Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 29, 2023 1:25 AM

Apr 2012
How well-planned is your anime viewing roadmap, or is there one at all?  Do you like to make challenges like "I want to finish this franchise" or "I want to watch high-profile shows from a genre I previously ignored", or do you generally dislike forced conditions for watching anime? Did you have an interesting experience when you planned to watch some particular anime or just stumbled upon something interesting and got carried away by chance?
Mar 29, 2023 1:34 AM

Oct 2010
I watch 2-3 different anime episodes per day
when I finish an anime I watch another, think of it like tv slots
I don't binge anymore
Mar 29, 2023 1:46 AM

May 2021
before, I just watched whatever looked good genre and synopsis wise if I saw it on crunchyroll or something with no plan at all, even disregarding my plan-to-watch list most of the time

but I found I was watching a lot of the same kind of stuff so lately I’ve been using the anime watching challenge list (not doing it formally) which has a long list of prompts and then just randomly generate a number so I gotta watch something that works for that number

I don’t finish the shows for awhile but I watch an episode or two when I’m in the mood and start a new prompt all the time, it’s added a lot of variety in my anime

like I had to find an anime that aired during a certain programming block on a Japanese channel so I’ve been watching moyashimon and can safely say I never would’ve otherwise, it’s been a fun experience and feels like a scavenger hunt lol
Mar 29, 2023 1:49 AM

May 2013
Binge highest rated shows
Binge popular shows
Binge hidden gems

Binge seasonal series in the order above right after they finished airing.
Conquering the 1000+ episodes monstrosity known as One Piece right now.

Mar 29, 2023 1:59 AM

Aug 2020
Just about everything you said particularly this one
RobertBobert said:
Did you have an interesting experience when you planned to watch some particular anime or just stumbled upon something interesting and got carried away by chance?
that's me with Gakuen Handsome, Sexy Commando Gaiden and Kemono Jihen.
Mar 29, 2023 2:17 AM

May 2019
No i don't have a roadmap for watching anime, i just watch whatever i want whenever i feel like it.
Mar 29, 2023 3:48 AM

Sep 2017
Yup, I have quite a long PTW list and I recently sorted it out and selected 50 anime to watch in a certain order (which I probably won't stick with anyways)

Mar 29, 2023 4:02 AM

Apr 2019
Very structured. Half of the year I'm in AWC, which requires many unusual picks and implies a strict order. Another external driver is a group watch club. And finally, I'm a malbadges and anime+ fan, so often I pick something to complete a badge (year, genre, theme, ...). My PTW is kept at ~250 entries so I get enough matches there once a requirement is raised by the listed drivers. To allow better searching in my PTW, I maintain tags to make up for missing MAL search facilities.

Mar 29, 2023 4:10 AM

Dec 2021
I usually plan out the next 4-5 anime I'm going to watch (based on recommendations and my plan-to-watch list). Sometimes I go through phases where I'm a bit more spontaneous with my choices.

Occasionally I plan the next anime I'm going to watch based on a theme (it could be based on studio, creator etc.). Right now, it's to catch up on the seasonals I've missed recently.

I'm not at all interested in doing any of those Anime Watching Challenges. I only watch what I want to watch.
Mar 29, 2023 5:40 AM

Sep 2020
Yeah, I usually think of the next anime I'm going to watching when I'm watching one, like a queue system.
For example:
Madoka magica -> Chihayafuru 
Rikeikoi -> Hibike! Euphonium
Mar 29, 2023 5:51 AM

Jul 2021
I barely check out the currently airing shows I marked as watching even after they finished airing and got fully dubbed.
Mar 29, 2023 6:25 AM
Sep 2013
I commit to a series if I start it. Don't like putting it on hold after a season or two unless it's still ongoing. 

