Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2023 10:02 PM

Sep 2010
Now I'm not here to tell you that manga is better but to ask why people always get so mad when you tell them the manga is better or that they should read the manga instead.

I'm mostly an anime watcher myself and it took me over 10 years to pick up my first manga and compared to the amount of anime I watched I have barely read any manga (don't bother to check my lists they are both incomplete) but I never understood why anime fans get so mad at manga fans over some recommendations.

And now don't tell me you just hate them because they are annoying. Anime fans are much more annoying.

Let's be honest here, manga is obviously the better medium and the only reason I haven't consumed more manga than anime is simply because I'm too lazy to read and just want to turn on an episode and get entertained. Almost every manga I ever read was by far better than it's anime and it's not even close. I always appreciated manga recommendations and I can understand manga readers recommending the manga over the anime.

What do you think about this? Do you read manga? Do you hate manga recommendations and if yes why?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 7, 2023 10:11 PM

Feb 2020
Manga is better overall, anime fans are lazy bums and there's nothing wrong with being dumb and or lazy

people should do as they wish

there's also the fact that watching and reading raw is a much more enjoyable experience than sub/dub will ever be, but most people are also too lazy to learn japanese

Feb 7, 2023 10:17 PM

Oct 2022
To be fair, the manga has more content since mostly it is the original source and its anime counterpart left some it for easy consumption. 

I been reading for manga for a few years now and I gotten used to reading several of them that are adaptations from light novels, which are way more detailed. The reason why you felt that the manga is better than its anime is that you haven't read a manga that hasn't gotten an anime adaptation. This is where you really get into the rabbit hole into manga. A lot can be trash can be found that you can quickly notice the cliches they bring depending on the demographic. 

For recommendations, I suggest looking into Shonen manga that haven't getting an adaptation, like the recent "Fabricant 100" or "the Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins", which are in MangaPlus. You can also look into some, uh, not-so-safe [illegal] sites that post manga daily and start reading a random one. But be warned, people in the comments in manga sites gets edgy real quick. 

Feb 7, 2023 10:20 PM
Oct 2019
I generally prefer the medium of anime, but I can't really explain why people would be upset if you recommend that they read the manga if it's an anime they really like. Many anime aren't caught up, so you get more content that way, and it's just natural for many fans to prefer the source material no matter how good the adaptation is. 

To answer the later questions, I do read manga, but usually only manga that have anime adaptations that I like, and I usually only read them once the manga ends, or if I'm having a hard time avoiding spoilers. The only exceptions are Chainsaw Man (I read it long before the anime started. Shortly after part 1 ended and the anime was announced), Hell's Paradise, and Deadpool Samurai (and I guess technically the No Game No Life Desu spin-off manga, but idk if I should count that since it's a spin-off of a series that DOES have an anime adaptation, and I watched that anime first.) I don't hate manga recommendations, cause sometimes I'm just in the mood to read a manga instead of watching anime, and I can almost never find anything good to read. (That's how I ended up reading Chainsaw Man and Hell's Paradise in the first place)
Feb 7, 2023 10:27 PM

Oct 2013
I don't hate it. It's just if I'm talking about an anime specifically, I don't want to hear "just read the manga instead". If I wanted to know about the manga or the differences between the two, I would have asked about that.

It's that kind of stuff that keeps me from asking for recommendations...
FanofActionFeb 7, 2023 10:34 PM
Feb 7, 2023 10:29 PM

Dec 2022
I never thought about it. I evaluate every manga and anime series individually, rather than stack the mediums against each other on a broad, definitional level. They're intertwined anyway, so see no reason to divide them into opposing war camps.

