Forum Settings
Forums

What's the first anime you saw where you read the manga prior? How did that effect the experience of watching it?

New
Feb 4, 2023 12:54 PM

Jun 2017
Did knowing the plot and story of the anime from reading the manga help or hurt the experience?
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Feb 4, 2023 1:01 PM

May 2021
Chainsaw Man, i don't think it effected in either way, but i'm glad i read the manga first, 'cause if i watched the anime first i don't think i would've picked up the manga which is way better than the anime imo

The next anime i'll be doing this is Zom 100
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Feb 4, 2023 1:02 PM

May 2019
I had read the stone ocean manga before watching the anime and i think the anime fixes many of the plot holes and inconsistencies and unnecessary additions that araiki put to streamline it for a more convenient and enjoyable viewing.
Feb 4, 2023 1:04 PM

Feb 2020
Ginga Densetsu Weed.

It enhanced the viewing experience.
Feb 4, 2023 1:12 PM
Feb 2021
The airing Vinland Saga season 2 is the first one for me. So far I have been very pleased with the production value and knowing that the slow start leads to a satisfying ending has made me able to appreciate the little moments of the first episodes more than I did in the manga.

Also the anime original content has been fantastic.
Feb 4, 2023 1:27 PM
Oct 2021
For me it was Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru, I was reading the manga long before the anime was announced.

As for the adaptation, I think it was perfect. Panels were cut from the manga but nothing that hurt the flow of the series.
Feb 4, 2023 1:31 PM

Aug 2011
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was Death Note, which I read before the anime existed. This was obviously a long time ago, so I don't have super vivid memories of how it affected the viewing experience for me. Generally though, I find that reading a manga before seeing the anime adaptation can make the anime a better or worse viewing experience, totally depending on the quality of the adaptation. If it's a decent/good/great adaptation (like Death Note was), then it enhances the anime for me. Knowing the plot really doesn't take anything away, and I love seeing what I enjoyed from the manga with animation, voice, music, and so on. But if it's a bad adaptation, then I think it really takes away from the anime, since I'm comparing it to the manga, and feeling frustrated, knowing it could have been much better. Maybe if I'd just seen the anime with nothing to compare it to, I would have enjoyed it more.
Feb 4, 2023 4:12 PM

Jul 2021
It was Sekai Saikou no Ansatsusha, Isekai Kizoku ni Tensei suru, and it didn't have too much of an effect because I couldn't remember much from the manga. But apart from that, I would say it enhanced the experience.
Feb 4, 2023 4:43 PM

Sep 2020
It was One piece. Idk man I was like 13 and that was one of my first experiences with anime so I enjoyed it probably more than I would If I watched those arcs again.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Feb 4, 2023 7:47 PM

Jan 2021
It was Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, and I think it didn't make any difference.
Feb 4, 2023 8:26 PM
Jul 2018
I think it was to your eternity and I loved it just as much as I love the manga. Usually, I don't read the manga and then watch the anime or vice versa because I'm afraid I'll be bored but I wasn't! It was just as great.
Feb 4, 2023 9:06 PM

Aug 2019
It was Kimetsu no Yaiba for me.. And yeah, it did enhance my viewing experience. I won't be watching the coming seasons tho because I didn't like the later arcs much.

Feb 5, 2023 12:05 AM

Mar 2021
Watching JoJo Part 6 right now, and I like the manga a lot better already.

Feb 5, 2023 1:13 AM

Jun 2007
The first time I'd ever read a manga (or at least the relevant parts of it) before watching its anime was with UQ Holder! in 2018. Prior to that point, every manga I'd read was either the source material (or adaptation) of an anime I'd seen, or didn't have an anime at all.

For the experience of watching UQ Holder!, I don't know how much difference reading the manga made -- it would've come off as a very rushed and choppy adaptation either way. From reading the manga, I knew which arcs were compressed or omitted, and which characters were pared down or eliminated. Including one who was barely relevant in the manga to begin with. But from my experiences with Love Hina and Negima!, I kind of expected a lackluster adaptation, as that always seems to happen with Ken Akamatsu's manga no matter what. The UQ Holder! anime was just a more extreme example of that trend.

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

46 by TitanOfPlasma »»
4 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

66 by PostMahouShoujo »»
8 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

38 by Absurdo_N »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
26 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

9 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.