Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2023 3:24 PM

Jan 2023
Well I have hit a bit of a wall here everyone, a conundrum of great magnitude. As many myanimelist members know I use a very unique rating system that everyone regards as the best on the website, essentially I rate on episode count of the episodes I've seen, taking into account watches and rewatches. Normally for movies I divide the time by 20 minutes, so essentially a 1 Hour 20 Minute Movie would be 4 episodes, this movie has an official watch time of 1 Hour and 36 minutes, anything just 5 minutes under the 20 minute fresh hold, in this case 1 Hour 36 Minutes I would then class as 5 episodes due to the fact it was so close to making it, here's the problem

This movie is clearly 4 episodes however, so do you guys think MAL will continue to have this listed as being a movie or they'll split it up into the real episode count cause this is really causing my list some chaos right now. Right now I am rating it as a 5 episode movie, but I feel MAL might just randomly change how they list this, and it will make my very well respected factual scores seem less trust worthy if the day comes when I have to reduce it's count to 4 episodes long :(

HELP ME PLEASE
Apr 7, 2023 3:34 PM
Jun 2021
BestListMAL said:
Well I have hit a bit of a wall here everyone, a conundrum of great magnitude. As many myanimelist members know I use a very unique rating system that everyone regards as the best on the website, essentially I rate on episode count of the episodes I've seen, taking into account watches and rewatches. Normally for movies I divide the time by 20 minutes, so essentially a 1 Hour 20 Minute Movie would be 4 episodes, this movie has an official watch time of 1 Hour and 36 minutes, anything just 5 minutes under the 20 minute fresh hold, in this case 1 Hour 36 Minutes I would then class as 5 episodes due to the fact it was so close to making it, here's the problem

This movie is clearly 4 episodes however, so do you guys think MAL will continue to have this listed as being a movie or they'll split it up into the real episode count cause this is really causing my list some chaos right now. Right now I am rating it as a 5 episode movie, but I feel MAL might just randomly change how they list this, and it will make my very well respected factual scores seem less trust worthy if the day comes when I have to reduce it's count to 4 episodes long :(

HELP ME PLEASE

Well it is officialy been split into 4 episodes so I would use that instead of 5.
Apr 7, 2023 3:35 PM

Jan 2021
Just rate it as a movie and if the site ever changes it to 4 episodes then change the score.
Apr 7, 2023 3:45 PM
Sep 2019
I would definitely think of it more as 4 than 5 episodes. Not to criticize your system but 96 min is exactly equal to four 24 min episodes. I'm sure the OP and ED are different in the actual movie but still, seems much closer to 4 episodes than 5 to me.

Not for my anime ratings, but just on a spreadsheet, I do average episode ratings for everything I watch, and I understand the struggle of figuring out how many episodes a movie is equivalent to. I also think of 20 min chunks as equal to an episode, but unlike you, in the end I round the number of episodes down because episodes are actually usually over 20 min. And in this case, where the movie was actually also released as 4 episodes, it's kind of a no brainier to me.
Apr 7, 2023 3:46 PM

Apr 2020
I read your entire post with this image in mind:
Apr 7, 2023 6:45 PM
Feb 2021
wait does people still watch a show biased with one's personal review sheesh
Apr 8, 2023 12:16 AM
Feb 2021
Tell me you have OCD without telling me.
Apr 8, 2023 12:34 AM
Dec 2021
BestListMAL said:

HELP ME PLEASE

rather just enjoy the anime??
Apr 8, 2023 2:03 AM
Mar 2021
GMER said:
I read your entire post with this image in mind:

upvote nnnnniggg
Apr 8, 2023 7:45 AM
Mar 2015
BestListMAL said:

HELP ME PLEASE

lol- you must have a mental disorder. imagine creating some over complicated rating system for no reason than to be difficult, and then be upset because it's listed as a movie instead of 4 episodes, which doesn't matter in the slightest if the content is the same. maybe try a shrink first
Apr 8, 2023 8:31 AM
Jan 2022
BestListMAL said:

HELP ME PLEASE

you rated Ex-Arm with 7/10. And you consider your rating system as "factual". Are you joking with me rn? Your ratings are as subjective as any other MAL user, including me. Pls stop with your best among best ratings bs.
Apr 8, 2023 9:20 AM
Feb 2023
It’s not a movie tbh. And do you actually care about ratings? Comeon, most ratings especially for this anime is biased. Even me who don’t care about ratings complained about it to the community because it became way too obvious when positive review bombing started
Apr 8, 2023 12:11 PM
Apr 2016
4 episodes + 4x OP and ED.
Apr 9, 2023 9:14 AM
Sep 2020
what's the difference if you're going to rate it a 10 anyways
Apr 9, 2023 4:50 PM

Oct 2011
Scoring based on episode count and the # of episodes you watched is the biggest failure of a scoring system that I've ever saw. But it's something that probably only works for you only and maybe a few other cult followers of this method, especially if you're the type to rewatch things.

I never really rewatch anything and just like your bias of doing episode count watched, I have my own bias on what I score, based on a feeling or enjoyment and many other factors.

This was a funny post to read, however, especially on a board of a funny anime.
May 14, 2023 3:39 PM

Dec 2019
Why is MAL saying this is a single movie when it has 4 eps of 25:30 mins each?
The total time is totally wrong and that annoys me too
I am going to report it to them as ask that it is fixed
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

May 14, 2023 11:12 PM

Feb 2014
hacker09 said:
Why is MAL saying this is a single movie when it has 4 eps of 25:30 mins each?
The total time is totally wrong and that annoys me too
I am going to report it to them as ask that it is fixed

Because it first aired as a movie and then it came out as 4 episodes. So it's not gonna be changed as MAL is not adding recap movies that have no new scenes or changes, so why would they change this? Total time is probably just the OP and ED being there x, but that's not something I counted so just a guess.

Machy

<--- Animelist
Mangalist --->
May 31, 2023 8:30 PM

Oct 2019
stop...

listen, you made a thread a while ago explaining how you rate things, and it was one of the dumbest thing i have ever read.

rating systems are subjective, its a personal thing, purely based on taste, so i never thought a system could be "bad"...

but what i read that day has been hunting in my sleep.

so for the love of haruhi, stop reminding me. just ask your question, you don't to explain your system and reawaken my nightmares.

for those of you who don't know, his system is based on time spend.

so if you have seen one piece, 1060 or so episodes, and you have seen an hour long movie.

you need to watch the movie 400 times, if you like it as much as one piece. because time spent is the biggest factor.

just wtf.

anything that stops that from being a thing is good in my book.

idk why this bothers me. it really shouldn't.

but it feels like someone putting ketchup on steak, its non of my buisness, and has 0 affect on me, but it still makes me angry.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942

More topics from this board

» So is there gonna be any new season after this

Rnonsenseguy - Apr 2, 2023

19 by Zynnnsss »»
Yesterday, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: First Kiss wa Owaranai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Usopp8000 - Dec 18, 2022

216 by watawatashi »»
Apr 13, 2:06 PM

» A little disappointed

official_brown - Oct 17, 2023

32 by Cedric2498 »»
Apr 11, 12:02 AM

» A good end of the story but was it really?

BunnySenpaiii1 - Jan 22

24 by Lockensocke »»
Feb 24, 10:21 PM

» Ice Kaguya ruins character developement? (movie spoilers)

realfifi - Apr 8, 2023

35 by Gator »»
Jan 14, 1:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.