroll up and find what the user is replying to in "classic" mode. It really is a hassle playing detective to piece together the conversation.

https://i.imgur.com/09Y67am.png

They at least reverted and brought back the quote feature!!

but yes, +9999 that it's inconvenient the way reply currently works

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jun 1, 2023 6:36 PM

Dec 2019
SheyCroix said:
Shishio-kun said:

wow this is great

I wasn't expecting Mal to hear its users...

I guess I won't have to release the quote feature as a script anymore hah
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Jun 1, 2023 6:38 PM

Jun 2011
SheyCroix said:
Shishio-kun said:

Temporarily.
Please understand that this is a temporary reversion. When we have solved the issue of displaying which post was replied to in Classic view, the quote button will be restored to the reply button, and the reply box will appear below the post again. Quoting multiple posts in one reply will be discouraged. Quote chains of entire posts will not be automatically created anymore. If a member on Classic view wants to see the whole conversation chain instead of only the last post, we are discussing adding a link which will optionally display this.

They are still planning on making double/triple/etc posting the norm to cater to the new template.
Jun 1, 2023 6:57 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
@Kineta

Quoting a post currently allows us to see the post's original BBCode. Are we going to retain that functionality in any shape or form?

At the very least, some sites have a "view source" feature on their forums where you can see exactly what formatting/tags/code/etc someone used to style their post. Anything like that, maybe?
rubikJun 1, 2023 7:00 PM

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
Jun 1, 2023 6:59 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Quotes in the original forum code are not associated with the post they come from. They are text with BBcode and a link inserted into the post. If the user edits their post after you quote it, your quote of the post will not be updated to reflect it. If the post is deleted, your quote of their post will remain. There is no relationship in the code between these posts, and so these kinds of relationships needed to be created for Conversation view.

But it's still an useful way to get a look at pretty coding to get ideas for our own. To look and salvage old data from older threads, specially so images since if we try to open any image on MAL on a new tab OR grab the link, we have no way of getting the original ones. Only the MAL hosted one which, more often than not, doesn't work.

Sometime between this decision and implementation, e. was missed. And since a significant amount of time had passed between this decision and our internal testing, I didn't realize it was missing. It was my oversight that this element was missed, and I'm very sorry that it happened this way.

Well, it's good to know that it was planned to work differently to how it currently did.

Please understand that this is a temporary reversion. When we have solved the issue of displaying which post was replied to in Classic view, the quote button will be restored to the reply button, and the reply box will appear below the post again. Quoting multiple posts in one reply will be discouraged. Quote chains of entire posts will not be automatically created anymore. If a member on Classic view wants to see the whole conversation chain instead of only the last post, we are discussing adding a link which will optionally display this.

Why can't we have both then T_T

As someone who has always been a stickler for not double-posting (and often adding 3 or more replies to one post), I know how wrong it feels to see other members respond with multiple posts in a row—each one a single response to one other post. With each passing year, I've also seen how more and more new members tend to treat the quote button like a reply button. Because this is what they are used to on other websites.

It's indeed a bit much to see multiple posts of the same person, replying to multiple people. But the main problem there is simply not knowing what that was a reply for. As long as that's fixed, double+ posting shouldn't be much of a trouble.
Tho that does raise the question, will the posts per thread limit stay the same?
@Kineta

There has never been any intention from our side to force you to change views. Just like we have been maintaining the Classic List for the last 7 years.

But at least the Modern List was an actually helpful and good change. Not so detrimentally perceived 😔
(ps, do that many people still use classic?)

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jun 1, 2023 7:12 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
SheyCroix said:
But at least the Modern List was an actually helpful and good change. Not so detrimentally perceived 😔

I would think that a not insignificant amount use classic just for the legacy list designs. I have come across a few in the wild. Although it still must be so much fewer than modern.
Jun 1, 2023 7:18 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Kineta said:
Please understand that this is a temporary reversion. When we have solved the issue of displaying which post was replied to in Classic view, the quote button will be restored to the reply button, and the reply box will appear below the post again.
I appreciate that you listened to feedback and brought it back, even if only temporarily. That said, I think removing BBCode quote functionality entirely is a significant loss. Quoting a post's BBCode directly allows for archival of threads via original image links, it allows new users to learn BB tricks, and it is helpful in just having a smooth conversation. On top of that, you implemented this change directly after Imgur announced their TOS changes and image deletions, which caused many to begin archiving a lot of the links. Without any way to fetch original image links, we would have no way to properly archive some of them especially once they are deleted. Thus the timing was not very good.

