Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 21, 2023 2:14 AM

Jul 2020
7.45 is criminally low. Especially here on MAL where most things decent gets an 8 or above. 

Yeah, people are biased. They forget how janky the OG Trigun was. OG Trigun had modest animation, multiple less-than-perfect episodes, barely any Knives, and a soundtrack that was poorly produced and rough round the edges. Yes, we all love Scattered Rain, but the OG soundtrack as whole wasn't all that. I will always love the OG, but the way people are putting it on a pedestal is crazy. 

Stampede is kind of revolutionizing CG animation in real time. The score is absolutely insane, and Knives' character is way better handled. 

But what I love the most, is that Stampede distinguishes itself so much from the OG that we now have two great Trigun shows. I hope people will come around on Stampede, because Studio Orange is doing gods work right now. 

Mar 21, 2023 2:50 AM

May 2021
Hyperbolism said:

Stampede is kind of revolutionizing CG animation in real time. The score is absolutely insane, and Knives' character is way better handled. 
The score goes absolutely hard. It's crazy that not more people are talking about it

NOT DEAD YET

Mar 21, 2023 7:33 AM
Jul 2019
OG soundtrack wins by a mile. Fits the aesthetic of the world so perfectly & is just amazing in general. Stampede takes place in a different world of course, but don’t think the ost embodies the setting the way the OG did. The blues & jazz mixes are so slick & wash over you with a torrent of emotions.
Mar 24, 2023 4:09 AM

Oct 2013
Hyperbolism said:
7.45 is criminally low. Especially here on MAL where most things decent gets an 8 or above. 

Yeah, people are biased. They forget how janky the OG Trigun was. OG Trigun had modest animation, multiple less-than-perfect episodes, barely any Knives, and a soundtrack that was poorly produced and rough round the edges. Yes, we all love Scattered Rain, but the OG soundtrack as whole wasn't all that. I will always love the OG, but the way people are putting it on a pedestal is crazy. 

But what I love the most, is that Stampede distinguishes itself so much from the OG that we now have two great Trigun shows. I hope people will come around on Stampede, because Studio Orange is doing gods work right now. 

Yeah, although it can't be helped. You could see folks ferociously hating on Trigun Stampede before even the very first episode came out. When you see arguments like "muh waifu Milly is not there", "muh childhood cartoon better", "why not 1:1 manga adaptation", "Zoomer haircut Vash, oh nooo" repeated over and over again, like a mantra of some sort, before the show's premiere, you know that you are looking at potential haters and downvoters of the discussed series.

Out of my friends to whom I recommended watching Trigun Stampede, most of them are enjoying the show so far. What's more, many of them are simply loving it for its atmosphere, visuals and the story told in it. Some of my friends of course stumbled upon excessively negative opinions about this anime. I told them about how possibly the comments they had read were written by haters. I was not wrong, in the end. After they showed me several of these comments, they were typical hate posting. Some of my friends even laughed at them themselves, on how overexaggerated they were. I'm talking here about those who were familiar with the old Trigun anime before starting watching Trigun Stampede, and were aware that the new anime project was not to be a faithful adaptation of the source material, but rather anime reboot inspired by it.

Trigun anime was fun to watch, despite some cons it had, but it was not a perfect adaptation of the source material. Leaving the production quality aside, Trigun had its own share of underwhelming elements, like any other piece of media. Don't get me wrong: it was okay for the times during which Trigun anime was created, but still it wasn't as good as people say it was, if compared to many other shows produced back in the 1990s.
Anyway, long story short, to mention just few of them: characters seeming to act differently in the manga, fillers... and of course anime original conclusion to the story. Sane person won't mention it, because there was a reason to go with such content, but come on. We can either fairly compare two shows, or end up as biased hypocrites. I can say what I didn't like so far in Trigun Stampede without relying on "my waifu Milly is not in the anime" or "old good, new bad" type of arguments. ;p If someone bashes Trigun Stampede for not being faithful to the manga, then it'd be wise to use the same criteria while talking about the old anime as well, eh?

