Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 11, 2023 9:29 PM

Jul 2011
Archean-Return said:
Smordola said:

Sure, anime is aesthetically pleasing to the eye most of the time but I find that sometimes gets to be old. Yet I think much of modern Western animation is too ugly whether it's the Cal Arts/bean mouth or generic CGI. I just wish there was more of a happy medium in both.
Suit yourself. I don't really think there needs to be a medium to both though — seems like trying to find a problem where there isn't one, since something being attractive is invariably a positive characteristic. If you find some western cartoons have attractive artstyles too, then that's your perogative. I'd prefer for both anime and western cartoons to "stay in their own lane" and remain distinctive, rather than melded together for the sake of it.

Normal characters should be aesthetically appealing, and characters that are supposed to be ugly (ogres, orcs, old corrupt politicians and nobles, etc.) can be made to look gruff and unsympathetic without looking like weird exaggerated caricatures you'd find in satirical magazines.

I mean, there are Western series with decent art styles (and I'm not talking about the ones influenced by anime in the first place). If you think they don't exist, then you need to look harder. I don't think normal people all have to be pleasing to the eye either. There can be some caveats that are opposed.

But you do you, as you would say.
Feb 11, 2023 9:39 PM
Dec 2017
That's clearly dependent of the eye of the viewer. If you don't find many ugly that is an entirely you thing 
Feb 11, 2023 9:40 PM

Dec 2022
Smordola said:
Archean-Return said:
Suit yourself. I don't really think there needs to be a medium to both though — seems like trying to find a problem where there isn't one, since something being attractive is invariably a positive characteristic. If you find some western cartoons have attractive artstyles too, then that's your perogative. I'd prefer for both anime and western cartoons to "stay in their own lane" and remain distinctive, rather than melded together for the sake of it.

Normal characters should be aesthetically appealing, and characters that are supposed to be ugly (ogres, orcs, old corrupt politicians and nobles, etc.) can be made to look gruff and unsympathetic without looking like weird exaggerated caricatures you'd find in satirical magazines.

I mean, there are Western series with decent art styles (and I'm not talking about the ones influenced by anime in the first place). If you think they don't exist, then you need to look harder. I don't think normal people all have to be pleasing to the eye either. There can be some caveats that are opposed.

But you do you, as you would say.
I've seen some with decent artstyles, but I'd have to go out of my way to narrow them down, especially since many of them are from a few decades ago now. As for whether normal character look attractive, imperfections really stand out in certain artstyles, particularly in anime, to the point of veering into "gonk territory". Itaru from Steins;Gate is what I'd say is an example of how you create a protagonistic character who still conveys the intent of designing something like a "fat otaku", but without making him visually unappealing.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 12, 2023 7:09 AM
Oct 2021
Surprised no one mentioned monster yet ,it has a lot of characters that people might consider ugly although some are actually good looking 
Feb 12, 2023 7:58 AM

Jul 2021
M_TGO said:
Surprised no one mentioned monster yet ,it has a lot of characters that people might consider ugly although some are actually good looking 

Monster had barely any female characters though.
And Eva, the objective best girl in the show, is canonically hot.
Feb 12, 2023 10:33 AM
Jul 2018
You mainly see them used for jokes. But when it comes to art, everyone strives for perfection. Although it doesn't mean that all characters are going to be attractive or beautiful to people based on art styles.
Feb 12, 2023 10:46 AM
Sep 2022
You'll love the Shin Chan girls since the artstyle is really hideous 
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 5 hours ago

22 by NubFix »»
3 minutes ago

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Today

23 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

15 by Thanatos1 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think girl on girl (yuri / GL / shoujo ai) is hot? ( 1 2 )

Bakchos - Aug 15, 2019

52 by lingojk »»
5 minutes ago

» Are the characters or the plot more important for you in an anime?

Tannenbusch - Apr 12

49 by Spunkert »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.