I am enjoying having my quote button back. This thread immediately became at least 2x as readable the moment I started seeing quotes in people's messages again.
Jun 1, 2023 7:45 PM

Mar 2008
Kineta said:

June 1 Update
Thank you for your feedback regarding the quote to reply button change. We have reverted the reply button on Classic view back to the original quote button until we can resolve the main issue.

During the beta testing, there will still be some discomfort between Classic and Conversation view since:
  • Posts made in Conversation view will appear as mentions only in both views.
  • Posts made in Classic View will appear as quotes only in both views.

How did this happen?

Oh thank you, it works like it was it seems.

Since seems they are still attempting this I suggest checking out my post on suggestion board. I could only describe so much without knowing all the backend stuff on MAL and not knowing PHP and other languages like that but i tried to go into detail how this might work strategy wise if it's even possible. I dont know if the devs thought of this strategy or not
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2097150

Still a questionable decision on what to try to change on the site when there is so many other things that would be more agreeable and easier to accomplish. I've actually made many suggestions just myself. For starters I think you could get more user interaction just removing the overly strict forum rules and character count limit and also implementing the blacklist idea I wrote about and an easier system for ignoring and blocking users which would create a system of user self moderation reducing any need for moderator input. It would mean no one has to see stuff that bothers them. Its similar to what various social media sites do and while i hate a lot of social media this being a manual thing not an automated algorithm seems totally fine to me and good when used in practice from my limited experience with a system like that.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1945901
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1945873
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1945889

I also am not sure but I think it may have been a mistake for user interaction where how it was made so when after updating an entry you are forced to rate it and a text box appears. That may in theory get more replies overall but less interaction because users wont read anything before replying to a episode/chapter discussion as often. It tells you how many of your friends replied which is nice but it also seems a bit pointless since clicking them doesnt take you to their post or anything, maybe there should be an option to highlight friend comments so you can see them easier? Since some people may only want to reply mainly to friends in episode/chapter discussion or at least more likely want to comment to friends but still interact with other users. I havent made a thread for this yet just spitballing it.

Also as Ive brought up in another suggestion board that the forum needs franchise boards that are a layer above the seasons and films of the franchises so more general franchise and series topics can be made and more easily found. That would help users a lot and encourage discussion.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1750000

I had made these suggestions years back and kept bumping them without it getting much attention.

I could keep making ideas for the site beyond just the forum too just would take a little while to focus on. Also getting the opinions of certain kinds of mods held above everyone else such as forum mods is pretty questionable since since as the current state is as you know it the forum mods dont represent the community and hardly interact with it themselves outside of locking threads and deleting posts (hell one of them deletes entire threads that arent supposed to) so they arent a proper sample. They arent even from the same country demographics as the average forum poster nor from countries with large populous to begin with so their opinions wont always really scale up well. Why not do random surveys at least? Lots of site have user surveys to get a gauge on what to do about something getting a good sample size of users willing to take the survey which can get at a glance more detail than a simple public poll might but public polls are fine too.
Jun 1, 2023 7:51 PM

Feb 2010
traed said:

EDIT: Damnit because you made another post it made it look like i was replying to your other post not the one before it.. .fuck...who is responsible anyway?

HAH

Enjoy the quote while you can! It seems it will be another useful feature replaced with a downgrade everyone hates.

Kineta said:

However, I am fairly confident the scripters will be able to create a solution via script to restore the quote button at least.
Shishio-kunJun 1, 2023 7:56 PM
Jun 1, 2023 8:12 PM

Feb 2010
SheyCroix said:

There has never been any intention from our side to force you to change views. Just like we have been maintaining the Classic List for the last 7 years.

imo modern lists didn't bring any negative consequences to the classic lists people or the classic lists themselves. It gave all users the full benefits of both options, although obviously modern had many more benefits that I don't think were ever ported to classic.

It's not the same for this beta test; conversation mode has had a lot of negative consequences for the "classic" forum users.