People tend to romanticize things they have experienced during their childhood times, and younger generations might follow their example and start to romanticize exactly the same shows, because "it'd be in bad taste to not like it". Hence we might have a lot of people simply passing on watching Trigun Stampede. Just because a vocal part of haters might present it as one of the worst shows ever made.
AdnashMar 24, 2023 4:18 AM
Mar 25, 2023 7:16 PM
Jul 2022
justhuman22 said:
I watched the original series, so the changes put a sour taste in my mouth from the start, but I still gave the whole first episode a shot. And. I just didn’t like it. I didn’t like several of the story beats of the episode and I didn’t like how some of the characters were characterized. I am not a huge fan of CGI animation and prefer traditional, but that alone isn’t enough to make me dislike a show. It just didn’t feel right for me and makes me want to just read the original manga instead to get the story that way (since I know it is a bit different than the original anime). There are clearly a lot of people that enjoy this version of Trigun, so it can’t be a bad show, but it does feel bad to me personally. If you haven’t seen the original then you don’t have anything to compare it to and I think have a better chance of enjoying it.
Man I agree with you entirely. I just wish cel animation could come back.
Mar 25, 2023 7:52 PM
Feb 2017
I've never seen the original, but just finished Stampede. I'm cautious on CGI, I've seen it used well and not so well. So with an unbiased opinion, I just thought these 12 eps were sorta interesting, but I can't rate it higher than a 6 (ouch, I know) because I ended up so..bored. It felt like it had something special about it that wanted to peek out, but I never got emotionally attached. It felt predictable and simple? I see people saying it was objectively an improvement, which I can't attest to, but on its own, my bottom line was just 'eh okay'. I wouldn't tell a friend to watch it. I'm picky, though. Just wanted to answer the original topic title. I wouldn't call Stampede 'bad', just 'eh'. It had a few wow moments but they were all in the first half of the show for me.
Mar 25, 2023 11:43 PM

Sep 2013
nostalgia is dangerous.
it making people cling to it and put it in the pedestal and thinking it's above anyting else.
the right mind to watch a retelling like this (live action included) is to stop comparing it too much to original source (especially in trigun case since we already have a manga and anime adaptation way back then. This is obviously a new perspective of retelling the old story).

Why we can't appreciate have two great shows?
twilightbrigadeMar 25, 2023 11:55 PM
Mar 25, 2023 11:52 PM

Sep 2013
Adnash said:
People tend to romanticize things they have experienced during their childhood times, and younger generations might follow their example and start to romanticize exactly the same shows, because "it'd be in bad taste to not like it". Hence we might have a lot of people simply passing on watching Trigun Stampede. Just because a vocal part of haters might present it as one of the worst shows ever made.
THIS.
people often romanticizing the show too much they thought the show was much better than it supposed to
Mar 26, 2023 12:35 AM

Sep 2015
I really do think most of the haters are like, high on nostalgia for the OG show, or just completely unwilling to give CG a chance. And both are a shame because the show really is good.

I went into Tristamp without watching the 98 show, and I was really surprised at how much I liked it. I've already watched it twice and am starting a third, and I usually don't rewatch stuff. I watched the 98 show after I think 10 episodes of Tristamp? since that's all that was out at the time, and I gotta say, I didn't actually like it very much. Maybe my expectations were too high from the pedestal it was put on, but it really wasn't that interesting. I was waiting for it to "get good" up until the last episode lmao. It got really boring at times, the perv humor and shoved in het romance sucked, and I was disappointed in the lack of sci-fi and cool plant stuff. In terms of animation, voice acting, soundtrack, and story, I'm of the firm opinion that Tristamp has it beat.

I also took over 80 screenshots of Tristamp Vash cuz he just always looks so good LOL. And maybe I'm just a zoomer, but I like his redesigned hair better.
smol_burritoMar 26, 2023 12:52 AM
Mar 26, 2023 3:22 PM
Jul 2022
The writing in this show doesn't seem as strong as in the original. It's really not nostalgia.
Mar 26, 2023 10:46 PM
Jan 2023
minix_animade said:
The writing in this show doesn't seem as strong as in the original. It's really not nostalgia.
It's not as strong cause its written even better. It's a culmination of the diff mangas and OG anime along with some homage to toy variants we had back then.
This is more or less a remastered narrative for the brand as it borrows from multiple sources and lays it out in a better manner.

Most complaints i read are nitpicking about the CG and the design choices but they should have watched till the end of the season before they ran their mouth.
Mar 26, 2023 11:40 PM

Sep 2018
Now that the season has come to an end its become very clear that it was just negative bias. The show turned out to be pretty amazing.
As mentioned by others, the score is pretty criminal for just how good it ended up being.

