Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 22, 2023 7:57 AM
Apr 2023
Today i watched makoto shinkai's suzume no tojimari and the first question came in my mind was can't this guy make something new??
In his all movies random guy meet random girl,they fall in love,disaster,put radwimps ost & super natural being,the end.this is makoto shinkai for u.
I feel like everytime his movies are saved by it’s amazing visuals & soothing songs,not for the story plot.I didn’t rate the movie low bcz u can't say the movie itself is just trash.I just want to Point that why the same formula in all movies..Let's try or create something new dude...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 22, 2023 8:30 AM
Dec 2021
CoffeewithEdgawa said:
Today i watched makoto shinkai's suzume no tojimari and the first question came in my mind was can't this guy make something new??
In his all movies random guy meet random girl,they fall in love,disaster,put radwimps ost & super natural being,the end.this is makoto shinkai for u.
I feel like everytime his movies are saved by it’s amazing visuals & soothing songs,not for the story plot.I didn’t rate the movie low bcz u can't say the movie itself is just trash.I just want to Point that why the same formula in all movies..Let's try or create something new dude...

i agree to some extent, but i feel like they all have enough of a unique touch in their concepts that allows them to stand appart from the others
Apr 22, 2023 8:42 AM

Dec 2016
I can totally agree with that. I really loved that movie, the visuals are amazing, the music is great, the voice acting is great too, the only thing that bothers me is that Suzume can be summarized the same way Your Name and Weathering With You can be, just change some keywords.
It's not even that the story is bad, it's just that we've already seen it like at least two times before.
Apr 22, 2023 8:42 AM
Jul 2021
You did a big mistake by making this thread because the Makoto shinkai fanboys can't face reality and now they are gonna chew you out.
Apr 22, 2023 9:03 AM
Apr 2023
Deku251 said:
I can totally agree with that. I really loved that movie, the visuals are amazing, the music is great, the voice acting is great too, the only thing that bothers me is that Suzume can be summarized the same way Your Name and Weathering With You can be, just change some keywords.
It's not even that the story is bad, it's just that we've already seen it like at least two times before.

That's what i wanted to say..
Apr 22, 2023 9:07 AM
Nov 2020
Dude, the formula change but for the worse. Remember when his movies are just characters driven story with great visual and cinematography. Now it just looks nice and the story just revolve around some dump ass natural disaster with boring ass characters
Apr 22, 2023 9:16 AM
Aug 2020
I’m also getting tired of the natural disaster shit that shinkai is making. I mean it is important and relatable to the Japanese, but it’s getting old.
Apr 22, 2023 9:32 AM
Nov 2019
SodaPop0912 said:
I’m also getting tired of the natural disaster shit that shinkai is making. I mean it is important and relatable to the Japanese, but it’s getting old.

imagine saying something like this, you’re getting tired of a screenwriter who lives in japan making movies that draw attention to and memorialize natural disasters that happen in japan…
Apr 22, 2023 9:41 AM

Mar 2015
it's a pretty damn good formula
Apr 22, 2023 9:44 AM
Aug 2020
monkkey said:
SodaPop0912 said:

imagine saying something like this, you’re getting tired of a screenwriter who lives in japan making movies that draw attention to and memorialize natural disasters that happen in japan…

Plot twist, I’m Japanese, the main audience for these kinda movies. I’m sure you haven’t seen the tragic images of 3/11 and didn’t recognize the boat that was stranded on top of a roof
SodaPop0912Apr 22, 2023 9:50 AM
Apr 22, 2023 9:48 AM
Aug 2020
CoffeewithEdgawa said:

I respectfully disagree. While he does make similar movies (there's no doubt that that's a warranted criticism), this one was quite different in it's theming. I would even argue the whole romance aspect actually takes a backseat, and is his best work yet. Not only is it an ode to ghibli in its numerous references and stylistic choice, but to some of his previous films as well, with all these aspects lending well to the themes of courage, recognizing the past, and overcoming it/building something new. And that's exactly what I think he did: create a movie that's a love letter to the past, while doing it distinctly his way. Personally, this hit particularly close in its use of the 2011 earthquake (also with reference to the great Kanto earthquake) mixed in with shinkai's usual supernatural visuals. I still remember phoning my family the day of to see if they were safe as I watched events unfold on tv. That aside, the visuals were beautiful as always, and everything else was pretty good too (besides maybe the characters not being so strong).
haruosh8Apr 22, 2023 12:26 PM
Apr 22, 2023 9:48 AM