As for why people might be mad if you tell them that manga is better and they should read it instead - it could be seen as dismissive of their entire experience of watching the anime, especially if they enjoyed it. It's like telling someone they should've got the more intelligent Border Collie after they've had a pet Labrador for a year.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 7, 2023 10:43 PM

May 2019
My biggest dream is for the Haevest manga to be adapted into anime.
Feb 7, 2023 10:55 PM

Dec 2020
I think manga can portray the scenes much better according to their situation (depending on the story). So, I generally prefer them more. 
                                                                                                                                                                                      My reviews

Feb 7, 2023 10:57 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Seems right, there will be no such Anime adaptation that can perfectly capture the immersive experience like Sayonara Eri did
Feb 7, 2023 10:58 PM

Oct 2019
I'm more than ok with them when the anime is obviously a much worse version of the story of the manga.

but it's annoying when people say that when it comes to shows with good or even great adaptations. 

why?

what do you mean why?

an adaptation is better than the manga by nature. it takes a lot more to create a 8/10 anime compared to an 8/10 manga. simply because it has a lot more elements.

a manga is only has art paneling characters and story.

an anime characters, story, directing, music, sound design, voice acting, and more.

anime is a more complete product by nature, and I would enjoy a 8/10 anime more than a 9/10 manga, while also arguing that it's better than it.

so it baffles me when people say the manga was better in good adaptations. no it wasn't. maybe it had slightly better art, or a little more context in some segments, but those are not enough to make up for music, movement or voice acting.

Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Feb 7, 2023 11:04 PM

Oct 2010
manga readers should never be allowed to post on AD or SD
Feb 7, 2023 11:11 PM

Feb 2020
I rarely read manga. For me, anime is more entertaining, because I love the animation, OSTs, voice acting, etc.

SerafosFeb 7, 2023 11:32 PM
Feb 7, 2023 11:31 PM

Aug 2022
Meh. I get bored of manga a lot faster than anime. While I do agree manga has better stories and stuff, I can't read a manga for too long. Mangas are just too dull. That's why I've dropped almost as many as I've completed. 

With an anime, even if the story ain't good there are other elements that can keep you going, while that's not the case with manga. The art is almost never good enough to keep me from dropping it when the writing is terrible or mediocre.
Feb 8, 2023 1:14 AM

Dec 2022
I've tried reading some manga, but it's not working out for me. It only works if I'm already invested in the story due to anime, otherwise I lose interest before any of the good parts can even be revealed.

That being said, I find light novels much easier to read and more enjoyable. If I stumble on anime that I like and see that it is based on a light novel, there is a fairly decent chance I will read it. If the source is manga, I never bother because I know from past experience that I won't enjoy it. To me personally, manga feels like if you took the worst aspects of both worlds (novels and animation) and combined them into one.
Feb 8, 2023 1:34 AM
Jun 2020
I usually prefer anime because I feel way more emotion with the voice acting, music and other sound effects. I don't think I could cry reading a manga
Feb 8, 2023 1:41 AM

Jun 2016
ateks said:
manga is obviously the better medium

You say it's obvious but it's not that obvious to me. Please elaborate.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 8, 2023 1:45 AM

Jun 2012
I think there is a huge difference between a physical manga book and reading it online. The scans absolutely obliterate the art and are harder to read.

You definitely have a point OP. Just compare the Naruto and One Piece manga to their anime counterparts. The anime adaptations for these two are a total mess, stretched out with filler, unnecessary flashbacks, long recaps and bad pacing.

I prefer most fights in anime though. In manga, sometimes the fights can be harder to follow. Also, a good soundtrack is a massive advantage for anime.
Feb 8, 2023 1:48 AM

Sep 2018
"Manga is better" people don't bother me: I can still like an anime adaptation considered much worse than the manga, if it manages to do some specific things very well. However, generally speaking, manga have better art, better pacing and are more fleshed out, whereas most anime don't even make the best use of the things that only anime can do.

The annoying breed of manga readers are manga purists, those who believe that any small change turns the adaptation into irredeemable garbage.
Feb 8, 2023 2:12 AM

Jan 2013
You're on an anime forum, and you're surprised if someone reacts negatively to a flippant "the manga is better" comment? 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 8, 2023 2:17 AM

Jan 2013
HEBl said:
I think there is a huge difference between a physical manga book and reading it online. The scans absolutely obliterate the art and are harder to read.

