Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 13, 2010 4:19 PM
May 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
good episode, I like Mystery soup session at the beginning, legos, pocky, and donuts? the master is wise
May 13, 2010 6:06 PM

Aug 2009
EPIC ROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS!

-Oh my god, the title sequence was so funny when he tried to escape from Ozu and Higuchi

-Wow, we really had some screwed up animation today. From the fish head people to the "Everything turns pink around Akashi-san." My favorite was the guy who had the scrub brush and half his body was in darkness and you could only see his smile like the Cheshire cat.

-What I really liked about the episode was all the callbacks to previous episodes like the doll in Jougasaki's room, the snapshot of Higuchi riding Watashi's bike from episode 3, and my favorite, "I wanted to set some fireworks on these couples, but I get the feeling I did that already." :D

-Ozu, you backstabbing troll. I figured he seemed too normal this episode.
May 13, 2010 9:31 PM
Jun 2008
It seem Watashi become a student of the Higuchi,or maybe I should say he just buying a brush for his daily chore....
I am amazed that the fortune teller remember him but he doesn't remember her.I think Watahsi just force to stuck with the fate for the rest of his life.
1000....2000....3000.....4000yen..Well I guess I will be stupid if i can't guess how much she will charge him for next episode.
(sigh) don't really understand the ending....but at least he still blame Ozu again in this episode

After rewatching,I think Watashi's mistake is buying that brush?...but I wonder who gave him the money?Why he think following him can get him "rosy life"?The only phrase that I found which doesn't exist in the last 3 episode is the phrase where he like to speak when he met Ozu.Hahah does that makes any different?Well maybe this is the first encounter ^^...aahh who cares,waiting for next episode!!!
MorningGloryMay 14, 2010 4:02 AM
May 14, 2010 4:31 AM

Apr 2009
...I can't even put my finger on it, but something makes this anime one of the highlights of the season for me xP
Also, no 'first contact, worst contact' this episode?
Good luck in the Proxy War, bro xD Ozu is gonna wipe the floor with you, ahaha. (Then again, being with the little kappa for two years must have upped Watashi's prankster rank.)
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
May 14, 2010 4:34 AM

Aug 2009
Cenedess said:

I know! That's one of my favorite repeats!
May 14, 2010 5:00 AM
Jun 2008
garfield15 said:
Cenedess said:

I know! That's one of my favorite repeats!
It makes me feel every episode is the last episode except this episode.....or vice versa
May 14, 2010 6:18 AM
May 2010
The Van der Waals force!!! this seems to mean that the brush melts dirt away at a subatomic level, I guess u wouldn't need detergent

are they in Kappabashi looking for the brush? Plastic food is key

the money from the bike race...
born2badoredMay 14, 2010 6:49 AM
May 14, 2010 10:06 AM

Jun 2008
Cenedess said:

Haha, I missed that one too.

Watashi continues to be stubborn, just blaming circumstances, but above all, he lacks passion, even if he puts effort, like he did on the previous episode. He just doesn't know what to do, and even when he does something, he misses to get the point because he can't reconcile with his own mindset.

On the other hand, I still can't see Ozu as an evil presence. He's more of a catalyst, trying to make Watashi discover his own nature through bribery, mischief and treason. His youkai appearance fits him well, then.

I'm still amazed at how clever the execution is.
May 14, 2010 3:18 PM

Jun 2009
it's weird animation style, but i still like it anyway, which is a compliment from me

this episode was an ok one, still repitive, but i liked the last few ones too. and there was no first contact, worst conatact this time :(
May 14, 2010 5:07 PM
Dec 2007
Masaaki Yuasa is God.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 14, 2010 8:00 PM

Nov 2008
So we now know that Ozu is an Engineering student. That explains his behavior... <g>

But we still don't know what the Protagonist is studying (or, not studying, as seems to be the case).

It is strange, never-the-less, to be entertained by listening to the Protagonist bitch and whine episode after episode.
May 15, 2010 4:24 AM

May 2007
Just watched episode 04 but I thought it felt weak compared to the previous 3 episodes imo. However, I still enjoy this series and its nice to have a little background information on the secondary characters, namely Higuchi and Jougasaki being friends but turning into rivals over their love for Ryouko-chan (aka Ryouko Hanuki)......well, that was the impression I got but I could be wrong as well. ;) It seems like after the "epic" battle....

