Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2023 4:13 PM

Feb 2018
What's the deal with the chair's missing leg? I feel like I totally missed the importance behind that (if there was any).
I would've rewinded the film to clarify this if I wasn't watching in a theater.
Apr 21, 2023 4:27 PM
Jul 2021
never got explained, probably got swept up in the tsunami
Apr 21, 2023 4:27 PM
Sep 2019
I think it was just off screen. At first I was thinking that the chair is stuck in a time loop. Now I'm thinking that the original chair was just picked up with the rubble after the disaster, and the three legged version was the one that belonged to the other world. Otherwise, I'm not really sure how it would have even ended up in Suzume's hands to begin with. The more I dig at it, the stranger the chair is. I liked this movie quite a bit, but the animated chair and Daijin were a
kind of a bizarre twist, considering Makoto Shinkai's usual stuff. It's usually pretty grounded drama with some supernatural elements. This was almost Disney style.
Apr 21, 2023 4:54 PM
Feb 2019
It wasnt shown, but the chair probably lost its leg during the earthquake. I think the missing leg represents Susume’s wounds - although there is something missing, they are still themeselves and they are still able to live and enjoy life.
oof is my motto of life
Apr 21, 2023 6:36 PM
Apr 2019
This is the main problem with the movie, everything is an asspull and nothing gets explained
Apr 21, 2023 7:01 PM
Jan 2021
The main problem with this movie was the lack of boob representation.
Apr 23, 2023 1:32 PM
Oct 2018
chickzy said:
This is the main problem with the movie, everything is an asspull and nothing gets explained

Everything is an asspull? Wtf were you watching?
Apr 23, 2023 2:38 PM
Feb 2022
The chair is a reminder of Suzume's Mother so since she died in a catastrophy and the chair is damaged it symbolize a cathastrophy itself because even chair can be hurt by it because this movie is about earthquakes and that kind of stuff in japan
Apr 23, 2023 8:53 PM
May 2016
It's just not really explained. Because of weird time shenanigans in the Ever After, the chair already had three legs when high-schooler Suzume handed it over to her younger self. Then her younger self found her way out of the Ever After and gets found by her aunt, with the three legged chair beside her. Suzume then holds onto the chair all that time until she's grown up and the cycle repeats again. It's a stable timeloop/paradox. 
Apr 25, 2023 4:44 AM
Jul 2021
JarrodTTD said:
It's just not really explained. Because of weird time shenanigans in the Ever After, the chair already had three legs when high-schooler Suzume handed it over to her younger self. Then her younger self found her way out of the Ever After and gets found by her aunt, with the three legged chair beside her. Suzume then holds onto the chair all that time until she's grown up and the cycle repeats again. It's a stable timeloop/paradox. 

Yup that is what happed and loop is also there from suzume mother dead otherwise she never go out to find her. So loop is how suzume is still stuck in past in memories in trauma and that loop break when she learn truth
But when teenage suzume overcomes and give chair to younger suzume younger suzume get in loop and teen suzume get released from loop and this kind of represents state of trap in trauma in memories in past

so missing leg do represents absence of mother/ truth/memories/clarity in life of suzume
so she don't have Memories means most probably but she did it in younger self. Before meeting teen self there this happened she lost chair in everafter and then after winning against worm she some how endup at that place where little suzume finding mother and not really cares for chair(mother is important na)
Apr 25, 2023 4:50 AM
Jul 2021
Nik03178 said:
chickzy said:

Everything is an asspull? Wtf were you watching?

This movie is focused on mythology of japanese people. and suzume trauma
so there is not much to explain if you are familiar to Japanese things

This is pure japanese movie a local movie with learnings which is helpful worldwide
For understanding worldwide part of suzume there no need to be Japanese
May 8, 2023 9:06 PM

Dec 2014
Is not explained because is not important, nor does it affect in any way the story if the chair has 3 or 4 legs. It has 3 due to symbolism. To symbolize Suzume's lost and trauma, the fact that she is incomplete.
Sep 11, 2023 3:22 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to sxnchit
The main problem with this movie was the lack of boob representation.
@sxnchit I always like some fanservice

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suzume no Tojimari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shikkakku - Nov 11, 2022

341 by Albino-52 »»
Yesterday, 4:06 PM

» Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

MyllerPhiem - Apr 8

36 by Rei_III »»
Yesterday, 9:37 AM

Poll: » the "romance" didn't make sense ( 1 2 )

MongoDB - Apr 15, 2023

67 by MyllerPhiem »»
Apr 8, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Which is your favorite from this trilogy?

_Chibii_ - Apr 16, 2023

45 by Myetx »»
Mar 14, 5:51 AM

» Is Suzume not related to your name/weathering with you?

BAKA0402 - Apr 27, 2023

23 by JakkoFourEyes »»
Jan 13, 5:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.