You definitely have a point OP. Just compare the Naruto and One Piece manga to their anime counterparts. The anime adaptations for these two are a total mess, stretched out with filler, unnecessary flashbacks, long recaps and bad pacing.

I prefer most fights in anime though. In manga, sometimes the fights can be harder to follow. Also, a good soundtrack is a massive advantage for anime.
I don't think you have any of those problems with good scans and CDisplay, but I've never actually bought a physical manga. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 8, 2023 2:24 AM

Oct 2013
Depends, some title is better in anime format especially the musical one.
Feb 8, 2023 4:31 AM
Jul 2018
  - Ping Pong the Animation
  - March Comes In Like a Lion
  - K-On!
  - Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
  - Shigurui
  - Girls' Last Tour
  - ACCA
  - Highschool of the Dead
  - Ghost in the Shell
  - Innocence
  - Stand Alone Complex
  - Metropolis
  - Mushishi
  - The House of Five Leaves

There's a good number of shows I know that improved upon the manga they adapted from, but not enough to disprove your point, I guess.
Feb 8, 2023 5:01 AM

Aug 2018
manga is only "better" because of incomplete adaptation syndrome.

It's really confusing sometimes trying to follow action sequences in manga. I usually just skim over those parts to see who won the fight because the individual panels make no sense anyway. And obviously, color, movement and sound are better than black and white silent still images.
Feb 8, 2023 5:16 AM

Aug 2021
Manga readers seems to never leave us alone. They're annoying and have a bad habit of ruining the moods in anime discussions (there is a manga discussion for it).

Not everyone like to read or look at black and white papers after an exhausting day.

Feb 8, 2023 5:16 AM

Aug 2020
ateks said:
Let's be honest here, manga is obviously the better medium

Both are good on their own IMO

But it's clear that manga has a way wider content. Considering how careful the anime industry is, and how some works may never be adapted due to controversy (e.g. Fire Punch), you are half right.

I've been reading more manga and LN lately, and I'm having a good time.

Feb 8, 2023 5:19 AM

Apr 2021
I like more manga just because I believe it has more diversity and I can read it anytime and anywhere. If someone doesn't want to read manga it's ok. Sometimes adaptation of manga is better (demon slayer, Blood Blockade Battlefront..). You should consume the media you enjoy more.

Also, I believe argument manga is better is becoming kinda annoying. Just because you enjoy it don't force it on others. Some people won't like it.
Feb 8, 2023 5:21 AM

Aug 2020
El001 said:
  - K-On!
  - Shigurui
  - Girls' Last Tour
  - ACCA
  - Highschool of the Dead
  - Ghost in the Shell
  - Innocence
  - Stand Alone Complex
  - Metropolis
  - Mushishi

There's a good number of shows I know that improved upon the manga they adapted from, but not enough to disprove your point, I guess.

Most of those have some great artistic work, so they basically worked on the points manga couldn't. Especially Mushishi and Ping Pong.

One complements the other in a way :)

Feb 8, 2023 5:23 AM

Aug 2020
Howdym8 said:
Not everyone like to read or look at black and white papers after an exhausting day.

Yeah, especially when there are those HxH-like pannels. Sometimes I prefer the ones who have less dialogue and more action, like Gantz.

Feb 8, 2023 5:25 AM

Aug 2020
Scavendgarr said:
Depends, some title is better in anime format especially the musical one.

Both the musical and the one that works better in animated and colored form, like 3gatsu no Lion.

Feb 8, 2023 5:40 AM

Jul 2019
Me: "Man I really love this anime!"

Bad response: "Man this anime is trash, you should just go read the manga"

Good response: "If you really enjoyed this, you should definitely check out the manga, it goes into so much more detail/depth etc..."