Still no real development between the male lead and Akashi-san and idea of moving forward has escaped our protagonist's mind once again instead getting distracted and tangled in other's affairs. ;)
JCDRANZERMay 15, 2010 4:28 AM
May 15, 2010 8:46 AM

Nov 2009
So we got another clock rewind... Damn it Watashi just return the darn doll already! >.<
So Higuchi still had the money from winning the race, or he won it again? Who knows. We can not say for certain that all this background information retains itself over each episode.
dbaranyi said:
It is strange, never-the-less, to be entertained by listening to the Protagonist bitch and whine episode after episode.

Yes. Yes it is. ^.^
May 15, 2010 2:27 PM

Dec 2007
This anime is simply perfect.
May 15, 2010 7:46 PM
Jun 2008
I think its clear that the anime has a circular story, but I also think that the characters too go in a circle. Every character introduced who had some significance is seen in a different light with each episode, but if it is in fact circular, they will end up where they begin, or rather would have always been the same, just showing different sides of them more in one episode and less in others. We saw Ozu going from friend to foe, but this may not be the case necessarily - in ep. 3 we see him looking at Watashi's door with the coat but it isn't shown what his business is, and in this episode the bag with money may be in fact left from Ozu (we haven't seen any other character go in Watashi's apartment ever),just Yuasa isn't showing it so that it can be emphasized on every aspect of their personality, but they're real selves are the one introduced first. And that's why the character with the least development is Watashi, because we see everything from his point of view and he can't see the small changes with himself.

And wile we as viewers want to see Watashi give the doll back to Akashi, I don't think will be enough to end the circle (for Akashi to choose Watashi over Ozu). For these last episodes Watashi doesn't return the doll because he is not sure if he want's to advance with Akashi or seek other girls and lifestyle. And I think first we should see the change where he has completely made his mind that he wants Akashi (and realize that its not Ozu to blame for his failings, but himself) for him to return the doll, and like I said it won't be enough and then will come the surprising ending. At least that's what I think, but I may be looking too hard into things...
Wind_FalconMay 17, 2015 8:44 AM
May 15, 2010 9:02 PM

Dec 2009
The only thing I liked in this episode was the song about circles and triangles....

The rest was boring. In episodes 2 and 3, the repetitions seemed clever and mysterious, but at this point they are getting tired. (It's good that the interaction with the fortune teller was abbreviated....) I would like to see a development at some point, but I don't really feel like any of the characters are changing. There is not really any sense of tension building either.... It really does feel like this could go on and on forever. Maybe that's the point, but I hope not.
May 16, 2010 3:21 PM

May 2007
Who's read the novel ?
May 16, 2010 6:00 PM

Jun 2009
JCDRANZER said:
Who's read the novel ?

I have.
Any questions?
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
May 17, 2010 9:30 AM
May 17, 2010 9:50 AM

Jan 2010
This is becoming my favorite Masaaki Yuasa anime, it'll surpass Kemonozume and Kaiba.
May 17, 2010 1:01 PM

Aug 2009
grklein said:
This is becoming my favorite Masaaki Yuasa anime, it'll surpass Kemonozume and Kaiba.

NOTHING SURPASSES KAIBA :P

But it is up there. (I should really watch Kemonozume sometime)
May 18, 2010 1:49 PM

May 2008
Another hilarious episode, I've already gotten used to the fast speaking (or reading) so I'm quite enjoying this right now. I wonder what kind of ending will this get...
Ozu still gives me the creeps~~
Jun 4, 2010 11:49 AM

Feb 2009
This episode had a completely different feel from the previous 3. Very limited Ozu interaction in this one. No mention of the black thread, nor how no matter how he struggles, he'll always end up the same, comparison to a disgusting creature with the reply of "you say some mean things."

It's a good change of pace, though. Constantly repeating the same format with only changes to the club that is joined could cause it to become stale, so it's good to see a change now and then.
Is there another word for synonym?
Jun 4, 2010 1:00 PM

Jan 2010
proxy proxy proxy proxy proxy proxy proxy proxy proxy proxy proxy proxy war, rofl
Jun 13, 2010 2:56 AM

Sep 2008
Mmmm Hanuki is such a lovely woman....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2010 12:11 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
We're getting closer to him grabbing the opportunity that's dangling in front of him! \o/
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 2, 2010 9:59 AM

Feb 2010
Loved the awesome triangle x circle song xD
For me the most entertaining episode so far. But not much story development yet ^^
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 8, 2010 9:11 PM

May 2010
average episode.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 14, 2010 1:16 PM

Feb 2010
If the Master's song confuses you, remember that a triangle is the simplest polygon in the Euclidean plane. As you move from triangle > square > pentagon and onward, your shape becomes closer to a circle:

The song loses sense as it progresses ("The world tends to 4 sides, 4 faces, 5 sides, 6 sides, turkey") but the theme of finding completeness rings clear ("Search for the circle...")