Jan 2021
You are expecting waaaaay too much from Makoto Shinkai if you think he can do something new.
Apr 22, 2023 9:49 AM
Nov 2019
SodaPop0912 said:
monkkey said:

Plot twist, I’m Japanese

that has nothing to do with it, Shinkai is obviously passionate about this type of work. Were you or your loved ones affected by these disasters? if so, is this movie really so bad that you’re getting tired of movies being made with actual purpose and meaning behind them that draw to the real world and that many people can relate to?
Apr 22, 2023 10:10 AM
Feb 2022
hard disagree. the formula works. yeah something new would be nice, but that doesn’t mean this is bad. it’s pretty funny, the characters are decent, and the songs and animations are pleasant to look at. it has an emotional hook, all the things you need for a good story. especially in the realms of anime and movies, it does stand out as high-quality.

let loose, it’s not that serious. stories are made for people, and this movie felt very essentially human. not everything needs to be judged, some should just be enjoyed. if you’re tired of him, stop watching his movies, pick a different genre. it’s not that hard.
Apr 22, 2023 11:10 AM
Feb 2016
If you think about it that way, there really isn't anything new If you break stuff down to the fundamentals of a story. I do agree his last 3 films have been kinda the same. So much so that they just smush together in my brain.
Apr 22, 2023 11:11 AM
Apr 2022
the only other film Ive watched from him was Your Name and I had literal deja vu watching this

however saying that I actually enjoyed this one
Apr 22, 2023 11:13 AM

Apr 2020
Eh, I haven't watched any Makoto Shinkai movie, so I can't comment on that.
What I do know is that he's making a lot of money with these latest movies. Why the hell would he change such a good money making formula? Do you not enjoy getting good money for your work?
Maybe he'll try something new (I guess, like I said, I haven't watched his movies) when his latest movie doesn't immediately explode, but who knows?
Apr 22, 2023 11:32 AM
Dec 2021
CoffeewithEdgawa said:

Have you thought that his movies maybeeee aren’t for you ? If you are complaining a lot, there’s a problem on it. I’m gonna tell you the obvious thing: He chose the genre soft drama/romance to be his main theme, so maybe just maybe the latest movies are about this. Instead of complaining about the obvious thing that you refused to accept, use your time to watch the genre you like. Also, his target audience are teenagers and young adults( sometimes ppl change their taste when they grew up)
Apr 22, 2023 1:13 PM
May 2008
This post is nothing but a cheap attempt at provoking people to a fight and starting arguments. Easiest report of my life.
Apr 22, 2023 2:21 PM
Aug 2020
monkkey said:
SodaPop0912 said:

Plot twist, I’m Japanese

that has nothing to do with it, Shinkai is obviously passionate about this type of work. Were you or your loved ones affected by these disasters? if so, is this movie really so bad that you’re getting tired of movies being made with actual purpose and meaning behind them that draw to the real world and that many people can relate to?

Stop coming up with shit i didn’t say. Memorializing the disaster isn’t a bad thing, but making a cheesy action-romance movie out of it is what boils my blood. Imagine someone made a movie about the Ukraine war and made it a cheesy cash grab bullshit. I’m sure most people would be offended. You clearly haven’t experienced or seen the aftermath of the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami if you’re not disturbed by this movie.
Apr 22, 2023 3:57 PM
Dec 2019
1. yeah his main genre is romance, BUT pls watch his other movies other than Your Name, Weathering with You and Suzume and you'll see it's not always about natural disasters
2. If this formula works and most of the people like those type of movies then should he change this? No one is expecting him to create a complex story that will blow our minds
AyatoKirisApr 22, 2023 4:01 PM

Apr 22, 2023 4:05 PM
Feb 2020
Did you consider the themes and tone? Once you get beyond "blue, radwimps, romance" they're all pretty different.
Apr 22, 2023 4:24 PM
May 2008
SodaPop0912 said:
monkkey said:

Stop coming up with shit i didn’t say. Memorializing the disaster isn’t a bad thing, but making a cheesy action-romance movie out of it is what boils my blood. Imagine someone made a movie about the Ukraine war and made it a cheesy cash grab bullshit. I’m sure most people would be offended. You clearly haven’t experienced or seen the aftermath of the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami if you’re not disturbed by this movie.

To be fair this is kinda a hypocritical take.
For example, I see you enjoyed Suzumiya Haruhi, which flat out uses sexual assault and harassement as a comic relief(or plot device). So you clearly haven't experienced such things in any way like it happened to you or any of your friends/family members.