This show started hard, and not only kept up the quality all the way, it finished with one hell of a height in animation bliss.

steroidwalnut said:
The show is really good, people are comparing it to the past iteration instead of judging it based off its own merits, if people were really fans of the series they would just be happy to get more Trigun

Well, in reality often ''fans'' arent really fans so much as obsessed with something. Someone likes a song that was made 50 years ago and says its the best song ever, and nothing could ever exceed it. That's an awful mindset to have. They should want to have many things exceed it. It means more music that they can love!

I have enjoyed thousands of pieces of media, be it novels, tv shows, anime, games, etc. Only reason I could enjoy as much as I have is because I'm excited to enjoy more things. New things. Why would I care about something I watched 20 years ago? It was amazing 20 years ago, when it mattered. But some dont feel that way. Some people rewatch one show 20 times.
I dont see the point in doing that. You typically cant relive that first experience again. And I have terrible memory at this point in my life so I really would be experiencing parts of it again as if I havent seen it before.

Real fans are people that love to have more and better versions of what they love. I'm a fan of Ys VIII. If they some day rework it as fully modern game, hell yeah if I'd love that. Obviously it would have to be done with quality and care too. But what we have seen here with Trigun Stampede goes well beyond ''quality and care''.

Its just fucking amazing how much soul Studio Orange put into this project.

minix_animade said:
That seems like gaslighting when I recall even Nightow (the mangaka) said he liked some of the things they did with the writing that he didnt suggest himself. You will need much stronger arguments if you want to claim its not nostalgia speaking.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Mar 26, 2023 11:42 PM

Jan 2021
People are obviously biased, this show is absolutely beautiful. Never thought I would like a 3D anime as much as I did.
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Mar 27, 2023 5:30 PM
Jul 2022
Elinchayiel said:
Now that the season has come to an end its become very clear that it was just negative bias. The show turned out to be pretty amazing.
As mentioned by others, the score is pretty criminal for just how good it ended up being.

This show started hard, and not only kept up the quality all the way, it finished with one hell of a height in animation bliss.

steroidwalnut said:
The show is really good, people are comparing it to the past iteration instead of judging it based off its own merits, if people were really fans of the series they would just be happy to get more Trigun

Well, in reality often ''fans'' arent really fans so much as obsessed with something. Someone likes a song that was made 50 years ago and says its the best song ever, and nothing could ever exceed it. That's an awful mindset to have. They should want to have many things exceed it. It means more music that they can love!

I have enjoyed thousands of pieces of media, be it novels, tv shows, anime, games, etc. Only reason I could enjoy as much as I have is because I'm excited to enjoy more things. New things. Why would I care about something I watched 20 years ago? It was amazing 20 years ago, when it mattered. But some dont feel that way. Some people rewatch one show 20 times.
I dont see the point in doing that. You typically cant relive that first experience again. And I have terrible memory at this point in my life so I really would be experiencing parts of it again as if I havent seen it before.

Real fans are people that love to have more and better versions of what they love. I'm a fan of Ys VIII. If they some day rework it as fully modern game, hell yeah if I'd love that. Obviously it would have to be done with quality and care too. But what we have seen here with Trigun Stampede goes well beyond ''quality and care''.

Its just fucking amazing how much soul Studio Orange put into this project.

minix_animade said:
That seems like gaslighting when I recall even Nightow (the mangaka) said he liked some of the things they did with the writing that he didnt suggest himself. You will need much stronger arguments if you want to claim its not nostalgia speaking.

I don't need "arguments". It's how I feel. I don't care if you agree.

Maybe I'll watch the rest of the show and have a different conclusion, I don't know. But I'm not sure I will.
Mar 27, 2023 9:50 PM

Oct 2013
Elinchayiel said:

This show started hard, and not only kept up the quality all the way, it finished with one hell of a height in animation bliss. (...)