The way to make both sides happy is to let forum users keep the advantages of the full quote feature and create some way to allow you to see who/what is being replied to.

-----

Some users still use classic lists yes, I see it all the time. The main reason seems to be either the retro style or the fact it loads all titles on page start up instead of limiting to 300 at a time.
Jun 1, 2023 9:37 PM

Oct 2010
if you really wanna make cool changes, go to the suggestions page, no one asked for this shit, and when are we going to see our signatures again on mobile and when is dark mode coming on mobile?
CatalanoJun 1, 2023 9:40 PM
Jun 1, 2023 9:45 PM

Feb 2023
So they still want to keep these dumb changes despite all the negative feedback? Disappointing.

Nothing good will come out of this.

Shishio-kun said:

If anyone wants some of these changes reversed now, I've written this theme to restore the links/reply button on first pages back to where they were before, it seems all good on my end, preview:

Does this only work on PC? If yes, then it's useless to me.
StyxParadiseJun 2, 2023 1:58 PM
Jun 1, 2023 10:04 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Shishio-kun said:
We may have a quote button restoring script available to everyone soon as well, thanks to Hacker09 and Valerio_Lyndon's efforts. Deleting the quote button was the worst change by far!
Shishio-kun said:
Man that is so much better! Thank you!

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Jun 1, 2023 10:28 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
So... I guess most forum games are going to be fucked up now, considering people are going to be seeing different things. What is MAL's solution to this?

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Jun 1, 2023 10:59 PM

Jul 2022
Why reddit the whole thing? I like MAL's simple design. I swear I'll leave the forums if upvotes/downvotes show up.
Jun 1, 2023 11:02 PM

Jun 2011
Say-My-Name said:
Why reddit the whole thing? I like MAL's simple design. I swear I'll leave the forums if upvotes/downvotes show up.

I guarantee they have upboats planned. That's the natural progression of trying to reddit-ify the site.
Jun 2, 2023 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
What a pity that they only reverted the changes temporarily. They should just scrap the conversation view thing entirely.
Jun 2, 2023 12:33 AM

Sep 2010
Kineta said:
Quotes in the original forum code are not associated with the post they come from. They are text with BBcode and a link inserted into the post. If the user edits their post after you quote it, your quote of the post will not be updated to reflect it. If the post is deleted, your quote of their post will remain. There is no relationship in the code between these posts, and so these kinds of relationships needed to be created for Conversation view.

The biggest issues that arose when trying to create these relationships on the existing forum data was, 1. the aforementioned plain-text quoting system, and 2. the existing forum culture of not double-posting when replying to multiple different posts. Where should a post that has multiple, separate quotes go to? Do we relate it to the first post that is quoted? Do we leave it at the first/parent level, but relate single-quoted posts back to their parents? There are pros and cons to every option.

Realtalk, this is bullshit and just shows that your devs are either lazy or have no idea what they are doing. Where does the post go when there are multiple quotes in one post? Simple, you split it up. Not sure what you mean that it's hard to associate the quote with the post because it contains both the username and the post number, so it has even more information than the @mention.

When a quote starts you hide the quote in reddit view and attach it to its quoted post, as soon as another quote starts within the same post you end the first reply and render another reply and attach it to its quoted post. If your devs didn't come up with that solution on their own or claim it's too hard to do they shouldn't have this job. Maintaining the integrity of classic view should be your highest priority in any case.

At this point you are even changing the forum rules just because your devs are too lazy to do their job.
ateksJun 2, 2023 12:38 AM
Jun 2, 2023 12:37 AM

Oct 2015
They're not going to revert this permanently? Lol. Depressing.

Hopefully a script will make the forums useable again. I pray.

ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
ꜱᴇᴛ ʙʏ ᴍᴀᴢᴇ <3!

Jun 2, 2023 1:12 AM

Oct 2015
Shishio-kun said:
@traed
@dierubikdie
@LukaThe12th

@StarfireDragon

Thank you for this!!

ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
ꜱᴇᴛ ʙʏ ᴍᴀᴢᴇ <3!

Jun 2, 2023 2:11 AM

Jun 2019
I am still unable to post in this thread (I try to quote a user in post #167). I first wrote my post elsewhere and when I copy it, I get the following error:

I have tried to write to rewrite it manuallyinstead of copying and I encountered the same issue thrice!

