Forum Settings
Forums

Why is MKV such a popular video encoding for anime?

New
May 15, 2010 5:20 AM

Aug 2007
This is an honest question I have. I asked yesterday, but apparently a mod thought I was trolling people or something and closed the thread, so I'm really sorry if I sounded rude because I don't mean to.

It seems (to me at least) that the quality is much lower than some other file types, but the file sizes tend to be larger. Outside of anime, almost no one seems to use it for anything so I'm just wondering why it has become so popular for this particular medium. Unfortunately, this appears to be a hot issue with some people for some reason. I'd appreciate it if you would please take the time to write a real answer and don't just spam "MKV IS AWESOME!" or "MKV SUCKS!" since those don't help me, even if you post them 100 times or more :-)
May 15, 2010 5:49 AM

Dec 2007
It has to do with quality. But I think people already moved on from .mkv...
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
May 15, 2010 5:54 AM

Sep 2008
.mkv is not an encoding format...it's just a media container.
May 15, 2010 5:57 AM

Nov 2007
If you're going to post stuff like "the quality is much lower" then how about providing some examples?

The fact is, MKV is a modern container that is a lot more flexible than any others. Of course it can be used poorly; but so can anything. The potential it contains allows for higher quality, which is generally used by any decent encoders (of which any decent fansub group has at least one).

I'll leave this thread open for the time-being, but it's highly likely to be closed, or at least merged in to a similar one in the future. I will, however, move it to anime discussion since you specifically question why it's used for anime.
May 15, 2010 6:09 AM

Aug 2007
Asako said:
If you're going to post stuff like "the quality is much lower" then how about providing some examples?

The fact is, MKV is a modern container that is a lot more flexible than any others. Of course it can be used poorly; but so can anything. The potential it contains allows for higher quality, which is generally used by any decent encoders (of which any decent fansub group has at least one).

I'll leave this thread open for the time-being, but it's highly likely to be closed, or at least merged in to a similar one in the future. I will, however, move it to anime discussion since you specifically question why it's used for anime.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to provide a specific example of "lower quality". I shouldn't have used the word "much" since it's really more of a general impression I've gotten with the variety of MKV vids I've seen and not something I can quantify. Perhaps, as you say, I've just watched a skewed sample of videos where it is poorly used.

Could you please give an example of what you mean by "a lot more flexible than any others?"
UserZeroMay 15, 2010 6:14 AM
May 15, 2010 6:38 AM

Nov 2007
UserZero said:
Could you please give an example of what you mean by "a lot more flexible than any others?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats
May 15, 2010 6:42 AM

Mar 2007
From what I understand of it is that mkv is a container and not a format (like what has been mentioned before). If mkv is a container, it means you can put stuff in it. The container itself doesn't mean much, except that it's labeled with its contents.

So what do you put in there? Video (e.g. avi), audio (e.g. mp3), subs (e.g. ass) maybe even add fonts (e.g. ttf) and likely other stuff I dunno about.

That makes mkv very flexible. Like for instance, you can add more than one .ass file or multiple fonts to create subs in different languages and subs in different fonts. Or how about multiple audio tracks to allow not just the Japanese voices, but also dub voices. You can also make "soft subs" which allows the user to enable/disable subs.

And that's what makes mkv so much more flexible, as "regular formats" like avi only has one video and audio track.

Edit: Obviously I'm not talking about other containers like ogg and whatnot.......See Asako's link for that.
May 15, 2010 6:53 AM

Jun 2009
Boursk said:

So what do you put in there? Video (e.g. avi),

Avi is another container like mkv.
May 15, 2010 6:59 AM

Nov 2007
The ability to use any video and audio formats, along with subtitles is nice, but chapters, particularly ordered chaptering really sets MKV apart from the rest. I adore series that are encoded with ordered chapters, on several fronts;

a) Once OP/ED are encoded, they're their own files. Download them once, and don't have to waste time/bandwidth on that data for every episode. Which also increases fansub productivity (getting episodes out faster).

b) I can simply not download them if I want to save download quota, and disk space. I hate most OP/EDs anyway.

c) When the OP/ED change (with longer series etc) the group can still release the episode on time without delaying it due to stupid time wasted on karaoke effects that always bog down release times. Though I'm yet to see a group actually do that, the possibility exists. D: Shame so many people are obsessed with their damn OP/ED crap karoke. GAO.

I could go on. The MKV format offers many advantages over other formats (Older OGMs, and certainly the static AVI) that particularly benefit anime fansubbing due to its nature (subtitles, focus on OP/EDs etc) though it is also widely used for HDTV and movies outside of anime, even if all of the features aren't exploited.
May 15, 2010 7:16 AM

Aug 2007
Thanks for some great answers everyone! I'd seen some people use the "soft subs" ability to include optional subtitles before, but I had never really understood what the point of it was, or what a lot of these other features did. Thank you all for enlightening me.
May 15, 2010 7:51 AM

Jun 2009
Boursk said:

Edit: Obviously I'm not talking about other containers like ogg and whatnot.......See Asako's link for that.