Other than that, no. I might have a few  things I want to watch but that's all. It's really more "I won't have the time to watch all of these at once so I'll pick 1 or 2 at a time" 
Mar 29, 2023 6:26 AM

Oct 2011
I do.. or did... I always come up with certain ideas on how to choose an anime and follow it for a short time, but then I have many adhd moments and switch this up and come with a new method or just decide to watch anime for a while on just one service or whatever I feel like doing that week/month.
Mar 29, 2023 6:47 AM

Jan 2021
I don't really have one. I prioritize seasonals, but even then I just stick the amount I have to watch into a random number generator and watch whatever number it lands on. I do try and watch already aired anime when I have time (I barely have time to keep up with seasonals as is), and when I'm deciding on one to watch I have a system. I'm willing to go back about 30-ish years for anime, so I stick the amount of years in a random number generator and pick which ever one it lands on. From there I pick a season at random, then go through to see which anime I find interesting. I'll then stick that amount into a number generator and try out the number it lands on. If I don't like it I try again.

For a longer series such as HxH or Black Clover, I typically watch about 25-ish episodes and then watch a 12 episode anime to give myself a break.

Mar 29, 2023 7:10 AM

Nov 2007
I keep a list of anime I'd like to watch soon, that I frequently edit. The list is vaguely in "priority order," but I just pick things off of it randomly anyway. I also just watch stuff that's not on the list at all, all of the time. It's more like a personal memo that I refer to when I don't know what to watch.

When picking stuff to PTW, I basically find them by looking up artists/writers/directors I am interested in (including mangaka). Then the people that influenced those artists/worked with them often. I also read various writers or bloggers or interviews with creators I like. Part of what interests me, since I like to write about these things for my own enjoyment, is specific trends in the industry, or comparing thematic concerns/representation of specific issues or types of characters across different anime. Or comparing differences between how things appear in anime and manga. So reading blogs and articles helps with finding works relevant to whatever topic I'm interested in. So that all influences what goes on my priority list, but again, I just kinda pick stuff randomly.

The only time I follow a "roadmap" is when I'm actually committed to watching a franchise, like with UC Gundam. Although there have been occasions (like with Bubblegum Crisis) where I didn't intend to watch the franchise (I didn't like the first OVA, never watched Crash, never watched the AD Police TV series) but I ended up watching most of them because I'm a fan of writers that worked on them like Shou Aikawa, Chiaki Konaka and Sadayuki Murai.
ohohohohohohoMar 29, 2023 11:15 AM
Mar 29, 2023 6:12 PM
Jul 2018
TRC_Randy said:
Just about everything you said particularly this one
RobertBobert said:
Did you have an interesting experience when you planned to watch some particular anime or just stumbled upon something interesting and got carried away by chance?
that's me with Gakuen Handsome, Sexy Commando Gaiden and Kemono Jihen.
Incredible. After all of these years, I've wondered where the purple haired Dorito-man came from. Thank you.

Anyway, I like to watch anime based on its time of release then consider things like genre, source material, etc. Early 2000's anime is obviously different from anime now, and it's cool to go down rabbit holes like the various anime adaptations of Key visual novels.
Mar 29, 2023 6:16 PM

Jun 2019
I just watch whatever I feel like watching. There's not much planning. Sometimes I have a vague idea of what I'm going to watch next when I'm in the middle of my current show. I normally binge one or two shows at once.
Mar 29, 2023 6:19 PM
Dec 2021
I'll try every romance rated over 7.00 
that's it, no real plan other than that.
Mar 29, 2023 6:28 PM

May 2018
Not really, it's all over the place ngl. But I do have a priority order that I sometimes follow, and at the moment I'm trying to watch everything I haven't seen yet from Kyoani, and sometimes I do this with other stuff as well. I also have a list with the things I want to re-watch, either to remember and watch the further entries of the series or to experience the things I like the most again. So you could say there's some logic in it, and I also try to keep my watching habits as diverse as possible, watching things from different genres and themes, and alternating between different series at the same time.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 29, 2023 6:36 PM