You should let people enjoy things.
UTMANApr 22, 2023 4:42 PM
Apr 22, 2023 4:55 PM
Dec 2021
CoffeewithEdgawa said:

I disagree with this point that I've heard a lot. Yes, all of his movies are about a boy and girl meeting with a supernatural twist, but that doesn't make them the same. The way the romance develops in this movies is always different. In your name the fall in love with even realizing it and end up falling out of love whenever they forget each other and in weathering with you, they are constantly talking to each other directly unlike in your name where they have to love each other while being at a distance and in suzume where the characters don't ever really talk about their personal feelings and when the male character is gone for a good portion of the movie. His movies may be supernatural romances, but he changes this one concept in all of his movies
Apr 22, 2023 6:05 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
I don't understand why all these Makoto Shinkai fans are getting butthurt over an opinion on the internet and acting like you can't enjoy something because someone else doesn't like it.

The movie wasn't that good. The romance was bland, the story was iffy, the characters were all bland and not much can be said about them (Name 3 things about them that you can't infer just by looking at them) and it was saved by the audio and visuals. I wish I had a skip button in the theaters to get past certain boring parts of it.

And I can see why Makoto Shinkai fans are resorting to insults for the most part since they can't even defend the movie they like without them. I really do wish he would make something new or someone else would make a better movie with those same nice visuals and soundtrack.

Oh well.
Apr 22, 2023 6:32 PM
Oct 2020
Although some of his previous works were pretty good. This just wasn't it and idk why are y'all mad at this guy's opinion. Just cause y'all like something doesn't mean everybody will.
Apr 22, 2023 7:27 PM

Aug 2012
I think Makoto isnt good with story at all.
The visuals are neat but the story for Suzume was god awful and made zero sense
Apr 22, 2023 9:19 PM
Jun 2021
It was new. This time she has to go inside a door to save his lover from curse of gods.
Apr 22, 2023 9:41 PM
Apr 2023
CometZ10 said:
It was new. This time she has to go inside a door to save his lover from curse of gods.

Her lover went to save the people and the god cursed him for that..😂 lol what a plot!!
Apr 22, 2023 9:50 PM
Aug 2021
I don’t think you understand him then. Format may be the same but the deeper meaning and themes and story of his movies are completely different and incredibly original and creative. I’m not even a fan boy. I’m a movie and tv show critic who loves to analyze these things and his movies are pretty genius
Apr 22, 2023 9:57 PM
Jun 2021
CoffeewithEdgawa said:
CometZ10 said:

Her lover went to save the people and the god cursed him for that..😂 lol what a plot!!

Of course because god is evil. God wants to kill people but they are getting in the way. So, god cursed them.
Apr 23, 2023 12:57 AM
May 2020
CoffeewithEdgawa said:

I totally agree with you
Apr 23, 2023 6:22 AM
Mar 2022
I don't get what's the big deal. Like LITERALLY WHAT IS THE PROBLEM IF MAKITO SHINKAI'S MOVIES ARE LOWKEY SIMILAR. I LOVE THAT SHIT BRUH. There's always gonna be dumb people who just can't enjoy stuff without being nitpicky I guess. It isn't even like Makito shinkai is out there claiming OOOOH LOOK AT THIS NEW MOVIE AND THE TRAILER , ITS DEFINITELY A NEW STORY ! If it wasn't already clear that the movie was gonna be similar to the previous two, (which I think are set in the same universe and that kinda justifies the similar plot), that's a you problem.
MuggleBornKingApr 23, 2023 6:28 AM
Apr 23, 2023 6:25 AM
May 2021
CoffeewithEdgawa said:

Ya i can agree with it
Apr 23, 2023 7:15 AM
Dec 2019
My favourite shinkai movies are still "5 cm per second" and "garden of words". I just prefer the down to earth, realistic stories with those beautiful visuals rather than the more full blown fantasy movies he has been putting out lately. Even Your Name was not too heavy on its fantasy element, but tenki no ko crossed the limit and Suzume seems to be even more leaned in fantasy.
Apr 23, 2023 10:23 AM

Jan 2021
I didn’t think he fell in love with her?? I thought she fell in love with him but that he was just trying to be nice and not hurt her feelings. All he did at the end was hug her?

(I watched in dub tho so maybe something was changed)
Apr 23, 2023 10:38 AM
Apr 2023
FreshWaters said:
I didn’t think he fell in love with her?? I thought she fell in love with him but that he was just trying to be nice and not hurt her feelings. All he did at the end was hug her?

u are correct....
Apr 23, 2023 12:03 PM
Jul 2021
CoffeewithEdgawa said:

Personally, I took it as his movie aesthetic/ style because it is used in all his movies.
Apr 23, 2023 12:46 PM

Jan 2021
CoffeewithEdgawa said:
FreshWaters said:

u are correct....

