Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 1, 2023 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
Thorfinn is a determined and prideful man so I'm not too surprised by his decision to fight.

Looks like Gardar got captured and seems like the inevitable. He was never going to truly escape from his fate. I do love how this anime embraces on its revenge themes though. A lot of emotions still running high and we got some brutal action to the mix too. Imo, this episode again highlights the reality and harshness of their world.

Jun 2019
Damn... that was something. The fight between Thorfinn and Snake was amazing. Both of them judging each other like that and then the emotional moments later in the episode hit like  damn truck. It's just so sad to see all of this unfolding in such a way. You can't even blame Snake for feeling this way.

Arnheid is so damn unlucky. She can never have a moment of happiness in this show. Poor girl. It was so fucking emotional. Everything about this episode. The anime original scenes made this episode 100x more painful to watch. I was bawling my eyes out for some reason. I feel so bad for Gardar as well. He never got to see or know about Hjalti. T_T. Everything about this show is so beautiful. Hardest I ever cried during this show. RIP Gardar.

I have no words... A masterpiece. Wow!!!

May 2020
Sure the face-off between Thorfinn and Snake was hype, and the more they fought, the more they realized the capabilities of each other. But this wasn’t just that, it was more about letting Gardar and Arnheid escape with their freedom rather than some mindless bloodbath. And so when Snake saw the opportunity, he stabbed Gardar without a second thought, the course of action he saw the most favourable.  

That did cease the fight, but not Gardar’s motivations of going back home with his wife. The moment he saw the opening, he literally rose from the grave and choked Snake, which did in turn let him and Arnheid spend some final moments together. Travelling alone on the carriage, the couple, with Gardar on his last breaths, with all the reminiscence.. it’s that original content we deserved and they needed. 

So many emotions, and with that Gardar died. Arnheid, once again, is all alone in this world. Ah man, how is Vinland Saga even giving these episodes of highest quality every week.

Though words can’t describe just how brutal the next episode is going to be, and all of those following that.
May 1, 2023 9:55 AM
May 2021
Damn what a sad ep :( poor Arnheid
May 1, 2023 9:56 AM

Jan 2019
Wow, just wow... They made a tragic story even more tragic.
Gardar reflected on everything, his life and what could have been his life flashed before his eyes. In that, he found peace and resolve.
This is what "Honor and wealth" can lead to, fallen men like him.
Amazing.
May 1, 2023 9:59 AM

Jul 2017
Thorfinn vs. Snake's confrontation is a magnificent sight to behold: the fight between two strong and skilled men. But eventually, Snake has Gardar within his sights, and despite Arnheid, Thorfinn and his Gramps's plea, Snake cannot turn a blind eye to this, and proceeds to stab him till his death.

With Gardar dead, there is no one else to avenge, but it's not like the criminal is dead at least, which he tries to strangle Snake out of spite to his death. Without hope, Arnheid begs her husband to bear it all down and leave with her, back to their home with their son Hjalti, which he is actually well and fine with his brother in Birka. Loaning Sverkel's cart to ride their journey back home, Arnheid know that her own husband is on his last legs but proceeds out just as if he was alive and well, while said criminal, knowing that he'd witness his past life flashing through the cold wind, from the moment of their son's first birth, to taking care of him with bountiful joy and pain of child-bearing before he got sold to slavery, the 5 years that he lost while taking care of his son, he's determined not to let Hjalti fall into the same fate as he did.

The worst of all, taking a rest in the arms of his own wife, till the time of his passing, being promised of a fruitful life that he seen himself be promised only to be sprawled down the slippery slope of a downfall, Gardar is dead, leaving Arnheid and her only son alone, once again. The hope of both father and son seeing each other in Heaven, that's all he's to ever say that he can call home.

