Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Konosuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 21, 2023 2:34 PM

Oct 2017
Bukkerori might be a creep but I hope he ends up with Soketto and seems like he will.
Apr 21, 2023 2:55 PM

May 2018
Eh, I have to say, this is boring.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 21, 2023 3:43 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I'm losing hope, I thought it would get better but this episode felt even more boring than the previous ones, and I liked Konosuba and Megumin a lot but this series just feels so empty and not funny at all... at least Megumin and Yunyun moment at the end was sweet
Apr 21, 2023 4:35 PM

Nov 2015
billybub said:
How are Crunchyroll’s subs so unbelievably bad?  Kuro=Black not INK.  What even was the point of changing that?
It's just an equivalent name in vibes. Kuro is a relatively common name for a black cat in Japanese (just look up the amount of cat characters with that name here on MAL). Where if you name your cat "black" in English it's just weird or lazy (not gonna say "no one does that" but it's certainly not as common), so the translators went with another relatively common name for black cats in English instead. Nothing to do with "wokeness" or whatever translator conspiracy theory you're into, it's just a decision the translator made in order to make the name match the vibe it had in the original language to the translation's target language. Yall just looking too much into it
BlannersApr 21, 2023 4:40 PM
Apr 21, 2023 4:56 PM

May 2015
Blanners said:
billybub said:
How are Crunchyroll’s subs so unbelievably bad?  Kuro=Black not INK.  What even was the point of changing that?
It's just an equivalent name in vibes. Kuro is a relatively common name for a black cat in Japanese (just look up the amount of cat characters with that name here on MAL). Where if you name your cat "black" in English it's just weird or lazy (not gonna say "no one does that" but it's certainly not as common), so the translators went with another relatively common name for black cats in English instead. Nothing to do with "wokeness" or whatever translator conspiracy theory you're into, it's just a decision the translator made in order to make the name match the vibe it had in the original language to the translation's target language. Yall just looking too much into it

The whole point of the joke was that they named it "Black" because they were lazy.
Apr 21, 2023 5:01 PM

Nov 2015
billybub said:
Blanners said:

The whole point of the joke was that they named it "Black" because they were lazy.
"Ink" is an equivalently common lazy black cat name, but it can't really be applied to "Black". Could've called him "midnight" or "shadow" instead, and it wouldn't make much difference (though those sound a bit more edgy as well ofc). The point is that calling a cat "Black" in english isn't the same sort of thing as calling a cat "Kuro" in japanese, because "Kuro" is something common to call a cat. It's lazy but it's still a common cat name. You can't really apply the same to "Black". That's what I assume was the translator's thought process was, at least. Nothing to do with any conspiracies or "being woke".

It's fine if you disagree with a translation choice, since there are multiple ways to translate something even if you have the exact same goal. I just think assuming malicious intent out of someone just doing their job is unnecessary, especially JP media translators, who are mostly severely underpaid, can't really live out of just translating alone, have poor conditions for the job they're doing (little to no communication with original creators, tight scheduling due to weekly simulcasting, no proper time for research when it might be necessary, etc), and so wouldn't be doing this if they didn't like the media in the first place.
BlannersApr 21, 2023 5:19 PM
Apr 21, 2023 8:26 PM

May 2015
Blanners said:
billybub said:

"Ink" is an equivalently common lazy black cat name, but it can't really be applied to "Black". Could've called him "midnight" or "shadow" instead, and it wouldn't make much difference (though those sound a bit more edgy as well ofc). The point is that calling a cat "Black" in english isn't the same sort of thing as calling a cat "Kuro" in japanese, because "Kuro" is something common to call a cat. It's lazy but it's still a common cat name. You can't really apply the same to "Black". That's what I assume was the translator's thought process was, at least. Nothing to do with any conspiracies or "being woke".

It's fine if you disagree with a translation choice, since there are multiple ways to translate something even if you have the exact same goal. I just think assuming malicious intent out of someone just doing their job is unnecessary, especially JP media translators, who are mostly severely underpaid, can't really live out of just translating alone, have poor conditions for the job they're doing (little to no communication with original creators, tight scheduling due to weekly simulcasting, no proper time for research when it might be necessary, etc), and so wouldn't be doing this if they didn't like the media in the first place.