If nothing else, his quirky song made me smile :)
Jan 11, 2012 10:32 AM

Apr 2009
Watashi became god guy's discpile of some kind, and for the first time he had a bad premonition about joining instead of thinking it's going to be all roses. He could be somehow developing but on the other hand it's more likely just because the club doesn't really offer any opportunities for romance he's looking for even through his delusions. Even Akashi and a new female character are his disciples. The latter is weird and might have some kind of connection to the mystery of castella?

The connection between the god guy and the film club leader became pretty obvious already when it was pointed out he was a failure student in his 8th year, same as film club president. They seem to also have had a love triangle. Maybe it's somehow vaguely similar to that of Ozu, Watashi and Akashi, and maybe they even had the same roles to each other in the past since they were proxies of opposing sides. But after that anticlimatic 'battle' I'm just even more confused about all characters' motivations. And still blaming Ozu for this outcome although from what we saw he didn't play much of a role.

The proxy war with forgotten meaning is also similar to one of the movies from episode 2, but that's probably nothing important.

I wonder how many of those relationshops have been the same as in other timelines but not shown? At least the proxy was was probably going on since it started over 2 years ago.

Random musical number, yey.

Still no idea what's the connection between the opportunity and that doll. I hope it'll be explained simply enough for me to understand eventually.
Jun 24, 2012 11:47 AM

Nov 2011
Proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy-proxy.

LOL.
Aug 6, 2012 5:09 PM

Apr 2012
Mystery soup segment was interesting - especially the god guy just grabbing the moon with his chopsticks and adding it nonchalantly to his bowl. It was nice to see more of his character.

Also, random musical number from the Master was good too. Who wouldn't want to be that guy's disciple?
Sep 20, 2012 11:08 AM

Sep 2008
This episode was fine but much worse than the previous three. It's starting to get off the point, I think, especially the characters and their roles. 4/5
Oct 23, 2012 4:51 PM
Jan 2012
I loved that random music.
Nov 28, 2012 5:50 PM

Mar 2012
I lol'd at the random Kyoto Sanga flag.
Jul 6, 2013 7:38 AM

May 2012
Pretty weird episode, but well lets see what's next!
Jul 8, 2013 7:44 PM

Oct 2012
Interesting. I wonder how it will all tie together.
Jul 17, 2013 4:13 PM

Jul 2009
interesting stuff, but it was kinda slow compared to the other episodes.

lovely Akashi :)

at least we got some Hanuki screen time :)

poor Watashi, spending 2 years just to decide who wins the jan ken po :P

hope to see a more fast pacing in the next episode :)
Sep 13, 2013 9:26 AM

Dec 2012
If this show doesn't end with a happy ending between Watashi & Akashi...
Apr 21, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2010
the song that master sang was beautiful imo
Jul 30, 2014 10:02 PM

Nov 2012
Been thinking ever since the thing with the cake,but I think there's more than one Watashi in the same timeline/universe.Maybe the universes are crossing over?

Like the song this episode.
Nov 10, 2014 8:25 AM

Jun 2009
what a fucken episode, who thinks of this shit? rofl.
Nov 21, 2014 8:21 AM

Nov 2012
whats the title of the song played by master?
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Dec 31, 2014 2:41 PM

Nov 2012
Nice song.
Feb 21, 2015 6:18 AM

Dec 2013
Well this anime is crazy. The time warps are getting annoying - I want this explained.
Mar 5, 2015 11:23 PM

Dec 2013
Higuchi FTW

Ozu just keeps being Ozu lol
Mar 24, 2015 10:16 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Worst episode yet, i couldn't put my finger on it what Watashi did wrong this time. I hope, it doesn't continue like that.
May 2, 2015 5:00 AM
Nov 2014
This episode was the weakest one so far, but damn the master can SING :)
May 4, 2015 1:41 PM

Feb 2015
Still a good episode but i enjoyed the other 3 more Ozu still being a troll.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2015 7:15 AM
May 2012
This episode was pretty different from the previous ones.
I hope the romance develops.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 12, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

controlmajortom - May 6, 2010

127 by blinddig »»
Apr 10, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

151 by MalcomHater »»
Mar 23, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Jun 24, 2010

133 by DgenxZ »»
Oct 21, 2023 5:16 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ESSWHY - Apr 22, 2010

331 by danger-_- »»
Oct 10, 2023 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.