Probably I haven't been enough clear. The video is encoded in Xvid, Divx, H.264 ect. it isn't encoded in AVI. Avi is just the container so this part of your sentence is wrong.
Boursk said:

So what do you put in there? Video (e.g. avi),

I hope that now it is clear.
May 15, 2010 8:55 AM

Oct 2009
mkvs have better quality then avis
May 15, 2010 12:47 PM

Aug 2009
I'm such a noob concerning such kinda things. But as far as I notice, .mkv is used for high def video files not only for anime but also for movies as well. Though as little as I know, a 60 mb mini mkv file is of better quality than avi or rmvb format of the same file size, if handled properly. I think thats the main thing here.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

May 15, 2010 2:22 PM
Nov 2008
Okay, I want to add my two cents here. MKV is a container file format for the encoding (...packaging) of video contents. So you all know, the word codec is a somewhat abbreviation for code & decode or compress & decompress. MKV is a container-codec format. We all know what container means, it's an empty capacity. Well, MKV is aesthetically a container-codec, that's all it is.

This inevitably prompts the question, "...so, what does this packet (...container-codec) hold?..."; The answer is, the contents of the video, such as audio files, image files (CBR (Constant) frames or VBR (Variable) frames) - depending on how you recorded your video or created the frames individually. Regardless, if you want to place your video in another format, for example, from WMV to MKV, the quality of the video contents will be rendered again thus resulting in a lower quality video (...that's if you convert an original video that was already produced and rendered).

The outcome should be just to leave the video as it is. No need to crop just so you can achieve a full 720 Progressive Pixel Scan Frame resolution, or 1080p - else you will notice your video will be pixelatted and the like. I know some would argue, "...then what about HD?...". HD only works best in the initial production (...or if you have the original raw frames from the publisher unextracted). It's virtually useless to re-render a video for quality enhancement purposes. Best to keep your video untouched.

Another argument would be, "...what if I don't have the necessary codec for the video and am in need to convert it?..."; in that case, find the codec via Google search, or convert it - just know there will be a quality loss, little or big.

MKV is the equivalent to a lossless file format, meaning the codec will not compress the video content with compression-priority, that's why people think MKV is preferable. It is preferable if it's in that format upon release officially. But converting it is a different matter. If you can find an anime released as an MKV, then lucky you.

Now, if you are an AMV (Anime Music Video) creator and want to edit the video directly, the MKV is your best friend since it's a lossless video-content container due to the fact that you will find yourself adding effects to the video frames/audio. In this case you will want to lose as little as possible in your video, so MKV compression best suits.

You might notice some video sharing sites have a limit to how much you can upload, well then you will need some other video content-container-codec for compression priority and control.

If you read this, you now understand. Please keep in mind, I do not claim to be a video wizard. I just read up on these things since I upload videos. Heck, if I'm wrong somewhere, correct me. However, I do believe the information I discussed here is correct.

-------

EDIT: I would like to add; I don't, and have never to this day, worked with the Matroska (...MKV) media container. So I'm not sure if Matroska has it's very own video media codec. Examples are the WMV (...Windows Media Video) media container and WMV9 video codec, and WMA10 audio codec.

AFTER-EDIT CONCLUSION: ...leaving out the media codec, MKV is a media container-format which contains the video frame(s) and audio track(s) encoded, with a lossless compression.

TOPIC ANSWER: The reason why MKV is popular for anime is because of it's noted lossless compression. Anime show creators most likely notice this fact and use it to contain their video frames and audio tracks for maximum quality. - it has nothing to do with HD.
ChellleMay 15, 2010 3:55 PM
May 15, 2010 3:56 PM

Nov 2007
Boursk said:
From what I understand of it is that mkv is a container and not a format (like what has been mentioned before). If mkv is a container, it means you can put stuff in it. The container itself doesn't mean much, except that it's labeled with its contents.

So what do you put in there? Video (e.g. avi), audio (e.g. mp3), subs (e.g. ass) maybe even add fonts (e.g. ttf) and likely other stuff I dunno about.

That makes mkv very flexible. Like for instance, you can add more than one .ass file or multiple fonts to create subs in different languages and subs in different fonts. Or how about multiple audio tracks to allow not just the Japanese voices, but also dub voices. You can also make "soft subs" which allows the user to enable/disable subs.

And that's what makes mkv so much more flexible, as "regular formats" like avi only has one video and audio track.

you forgot chapters. ahhhh chapters that allow me to skip the OP with ease <333
May 15, 2010 5:39 PM
Nov 2008
-Reads OP-

Wait...what? Generally anime encoded in x.264 with an AAC audio codec inside of the .MKV media container will be of a much smaller size than an anime encoded in XviD with an MP3 audio condec within an AVI or MP4 media container. Of course, that depends on video resolution and the such.