When I try to preview the message, I get Error 403.

Edit:

149597871 said:
Hey guys, how about you just stop making updates in general? Like, the last 20 interface changes has been straight up downgrades - you obviously aren't good at that and the fact that the majority of users are pissed off every time you change something is a proof of that.

We had perfectly functional forums and website. Don't fix it if it ain't broken!

Thanks traed for showing me how to quote people. Replacing the "quote" function by a "reply" function that merely "at" someone is remarkably uninspired (even if the change is temporarily reverted, it will be eventually implemented; quote towers are good by the way, they allow one to read a conversation without having to scroll through multiple pages). Another proof that the ones in charge of those updates are simply trying to send the forums ad patres. The number of people browsing will likely not increase with those updates.

Well said, this is yet another terrible update and one can only laugh at the though that the moderators ho try to defend it (make no mistake, the difference between the "beta" version and the final one will be negligible) are not even paid to do so! Only someone who never uses the forums can rejoice about this disgraceful redditification—that will inevitably lead to a desertification of this no man's land. A forum is not a Discord server, Reddit is not a forum (it does not allow discussions) either, and it would be more honest to nuke the forums already. At least it will solve the moderation issue if everyone stops posting here.

Next "updates" (sic): emoji reactions and Sibyl system! (As an alternative to the karma system) Meanwhile...

One cannot even use the forums with the current "update"! Since the website crashes every few hours, one is forced to write long messages elsewhere, but then one receives an error message and cannot post!...

Why I could not post: the juxtaposition of a parenthesis sign and an exclamation mark was what created the error. I have no idea about the explanations behind this outstanding issue.

Minimal working example:
MeusnierJun 2, 2023 2:16 PM
Jun 2, 2023 3:12 AM

Jul 2021
Why the modified posts have the year 1970 in them?
Jun 2, 2023 4:20 AM

Jul 2009
I think this is one of those features that is not meaningful to give to paid members first because it affects normal users (with the double posting?) in their normal view.

Keep classic as default view for the testing period but keep the beta feature open to all.

Still think this is a good move, just can't test/comment on it from experience.
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
🌳                             🌳
🌳     🐝           🦝       🌲   🌳 
🌳      Cursor Nature reserve           🌳
🌳        🦋        🦩     🐕    🌳
🌳                              🌳
🌳      🐐        🌲       🐧    🌳
🌳                              🌳
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
Jun 2, 2023 5:30 AM

Dec 2015
I will stay with the classic view - once this gets implemented for everyone (not only beta/supporters). Prefer it that way.

Would make sense use this on a per-thread base. Person making a new thread selecting which mode to use. For normal forum discussions the classic one is still best. I mean ... this is not reddit. For certain threads (suggestions and anime episode threads) the new option might make sense. So people can make sub-conversations/threads. If someone wants to discuss certain stuff more in detail or asks for info from a manga/source material reader.
Jun 2, 2023 5:31 AM
Jun 2022
Bro i wanted this so bad, i always wished for having a manga but i don't have money
Jun 2, 2023 5:48 AM

Dec 2018
Shishio-kun said:
@traed
@dierubikdie
@LukaThe12th

@StarfireDragon

Will these work on mobile devices?

Jun 2, 2023 8:11 AM

Sep 2010
Barrycade said:
Why the modified posts have the year 1970 in them?

It probably saves everything that is edited within 4 minutes as edited with an empty timestamp which corresponds to 1 January 1970.

The classic view just filtered that out and didn't actually display it but the reddit view does because of poor programming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
ateksJun 2, 2023 8:15 AM
Jun 2, 2023 8:46 AM
No.1 Rias Lover

Feb 2021
How to sign up broski
Jun 2, 2023 10:45 AM

Dec 2019
@Kineta

Yh finally an explanation is fair enough.

Is the quote button going to be removed soon?
will it stop working soon too?
Is it going to stop returning the BBCode on the quote too?

When will the impossibility to paste anything on non-source mode be fixed?