I didn't want to quote your whole post, or just only ping you all of sudden, but I fully agree with what you wrote in your message. Trigun Stampede's first season was absolutely stunning in terms of quality and how it managed to come up with a reboot respecting the source material, but not resigning from creative changes or modifications done to it, while preserving following the main plot points known from the manga. By this, Trigun Stampede offers unique experience that will surely be appreciated by people new to the franchise, as well as for many fabs who had read the manga in the past (and are not biased by following the principle of "old good, new bad").

wvkv said:
There is bias against this show. If you look elsewhere on the internet, you will find a lot of haters who changed their mind after watching ep12. (They hated it blindly at first, then regretted it deeply.)

Last time I wrote here, the score was 7.42. It's now 7.79 (with around 12k ppl having completed the series) and still rising.

Yeah, I also noticed how the score increased by a significant amount. It's cool to see many people giving this series justice, and not looking at whining people who have been trying to thrash this series before even the first episode dropped.

minix_animade said:

While it's a matter of taste, I think you just might prefer more shounen-like atmosphere offered by Trigun anime from 1990s, mixing anime original concepts with adapting the very first version of Trigun manga (its pilot + Trigun). Trigun Stampede, on the other hand, offers more seinen-like experience, closer to how the story felt and was written in the source material (or to be exact: in Trigun Maximum), and also has many anime original modifications.

What I'm saying is that it's up to a person's taste which anime they prefer to watch. None is better or worse. They are just different. However, both are definitely worth of checking out.

minix_animade said:
Maybe I'll watch the rest of the show and have a different conclusion, I don't know. But I'm not sure I will.

I highly recommend watching the whole show. It's short, just one cour long, and it has amazing visuals and action scenes. So even if you won't start enjoying the writing in the end, you might still end up with having more complex opinion on the whole cour, rather than on just several episodes; and of course decide whether to give its second season a chance.
Mar 27, 2023 10:20 PM
Jul 2019
7.8 is a more fitting rating. Stampede is a fun & wild ride with fantastic visuals. It has great action & never slows down. This is a series that is one climax after another. While the character writing takes a big hit, it has some solid plotting to help make up for it. Something that’s certainly worth a watch & I’d recommend.
Mar 28, 2023 7:57 AM

May 2018
The original anime was a mediocre adaptation of an at the time unfinished and still publishing manga. Mischaracterised Vash even among other issues. The new anime seems to only like vague cliff notes of the manga and wants to speed through everything which is ironically the opposite of one of the problems with the 90s anime which took it's time too excessively. Anyway..

Stampede just took story notes that the manga did better in every regard. It seems to not like anything about Trigun aside that. Character designs, personalities (Meryl) and flat out doesn't even like characters (Milly, Crimson Nail), aesthetic, tone, etc. At least 90s version had an excuse I suppose. Literally relying on actual cliffnotes. Stampede has a great finished manga to work with and I am surprised they felt thier version would be better. I understand someone trying to do something different. But given how Trigun never got adapted faithfully to how it was I can't say I was ready in the slightest for a adaptation so drastically it's own thing.

I also want to make mention that I do not feel it is petty to take issues with design and aesthetic changes. Trigun was made up of a lot of things meshed together. You take any aspect away, I can't help but mourn the loss.

It's always the 90s anime vs this. Both feel sacred and untouchable. (In this case Stampede is a god like underdog or something. Obviously I know it's trashed on a lot by the anime boomers but still)

Imo just read the manga because both animes are wrong for different reasons and both seem misbalanced. Both understand aspects of Trigun. Not saying they're horrible but it's a damn shame that most people haven't read this series. Stampede put a halt, maybe even a perma halt, to this ever getting the adaptation it always deserved.
HassySodaMar 28, 2023 8:42 AM
Mar 28, 2023 8:29 AM

Aug 2020
...it just does not work. original show had its flaws, but honestly – like kino or lain, it was all for the character's sake.
(largely) no one remembers stories from them, – but the way the characters are depicted is burnt upon any viewer's brain.

'orange' is a good studio, they can do graphics; except that for this one it don't stand, – no matter how hard they tried, it was all destroyed by the lack of style and art-direction, blunt character design and tasteless color scheme. it just does not work, – but give you the stimulus to hate how wrong their talents were used -_-

again, i can't stand kira-like antagonists; their immatureness (those organs, for christ's sake...) сan't give a slightest basis to their actions to be believable... 'humans are evil, and nothing more,' huh? too bad, but this incarnation of vash is rather dumb too, – how would one take a look 'i love them just because love them' for real? where is the confrontation????? where is it?! where is it?! where is it?!.. it was a real challenge since ep.2 to stay focused on the story (and i couldn't).

ops and eds are boring (i still get the shivers from the original op); music is either tasteless (generic j-pop), or 'invisible;' stories that worked in the original show (like the nebraska family) are totally wasted and primitivised; i dunno what else i can say. disaster. and people are loving it...
Mar 28, 2023 12:00 PM

Sep 2018
HassySoda said:

Stampede just took story notes that the manga did better in every regard. It seems to not like anything about Trigun aside that.

