Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2023 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
Every time I go to quote someone it automatically scrolls to the bottom of the page  but there is nothing in the text box, I then have to scroll to find the comment again and quote it again for it to work.

Is this working as intended as it's not the biggest problem in the world but it's a bit annoying.

Also using Chrome if that means anything

removed-userMar 20, 2023 5:31 PM
Mar 20, 2023 4:30 PM

Feb 2010
@xTaihou
Hmm I was gonna say the jarring swing to the bottom is normal, but I just noticed you said nothing is the in the text box- that's not normal. When I quote it always quotes the text on my first try. I don't believe I've heard of that glitch.

Maybe it's an extension in Chrome causing this- I would try to see if you quote normally in another browser without extensions (Firefox is good and fast). Then you could remove extensions one by one in Chrome until you find what one causes the issue, if that's the problem.
Shishio-kunMar 20, 2023 4:35 PM
Mar 20, 2023 4:33 PM

Sep 2010
Happens for me too all the time and it's pretty random. Quote selected text almost never works. Also if there's a link or button behind the popup it goes there instead.
Mar 20, 2023 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
@shishio-kun

And then you find the comment again to quote it and it doesn't even scroll. It definitely must be broken. I myself don't mind where the reply box itself is (though it would be nice to have it under the comment), I just would just like the function to work as intended
Mar 20, 2023 4:36 PM

Feb 2010
xTaihou said:
@shishio-kun

And then you find the comment again to quote it and it doesn't even scroll. It definitely must be broken. I myself don't mind where the reply box itself is (though it would be nice to have it under the comment), I just would just like the function to work as intended

Whoops I updated my post too late and after you seen it, haha, I recommend:

Maybe it's an extension in Chrome causing this- I would try to see if you quote normally in another browser without extensions (Firefox is good and fast). Then you could remove extensions one by one in Chrome until you find what one causes the issue, if that's the problem. Kinda doubt that but worth a try.
Mar 20, 2023 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
Shishio-kun said:
xTaihou said:
@shishio-kun

Maybe it's an extension in Chrome causing this- I would try to see if you quote normally in another browser without extensions (Firefox is good and fast). Then you could remove extensions one by one in Chrome until you find what one causes the issue, if that's the problem. Kinda doubt that but worth a try.
Shishio-kun said:
xTaihou said:
@shishio-kun

Still no luck unfortunately, tested fire fox and removed all extentions on chrome and still broken
Mar 20, 2023 4:57 PM

May 2020
Happens too me all the time too!!!

& not just that,

When quoting someone,
They put your input field in the quote instead of outside of it!!!

& not just that!!!

Copy pasting something kills the line spacing!!!

For example!!!

^^If i copy pasted this message,

All the line spacing will be gone & this will just be written in a single paragraph instead of separate parts like the way i intended it to be written!!!

Some encoder here fucked this shit up thats for sure since i never encountered these problems until few months ago!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Mar 20, 2023 4:58 PM

Sep 2018
xTaihou said:
Every time I go to quote someone it automatically scrolls to the bottom of the page  but there is nothing in the text box, I then have to scroll to find the comment again and quote it again for it to work.

Is this working as intended as it's not the biggest problem in the world but it's a bit annoying.

Also using Chrome if that means anything
I had this happen a lot too, but that might be since I use the desktop site on my android though it worked for me 1st time when I just tried it.
Mar 20, 2023 5:06 PM

Feb 2010
xTaihou said:
Shishio-kun said:

Shishio-kun said:

Still no luck unfortunately, tested fire fox and removed all extentions on chrome and still broken

Well that's weird, I guess it's another bug to throw onto the pile! 😁 Personally I've never seen it, but if you want to help possibly narrow down the cause, the next few times it happens you can document the post # and pages and leave that info here. Then that might lead some clue as to why, maybe it's a particular forum or threads with a certain kind of content. Many times I've reported bugs with that kind of info that helps narrow it down and then they usually get fixed.
Mar 20, 2023 5:09 PM

Feb 2010
Hitagi__Furude said:
Happens too me all the time too!!!

& not just that,

When quoting someone,
They put your input field in the quote instead of outside of it!!!

& not just that!!!

Copy pasting something kills the line spacing!!!

For example!!!

^^If i copy pasted this message,

All the line spacing will be gone & this will just be written in a single paragraph instead of separate parts like the way i intended it to be written!!!

Some encoder here fucked this shit up thats for sure since i never encountered these problems until few months ago!!!

There's many errors with the copy/pasting into the preview topic reply box, it's best to always paste into the source mode, set it with the button at the end of the toolbar. That might solve the line spacing paste problem you have
https://i.imgur.com/WD3YyyW.jpg
Mar 20, 2023 5:12 PM
Jul 2018
Shishio-kun said:
xTaihou said:

Well that's weird, I guess it's another bug to throw onto the pile! 😁 Personally I've never seen it, but if you want to help possibly narrow down the cause, the next few times it happens you can document the post # and pages and leave that info here. Then that might lead some clue as to why, maybe it's a particular forum or threads with a certain kind of content. Many times I've reported bugs with that kind of info that helps narrow it down and then they usually get fixed.
Yeah that's the thing, it every post on every page. Will have to deal with it
Mar 20, 2023 5:27 PM

Feb 2010
xTaihou said:
Shishio-kun said:

Ouch every time, then I'm sorry to hear that- what's your device/operating system? Maybe that has something to do with it as I've never seen this happen on PC/Windows 10.

