Forum Settings
Forums

What is your favorite character development?

New
Mar 26, 2023 12:49 PM
Jun 2021
I would say Thorfinn from Vinland Saga.
In the first story arc, he is a very one-dimensional character driven only by revenge. But then comes the Slave arc and goes through huge changes.
His whole outlook on life changes, and later he will do everything possible to live accordingly. There were moments when he was overcome with anger and almost broke his promise, but that makes him an even more realistic character. 
I could have said a lot of other characters, but right now I'd say he's my favorite in that regard. 

My top 3:
1. Thorfinn
2. Reigen Arataka
3. Vegeta
Mar 26, 2023 12:53 PM

Feb 2020
Difficult to pick one, but let's say Hagoromo Lala from Star☆Twinkle PreCure.
Mar 26, 2023 12:59 PM

Sep 2018
If I had to chose 1 Piccolo from db.  I like how he served as a dad for Gohan, and became a protag who even was good at driving at one point.  He got humanized a ton.
Mar 26, 2023 1:02 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
It's hard to tell but perhaps Youko from Juuni Kokuki, that series is stellar on that front.
Mar 26, 2023 1:03 PM

May 2019
Leina Vance from Queen'e Blade, she went from a spoiled and bratty rich girl to a full on warrior who can on take foes much bigger and stronger than her.
Mar 26, 2023 1:05 PM
Mar 2023
Shinji Ikari From Neon Genesis Evangelion and Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
Mar 26, 2023 1:09 PM

Jul 2021
White Angels Have No Wings Genre: Girls Love Themes: Psychological, School
White Angels Get No Rest Genres: Girls Love, Erotica Theme: Psychological

Time skip makes them grow up so fast.
Mar 26, 2023 1:10 PM

Jul 2015
Popp from Dragon Quest has one of the best character development in all anime.
Also, Kiana Kaslana as soon as Honkai Impact gets properly adapted.

Mar 26, 2023 1:10 PM

May 2021
shoya ishida’s character development in a silent voice might be my favourite, it definitely stands out to me even confined within the duration of a movie as opposed to characters that have the whole series to develop
Mar 26, 2023 1:17 PM

Aug 2020
Canute. I love how dude turns 180 degrees from a meek fearful puppy to Sun Tzu out of the blue.

Mar 26, 2023 1:26 PM

Jul 2020
Aoshi from Rurouni Kenshin, when he finally lets go of trying to get revenge for his Oniwaban compatriots and trying to prove that he’s stronger than Kenshin. He returns to Misao who’s been looking for him.
Mar 26, 2023 1:28 PM

Nov 2021
Talion from Shadow of war(i haven't played mordor but know the story)
Talion | The One Wiki to Rule Them All | Fandom
But seriously Yukiteru Amano form (perhaps infamous but in my opinion fine and good known anime:) future diary / mirai nikki

third picture :re:zero reddit ( [Media] Emilia & Subaru in kimono by@51senre)
Mar 26, 2023 1:54 PM

Jun 2017
Mai Valentine, how she starts off as a dirty cheater who treats everyone like dirt to a reliable ally. In reality, she's just a lonely girl at heart.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Mar 26, 2023 2:30 PM

Feb 2022
Thorfinn (Vinland saga)
Canute (Vinland saga)
[/url]
Mar 26, 2023 2:30 PM

Aug 2012
Yona from Akatsuki no Yona. She goes from this sheltered, spoiled, know nothing princess to having reality shoved in her face after her father dies and the realization that her father was a terrible ruler and trying to help out her kingdom which is in turmoil everywhere she goes. She has to mature fast and she does this all the while grieving for her father even with the reality that the kingdom is better off with him gone.
Mar 26, 2023 2:40 PM
Jun 2021
duchessliz87 said:
Yona from Akatsuki no Yona. She goes from this sheltered, spoiled, know nothing princess to having reality shoved in her face after her father dies and the realization that her father was a terrible ruler and trying to help out her kingdom which is in turmoil everywhere she goes. She has to mature fast and she does this all the while grieving for her father even with the reality that the kingdom is better off with him gone.
I was thinking about what to read next, but now I have it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Mar 26, 2023 2:42 PM
Jun 2021
Huskyhulk said:
Thorfinn (Vinland saga)
Canute (Vinland saga)
Nice taste.
Unfortunately, Canute hasn't been featured much lately.
(in manga)
HM0710Mar 26, 2023 2:46 PM
Mar 30, 2023 6:24 AM

Aug 2020
Am i the only here who's not so interested in picking "x stuff for x characters" generally speaking? But anyway here's my picks:

- Lunge, Eva (Monster)
- Hyakkimaru (Dororo)
- OPM characters
- Gundam 00 characters

Roevhaal said:
It's hard to tell but perhaps Youko from Juuni Kokuki, that series is stellar on that front.
Except the show misses the consideration part of it like Youko experienced hardships and then suddenly
. The show doesn't really have the phase where the characters think "i'm terrible, it seems i should change. Should i change? Yes I SHOULD." but instead they just screamed "I'VE CHANGED SUCKAS!!".
Mar 30, 2023 6:28 AM

May 2020
Akemi Homura
For better or worse,
Either by going so far for a person or literally becoming a devil because of it!!!