So much emotions, of a life that could have been fruitful, only to be slain through slavery. RIP Gardar.
May 1, 2023 10:03 AM

Oct 2017
MAPPA truly made Gardar's death more impactful with all that anime original content; in the manga he just dies five pages after attempting to strangle Snake but it certainly is highly unrealistic for a person to survive for that long with such severe injuries.
InspectorLungeMay 1, 2023 10:15 AM
May 1, 2023 10:05 AM
Dec 2015
bardzo dobre anime, jedno z moich ulubionych
May 1, 2023 10:06 AM
Oct 2022
wow, this was definitely one of vinland's best episodes
May 1, 2023 10:06 AM

Feb 2013
This was the first episode that I didn't like that much. I don't think they needed to dedicate a whole episode to some guys death that we just met. It felt a bit like filler. Was this even in the manga? OH well I'm sure things will become great again next week. The initial fight scene was amazing too.
May 1, 2023 10:10 AM
Sep 2020
the episode was fucking bad i love every second till this episode came
May 1, 2023 10:12 AM
Dec 2021
Best episode in the whole anime considering both seasons. it's incredible that the best episode features two secondary characters and their side history. 
I have a soft spot for secondary characters stealing the show, reminded me of Komugi from HxH and Hoshino from kageki shoujo.

You can tell mangaka is a father and a family man too!

10/10

AnimeIs4KidzMay 1, 2023 10:23 AM
May 1, 2023 10:14 AM
Mar 2019
Yes, the last episodes adapted around 2 chapters and the 17th episode, this one, only adapts 1 chapter.
May 1, 2023 10:19 AM

Jan 2009
rest in peace Gardar holy shit he has a lot of willpower to still live long despite those fatal injuries
May 1, 2023 10:19 AM

Jul 2014
It felt a *bit* stretched out, honestly it's sorta weird that they didn't show her son dying in the anime if they were gonna expand on his death a bit more,  I guess also there was not enough time to adapt any significant plotline in the 5 minutes or so remaining.

The visuals though were amazing again, that scene focusing on the grass, holy the level of detail was phenomenal. 
May 1, 2023 10:22 AM

Jun 2014
Wow. I have no words. Just a heartbreaking episode. Those who are saying this wasn't a good episode, please pass some of whatever you're smoking. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 1, 2023 10:27 AM
Oct 2016
Idk if I've ever cried that much watching an anime episode, and I've cried during a lot of them. But seeing Gardar go home to his son as he died, that's just too painful for a normal amount of tears. Hjalti sitting on the swing then having the biggest smile on his face seeing his dad walk up, that was pain and relief all wrapped into one. The moment when Gardar saw the choice he made that caused their family to be torn apart broke me just as badly. Its hard to fathom why anyone would have the will to live on in such a cruel world. If things were really like this back around the turn of the first millennium I applaud everyone who somehow didn't go crazy or break down from all the pain they had to have suffered. Gardar went through so much because of that one choice he made.

The entire cart ride away from the farm tore my heart out. With the most beautiful piano playing as always in this show. It was basically one giant lesson to Gardar about the wrong choices he made. Those flashbacks to their early family life reminding him of what he left behind. We see even as soon as his son is born Gardar wants to gain honor and wealth to pass on. Instead of enjoying the happiness right in front of him. Its the ultimate shame that Gardar couldn't recognize his folly until his last breaths. Going off adventuring for honor and wealth is pointless, you will only lose what you already have and accumulate nothing but pain in the process. An absolute tour de force episode including the Thorfinn versus Snake fight at the beginning. But Gardar finally drifting off sent this episode into the stratosphere.
May 1, 2023 10:28 AM

Nov 2016
Winland Saga strikes again. We kicked off with the electrifying clash between Thorfinn and Snake followed by a feels trip deluxe.

Gardar was one hell of a tough bastard. Crazy what happens when a man who cares for his family so much is pushed past his limits. His body seemed already dead yet his spirit wasn't. Even if he made he mistake, his life took a most tragic turn. RIP. I feel like the anime did a lot with the scene of him passing away. Imo it's right there with Björn's death as Vinland Saga at it's most tearjerking. "Reuiniting with Hjalty" added a bittersweet touch. Was that anime original again? Can't remember that from the manga. If yes it's another nice addition. Just checked it and all the Hjalti moments were indeed anime original. I guess fans who were complaining about lack of sublety at the beginning of the reason won't be happy about this too, as it's laying it on thicker than the source material usually does.