HassySoda said:
Stampede put a halt, maybe even a perma halt, to this ever getting the adaptation it always deserved.

The Mangaka themselves seems to very much disagree with your points. They have made very excited and positive comments and statements regarding the show on twitter each week. So I dont know about that. But you should argue that with them I guess, not me. I havent read the manga. I'm not an expert on it.. like they are.

HassySoda said:
Stampede put a halt, maybe even a perma halt, to this ever getting the adaptation it always deserved.

But if nothing else its interesting to see this perspective. You seem to be the first person who likes the manga above the rest, that didnt like the show.
So I guess not every manga fan finds this show great, huh?

HassySoda said:
Character designs, personalities (Meryl)

HassySoda said:
flat out doesn't even like characters (Milly, Crimson Nail),

Wait, you didnt finish the show? Well I guess that might explain some of your perspective if you were basing it on early parts.

kebenaj said:
it was all destroyed by the lack of style and art-direction, blunt character design and tasteless color scheme. it just does not work, – but give you the stimulus to hate how wrong their talents were used -_-

lol. Sorry, I just had to laugh out loud. Reading this is too funny. You pretty describe pretty much the opposite of what the show's art is actually like.
But maybe I shouldnt laugh. Are you colorblind? I hadnt considered the possibility that to someone with some form of sight impairment something great looking might end up looking ugly.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Mar 28, 2023 12:11 PM

May 2018
Elinchayiel said:
HassySoda said:

Stampede just took story notes that the manga did better in every regard. It seems to not like anything about Trigun aside that.

HassySoda said:

The Mangaka themselves seems to very much disagree with your points. They have made very excited and positive comments and statements regarding the show on twitter each week. So I dont know about that. But you should argue that with them I guess, not me. I havent read the manga. I'm not an expert on it.. like they are.

HassySoda said:

But if nothing else its interesting to see this perspective. You seem to be the first person who likes the manga above the rest, that didnt like the show.

HassySoda said:

HassySoda said:

Wait, you didnt finish the show? Well I guess that might explain some of your perspective if you were basing it on early parts.

kebenaj said:
it was all destroyed by the lack of style and art-direction, blunt character design and tasteless color scheme. it just does not work, – but give you the stimulus to hate how wrong their talents were used -_-

lol. Sorry, I just had to laugh out loud. Reading this is too funny. You pretty describe pretty much the opposite of what the show's art is actually like.
But maybe I shouldnt laugh. Are you colorblind? I hadnt considered the possibility that to someone with some form of sight impairment something great looking might end up looking ugly.

I have no right to tell the original creator how to feel. I am happy he enjoys it. Everything I say is based on how I specifically feel. You are correct that I did not finish because it was really agonizing for me as much as I wanted to give it a chance. However based on what I have watched and what story notes I have seen them get to within the few amount of episodes there are, my biggest complaint does seem to be true in that it's not taking it's time enough.

As for Crimson Nail, I saw that she was in this but as a kid now? So that bothered me a tad but if there is something I don't know still regarding that then I can admit being wrong. But from what I saw it looked like she was radically transformed
Mar 28, 2023 12:24 PM

Oct 2013
Bah, it's surreal to read nowadays that the original Trigun anime's characters were actually accurate to the manga. Or at least more accurate than their versions from Trigun Stampede. Nope, they weren't. Even going by shounen-like pre-Trimax standards, many characters acted significantly different. Vash being a womanizer, Meryl tryharding to act like an ultimate tsundere... and some more stuff. Modifications done to them were more drastic than done to their Trigun Stampede's equivalents, yet many folks seem to put the original anime on a pedestal of perfect adaptation, in contrary to "awful" Stampede.