Ok A) Kuro has one translation and it's Black, hell someone with even a rudimentary level of Japanese knows this
B) numerous localizers have publicly admitted thier malicious intent..see Katrina
C) not getting paid enough isn't an excuse for doing a shitty job..do your job right or quit, nobody's forcing you to do this.
D) people who actually pay for Crunchyroll, Hdive, etc deserve a non defective product (ie correct translations)

In the end it doesn't really effect me, my Japanese is more than sufficient to watch anime.
Apr 21, 2023 10:34 PM

Mar 2023
Its pretty obvious that the reason there was nothing showing up on the crystal ball is cause it was indicating that both the Neek and the fortune teller would end up being together right? Like she mentioned she cant look into her own future as in nothing will show up on the ball no matter what for her, so it would make sense that nothing would show for the Neek since it would also technically reveal the future for the fortune teller if they were meant to be together. Plus she also mentioned that everyone would have a soulmate and that it was weird the neek didnt have any at all which also kinda shows what i mean. I bet im not the only one who realized this but its still cool to think about. I read the manga before the anime but i dont remember if they ever actually did get together or not in it so hopefully they will show or hint at it in the next few episodes
My Candys!

Apr 22, 2023 1:15 AM

Oct 2008
OMG! Soketto is really the town's top beauty! i hope that fortune teller would also step on me!!
5/5.

Apr 22, 2023 1:15 AM
Apr 2020
this is just a bad show. Japan why, why not to do Konosuba season 2
Apr 22, 2023 1:46 AM

Dec 2019
People getting mad that a comedy series is taking it's time with character moments and not progressing the plot... I'm actually really enjoying this and thought this episode was pretty funny and comfy to watch. Konosuba didn't have a groundbreaking plot, it had a cast of characters that bounced off of each other well in comedic situations, this is essentially the same. 
Apr 22, 2023 2:13 AM

Feb 2021
Somehow it's hilarious to see the man get rejected by Her XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 22, 2023 2:15 AM
Oct 2020
The girl who gave a promise to a guy in her past life and the girl who think s she has a bf at the bottom of the ocean was the most iconic moment for me so far lmao

I kinda feel bad for Yunyun
Apr 22, 2023 7:00 AM
Feb 2022
People bitching a lot about this serie. I personally like Megumin Spin-off, and see more about her past at the academy, and her friendly rivalry with YunYun. I also like Arue.
Apr 22, 2023 7:09 AM

Sep 2018
Megumin`s bro was the star this episode which I liked. The episode was better than 1 but slightly worse than 2. Going to say 3/5 stars
Apr 22, 2023 8:51 AM

May 2013
RobertBobert said:
turtleinshell said:
Anyone else find that this Konosuba prequel isn't quite on the same level as the main series? Like the comedy just feels like it's league behind by comparison, and the characters they've introduced don't quite fill the void of the character left behind from the original. It's still got a couple funny scenes, and the show is decent, but just doesn't have the same punch.
And should it be like this? This is just a pure comedic spin-off about the most popular character of the original.
Well, that's all great and all, but sometimes what makes one character really good and really gives you that much more mileage out of them is how they interact with other major characters. Thus when you remove other major characters (that are also really entertaining on their own), you lose out on both some of what made this character fun as well as all of what made the other fun. How do you make up for that? By adding new interesting characters that can somehow make up for their absence, and/or focusing on an interesting story or some such to take place of the comedy. But we haven't really gotten enough of any of that for my liking. The new characters aren't nearly as good so far, and the comedy has suffered as a result. Like I said, it's still pretty good, but it's not quite as good in my opinion. 
Apr 22, 2023 8:55 AM

Apr 2012
turtleinshell said:
RobertBobert said:
And should it be like this? This is just a pure comedic spin-off about the most popular character of the original.
Well, that's all great and all, but sometimes what makes one character really good and really gives you that much more mileage out of them is how they interact with other major characters. Thus when you remove other major characters (that are also really entertaining on their own), you lose out on both some of what made this character fun as well as all of what made the other fun. How do you make up for that? By adding new interesting characters that can somehow make up for their absence, and/or focusing on an interesting story or some such to take place of the comedy. But we haven't really gotten enough of any of that for my liking. The new characters aren't nearly as good so far, and the comedy has suffered as a result. Like I said, it's still pretty good, but it's not quite as good in my opinion. 
Maybe you just have a little high expectations. Personally, I watch this show as a spin-off purely about the gimmicks of Megumin and her people.
Apr 22, 2023 1:54 PM
Jan 2021
poor megumin, it seems like megumin is getting more attention than her. i cant wait for Chomusuke to be named, i want to see how the cat got named. 
Apr 22, 2023 3:29 PM

Apr 2013
I'm shipping them \o/

.·:*¨ 𝕾𝖊𝖙 𝕸𝖊 𝕱𝖗𝖊𝖊 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟬:𝟱𝟱 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟯:𝟮𝟲
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Apr 22, 2023 3:53 PM
Feb 2020
I love the implication that the reason why Megumin was so agressive about Chomsuke's name in the main series was because she was still traumatized over the fact that they shared her name with her cat when she was attending school
Apr 23, 2023 4:14 AM

May 2012
Without Kazuma and Aqua this series doesn't sustain itself. Before the series started i was already thinking that it wouldn't be as good as the main series, but it's a far cry from that.