Mad props to Arneis for staying strong all this time. She knew it was hopeless. That's what I call ride or die till the very end 🙏🏻
FMmatronMay 1, 2023 10:54 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 1, 2023 10:28 AM
Aug 2022
It just sad to see how humans are.
May 1, 2023 10:31 AM

Mar 2016
Thorfinn is a little bit rusted, but still has it. Gardar was a man full of regrets, on his way to meet again with his lost son. I feel so bad for Arnheid, she has been through a lot and has more to come, she, Einar and Thorfinn will have to face the consequences of their actions, and I haven't forget Canute is on the way. Next episodes will be a wild ride.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

May 1, 2023 10:32 AM

Feb 2012
I wondered how they would do justice to this flight between the two dynamic fighters. My favourite moment in the first half was the split screen when Snake and Thorfinn wonders how the other ended up in this place despite their skill.

Nice of the anime staff to give us a hint of Snake's origin and explore more of how life was for Arnheid, Gardar and Hjalti before slavery, and then they topped it off with his extended visions of regret and reminiscing.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 1, 2023 10:39 AM
Nov 2022
this really has been the best and most emotional ep from the series so far, also if the ending scene points to the fact that Halti's dead as in the new Gardar's home that only multiplies the emotional load
May 1, 2023 10:40 AM
Nov 2022
this really has been the best and most emotional ep from the series so far, also if the ending scene points to the fact that Halti's dead as in the new Gardar's home that only multiplies the emotional load
May 1, 2023 10:43 AM

Aug 2018
There's nothing better than an episode of Vinland Saga to cheer you up.
May 1, 2023 10:45 AM

Aug 2015
bittersweet, it was an episode of massive sadness yet also some happiness in the ending 
May 1, 2023 10:49 AM
Sep 2022
“What kind of monsters surrounded you?”
May 1, 2023 10:52 AM

Sep 2019
What I got from the episode and this part of the arc was to be grateful for what you have as you could lose it in an instant. Cherish the people you care about over everything.
May 1, 2023 10:57 AM

Apr 2013
Snake vs Thorfinn was a fun duel to watch animated as expected, and MAPPA definitely improved upon Yukimura's work with the anime original scenes in the 2nd half to make Gardar & Arnheid's story more impactful. The pacing required to make these moments hit is not easy to manage and, even though it dragged a little bit, I don't think any other director & team outside of Yabuta's could give these moments justice.

Without getting into spoilers, next week's episode is probably the one episode from this season I'm the least hyped about and it's not because the content itself is bad. Thinking about a specific upcoming scene is already giving me anxiety. This arc and adaptation is just so good.
May 1, 2023 10:58 AM
May 2019
This was probably the saddest episode I've seen so far 
May 1, 2023 10:58 AM
May 2018
That episode really hit hard. Gardar imagining himself returning to his son, with the piano in the background, got me crying🥲
May 1, 2023 11:00 AM
Apr 2013
Got to be one of, if not the worst episode so far. They took like 5 pages from the manga and stretched it into almost 20 minute flashback sequence with that annoying piano going on the entire time. While good, the farm arc is already slow paced, there’s absolutely no need to slow it down even further.
May 1, 2023 11:01 AM

Apr 2014
The symbolism at the end with Gardar and Hjalti and the beautiful piano OST, it was emotional as hell. The fight between Snake and Thorfinn was short, but intense.
May 1, 2023 11:06 AM

May 2018
10/10 masterpiece trying to hold in my tears was difficult 🖤😢
May 1, 2023 11:09 AM

Sep 2020
How many time I have to cry this season 😭 ???
May 1, 2023 11:10 AM
Oct 2012
2 min fight only ffs? and 1 whole episode dedicated to the death of someone who they just introduced in the story...
May 1, 2023 11:11 AM

Jun 2017
I have no words...
May 1, 2023 11:12 AM

Apr 2018
What an episode. The choreography of the fight was just excellent. Smooth camera movements to make it even better. Snake managed to win against Thorfinn in a mind battle though. He got closer to Gardar while Thorfinn lost his place. That stab was fatal, but Gardar is literally just a beast for being able to move and choke Snake.
And then, it's just a peaceful but incredibly tragic reunion which won't last long. Oh boy, that was actually heartbreaking..

Next episode seems tough for Thorfinn and Einar.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 1, 2023 11:12 AM
Mar 2022
This episode was fucking fire. the choreography was amazing and had me hype asf. vinland saga is cooking
May 1, 2023 11:15 AM

Jun 2013
Bergioyn said:
Got to be one of, if not the worst episode so far. They took like 5 pages from the manga and stretched it into almost 20 minute flashback sequence with that annoying piano going on the entire time. While good, the farm arc is already slow paced, there’s absolutely no need to slow it down even further.