And I am aware that the manga was not finished back then, so the studio had to go with anime original scenes. Both shows have their pros and cons, and both are totally worth of watching, but come on. It's really unfair to accuse one series of having simplified characters (compared to their manga versions), but leaving behind the fact that the older series also wasn't great in that aspect.
Mar 28, 2023 12:32 PM

Sep 2018
HassySoda said:
but if there is something I don't know still regarding that

I cant specifically say that you are wrong, since I didnt see her any different from that child form. So I can only speculate when it comes to her.

However.. by the end its confirmed that the story is kind of a semi-prequel. So the lack of time spend on (certain) characters background is something the show still has a lot of time to remedy in its future seasons.

Some characters that arent the Crimson Nail get a character design make-over by the end.
And there are references to or short appearances of characters that otherwise havent been seen in the show at that point.
So while I can't say whether thats also true for her, but it wouldnt surprise me if in season 2 she looks more similar to what you were expecting in the first place.

Like this guy:

If you want more specifics: (ending/epilogue spoilers, so only read if you didnt already get convinced by Mr. Spikey Hair.)

Otherwise without further spoilers, suffice to say what happens in the last 2 episodes convinced a lot of other manga readers to rate this show a lot higher then they did before. Honestly even if you end up not enjoying the show as a whole much, I'd say you deserve it to yourself (yes deserve, not owe, haha) to watch those episodes. They are pretty crazy.

Maybe they wont make you love the show. But I think they should atleast give you a better appreciation of the show in its own right, and its ties to the manga.
Mar 28, 2023 12:50 PM

Jan 2013
The ratings weren't even that bad in the beginning of March, but obviously some people are biased and some just can't deal with CGI.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 28, 2023 1:14 PM
Jan 2020
I've watched both original Trigun and Trigun Stampede and I loved both. They are both different amazing stories, written according to the generations they're made to impress.

It is possible to enjoy both without weeping like some anime annoying ass fans do.
Mar 28, 2023 2:59 PM
Jul 2019
Elinchayiel said:
HassySoda said:

HassySoda said:

HassySoda said:

HassySoda said:

HassySoda said:

kebenaj said:

I like the manga the most out of the Trigun media, and while I liked Stampede a lot, I would call it good, but not great.
Mar 28, 2023 9:23 PM
Jul 2022

Jackalinthebox said:
Elinchayiel said:

I like the manga the most out of the Trigun media, and while I liked Stampede a lot, I would call it good, but not great.

I mean og Trigun is still plenty seinen, just towards the end. It's a mix between shonen/seinen.
Mar 28, 2023 9:39 PM

Oct 2013
winkloveskira said:
I've watched both original Trigun and Trigun Stampede and I loved both. They are both different amazing stories, written according to the generations they're made to impress.

It is possible to enjoy both without weeping like some anime annoying ass fans do.
This. Both shows are different, but both are definitely worth of checking out, since they are very solid pieces of anime. Sure, one can not like one of them or even everything Trigun-related. It's a matter of taste and preference, after all. However, ranting on the Internet about whether this or that anime project is better, while both of them are so much different from each other, is just plain silly.
Apr 5, 2023 9:29 AM
Jul 2022
Adnash said:
winkloveskira said:

This. Both shows are different, but both are definitely worth of checking out, since they are very solid pieces of anime. Sure, one can not like one of them or even everything Trigun-related. It's a matter of taste and preference, after all. However, ranting on the Internet about whether this or that anime project is better, while both of them are so much different from each other, is just plain silly.

Based.
I just hope that the 98 one doesn't get left in the dust. People call it dated just because it uses cel animation which is really silly.
Apr 9, 2023 11:00 PM

Oct 2008
It's current score, is based on exactly what you said.
So after a few months, the new fans will overwhelm the elitists and maybe it's score will rise.
Personally I watched the original recently, in preparation for "Stampede". So I liked the original, I'm not a fan of 3D and the 2023 Vash is somewhat inferior to the original. With all that said, I liked "Trigun Stampede", as much as the original "Trigun".
The story was decent, the 3D was not good, but average, THE 5/10 type of average. Only the new Vash continued to annoy me, to the bitter end.
As I'm a critical person and borderline elitist, I rated both versions a 7/10.
Apr 28, 2023 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I watched "Trigun" (1998) and now I watched "Trigun Stampede" (2023).
I like comedy genre, so I enjoyed "Trigun", but "Trigun Stampede"  has VERY little comedy and is much more dark, so it was a turn-off for me.
"Trigun Stampede" is full CG. In general I don't like CG anime, but "Appleseed" was a good exception, so I kept watching "Trigun Stampede". In the end I liked this CG work too. It has some great animated scenes:

Or all scenes involving Nai, like in episode 3 and fight between Vash and Nai at the end:

It has some great dialogues, which deserve to be quoted.