The video's quality can also be due to the source itself.
May 15, 2010 7:05 PM

Nov 2007
Onibokusu said:
Generally anime encoded in x.264 with an AAC audio codec inside of the .MKV media container will be of a much smaller size than an anime encoded in XviD with an MP3 audio condec within an AVI or MP4 media container.

I'll just point out the fact that the size depends entirely on the bitrates used, the main difference is that 264 is a more efficient codec, meaning it can compress MORE data to the same size of xvid or other similar codecs, so with two files (xvid and 264) of the same size (say SD 175Mb) from the same source, the 264 will be higher quality because it retains more of the original data, since it compresses better instead of simply discarding data that xvid does.

However with more bitrate the quality will be even greater (eg HD eps at 350Mb 'standard') though it's also possible to use less and be crappy, eg tiny reencodes of stuff for people with limited download quota or disk space. These are the devil and should never be considered by anybody.

There are many other factors involved, too, but largely it comes down to the bitrates used, and whether the series needs a lot (action = fast motion = more bitrate, static drama = no need for huge amounts of data)
May 15, 2010 7:30 PM

Nov 2007
Onibokusu said:
-Reads OP-

Wait...what? Generally anime encoded in x.264 with an AAC audio codec inside of the .MKV media container will be of a much smaller size than an anime encoded in XviD with an MP3 audio condec within an AVI or MP4 media container. Of course, that depends on video resolution and the such.

The video's quality can also be due to the source itself.

I've seen plenty of mkvs that were bigger file sizes than avis, but I'm assuming that has to do with the quality of the video and size proportions. He may not have taken that into consideration when he compared file sizes.
Jun 16, 2013 12:25 AM

Jan 2011
asako, I'm tired of hearing your mumbling about whatever thing that isn't your liking( OP/ED/LQ). *sigh* don't elitist have something better to do than sprouting what they think about what they hate? inb4 hypocrisy.
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Jun 16, 2013 12:28 AM

Jun 2009
Holy shit, that was three years ago! And, I haven't seen Asako on this site in forever....
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 16, 2013 12:35 AM

Aug 2011
Yes, reply to a person three years after they made their post, that's what this site is for....
Jun 17, 2013 9:04 AM

Mar 2013
i dont know what you are talking about what legal option allows you to have mkv files?
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jun 17, 2013 9:15 AM

Jul 2011
mp4 >
Jun 17, 2013 10:57 AM

Oct 2009
i miss mp4, .avi, divx, and xvid with hard subs
Jun 17, 2013 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
Now that's what I call necro posting.
Jun 17, 2013 11:02 AM

Jun 2012
I take what I can get, so it doesn't matter. and.........
mitch3315 said:
Yes, reply to a person three years after they made their post, that's what this site is for....

^this.
Jun 17, 2013 11:56 AM

Jun 2007
Late reply I know, but a few relevant things:

Boursk said:
Or how about multiple audio tracks to allow not just the Japanese voices, but also dub voices. You can also make "soft subs" which allows the user to enable/disable subs.
.ogm can do the same thing.

orbi said:
you forgot chapters. ahhhh chapters that allow me to skip the OP with ease <333
Which .mp4 and .ogm can also do.

As has been touched on by others, the main advantage of .mkvs in fansubbing is their support for styled softsubs. Afaik .mp4 can support most if not all features of h.264, aside from maybe 10-bit color depth, so that's not exclusive to .mkv. But before .mkv came out, groups had to either (A) hardsub everything, (B) distribute scripts (and needed non-common fonts) as external subs with .avis, or (C) use unstyled .srt softsubs in the .ogm container. While .srt work fine as optional subs with "scene" releases of US movies and TV shows, and with some simpler anime DVDs, they don't allow any of the karaoke effects, positioning, multiple colors, or other formatting fansubbers like to use. .mkv allowed fansubbers to do the same things they did with hardsubbed .avis in softsubs. And for DVD-rips, .mkvs allowed rippers to preserve the DVD picture subs "as-is," which was good for more complicated DVDs with more onscreen texts that would've been turned into jumbled mush in the conversion to .srt.

RandomChampion said:
i miss mp4, .avi, divx, and xvid with hard subs
You must not be looking hard enough, because aside from divx, most of those formats can still be found for most shows in a given season. Groups like EveTaku, SubDesu, Hatsuyuki, Mazui, and UTW generally release .mp4 or .avi versions, and you can often find unofficial re-encodes that convert other groups' .mkvs to those formats. What I really miss are low-res .mkvs, which are pretty much non-existent these days. Thank goodness for Doki.

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

60 by Zarutaku »»
39 seconds ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 4 hours ago

3 by nishant0 »»
28 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

40 by FanofAction »»
28 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

72 by luckyrune »»
31 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 1 hour ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.