Jun 2, 2023 11:20 AM

Nov 2015
bruh this new update is annoying, no one asked for it

younger brothers of the death painting wombs,
lend me your strength!! fire!!
like Esou... I must fight with grace!
like Kechizu... I must fight freely!!
and like Yuji... I must fight with power!!!

deliveriescollectionreverie sonata
amazing set by ec secret snowman < 333
Jun 2, 2023 1:04 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Another thing is assuming that the last page of a thread with very few posts doesn't need the "new reply" button at the end (since it shows it only at the top of the that page)

If the few posts on that last page are hella long, good luck

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jun 2, 2023 1:20 PM

Jun 2019
hacker09 said:
@Kineta

Do you have an idea what might prevent pasting something on source mode? I have been unable to do so with a very simple message (that I have also tried to rewrite by hand to no avail), and others encountered a similar issue (see post #234 above).

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2097208

Edit: I have found the origin of this issue (see post #234 above).

Minimal working example:

MeusnierJun 2, 2023 2:16 PM
Jun 2, 2023 2:07 PM

Feb 2010
@Kineta

Can we please have it where the opening poster can 100% opt the thread out of conversation mode, and opting out also retains the traditional quote button?

This way if the thread is going to be a forum game then the OP can leave it classic and it won't get wrecked by conversation mode as some are concerned. And people who would prefer their threads use the traditional quote feature can also retain some control over their own creativity and user experience this way. Anime and manga discussions may naturally move towards conversation mode too as I think you intend and that won't impact other kinds of threads.

I believe that's much more in line with MAL's traditional way of doing things - the same as being able to choose between classic/modern list and classic/modern About Me.
Shishio-kunJun 2, 2023 2:18 PM
Jun 2, 2023 3:02 PM

Oct 2013
I'm not a fan of this idea. I really enjoy the classic forum experience, and I feel the change will neutralize this experience. What's more, it will turn this forum into something resembling more discussion pages on sites like Reddit, but without all other functionalities offered by said websites making their way of handling discussions actually logical. Not to forget about chaos that might be followed by this change (even if the new look will be something optional).

With so many better or worse suggestions posted on the Suggestions board, here we have a change that basically no one asked for, to solve problems that haven't existed up until now and were artificially created just to implement changes. To implement changes for the sake of implementing new stuff, it seems.
AdnashJun 2, 2023 9:00 PM
Jun 2, 2023 3:20 PM

Nov 2008
JustOscar said:
Quoting should be the default replying method. Mentions are chaos. Sorry, but I think this is a very bad idea. This should remain a forum and not become a chat.

This. Skimming through this thread at times felt like reading Discord chat logs. It appears to be copying Anilist/Reddit style. What next, upvotes?
And what if I want to quote multiple posts in mine? Will my reply appear in multiple threads simultaneously in this new mode? @Frostwork said it already, these 2 modes are innately incompatible. But I don't need to guess if MAL management will listen to feedback. Site needs to attract fresh blood and forum conversation structure is too confusing for younger generations who grew up with smartphone chat applications.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Jun 2, 2023 3:37 PM

Nov 2008
Kineta said:

The biggest issues that arose when trying to create these relationships on the existing forum data was, 1. the aforementioned plain-text quoting system, and 2. the existing forum culture of not double-posting when replying to multiple different posts. Where should a post that has multiple, separate quotes go to? Do we relate it to the first post that is quoted? Do we leave it at the first/parent level, but relate single-quoted posts back to their parents? There are pros and cons to every option.

This can be solved by adding to the reply along with the username a new BBCODE tag that features the ID of a message being replied to.
That's how 4pda.to forums do it - go take a look. This tag is called SNAPBACK and it renders as a small icon that links to the message of a user being mentioned. For example, pressing Reply under your first post in this thread would paste this raw code in the text box:
[SNAPBACK]69291553[/SNAPBACK] @Kineta

And then would appear like this:

Or you can make this tag invisible if you want. Your Conversation View renderer can look for this tag in messages and build conversation trees based on it.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Jun 2, 2023 4:42 PM