Feb 2021
I don't make any roadmap because I'm sure I won't follow it because of my schedule. It's meant for a time pass and watching anime is not a job.
Mar 29, 2023 7:15 PM

Sep 2019
I used to, but now I just pick whatever peaks my interest first and roll with it.
Mar 29, 2023 8:02 PM

Aug 2020
I usually watch seasonal series that interest me and vary it with older series.
I never run out of series to watch because my ptw list is endless.
If I start watching a series it was probably because: I wanted to watch it unexpectedly, it was pending on my priority list, it was some underground series or a series that I was spoiled and I want to "undo" spoilers by watching the whole series, the more series I watch to "undo" these spoilers, the less spoilers I will remember (since those will no longer be spoilers if I watched the series(?) ), and the better it will be.

Mar 29, 2023 8:43 PM

Sep 2015
I just watch anything that isn't too long and if it is i'll watch an ova or movie associated with it to see if i like it enough to watch the full series, I know a lot of them are set after the original run but i'm not too fussed about spoilers.
Mar 29, 2023 8:47 PM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
never really put much thought but i like finish a show before i start unless im watching seasonals

i adore you, can't you see, you're meant for me?
summer's hot but i've been cold without you ୨★୧
Mar 29, 2023 8:51 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Yeah, short term stuff like watching some recent seasonals or longer term like binging the Gintama franchise. That said, most of my watching is just anime randomly picked from my PTW.
Mar 29, 2023 8:56 PM

Oct 2014
I do the MAL AWC every year so when I'm doing it my anime watching is pretty organized. Usually I sort of just watch whatever, maybe planning one or two anime ahead.
Mar 29, 2023 9:04 PM

Jul 2012
Kinda. I watch 3 anime from my ptw list, 3 anime from my onhold list and 1 from my dropped list at the same time. I watch 4 episodes from a anime and switch to the next one. this continues until one anime is over and i decide the next one with random.org

my onhold list is filled with missing sequels and prequels and my dropped list is filled with ovas, specials MAL didnt consider canon.

Mar 29, 2023 9:19 PM

Feb 2019
Im ashamed I do this sometimes. I have a detailed list of shows I want to watch in a specific time frame. Like 25 shows in 3 months kinda thing. However I don't always follow through. If I have a sad anime in the list & usually follow it up with something funny. Or if I have a very complicated & slow I follow it up with something more simple & fast paced. I do this to balance out the type of shows so that I always get something new & fresh whenever I watch something.
Mar 29, 2023 9:26 PM

Sep 2022
No. If I do that it will feel like a chore rather than for enjoyment. I just gotta watch when I feel like it.
Mar 30, 2023 12:10 AM
Jan 2021
It's pretty inconsistent, I usually try to watch an episode before bed, while doing flashcards. Unfortunately I usually forget so finishing even short series takes forever for me. Because I don't wait until I finish one anime to start another one, there are some that took me years to finish a single season. Kinda stupid cause when I was young a could binge several seasons in the same week.
Mar 30, 2023 12:21 AM

Jul 2021
My goal is to enjoy as many shows as possible, so if I'm not in the mood for some shounen stuff I won't force myself to watch it just because I'm behind the schedule. Even just having a schedule makes it seem like a chore. I don't need to listen to recommendations nor do I have to watch the classics. In fact if the classics are so good I'd rather watch them AFTER everything else, so that they won't spoil the fun in watching mediocre stuff.
Mar 30, 2023 12:30 AM

Apr 2020
finish seasonals, finish 1-cours, finish anime i happen to stumble upon and bookmark without a second though

Mar 30, 2023 3:44 PM
Dec 2017
i just watch whatever i'm in the mood in.

Mar 30, 2023 3:51 PM

Jan 2021
Well on my own I wing it, but with friends I generally plan out what's next on the agenda - we all get a choice and put what we each wanna watch - want to show to the others on the schedule. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 30, 2023 6:11 PM

Mar 2021
I've been choosing recently from the lineup of limited-time, free anime releases on the video app I use; if I like the first season, I'll sometimes continue watching the second season.