It's not horrible to the point of it being unwatchable, but it's good either. 
I despise woke people.
Apr 23, 2023 4:58 AM
May 2020
In this episode there have been many nods to Konosuba, "surely there is someone for everyone"🤭
Apr 23, 2023 6:55 AM
Oct 2013
I loved Soketto-san!!! XD
Apr 23, 2023 8:43 AM
Apr 2023
It was nice! I wasn't blown away, but it had nice moments. I think the NEET character is good comic relief and I think he and the fortune teller will probably get together at some point, because it'd make sense why nothing came up as she cannot predict her own future. I think they'd make a great couple as well so she can teach him not to be such a big creep. I also liked the ending. I feel like megumin wants to be friends with Yunyun really badly, but can't get over her own ego and isn't good with complementing other people. good episode.
Apr 23, 2023 12:23 PM

Feb 2020
I loved it how Yunyun suggested so prophetically that the person Megumin will fall for and marry will be someone from her future party. But it's also really cool that Megumin is so focused on her goals in life instead of just wanting to fool around.
Apr 23, 2023 2:17 PM
Dec 2020
No explosion yet but OH MAN it's coming .
Apr 23, 2023 6:06 PM

Dec 2020
Feels bad that so far this spinoff is just boring, even though I really love Konosuba, without the main cast this just feel empty and souless

Dropped
Apr 23, 2023 6:21 PM

Mar 2021
There is a huge disrepancy for those who think will be a masterpiece (anime onlies who show blind enthusiasm for this recent series without a point of reference) and the ln readers who pretty much confirmed it will be not.

I have seen this already with stuff like Spy X Family where the entire manga base is complaining about lack of development, but media still shilling that series as best of all time. 

There needs to be better alignment with anime onlines and source material readers.
Apr 23, 2023 11:46 PM
Jan 2021
I love that they keep collectively bashing the perv. The show continues to be lighthearted and fun.
Apr 24, 2023 10:05 AM

Mar 2014
So what exactly was supposed to be funny in this episode? I love Megumin but this series is boring so far.
Apr 25, 2023 7:16 AM

Feb 2021
It got a few chuckles out of me but that's it. I'm going to keep watching only because it's related to Konosuba. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 25, 2023 10:16 AM

Aug 2013
So Chomusuke's first name was Megumin XD.

Bukkorori was a total creep in this episode.

Apr 25, 2023 8:05 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
I hope that creep stays single the rest of his life.

Kinda funny and sad that Megumin always ends up being alone lol. 
Apr 25, 2023 8:59 PM
Apr 2023
Cute episode - Yunyun's awkwardness makes her act like a tsundere even though she is not. Having both Bukkorori and Soketto's lovelife divination as blank might mean they are connected to each other since the the crystal ball will not show anything connected to the diviner/fortune teller.
Apr 26, 2023 10:21 AM

May 2020
These girls never miss a chance to cook that NEET dude up real bad lol. Though can't say he doesn't deserve that.

Now I get why Yunyun was introduced that way in the main series, as someone who never made friends, because anytime someone did try, she just leave them be to go chase after Megumin lol.
Apr 26, 2023 5:07 PM
Mar 2019
I think Megumin likes Yunyun but won't admit it.
Apr 28, 2023 5:20 AM
Dec 2016
This is just discount konosuba, and the price reflects the quality.
Apr 28, 2023 5:54 PM

May 2020
Megumin vs spider was the highlight! Seems like the prediction doesn't want to tell Bukkorori's future wife/girlfriend... and honestly I'm fully expecting him not to get one lol

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Apr 29, 2023 11:02 AM
The King of Dino

Sep 2019
billybub said:
irisout said:
I guess you've never had to ask a customer "who helped you out today?" while cashing them out, and then gotten the distinct pleasure of watching them fumble their way around avoiding the word "black" to describe your black co-worker, lol

E: Not sure why you decided to add that little barbed "I'mma assume your young" bullshit, but lol. I don't know how anyone on this beautiful earth could be so silly as to think that their surely limited anecdotal experiences are the be-all-end-all of what weird social phenomena are real or not. Anyway, I really gotta wonder what point there is in getting so angry at minorly bad localizations. These people are given absurd deadlines to pump out thankless translation work in time for us dopey-ass weebs to consume middling cartoons at the same time as Japanese audiences. I think it's fine if sometimes there's an awkward translation here or there. No use popping a blood vessel about it

It's not minor when your ruining the punchline of the joke.  Is this as egregious as replacing "brain" with "mind" like they did in Heavenly Delusion, no.  But it's just another example of localizers screwing around with someone else's IP.