You might be right that I'm too timid/cowardly.
But is that such a terrible thing?
Is fighting everything head-on so important?
Even if it gets someone killed?

No matter how heavy/tiresome a cross you carry, it still okay to eat. It still okay to laugh. 

It has some scenes with great symbolism.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but I loved this scene when Vash released some insects from cage. I understood this symbolism, which animators took effort to create, as example of freedom.
They are in cage, like Vash with his past and sharing a bond with his twin Nai. Vash was able to free them and they flew toward moons, toward freedom, but who will free the Vash?

I liked music in "Trigun" - "Sound Life", I liked music in "Trigun Stampede" - "TOMBI".

Some art at the end of episodes is so good that can be used as wallpapers:

But one detail that kept ruining this anime for me is obsession with English terms, length measurement in "foot", love for Wild West by one of characters. This was in manga too? Japanese decided to appeal to USA? Well, it repulsed some viewers too.

I loved Milly Thompson in "Trigun", but in "Trigun Stampede" she doesn't appear. That's a BIG minus for me. At the end of show it was hinted that she can appear in continuation.

In over-all an okay show, but different genre, USA obsession, absence of some nice characters ruins viewing it. So I'm not going to support it, not going to re-watch it, and not sure that I'm going to watch continuation.
Jun 21, 2023 5:43 PM
Jul 2020
I've watched both series, and both are really good. I liked Trigun Stampede more, its soooooo good. People are just biased and butthurt because its different from the 98 anime. (those same people not realizing that the 98 anime deviates from the manga by a lot and that trigun stampede is closer in tone to the manga). I went into it thinking as a different show. 
It absolutly deserves a higher score. Its currenly at a 7.85, but it should probably be at an 8.3 or 8.4 (I gave it a 9 and the og an 8). People hate it because of the CG (even though its the best fully CG anime ive seen) and that the characters are slightly different and its missing some characters (that will probably be in season 2). 
Jun 22, 2023 11:57 AM
Jul 2022
I'll never understand how people call this adaptation more faithful than '98 when it actively ignores the source material. Which is worse? An adaptation that had limited source material to work with and tried its best? Or a show that had a finished manga and still chose to ignore it, from the character designs down to personality and outright removing characters?

Ohhh but they included a lil bit more about the plants and Knives is doing more, so that makes it all okay. Sigh.

Yeah, I love that one chapter in Maximum where Wolfwood whips out the laserbeam cannon. Very faithful.

Given the first couple of chapters Vash being a womanizer really isn't that out of character, he did say he could have groped Dominique after all. It's a bit over exaggerated but given how the source material was unfinished I don't mind the anime doing it's own thing.

I'm not as okay with a show doing it's own thing when you have a full manga waiting to be animated and flipping it the bird instead. I mean, imagine if when Hunter x Hunter came back in 2011 they just did a "reboot" in a completely different animation style? But it's okay for Trigun?

I'm all for trying something new, I just think this show was released at the wrong time. Stampede should have had a faithful adaptation first. This show would've made more sense if it came out over a decade after a faithful adaptation, after a Brotherhood esque show. It's a shame really, especially since the manga is paneled so poorly.

Stampede had innocent aspirations but came out at the wrong place and the wrong time. 
minix_animadeJun 22, 2023 12:02 PM
Jun 26, 2023 1:22 AM

Apr 2014
I don't mind the CGI and I like Vash's re-design, but I think it's overall pretty mediocre. The story isn't very compelling, the character development feels inconsistent, and the whole thing feels pretty rushed, making everything that happens feel less impactful. It's not awful, just very very mid - I can't imagine this would be getting much attention were it not for the Trigun name.
Jun 27, 2023 4:10 AM

Sep 2011
minix_animade said:
I'll never understand how people call this adaptation more faithful than '98 when it actively ignores the source material. Which is worse? An adaptation that had limited source material to work with and tried its best? Or a show that had a finished manga and still chose to ignore it, from the character designs down to personality and outright removing characters?