You could also change the title of the thread to something like
[BUG] Quoting glitch
So they know it's an unfixed bug

@firefractal @tingy

They have a bug as stated in the OP:
"Every time I go to quote someone it automatically scrolls to the bottom of the page but there is nothing in the text box, I then have to scroll to find the comment again and quote it again for it to work"
Happens on PC w/Windows 10, and Android w/desktop mode, in multiple browsers, and doesn't seem to have anything to do with extensions. For some people its random and with OP every single time.
Shishio-kunMar 20, 2023 8:51 PM
Mar 20, 2023 5:33 PM
Jul 2018
Shishio-kun said:
xTaihou said:

Ouch every time, then I'm sorry to hear that- what's your device/operating system? Maybe that has something to do with it as I've never seen this happen on PC/Windows 10.

You could also change the title of the thread to something like
[BUG] Quoting glitch
So they know it's an unfixed bug

@firefractal @tingy
Thanks for the tip, have updated the topic

I'm just on a PC with Windows 10. Using the latest chrome version. I have also tried 2 PC's both with windows 10 and the latest version of chrome and gives the same bug
Mar 21, 2023 1:40 AM

Sep 2010
Shishio-kun said:

Why would a Javascript error have anything to do with the device or operating system? Stop giving this kind of advice if you don't know what you are talking about.
Mar 21, 2023 9:54 AM

Feb 2010
ateks said:
Shishio-kun said:

Why would a Javascript error have anything to do with the device or operating system? Stop giving this kind of advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

No one said it did or didn't, and I decline your request because asking users questions to find shared circumstances has lead to me solving problems and reproducing errors many times 😁

It's routine to get more data to help narrow things down when we don't have a clear solution or cause. It's even in flow charts used in IT support settings. More data can help find a way to reproduce the error and/or come to find what's broken. That's a key thing you're missing. It's paid off here many times too. It's why I also asked for post #s or pages with the error. But more importantly, sites are viewed differently from device to device. For example with the recent signature issue, it sounded like it was mobile only. Knowing something is mobile only can be very important. I've even seen region-specific cable companies cause problems and I wouldn't have known that or found the solution without getting more info from the users. That additional info on user circumstances might seem pointless to you but I've found sometimes it isn't, that's why it's routine to collect more data sometimes. I hope that makes things clear.

Also me asking questions like that is not me giving advice. I think there's a lot of misunderstandings on your part here.

And wait a minute, I just realized I overlooked the most obvious thing: we would also want to make sure we use similar devices/browsers if we are trying to reproduce the error so we can identify it in the first place and make sure its even the same one! This was another reason we had to start asking for details like this in the first place lol.
Shishio-kunMar 21, 2023 11:50 AM
Mar 21, 2023 10:35 AM
(=^・ェ・^=)

Nov 2013
xTaihou said:
I'm just on a PC with Windows 10. Using the latest chrome version. I have also tried 2 PC's both with windows 10 and the latest version of chrome and gives the same bug

Thanks for reporting this bug! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce it on my Chrome browser. Could you check in your Chrome settings for the exact version number? You can find it here:

Also, are you using the "Quote" button in the bottom right corner of the post, or the "Quote Reply" button that pops up when you highlight a piece of text?

And are you using the BBCode editor in visual mode (displays formatted text) or source mode (displays BBCode)?

Mar 21, 2023 11:41 AM

Feb 2010
@firefractal I saw the glitch once just now with the blue quote reply button, but I haven't been able to recreate it since anywhere else even in other browsers and test accounts. I've never seen it with the normal quote button, which I use all the time. This is actually the first I've heard of this issue.

Opera GX
version is LVL 4 (core: 96.0.4693.59)

I also had it in source code mode
Shishio-kunMar 21, 2023 11:46 AM
Mar 21, 2023 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
firefractal said:
xTaihou said:

Thanks for reporting this bug! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce it on my Chrome browser. Could you check in your Chrome settings for the exact version number? You can find it here:

Also, are you using the "Quote" button in the bottom right corner of the post, or the "Quote Reply" button that pops up when you highlight a piece of text?

And are you using the BBCode editor in visual mode (displays formatted text) or source mode (displays BBCode)?
My Chrome version the same as your image (I can't copy and paste it screws everything up)
I use the the quote button on the bottom of the post, I didn't know about the highlight quote feature
I use BB editor in Visual Mode

I seem to have found a tiny fix which is every page I load into I have to refresh it then I can quote properly
Mar 21, 2023 9:24 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Yeah, the quoting not working occasionally happens to me too. Glad to see it's not my computer or anything haha.

More topics from this board

» Backup

Vapor_AU - 9 hours ago

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3368 by L2Dragon »»
11 hours ago

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

125 by traed »»
Yesterday, 4:53 PM

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Apr 23, 3:52 AM

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - Apr 23

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
Apr 23, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.