I dont really care what word they use, the joke wasnt fun either way

Apr 29, 2023 5:09 PM
Feb 2021
the spider is the best thing to happen to this series
May 2, 2023 4:10 PM

Jun 2019
Felt bad for the stalker guy but I have a little hope for him. Yunyun and Megumin's friendship is adorable.
May 3, 2023 9:07 AM

Mar 2013
Pretty great series so far.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
May 3, 2023 11:28 AM
Sep 2022
Still has that same KonoSuba feel from the original series, still funny!!! Just makes me even more hype to see other KonoSuba adaptations, along with season 3!!!
May 3, 2023 6:54 PM
Jan 2021
Man, these Crimson Demons are EXTRA! Yunyun comes up with a sensible idea, but Bukkarori and Megumin are like "NO WE GOT TO BE COOL ABOUT IT!" Also, why can't Bukkarori express his feelings bro. Just tell Soketo that you like her!

I know that's easier said then done, but at least clarify that you don't hate her!

The teacher wasn't really involved in this episode and for obvious reason Megumin was the focus. I'm excited to see what shenanigans occur in the next episode!
May 4, 2023 2:37 AM
May 2022
Hilarious episode, as always with anything KonoSuba.
May 5, 2023 8:02 PM

Sep 2015
I felt this episode was weaker, compared to two previous episodes, for comedy.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

May 7, 2023 12:11 AM
Jun 2012
3/5 Getting into the swing of the Soviet Yunyun's takeover of Megumin's heart.

While Megumin (cat) remains completely conquered and loyal to the cause.
May 9, 2023 10:07 AM
Aug 2017
Hmm, I'm still enjoying this personally, but the comments earlier in this thread further my confusion from the previous episode. Why aren't they explaining the skill point system and how getting enough points to acquire advanced magic is the process to graduate the school? That is the main plot of the first light novel volume, the girls competing to be first to achieve this. Them not properly explaining this, despite it being blatantly expositioned to the reader at the start of the novel is why everyone is getting the impression this has no plot.

Also fwiw Ink came from the LN translation. I imagine the anime translators were aware of it and decided to just be consistent across mediums so if you want to blame anyone you should probably blame them. They basically directly translated the "netorare ja nai" exchange the same as the novels too and that's one of those ambiguous things like tsundere or itadakimasu that get about a dozen different translations so I'm pretty sure they're using the novel translation as a reference. Personally, I was mildly surprised to learn it was Kuro in Japanese but it didn't really seem important considering we all know she'll get renamed to Chomusuke soon anyway.
May 16, 2023 12:43 PM

Nov 2009
I want to slap Yunyun's (---Y---) too.  Whenever I see Megu do it, it looks really fun.

Also, while this Bukkarori dude is pretty much a stalker, he actually does have the potential to learn magic... in fact, he learned teleportation all by himself while stuck in the pit. That's talent TBH...

Not to mention... "I only know advanced magic" huh... so HE really is Megu's "big bro" huh... (just like future Megu only knows explosion, lol)

and huh... it looks like stalker-kun is indeed destined to get with Sokketo.  Good for him being able to end up with a beauty.  

(too bad this only happens in anime, Real Neets in RL gets shit)

As for the Sub for "black" Kuro being "Ink", It's CR, they tend to sometimes translate things wrongly, this isn't the only anime they did their own version of translation or took it from other fansubs... (CR also tends to take names that's used in the "base material", such as LN instead of Manga, since a lot of times LN comes before Manga, and vise-versa depending which work comes first.  However, the other problem being a lot of these LN and Manga are "fan-scanlations"... so if the scanlation group translate it with their own words, CR will also translate it with the wrong words, LOL.

Which is the result of what we have here, no one but the scanlation and ppls that read RAWs knew it was literally called "Kuro" (Black) and not "Ink" until the anime comes and we can hear the audio literally calling it "Black".

As as for ppls debating on the word Black not to be used to name someone... it's like ppls here never hear of "Goku Black"  LUL... (we should call it Goku Ink)

Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Jun 3, 2023 11:45 AM

Nov 2017
Same shitty gags I've seen a million times. Japanese write the same jokes over and over. Maybe if they got some sleep they'd think up new gags? This show has prequelitis, it's not on the same level as the real KS author. 

Considering drop. 
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Konosuba spinoff only sells 700 blu rays in first week.

DEMSpirit - Feb 24

10 by YahiyaX777L »»
Yesterday, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Yunyun stole the show!

Avvenirista - Jun 22, 2023

14 by YahiyaX777L »»
Yesterday, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2023

102 by Komlan_6 »»
Yesterday, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2023

89 by pasketiii »»
Mar 23, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2023

177 by Aceofacez10 »»
Mar 17, 5:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.