Dec 2019
MAL is really trying hard to become the next Roblox at this point. A company trying to become more and more corporate as it dishes out terrible update that no one asked for after terrible update that no one asked for and drives away its older (and even newer) users.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat anything-- this update is pure shit. The forums are just going to become unusable if this becomes implemented, as already shown by previous replies. If you guys want to get rid of the forums this badly, just tell us in an official announcement or something, not by putting in extra work to make them as unusable as possible. I get that it may be frustrating working on site updates and getting backlash from the users, but I think there's a point where these bad updates are no longer born from mods and devs' ignorance / not knowing what the people want and making a mistake, but rather from their incompetence. I doubt anyone (with a brain and care for the forums at least) wanted this update. If the devs could be so kind as to scrap this entire thing and dump it into the nearest landfill, it would be very much appreciated, both by new users and old users alike. Please don't turn the forums into a chat room. Thank you.
TheAngryNerdJun 2, 2023 4:46 PM
Jun 2, 2023 4:59 PM

Jun 2011
Adnash said:
With so many better or worse suggestions posted in the Suggestions board, here we have a change that basically no one asked for, to solve problems that haven't existed up until now and got artificially created just to implement changes. To implement changes for the sake of implementing new stuff, it seems.

It sounds like it is the mod circlejerk that pushed for this change, even though they don't even use the forum. They should discuss changes with the active users instead.
Jun 2, 2023 5:26 PM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Genoard said:
This can be solved by adding to the reply along with the username a new BBCODE tag that features the ID of a message being replied to.

This already exists. Quote a post and check the BBCode, it contains the message ID.
Jun 2, 2023 5:27 PM

Sep 2010
Narmy said:
Adnash said:
With so many better or worse suggestions posted in the Suggestions board, here we have a change that basically no one asked for, to solve problems that haven't existed up until now and got artificially created just to implement changes. To implement changes for the sake of implementing new stuff, it seems.

It sounds like it is the mod circlejerk that pushed for this change, even though they don't even use the forum. They should discuss changes with the active users instead.

Of course they like it, they probably got some new shiny moderation tools in the background. Also they don't need to edit multiple posts anymore if the rule violation was quoted by someone. Funny how the only mod who actually uses the forum didn't say anything about this change yet isn't it?
Jun 2, 2023 6:39 PM

Dec 2019
Meusnier said:
hacker09 said:
@Kineta

Do you have an idea what might prevent pasting something on source mode? I have been unable to do so with a very simple message (that I have also tried to rewrite by hand to no avail), and others encountered a similar issue (see post #234 above).

Regional connection issue preventing me from posting replies or comments

Minimal working example:

Yeap, their new website updates broke it, their jquery.js looks for patterns pasted and that does not work at all, so anything pasted breaks and shows an error log in the browser developer logs

I am not exactly sure which line of code is making it not work though, I haven't looked into it deeply yet, and even if I do I am not sure if I would find the exact line of code that is making it not work

@Kineta When will the impossibility to paste anything on non-source mode be fixed?

Jun 2, 2023 7:09 PM

Jun 2011
Frostwork said:
Do you even understand that how your forum functions is NOT why you're losing existing forum users and do not attract new ones? It's your fucked-up policies and your fucked-up "mods" (and their fucked-up "favourites"/buddies) and you know it. How about "making changes" about that first? Jesus-fucking-christ.

Yeah the restrictive forum rules are far more of a factor for losing users here.
Jun 2, 2023 7:57 PM

Jun 2019
hacker09 said:
Meusnier said:

Regional connection issue preventing me from posting replies or comments

Minimal working example:

Yeap, their new website updates broke it, their jquery.js looks for patterns pasted and that does not work at all, so anything pasted breaks and shows an error log in the browser developer logs

I am not exactly sure which line of code is making it not work though, I haven't looked into it deeply yet, and even if I do I am not sure if I would find the exact line of code that is making it not work

@Kineta When will the impossibility to paste anything on non-source mode be fixed?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Perhaps it was not clear due to the edit in my posts, but it seems that the problem I had was not due to copy pasting but to some unusual combinations of characters that create outstanding bugs; the simple sequence :

system [opening parenthesis] system [closing parenthesis]!

as in the screenshot above prevents one from posting or leads to the 403 ERROR page (in forums, profile comments or PMs):

On the other hand, sequences of the form "X (Y)!" do not seem to produce this bug in general.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Destinesia »»
23 minutes ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

200 by BasilZero »»
Yesterday, 5:27 PM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3341 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.