Honestly though, I love manga, but if you have a good anime adaptation, then 9/10 I'll prefer the anime, as often times the emotional impact of the VA/music/color and animation make up for the few details that were cut. I may read the manga, and enjoy the few extra details, but once I have that info, it's usually stuff that while good to know, isn't necessarily something I need to see or re read every time, so it not being in the anime is a good thing, as I can get to the enjoyable stuff, while at the same time filling in those gaps from the manga that help flesh out the characters/world. 

Now there are obviously some very clear examples where the manga is just flat out above and beyond the anime, such as Berserk. And then there often times where even a great anime such as Made in Abyss, definitely need to stay in your manga library, because you don't want to miss out on those nice uncensored loli chests. >:3c But otherwise, meh, I enjoy manga, but I'm not as likely to reread a good manga, as I am to rewatch a good adaptation. 
Feb 8, 2023 5:55 AM

Aug 2022
epidemia78 said:
It's really confusing sometimes trying to follow action sequences in manga. I usually just skim over those parts to see who won the fight because the individual panels make no sense anyway. And obviously, color, movement and sound are better than black and white silent still images.
Man, I totally agree with you. I already am not a big fan of shounen shows with a lot of fight scenes in anime (I mostly hate the stupid repeated tropes), but reading it in manga form is an impossible task for me.

It's so hard to see what they are doing and the manga expects me to fill in the blanks and think that it's cool what they just showed me. When my friend got me into manga he suggested that I read Tokyo Ghoul first, well that probably wasn't the smartest choice. I ended up hating it when a fighting scene showed up.

Feb 8, 2023 6:00 AM

Aug 2018
playgamewithme14 said:
epidemia78 said:
Man, I totally agree with you. I already am not a big fan of shounen shows with a lot of fight scenes in anime (I mostly hate the stupid repeated tropes), but reading it in manga form is an impossible task for me.

It's so hard to see what they are doing and the manga expects me to fill in the blanks and think that it's cool what they just showed me. When my friend got me into manga he suggested that I read Tokyo Ghoul first, well that probably wasn't the smartest choice. I ended up hating it when a fighting scene showed up.

Im not usually into battle shonen either but I was forced to read the latter part of the AoT manga when some guy went around here posting spoilers for the ending. Made in Abyss also has a fair bit of action in it too but it's not quite as incomprehensible as AoT's.
Feb 8, 2023 6:04 AM

Oct 2021
DoisacChopper said:
Manga is better overall, anime fans are lazy bums and there's nothing wrong with being dumb and or lazy

there's also the fact that watching and reading raw is a much more enjoyable experience than sub/dub will ever be, but most people are also too lazy to learn japanese
😆 Lazy or batshit insanely hard to learn
Feb 8, 2023 6:06 AM

Feb 2020
CountingCrows said:
DoisacChopper said:

😆 Lazy or batshit insanely hard to learn
Nah it's easy, people just play it up like it's a titan that will mind break you harder than a ugly bastard does to a girl

you just have to put the time in and it comes.

Feb 8, 2023 6:21 AM

Jan 2019
Jackson1333 said:

Honestly though, I love manga, but if you have a good anime adaptation, then 9/10 I'll prefer the anime, as often times the emotional impact of the VA/music/color and animation make up for the few details that were cut. I may read the manga, and enjoy the few extra details, but once I have that info, it's usually stuff that while good to know, isn't necessarily something I need to see or re read every time, so it not being in the anime is a good thing, as I can get to the enjoyable stuff, while at the same time filling in those gaps from the manga that help flesh out the characters/world. 

