Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 13, 2010 9:52 PM

Jun 2008
Have you read Godchild and are currently reading Black Butler?

What do you think in comparison?
Which is better or are they the same?
Jun 10, 2010 7:53 PM
Dec 2009
I haven't read much of the Kuroshitsuji Manga, though I have seen all of the Anime series; and whilst reading Godchild was quite struck by the similarities. I don't think they are overly alike, despite sharing similar themes and character backgrounds. Godchild seems to be far more dark and twisted whilst Kuroshitsuji has the kind of cutesy comedy aspect that balances things out, and the shonen-ai teasing is far less subtle.
Im not sure which I can say is 'better' but Kuro does appeal to a wider audience and is far more well-known. That being said, Godchild is what I read when Im up for something darker or I guess more mature.
Aug 16, 2010 6:11 PM
Mar 2008
As a die-hard Kuroshitsuji fan (as I have been since it's manga debut), I heard that Godchild is a good manga to read if you enjoy Kuroshitsuji. So I went to the local bookstore an bought myself a copy...Hated it. The art was definately not that great, and I must say that it lacked plot (though when I picked up the manga, I didn't realize it was a sequel to something, so I could be wrong). There is definately no comparison (to me at least). Kuroshitsuji is 100x better than Godchild
Aug 17, 2010 6:50 PM

Aug 2009
kuroSHITsuji is fanservice with bad storytelling and worthless characters. Comparing that amateur trash to the thought provoking Godchild is wrong.
ChalisJun 4, 2013 7:34 PM
Oct 9, 2010 4:58 PM
Jun 2010
From my point reading both series all the way through, and being a fan of violent supernatural centrist stories,I say they're both really good reads for very different reasons.

Godchild is definitely more sicker and demented in certain ways, considering Kaori Yuki is well known for her psychological stories. I found reading Godchild that at times there were some lack in details. But considering it's a sequel the author assumes you've read the first series, beforehand and are familiar with the characters' back story.

Artistic wise, Kuroshitsuji is probably the prettier of the two. But Godchild is far prettier than its predecessor; the Cain Series Godchild seems to focus on people a riddled with mental issues, and the relationship development between Cain and his servant. The relationship development and the secret reveal of the Cain's servant is executed well.

Kuroshitsuji's most shining moment in the manga was probably the Noah Ark's arc, probably close to the usual in Godchild. But Kuroshitsuji has an equally interesting plot, the cast of characters is interesting, and the cute humor once in a while is nice. Ciel's personality is probably one of the most enjoyable aspects of the manga. Here we have a 13 year old boy affected by his past traumas, that it has created a character who is both manipulative, intelligent, and his adolescence still shines. In genres where shounen ai is dominant, having a character like Ciel is great , from the typical innocent adorable main characters.

Both stories focus on the revenge factor, and show this theme in interesting ways.

But for me at least personally, I was hyped up to read both stories. The stories are actually pretty different, and are probably only similar because issues with the main characters, their "so called" relationship with their servants, and the gothic style used for each stories. And depending on your tastes you may like one over the other.

Godchild is the more mature version of Kuroshitsuji.
While Kuroshitsuji is the flashier, bishie filled, salad of horror genres.

So anyway I recommend to try both! Just be mentally prepared for Godchild if you are squeamish to violence and psychological problems.

Try FairyCube also!
IzzyPuffJun 9, 2014 3:55 PM
Jan 18, 2011 6:32 PM

Apr 2008
Chalis said:
kuroSHITsuji is fanservice with bad storytelling and worthless characters. Comparing that amateur trash to the thought provoking Godchild is wrong.

THIS.
Jan 31, 2011 9:27 PM

Jul 2010
Chibisah said:
Chalis said:

THIS.

^^^^^^^
That being said, I do read and enjoy Kuroshitsuji, but there is really no comparison at all between the two.
Godchild is better by miles.
Mar 8, 2011 11:18 PM

May 2009
poznati said:
Chibisah said:
Chalis said:

THIS.

^^^^^^^
That being said, I do read and enjoy Kuroshitsuji, but there is really no comparison at all between the two.
poznati said:
Chibisah said:
Chalis said:

THIS.

^^^^^^^

All that needs to be said on that part has now been.
Godchild was my very first favourite Manga and the one responsible for my hobby.
..it deserves more attention.
May 4, 2011 9:56 PM

Oct 2010
GODCHILD PWNS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 13, 2012 9:02 AM

Apr 2011
Count Cain/God Child's superiority is unquestionable.
Aug 31, 2013 10:14 PM

Jun 2013
Godchild will probably be my favorite manga of all time. I enjoy Kuroshitsuji for what it is, but there's really no comparison.
Dec 6, 2013 10:54 AM

Aug 2011
I love Kuroshitsuji, it's one of my favorite stories.
Way better than animated version. Both story and drawing style are great :D

It was a bit difficult for me to start reading Cain Series, because I disliked original drawing style. But, by the time I was at 25. chapter it started to get more interesting. Also drawing style improved. It's very good. :)

Both stories have something to offer and are uniqe in ther own way. So I have to recommed both to thos who plan on reading them :)
Jan 17, 2014 8:39 AM

Aug 2011
The relationships between the two MCs are similar, as are the time periods both of the series are set in, but that's where the comparisons stop for me.

I'm a big fan of Kuroshitsuji, but it ain't got nothin' on Godchild.

Feb 4, 2014 1:09 PM

Apr 2010
Well.. I heard that Godchild did influence to Kuroshitsuji's and Pandora Heart's authors and that they ''copied'' their story from Godchild. Thats what i heard at least... So yeah, Godchild is better
May 20, 2014 8:15 AM

Aug 2007
Tekakurika said:
Well.. I heard that Godchild did influence to Kuroshitsuji's and Pandora Heart's authors and that they ''copied'' their story from Godchild. Thats what i heard at least... So yeah, Godchild is better

The only thing remotely similar in Pandora Hearts is the fact that it's a Victorian-esque setting. Other than than, it has fantasy elements and is a completely different story with absolutely no plot points bearing any resemblances... As for Kuroshitsuji, I would say it was definitely influenced by Godchild, but more light-hearted at times.
Jun 9, 2014 3:56 PM
Jun 2010
Tsindria said:
The relationships between the two MCs are similar, as are the time periods both of the series are set in, but that's where the comparisons stop for me.

I'm a big fan of Kuroshitsuji, but it ain't got nothin' on Godchild.
bwahahachick said:
Tekakurika said:

The only thing remotely similar in Pandora Hearts is the fact that it's a Victorian-esque setting. Other than than, it has fantasy elements and is a completely different story with absolutely no plot points bearing any resemblances... As for Kuroshitsuji, I would say it was definitely influenced by Godchild, but more light-hearted at times.

I would have to agree! But I still like both of the series equally.
May 25, 2021 1:58 PM
Dec 2017
both is good as one another.

More topics from this board

Poll: » God Child Chapter 48 Discussion

TitanInsane - Jan 18, 2022

2 by MibuKyou »»
Feb 23, 2023 6:04 PM

» Overall

NEKO-est - Apr 19, 2011

2 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Nov 3, 2021 10:45 AM

Poll: » God Child Chapter 6 Discussion

FeSTiNaLeNTe - May 24, 2015

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Aug 14, 2021 10:31 AM

Poll: » God Child Chapter 5 Discussion

FeSTiNaLeNTe - May 24, 2015

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Aug 14, 2021 10:30 AM

Poll: » God Child Chapter 4 Discussion

FeSTiNaLeNTe - Apr 22, 2015

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Aug 14, 2021 10:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.