If the genre of anime I'm watching and the genre of manga I'm reading are the same, I'm likely to get bored with both, so I try to be selective.

Mar 30, 2023 6:25 PM

Mar 2019
I plan out months at a time (tentatively) for my retrospective watches.

Things don't always go 100% but it helps a lot.
Mar 30, 2023 6:48 PM

May 2021
I just watch whenever I feel like it. I'd only set myself a challenge if I were participating in one, like the AWC.

Mar 30, 2023 7:11 PM
DG9 CEO striker

Aug 2020
I have a very long plan to watch list in a Word document. But I also want to watch newer, recent anime. So I make a roadmap of ~30 anime, take random 15 from the PTW list and choose 15 from recent seasons, I shuffle them so that I watch 1 from PTW, one from seasonals, one from PTW and so on. And this is my 30 anime roadmap. I complete it, then I make a new one 
Hero_of_My_StoryMar 30, 2023 7:14 PM
9cycle cycle9

Mar 30, 2023 7:12 PM

Jun 2017
I just pick something that seems interesting and watch it. There is no real rhyme or reason to it. I do have series that are on my radar, but nothing is planned out exactly when I will watch it.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Mar 30, 2023 7:37 PM

Sep 2021
I have a list of shows that are just series I want to prioritize, so I'll chip away at those when I'm looking for something new to watch. I also have some watching goals for the year (listed on my profile), and obviously some of those series fall into them. Most of my goals are to finish everything from certain franchises that I've been meaning to (like Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, Monogatari, and Fate, for example-), and to finish everything from Kyoto Animation (since it happens to be my favorite studio). While I'd like to get through all of my goals this year, I also see this as a long-term thing, and I'll probably be adding more series as I go. From that list, I just go with what I feel most excited to check out in the moment. I also like to play catch up if there's a series getting a sequel season soon- like I'll be doing for Mahoutsukai no Yome.

My Plan to Watch list does have most of the things I want to watch eventually, but it's becoming more of a "keep track of upcoming shows that I'm really interested in and want all the updates for", than an actual "Plan to Watch" list. Otherwise though, I try not to stick super closely to my goals and I'll weave in other random anime that I find from time to time, so I don't burn out on them. I really don't want to ever force myself to watch something for the sake of a goal, and I could see that happening really easily. So I don't think I'd ever join anything like the Anime Watching Challenge- at least not right now. Some of my best experiences with anime have been from finally giving a series like K-On! a try, or watching Nana because I always saw it mentioned in threads here on MAL. I don't know if those experiences would have felt the same if they had been required for a challenge, rather than just coming from my random initial interest.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Mar 30, 2023 7:39 PM

Oct 2011
RentNoGirlfriend said:
My goal is to enjoy as many shows as possible, so if I'm not in the mood for some shounen stuff I won't force myself to watch it just because I'm behind the schedule. Even just having a schedule makes it seem like a chore. I don't need to listen to recommendations nor do I have to watch the classics. In fact if the classics are so good I'd rather watch them AFTER everything else, so that they won't spoil the fun in watching mediocre stuff.

This is usually the way to go. Just watch what you feel like watching at any given rule. No need for pressure to keep up with the new stuff unless it's ones you want to at that time, or keep up with the classics to feel like more of an anime snob. Being free is often more enjoyable.
Mar 30, 2023 7:46 PM

Aug 2016
Basically most of what I watched is a roadmap to serve as motivation
Mar 31, 2023 5:52 PM

Mar 2017
My strategy varies. Sometimes I'll pick the oldest anime, or the one that's been on my PTW the longest. The last couple of months I've been largely focusing on finishing stuff from recent seasons that I hadn't gotten around to watching yet, but I'm down to only a few left to clear everything from the last year that's finished airing.