Now there are obviously some very clear examples where the manga is just flat out above and beyond the anime, such as Berserk. And then there often times where even a great anime such as Made in Abyss, definitely need to stay in your manga library, because you don't want to miss out on those nice uncensored loli chests. >:3c But otherwise, meh, I enjoy manga, but I'm not as likely to reread a good manga, as I am to rewatch a good adaptation. 
Really agree with this sentiment. I loved reading Demon Slayer, but seeing its adaptation was amazing. Same goes for Chainsaw Man. I love that a lot of times it feels like an anime can add depth and nuance that you sometimes miss in the manga. The best combo though is doing both, IMO!
Be happy with what you have to be happy with
Feb 8, 2023 6:24 AM

Oct 2021
Though I like reading manga there are many mangas I would like to read that haven't been translated which is kind of a blow to non-Japanese readers.
Feb 8, 2023 6:36 AM

Dec 2021
" Now I'm not here to tell you that manga is better but to ask why people always get so mad when you tell them the manga is better or that they should read the manga instead."
There would be no reason to be mad at it if said suggestion was specifical. For example: "Don't watch the Berserk anime, read the manga". Would anyone actually be mad at this? I doubt it. The actual reason people get mad is that usually what manga readers actually mean is:

"Let's be honest here, manga is obviously the better medium and the only reason I haven't consumed more manga than anime is simply because I'm too lazy to read and just want to turn on an episode and get entertained. Almost every manga I ever read was by far better than it's anime and it's not even close. I always appreciated manga recommendations and I can understand manga readers recommending the manga over the anime."
This is so incredibly dumb i don't even know where to start. First of all when you say "manga is obviously the better medium" you're speaking in general, so i'm gonna assume you also mean that manga adaptations of anime original are better in manga form? Because that would be obviously ridicolous. In the same way most of the time there's a "third" source, for example LN or VN, the anime is often the better format between anime and manga. But you were obviously talking about manga-adaptations, so: what about Mob Psycho 100? Juijutsu Kaisen? Demon Slayer? Versailles no Bara? Urusei Yatsura? Saint Seiya? Those are all cases where the anime is CLEARLY better than the anime. Then there's also cases where it's less clear cut but the anime is still at least on the same level and of course the many cases of authorial adaptations that are simply different from the manga. Those are usualy called "bad" adaptations by the most obnoxious sector of manga readers, specifically because they despise animation as an indipendendent artistic medium and would like anime to be just a boring publicity for the manga. The only thing i have to say to them is: go read the fucking manga and leave us alone.
Manga and anime are different medium giving different experiences, it's as simple as that
Feb 8, 2023 6:41 AM

Jul 2022
While I enjoy both anime and manga, I strongly prefer anime. I don't get upset when people say "read the manga," but I understand why someone would.

Imagine asking your friend what Mexican restaurant they recommend only to have them tell you that Italian is better. It provides zero help at best and is irritating at worst.
Feb 8, 2023 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
KitsuFreeze said:
El001 said:
  - K-On!
  - Shigurui
  - Girls' Last Tour
  - ACCA
  - Highschool of the Dead
  - Ghost in the Shell
  - Innocence
  - Stand Alone Complex
  - Metropolis
  - Mushishi

Most of those have some great artistic work, so they basically worked on the points manga couldn't. Especially Mushishi and Ping Pong.

One complements the other in a way :)

Yes, true. But some manga like K-On! & Shigurui pale in comparison to their outstanding anime adaptations.
Feb 8, 2023 11:37 AM

Feb 2021
Light novels are superior to manga anyways
Feb 8, 2023 11:55 AM

Jul 2021
manga is for lazy and impatient people.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Feb 8, 2023 12:12 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
TsutanaiFuun said:
manga is for lazy and impatient people.
Isn't it the opposite? Anime-only can't keep up with the panel structure, pacing, and dialogues of Manga because it's just too much for them, hence watching makes them consume the content easier.
Feb 8, 2023 12:19 PM

Jul 2021
@kizumi91 i was taking more about how it takes less time to finish the story in manga format than in anime.  that's why there are many people who have started reading manga only. which is why i called them lazy. also i'm not sure what you mean by "too  much for them", i've read some mangas and actually felt like everything was happening quickly as compared to the anime counterpart. correct me if i'm wrong.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Feb 8, 2023 12:20 PM
Jun 2021
ateks said:
Now I'm not here to tell you that manga is better but to ask why people always get so mad when you tell them the manga is better or that they should read the manga instead.