That’s a relief then, the OP’s “they fall in love” part had me worried for a second 😭 like it better not be anything other than unrequited love ffs 🤣
Apr 23, 2023 1:14 PM

Feb 2018
Around $300 million box office so far. For using the same forumla, this movie is doing fantastic, another big win for Shinkai. 

If it isn't broken then no need to fix it. 
Apr 23, 2023 1:21 PM
Oct 2018
CoffeewithEdgawa said:

The plot of the movie is not anything extraordinary but it was still pretty good. Specially the ending twist. As for the similarities between all his movies, I kind of agree. This same formula will not be able to reach the heights of 'your name' ever again and it's indeed time for him to try something completely unique.
Apr 23, 2023 5:53 PM
Sep 2020
SodaPop0912 said:
monkkey said:

This is not a “cheesy action-romance movie”, and you’ve absolutely lost your mind if a great movie like this somehow makes your blood boil or would be offensive to anyone or is some kind of cash grab. There couldn’t be a worse mischaracterisation of this movie and what Makoto Shinkai did with this film, than what you’ve just said.

Also, in regards to your Ukraine war point, do you know of a series called “Violet Evergarden?” That might not be directly inspired by Ukraine, but it has clear similarities and is literally a romance story with a backdrop of war, so it debunks your your point completely.

To claim people who enjoyed this movie are somehow not disturbed by real world tragedy, is a nonsensical and actually offensive statement.
Apr 23, 2023 6:09 PM
Jul 2016
FreshWaters said:
CoffeewithEdgawa said:

u are correct....

That’s a relief then, the OP’s “they fall in love” part had me worried for a second 😭 like it better not be anything other than unrequited love ffs 🤣

I guess, instead it's a weird age gap relationship between someone graduating college and a high schooler that feels very forced
Apr 23, 2023 9:06 PM
May 2016
HawksRaider said:
FreshWaters said:

I guess, instead it's a weird age gap relationship between someone graduating college and a high schooler that feels very forced
I agree, the romance was much less developed in this one and felt pretty forced (Though I honestly think that's probably for the better because the age gap would make it kinda gross...). Personally I would have preferred if the romance was just not present at all, since it didn't really add anything to the movie. If anything, it would have been interesting if they ended up having more of a student/mentor sort of relationship since it would have played more into Souta studying to become a teacher.
Apr 23, 2023 9:10 PM

Jan 2021
HawksRaider said:

there was no relationship?? a student having a crush on a teacher is a normal thing, the teacher not returning those feelings is also normal?? like I don't understand what the problem is???
Apr 24, 2023 12:29 AM
Nov 2020
I went to the cinema with my friend who doesn't know as much about anime and she was like "wow that looks like your name" 😭
Apr 24, 2023 1:47 AM
Apr 2023
Akakoah said:
I went to the cinema with my friend who doesn't know as much about anime and she was like "wow that looks like your name" 😭

😂😂........
Apr 24, 2023 2:54 AM
Mar 2021
The_Keyman-1 said:
You did a big mistake by making this thread because the Makoto shinkai fanboys can't face reality and now they are gonna chew you out.
😂😂😂💀
Apr 24, 2023 3:00 AM
Apr 2023
Tomozaki_35 said:
The_Keyman-1 said:
😂😂😂💀

They already tried so hard man...but dont know why the MAL moderators deleted most of their comments....
maybe for their over lovely language😞
Apr 24, 2023 3:05 AM
Mar 2021
Man seriously. Fanboys are a nuisance. I admire Mr. Shinkai a lot. I like this film too. But It just didn't quite meet my expectations. Storywise. I watch anime irrespective of good or bad animation. Yes animation also plays a huge role when the story is average. Good Story is must tho
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » the "romance" didn't make sense ( 1 2 )

MongoDB - Apr 15, 2023

68 by MichaelJackson »»
Yesterday, 10:18 AM

» Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

MyllerPhiem - Apr 8

39 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 4:23 AM

Poll: » Suzume no Tojimari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shikkakku - Nov 11, 2022

341 by Albino-52 »»
Apr 15, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Which is your favorite from this trilogy?

_Chibii_ - Apr 16, 2023

45 by Myetx »»
Mar 14, 5:51 AM

» Is Suzume not related to your name/weathering with you?

BAKA0402 - Apr 27, 2023

23 by JakkoFourEyes »»
Jan 13, 5:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.