I'm working toward getting my PTW under a hundred, at least the FA portion if not the total (a few months ago the total was about 185). At this writing my PTW stands at 150. The FA/CA/NYA breakdown is 124/1/25.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Mar 31, 2023 9:03 PM

Mar 2021
My road map is to not watch anime but rather watch some high quality human films/movies
Apr 1, 2023 10:55 AM

Dec 2021
i have a roadmap for watching the gundam franchise but that's about it
"Tits don't make the woman. It's the ass." - Darx
Apr 1, 2023 12:27 PM

Sep 2007
tchitchouan said:
No i don't have a roadmap for watching anime, i just watch whatever i want whenever i feel like it.
Same here, even if I'm binging as long a I have time and motivation to watch anime.
Apr 2, 2023 5:24 AM

Jul 2007
Not really a 'roadmap', but definitely an idea of what i plan to watch next. Currently watching most, if not all, of the shows i put on hold the last couple of years. After that i'm probably continuing some franchises i still need to watch some seasons for like the Monogatari series and latest season for Attack on Titan.
Apr 2, 2023 5:32 AM

Apr 2016
No roadmap. Last year I actually watched more anime in theaters than at home (so not a lot at all). This year I've already watched more anime than the entire last year combined (yet still not as much as some other years). However it happens, it happens.
Apr 8, 2023 5:55 PM

Oct 2022
I only make a plan when I get close to one of my milestones, which occurs every 50 anime I watch. Other than that, nope. I just start whatever I'm interested in at the moment or a friend wants to watch with me!

𝙳𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚖𝚜 𝙰𝚛𝚎 𝙼𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚐𝚎𝚜 𝙵𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙳𝚎𝚎𝚙,

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙳𝚊𝚛𝚔𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚁𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙾𝚞𝚝 𝙸𝚗 𝙾𝚞𝚛 𝚂𝚕𝚎𝚎𝚙

𝙰𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝙼𝚎
Apr 8, 2023 6:43 PM

Jul 2020
My answer depends on the year, actually.
1980s-1990s: Studio Ghibli for kiddos
2000s: the popular shounen that were easily found on pre-legal Crunchyroll (ex. Naruto, Bleach, One Piece)
2009-2015: hiatus
2016-2017: I tried a couple of titles that broke into the mainstream and reminded me that anime existed (ex. Yuuri on Ice!!!)
2018-2019: I started looking for recommended "best shows of all time" and trying those, plus a handful of seasonals based on reviews and plots that caught my interest.
2020: ah, the pandemic started and I suddenly had a ton of free time. I loaded up my PTW with shows I'd heard about from all over (Anime Feminist, Otaku Lounge, Glorio Blog, etc.) and had several hundred to try. I went through about 100 in order of interest, plus about 5-10 seasonals every season (excepting summer, which usually has fewer seasonals that interest me and has become a time to catch up on the other streaming services that I only subscribe to in the summer). I joined MAL but had no idea that there were challenges.
2021: I realized that MAL had challenges of the yearly variety, so I signed up for it and watched according to which of my PTW fit the bill, plus 5-10 seasonals at a time.
2022: I realized that MAL had a bunch of other challenges, so I signed up for a ton of those. I'm watching shows from my PTW (at any given time, it has between 75 and 200 shows in it, which is an improvement over 2020 when it was closer to 500) that fit multiple challenges and that I'm in the mood for, plus 5-10 seasonals at a time.
2023: see above pattern.
For the last four years, it works out to between 100 and 120 a year. I don't see that pace continuing, as I'm getting through the PTW list faster than I'm adding to it.
30+ Anime Fan, And Just Happy To Be Here

Yearly Anime Challenges:

More topics from this board

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 32 minutes ago

6 by PostMahouShoujo »»
57 seconds ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

86 by Maou_heika »»
3 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

31 by Rhaelynne »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 9 hours ago

15 by Fail_Man_X »»
8 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 2 hours ago

10 by PostMahouShoujo »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.