I'm mostly an anime watcher myself and it took me over 10 years to pick up my first manga and compared to the amount of anime I watched I have barely read any manga (don't bother to check my lists they are both incomplete) but I never understood why anime fans get so mad at manga fans over some recommendations.

And now don't tell me you just hate them because they are annoying. Anime fans are much more annoying.

Let's be honest here, manga is obviously the better medium and the only reason I haven't consumed more manga than anime is simply because I'm too lazy to read and just want to turn on an episode and get entertained. Almost every manga I ever read was by far better than it's anime and it's not even close. I always appreciated manga recommendations and I can understand manga readers recommending the manga over the anime.

What do you think about this? Do you read manga? Do you hate manga recommendations and if yes why?

For anime that are manga adaptations, yeah, I have to agree. For anime originals that gain their manga adaptations later on, I prefer the anime.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Feb 8, 2023 12:27 PM

Jul 2021
There is not that much manga does better than anime.
Animation, voice acting, music, and even color add so much to the plot.
Manga isn't even like books, where the adaptation has to cut down on text to fit into a time limit an average human can sit through. Some Mangas are adapted panel by panel into anime, and while I would argue that's not a good practice, it wouldn't even be possible for a book.

The one thing that's actually better in manga format is sex scenes.
And even then the webtoon format is just far superior than manga they print...
Feb 8, 2023 12:37 PM

Dec 2021
JaniSIr said:
Manga isn't even like books, where the adaptation has to cut down on text to fit into a time limit an average human can sit through. Some Mangas are adapted panel by panel into anime, and while I would argue that's not a good practice, it wouldn't even be possible for a book.

This is as nonsensical as OP post since manga too has its clear strong points, for example the level of detail of a panel will most of the time (unless the mangaka is kinda bad at drawings) be way higher then the detail in a single frame. They're simply different medium and there's no much of a point in comparing them
Feb 8, 2023 12:45 PM

Jul 2021
Oznerol7 said:
JaniSIr said:

This is as nonsensical as OP post since manga too has its clear strong points, for example the level of detail of a panel will most of the time (unless the mangaka is kinda bad at drawings) be way higher then the detail in a single frame. They're simply different medium and there's no much of a point in comparing them

Even that's not necessarily true, Violet Evergarden exists.

Feb 8, 2023 12:48 PM

Dec 2021
JaniSIr said:
Oznerol7 said:

From which manga was Violet Evergarden adapted exactly? (btw i specified most of the time, even some AoT panels are more detailed than in the anime and we know how bad Isayama is drawing-wise)
Feb 8, 2023 12:50 PM

Jul 2021
Oznerol7 said:
JaniSIr said:

From which manga was Violet Evergarden adapted exactly? (btw i specified most of the time, even some AoT panels are more detailed than in the anime and we know how bad Isayama is drawing-wise)

That was adapted from a novel actually, but the point still stands.
Feb 8, 2023 12:58 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
TsutanaiFuun said:
i was taking more about how it takes less time to finish the story in manga format than in anime.  that's why there are many people who have started reading manga only. which is why i called them lazy
Don't be ridiculous, having less consuming time doesn't mean reading makes that person is lazy.

TsutanaiFuun said:
also i'm not sure what you mean by "too  much for them", i've read some mangas and actually felt like everything was happening quickly as compared to the anime counterpart.
How many and which exactly Manga is the one you have read? Action, comedy and romance tend to have fewer dialogues and panels, while it's the opposite for psychological and mystery. I recommend you read Death Note and Detective Conan to understand my point, finishing one chapter of such Manga might take up about 10 to 15 minutes and normally it needs 2 or 3 chapters of that to constitute an Anime episode.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

22 by Theo1899 »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 7 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

19 by Zakception »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 2 hours ago

8 by Theo1899 »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

164 by JaniSIr »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.