What a bad opinion.
May 1, 2023 11:17 AM

Feb 2014
Considering that he hasn't been in a full-on fight in a long time, Thorfinn matched snake toe-to-toe, even though he was completely unarmed. Some of the ways that both of them observed each other and made their attacks and evasions work out looked great. Sadly, Snake was able to get the area advantage and after his outburst which hints of his own troubles as a deserter, he proceeded to deal a mortal blow to Gardar.

Despite that, however, when Snake's back was turned, Gardar used the element of surprise and was able to knock out Snake with a chokehold. Only Arnheid's words were enough to snap him out of his berserk rage and get him back to normal. With the blessing of Sverkel, he and Arnheid went off with the horse and cart, which led to a long and sad scene of him slowly bleeding to death, reflecting on his life, from the good choices to the bad ones, both in the past and present, as well as one more vision of him finally meeting his own son, Hjalti, before he finally breathed his last breath, but not before uttering the words "I'm home".

I can understand that this scene was long and, for some, maybe a bit too dragged out, but it felt better this way, as it ends the episode on a perfect and emotional note. ='(

The preview of the next episode gives off the "Shit hits the fan" moment. I have my guesses for what will happen next, but I'll keep it to myself just to be on the safe side.
May 1, 2023 11:21 AM
Mar 2015
RIP Gardar you chose badly
May 1, 2023 11:22 AM

Dec 2021
It's been a while, I have watched something so ineffably sublime

The fact that they were able to make such an insignificant minor character so engrossing that even 90% Shounen Protagonists look like Subaru or Eren , it assures me that maybe MAPPA will be befitting for remake of Tokyo Ghoul

Ample Seinen Anime are getting traction this season and they all deserve it more than the abomination called Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer and even Hell's Paradise which is just an ersatz of Made in Abyss
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
May 1, 2023 11:24 AM

Sep 2020
Faxtual_Ghoul said:

The fact that they were able to make such an insignificant minor character so engrossing that even 90% Shounen Protagonists look like Subaru or Eren , it assures me that maybe MAPPA will be befitting for remake of Tokyo Ghoul

Ample Seinen Anime are getting traction this season and they all deserve it more than the abomination called Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer and even Hell's Paradise which is just an ersatz of Made in Abyss
Respect Attack on Titan dude.
May 1, 2023 11:27 AM
Mar 2023
Faxtual_Ghoul said:

bro really said attack on titan
May 1, 2023 11:28 AM
Mar 2023
Very sad life. Very calm and peacefull episode.
May 1, 2023 11:28 AM

Oct 2019
wow......... I'm speechless, the episode started great, but that whole second half was just.... wow....

I cried, and I didn't even care about him until this episode....

I can't believe an episode mostly about a character that had this little screen time, was so good that I am second guessing oath being the best episode this season. absolutely godly episode. 10/10.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 1, 2023 11:32 AM
Dec 2015
This was a good episode but not the best. I think they spent a little too much time with Garder and Arnheild. But then again thats what I think of this season as a whole, still good but fails to capture the moments season 1 did.
Aug 2021
Pyoung said:
This was the first episode that I didn't like that much. I don't think they needed to dedicate a whole episode to some guys death that we just met. It felt a bit like filler. Was this even in the manga? OH well I'm sure things will become great again next week. The initial fight scene was amazing too.

go watch some shounen kid ☠️
Dec 2016
My god what a good show. I did not expect the emotional depth that this show reaches.

Jul 2009
My level of sympathy for Snake is less than zero. I honestly want to like the man but his stubbornness and that tantrum about his men was just beyond selfish. Your men's lives aren't and weren't worth shit. Most if not all of them were cruel, careless and idiotic. They deserved what they got.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Would u like this?

DerpySven - Apr 21

26 by Spoopy69 »»
Yesterday, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

485 by carmansp »»
Apr 22, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2023

374 by flyswatter »»
Apr 21, 1:55 PM

» About Ketil...

th3sleeper - Apr 20

6 by BipulGamer07 »»
Apr 20, 5:15 PM

Poll: » Do you consider Vinland Saga a masterpiece?

MillerEvans23 - Apr 17

19 by MillerEvans23 »»
Apr 17, 8:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.