Ohhh but they included a lil bit more about the plants and Knives is doing more, so that makes it all okay. Sigh.

Yeah, I love that one chapter in Maximum where Wolfwood whips out the laserbeam cannon. Very faithful.

Given the first couple of chapters Vash being a womanizer really isn't that out of character, he did say he could have groped Dominique after all. It's a bit over exaggerated but given how the source material was unfinished I don't mind the anime doing it's own thing.

I'm not as okay with a show doing it's own thing when you have a full manga waiting to be animated and flipping it the bird instead. I mean, imagine if when Hunter x Hunter came back in 2011 they just did a "reboot" in a completely different animation style? But it's okay for Trigun?

I'm all for trying something new, I just think this show was released at the wrong time. Stampede should have had a faithful adaptation first. This show would've made more sense if it came out over a decade after a faithful adaptation, after a Brotherhood esque show. It's a shame really, especially since the manga is paneled so poorly.

Stampede had innocent aspirations but came out at the wrong place and the wrong time. 
This is exactly how I feel about the show, so thank you for this. The first anime didn't have enough material to work off of at the time and even then, it still managed to faithfully adapt whole arcs from the manga even at a time when the manga was far from finished, all while retaining the balance of comedy and drama that the manga had all throughout its run. Like you said, it's utterly baffling that they would ignore the manga in favor of an original story when the manga has never even been properly adapted the same way as FMA Brotherhood or HunterXHunter 2011. 

Now this wouldn't be so bad if the show was actually good, because it isn't. It's so painfully mediocre in its handling of the story/characters all while loosely adapting various story beats from both the original anime AND the manga. It has this identity crisis in wanting to tell its own original take of the story while haphazardly adapting plot points/dialogue from previous iterations without the proper buildup or character developments to back it all up. 

Adding to my frustration, I'm a huge fan of Orange's faithful adaptation of Houseki no Kuni, so it really frustrates me to see them adapting Trigun in such a messy way.
ronriJun 27, 2023 4:20 AM
Jul 4, 2023 12:39 PM

Jan 2008
Very biased. Once because it's a remake of an old show, and again because it's 3DCG. The 3DCG is GORGEOUS though. Look at how that thing Knives uses looks. It's gorgeous. Story is also very good. I didn't care for Meryl much in the original, but here she is absolutely adorable, with some amazing faces. People are missing out.
I've seen the original, and I do love it, but this new one had some huge improvements to the characters. Knives is FAR better here then in the original, where he wasn't even present for 24 out of 26 episodes, and at the end was just a color swap of Vash, right down the the exact same fighting style. As I said, Meryl was kind of annoying in the original, but she's adorable here. I'm really digging Roberto, as a cynical old reporter who's seen far too much. Zazie is also much improved, and so is Wolfwood. Replacing his teacher with his surrogate brother worked much better, as well as showing us why he was such a fearful fighting. The ones that are not as good as the original are Vash, ironically, and Legato. We don't see much of the goofy Vash beyond the first episode, and even though we know it was a front, seeing more of it showed us how broken he was. And the new Legato is just.... generic. The original one was so fucking intimidating. Half of that was his voice actor Seki Toshihiko, the other was that Legato was much larger. He towered over most other people. This new one is kind of a twink.
DmonHiroJul 4, 2023 12:45 PM
Dec 24, 2023 11:25 AM
Mar 2014
I may be nostalgic, but there were several alterations that were made from the original that completely change how you process these characters. The fact that Brad had a whole redemption arc when he was likely the main reason why Knives saw little hope for humanity is garbage. We're gonna skip right over Brad being literal garbage to make it seem like vash grew up loved by all and Knives was an outcast. They both were, Vash was feared and hunted, and Knives simply chose violence....
Jan 2, 7:08 PM
Dec 2020
Both. I don't know if they got infected by working with Netflix, or if this is just the direction anime is headed, given new western investments in Japan, but both is the answer.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2023

209 by FedeMetal »»
Mar 8, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2023

154 by Riley_Hartis »»
Mar 6, 7:20 PM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2023

126 by Riley_Hartis »»
Mar 6, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2023

407 by Riley_Hartis »»
Mar 6, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2023

64 by SouthRzVa »»
Mar 6, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.