Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2010 9:07 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
wtf just happened?... He hates him b/c Goto understood his lonliness? Did Eri kill herself b/c of the hypnosis at the end there? shitty ending
STEEZMay 18, 2010 6:08 PM
May 29, 2010 8:59 PM

Oct 2007
I think it was more to show that his revenge would be to force him to live in loneliness by not being able to trust Eri.

I agree...very ambiguous ending.
Feb 5, 2012 5:08 AM

Aug 2010
Meh, stupid reason behind the story. Shitty ending indeed.
Feb 20, 2012 2:31 PM
Apr 2011
Animeguigas said:
Meh, stupid reason behind the story. Shitty ending indeed.

x2

I only liked the beginning.
Oct 28, 2012 7:00 PM

Jan 2012
Really? OMFG! That reason was sooooooooo emo/pointless...

¬¬

One of the worst endings so far...
Jan 22, 2013 12:12 AM
Feb 2012
I must be one of the few people out there who actually like the ending.
Apr 18, 2013 4:19 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I read this manga because of the movie. I have to say its one of the few adaptation that is superior to the original. Nevertheless the mana is brilliant in its own right, but is let down by a weak ending.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 2, 2014 4:03 PM

May 2008
I enjoyed the manga overall, but the ending kinda disappointing. I mean, really, it started really good and with so much mystery, but then the reason behind all that just because Otto cried when he heard his voice -_-"

8/10
May 20, 2014 4:51 PM

Jun 2010
Kinda dissapointing end, I'm guessing that song has the password in it somewhere?
Mar 15, 2015 6:18 PM

Aug 2013
Such a lame ending, I'm disappointed indeed.

On the other hand it's unbelievable, how could the Korean people change the script that much? Even though I didn't like the ending there either, I must admit the outcome of the movie was much more satisfying.
May 19, 2015 8:21 AM

Feb 2012
overall i enjoyed this, and the reasoning of the ending isn't what i had a problem with but more so the execution..

who committed suicide at the end? thought it was eri until she was in the next panel. did he wake up from the dream of her committing suicide? and i don't get what the "that war isn't over yet" is referring to. also wondering about the hypnosis.. guess i should have expected some ambiguity and loose ends when going into this.
Jan 6, 2016 8:12 AM

May 2015
I think this is the first time where I thought the film was better than the source material.
Jun 28, 2016 11:11 PM

Feb 2013
Kinda fast for the ending, but it was alright. BTW to the epilogue, so did the detective not get the info from the woman who knew Eri's passkey? I'd liked more info on that, but whatevz. Also not a fan of the hypnosis and "truth serum" addition in this manga, got needlessly supernatural-ish

STEEZ said:
wtf just happened?... He hates him b/c Goto understood his lonliness? Did Eri kill herself b/c of the hypnosis at the end there? shitty ending

More the opposite. Goto cried to Kakinuma while not actually understanding why he was crying, all he could deliberate was he was "moved". Kakinuma knew Goto couldn't possibly understand and took the unconscious pity as an insult to everything he is. So, he chose to lock Goto up for 10 years so that he'd understand - after not being able to satisfy himself in a lavish lifestyle of after-school success, his school lonesome years affecting him to this day.
BlokeTokesJun 28, 2016 11:14 PM
Jun 28, 2016 11:18 PM

Feb 2013
manasteel88 said:
I think it was more to show that his revenge would be to force him to live in loneliness by not being able to trust Eri.

That would've been a much better epilogue ending, but it showed more clearly that his worries were Eri would die through her hypnosis. So it'd give Goto paranoia to her safety more than his. If it was paranoia for his own safety though and it showed Goto being a little cautious around her, that'd be an awesome ending. You should've told him
Jun 26, 2017 9:24 AM

Aug 2014
I guess Dojima's secretary was the one who committed the suicide. Because she was the one who hypnotized Eri and maybe that's why she killed herself out of her duty. We don't see her in the end card too, but then we also don't see the teacher.
Dec 4, 2017 12:26 PM
Feb 2014
Honestly that was a dumb ending. I enjoyed both the manga and the movie. Have watched the movie first the ending mind screwed me but this ending felt so unsatisfying and empty.
Dokia
Dec 24, 2017 4:05 AM
Jun 2015
Cookiestroke said:
I guess Dojima's secretary was the one who committed the suicide. Because she was the one who hypnotized Eri and maybe that's why she killed herself out of her duty. We don't see her in the end card too, but then we also don't see the teacher.