Yona
From a spoiled brat to a very capable leader!!!

Canute
From a pampered religious kid to a heartless general/leader real quick!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Mar 30, 2023 6:36 AM
Oct 2013
I had some experienced reading some manga & LN and watching a few animes and saw some glorious character dev, but there's nothing blew me away other than Rudeus development's throughout Mushoku Tensei so far.

The second one probably a cliche and uncomplicated development but the sudden change in Hajime character to being edgy and cruel in Arifureta and his gradual progress to get his humanity is also my fav.
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Mar 30, 2023 6:37 AM
Dec 2021
Basically everyone naming their famorite anime
I'll go with Arima from Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Mar 30, 2023 8:11 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
TRC_Randy said:
Am i the only here who's not so interested in picking "x stuff for x characters" generally speaking? But anyway here's my picks:

- Lunge, Eva (Monster)
- Hyakkimaru (Dororo)
- OPM characters
- Gundam 00 characters

Roevhaal said:
Except the show misses the consideration part of it like Youko experienced hardships and then suddenly
. The show doesn't really have the phase where the characters think "i'm terrible, it seems i should change. Should i change? Yes I SHOULD." but instead they just screamed "I'VE CHANGED SUCKAS!!".
Idk felt like gradual development to me. Also why are you replying to me when there are people mentioning Canute in this thread?
Mar 30, 2023 8:28 AM

Nov 2021
Thorfinn, Rei Kiriyama, Natsume and Grimmer(from monster)
Mar 30, 2023 8:56 AM

Sep 2018
Taichi Mashima, but we won't see that development animated unless Chihayafuru 4 miraculously comes out. 
Mar 30, 2023 9:09 AM

Jan 2020
1 musashi (vagabond)
2 thorfinn (vinland saga)
[font="\"lucida grande\", tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif"]                                                     [/font]
Mar 30, 2023 9:19 AM

Aug 2020
Roevhaal said:
TRC_Randy said:

- Lunge, Eva (Monster)
- Hyakkimaru (Dororo)
- OPM characters
- Gundam 00 characters

Idk felt like gradual development to me. Also why are you replying to me when there are people mentioning Canute in this thread?
Juuni Kokuki's character development is ONLY problematic in that regard at least from what i see. Canute's meanwhile is just pure nonsense which i couldn't even bother. Besides, that was long ago in s1 but with JK i'm actually watching it right now (and i'm liking it more than VS so far).
Mar 30, 2023 10:16 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
TRC_Randy said:
Roevhaal said:
Juuni Kokuki's character development is ONLY problematic in that regard at least from what i see. Canute's meanwhile is just pure nonsense which i couldn't even bother. Besides, that was long ago in s1 but with JK i'm actually watching it right now (and i'm liking it more than VS so far).
I see, that's understandable. It was a few years ago I watched Juuni Kokuki but I don't recall any such issues. Shoukei has a stellar character arc aswell imo.
Mar 30, 2023 12:12 PM

Jan 2021
Well... that easy. 

Unlimited Blade Works Archer GIF - Unlimited Blade Works Archer Fate ...

Assuming the selfish wishes of an adoptive father figure. 

The Battle of Ideals, The Hero of Justice (Archer vs Shirou) - Fate ...

Striving to become the ideal hero of justice. 

Archer Emiya vs Shirou Emiya - Fate/Stay Night "Unlimited Blade Works ...

Only for it all to backfire tremendously and you end up in a cursed existence, but one day a former fling summons this perfected ideal you back into your past and you have a chance to kill your former stupid self. 

Well that's my favourite. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 30, 2023 12:19 PM
Feb 2022
Yugam Yuji from yugami Yuji don't have friends
That manga got some insane characters and Yuji go one of the best character development U have ever seen

Also nagara from Sonny boy
The last episode sure packs a punch when you see his whole character From 1st episode.
Mar 30, 2023 12:39 PM

Jan 2011
id say Reinhard Von Lohengrahm
but Vegeta during Frieza Saga is also up there, curious both character voiced by the same seiyuu
Mar 30, 2023 1:03 PM

Aug 2018
Roevhaal said:

You're right about that. The supporting cast Suzu and Shoukei also have super interesting character arcs too that play out simultaneously alongside Youko's. It's some AAA story telling.
Mar 30, 2023 2:47 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
epidemia78 said:
Roevhaal said:

You're right about that. The supporting cast Suzu and Shoukei also have super interesting character arcs too that play out simultaneously alongside Youko's. It's some AAA story telling.
Yea that arc is probably my favourite of any anime, it's almost scary how good it is.
Apr 3, 2023 11:25 AM
Dec 2021
Everyone from Black Rock Shooter. Their problems and motives are relatable, and overcoming their stresses and restoring their friendship made for a spectacular end.

More topics from this board

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - 7 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - 39 minutes ago

5 by ColourWheel »»
4 minutes ago

» Frieren fans, let's settle for the best couple

epsilono - 1 hour ago

7 by Kushna »»
5 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

74 by MitsukiHimeka »»
22 minutes ago

» Anime characters you find attractive that many people won't agree with

IssyBoy - Apr 13

42 by mshfqtny »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.