I think it was just a nightmare and no one committed suicide, I think Goto just has doubts about not discovering what happened in the 5 mins where Eri was hypnotised and this will haunt him for the rest of his life by not knowing if there is something that still rooted in her
Oct 9, 2018 6:46 AM

Oct 2015
Damn. What happened? The buildup was there but the motive was weak as fuck. I get the reason but it just feels really shallow for me. Not to mention the hypnosis bullshit which completely lost me. Time to watch the live action.

Edit: You know what, after thinking about it after watching the live action. I think there's a lot more meaning to this ending than the one in the movie. Both were pretty good but you know what? I'd go with the more philosophical ending. Nothing much on the line on the manga compared to the movie but there's just some things I like more here and vice versa.
EGOISTOct 18, 2018 5:09 AM
Dec 6, 2018 9:20 AM
Dec 2018
Eri didn't commit suicide. I think Goto was dreaming. They show him waking up startled to find Eri next to him.

Maybe Kakinuma was shaken by how a person,Goto, with similar disturbed psychology as him could still have emotions(Goto cried for Kakinuma's song).

Moreover Kakinuma had shut himself to people. He thought people were mean. But when Goto cried for Kakinuma, Kakinuma felt understood for the first time. This shook his long founded belief in the heartlessness of human beings. The long suppressed desire to be loved may have risen up again. And this revival of emotions disturbed Kakinuma.

Kakinuma resented being a lonely man who was never understood by a friend. Maybe this was his biggest regret, deep inside, despite having all wealth and material success.

Kakinuma killed himself because his life was worthless to him without that basic humane trait of feeling emotions. Seeing Goto regain feelings even after 10 years of incarceration distubed Kakinuma further. Because Kakinuma couldn't ever feel. And Goto was pretty sane and human even after 10 years of isolation.
Jan 12, 2019 8:21 AM

Feb 2017
Good first half, terrible second half
Oct 29, 2019 4:06 PM
Jul 2018
A complete and utter let down. I enjoyed the film and was expecting the manga to blow it out of the water. Weak and nonsensical.
Jun 6, 2020 12:35 PM

May 2010
Was it axed? I thought he talk more about the reason.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 3, 2023 12:34 AM
Aug 2013
Yea, Eri didn't commit suicide, there's the shadowy figure we see falling off the building, and the very next panel is Goto sitting upright after having dreamt that happening.

The ending was shit, story was asinine.  I read this because I loved the movie so much, and this was just a waste of time.  They never said what the extra hypnosis was about; Dojima was lonely or some shit so he locked Goto up so he'd be lonely?  

I think the hypnosis reveal was actually supposed to be a mind-blowing twist in the story, but it doesn't even come close to the twist in the movie.  

Short version - this was shite, watch the movie, feel better.
Feb 15, 4:42 AM

Oct 2020
We had to find out what was done to Eri's mind in that five-minute gap. Dojima will continue to disturb our main character's sleep.

More topics from this board

» Did eri cheat chapter 76

iancaldwell - Oct 16, 2021

1 by doopo »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:51 AM

» Has Anyone Seen The Movie?

Mizilla - Oct 1, 2010

10 by Touch_Me-sama »»
Jul 10, 2021 8:36 AM

» Is A Town In Bloom a real song?

Tony2Phones - Jul 24, 2014

2 by Tony2Phones »»
Apr 27, 2018 2:43 PM

Poll: » Old Boy Chapter 1 Discussion

Rasco - Oct 22, 2011

4 by bleachsai »»
Dec 9, 2014 9:06 AM

Poll: » Old Boy Chapter 52 Discussion

ricardocsc - Oct 26, 2012

2 by MaceTheDon »»
May 20, 2014 2:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.