Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 1, 2023 1:21 PM

Jun 2011
Including its culture, values, traditions, etc. Are there anime that are made for these types?
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 1, 2023 1:26 PM

Feb 2022
Check out any stack named "elitist" in interest stacks, or maybe some chinese nationalist animu.
Feb 1, 2023 1:28 PM

Jan 2016
Death Note, Madoka Magicka and Clannad After Story apparently heh
dertassoFeb 1, 2023 3:05 PM
Feb 1, 2023 1:31 PM

Jun 2011
dertasso said:
Death Note, Madoka Magicka and Clannad After Story apparently
But they are drizzling with all things Japanese.
Feb 1, 2023 1:37 PM

Apr 2019
The closest thing to that I know is https://myanimelist.net/anime/19135/Kuroi_Ame_ni_Utarete

The "people" here are Hiroshima survivors, who have been discriminated and shunned by their fellow Japanese. Nobody wanted to marry, employ or friend them, they were impure. The author of the original work is one of them, and he hates back. And to make it perfect, he puts all his hatred against the people who caused this on top: the Americans. He hates them even more than the Japanese who hate him.

This is the most bitter, angry and hateful anime I've seen. And while I can understand where the strong negative emotions come from, it's still too much.

Feb 1, 2023 1:41 PM

May 2015
Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 somewhat has a vibe like this.
Feb 1, 2023 1:45 PM

Jan 2016
Ahegyao said:
dertasso said:
Death Note, Madoka Magicka and Clannad After Story apparently
But they are drizzling with all things Japanese.
I was joking (bc i hate Japan).

On a serious note though i'd say all anime that have themes who are mainly disproving arguments, and/or are politically libleft. I'd say Eva, Shimoneta or Kill la kill
dertassoFeb 1, 2023 1:51 PM
Feb 1, 2023 2:13 PM

Mar 2021
Ahegyao said:

Anime for people who hate Japan

The closest thing to a modern title anyone would likely even take the time to watch these days would be "Welcome to the N.H.K.". It basically trashes the otaku lifestyle, gives a rare insight into some real fallacies of modern Japanese life, and lightly exposes a few things really wrong with modern Japanese culture in general.

Although I have never read this there is also "Manga Kenkanryuu" that is an anti-Korean propaganda that specifically shits on Japan-Korea relations.
ColourWheelFeb 1, 2023 2:19 PM
Feb 1, 2023 2:27 PM

May 2019
Grave of the fireflies and Barefoot Gen.
Feb 1, 2023 3:05 PM
Jan 2017
i might be answering this wrong as i dont really understand the point of the question lol if someone hates japan they probably wont want to watch anime in the first place but anyways...

first thing to come to my mind is attack on titan. the setting is kind of medieval European and there isn't really any traces of Japanese culture to be seen throughout the show from what i can tell.   the only thing Japanese about it is the fact it was created by someone Japanese and its a Japanese animation (anime) lol.

I'd also have to recommend the last airbender.  the fire nation is based on japan and are portrayed as the villains but other than that there isn't anything Japanese.  same goes for legend of korra. you get that anime look and feel but there isnt anything inherently Japanese about it.  also both are not Japanese anime.

another could be little witch academia.  the protagonist is Japanese but the setting and everything about the story and lore is far from it.
Feb 1, 2023 7:14 PM

Dec 2021
Is not Anime is already very popular in Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore and other South East Asian nations?
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Feb 1, 2023 7:23 PM

Jul 2022
Azur Lane has Japan in an alliance with Nazi Germany and clearly in a villain role, so that might work for you. Also:

Feb 1, 2023 8:57 PM

Oct 2014
Basically anything from World Masterpiece Theatre could be good, since they don't take place in Japan.
Feb 2, 2023 6:20 PM

Jan 2015
Space Dandy, Trigun, Baccano!, FMAB (It fits, I guess?), Monster, Legend Of The Galactic Heroes (for my elitist friends out there, shit so good), 91 Days (personally I dislike it, but it fits your criteria), Made In Abyss (it's fantasy, so it distances itself from Japan somewhat). These are the ones I could think of that escape from japanese-isms. Mind you that since these shows were made in japan (duh), it obviously will have some display of its culture to some degree, even if very minor. However I still think you might get some enjoyment out of these.
⠀⠀⠀⠀- ⣠⠤⠖⠚⠛⠉⠛⠒⠒⠦⢤
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⠞⠁⠀⠀⠠⠒⠂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠳⡄
⠀⠀⠀⢸⠇⠀⠀⠀⢀⡄⠤⢤⣤⣤⡀⢀⣀⣀⣀⣹⡄
⠀⠀⠀⠘⢧⠀⠀⠀⠀⣙⣒⠚⠛⠋⠁⡈⠓⠴⢿⡿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠒⠤⢀⠛⠻⠿⠿⣖⣒⣁⠤⠒⠋
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⠼⠀⠈⣻⠋⠉⠁
⠀⠀⠀⡴⠚⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠀⠐⢦
⠀⠀⣸⠃⠀⡴⠋⠉⠀⢄⣀⠤⢴⠄⠀⡇
⠀⢀⡏⠀⠀⠹⠶⢀⡔⠉⠀⠀⣼⠀⠀⡇
⠀⣼⠁⠀⠙⠦⣄⡀⣀⡤⠶⣉⣁⣀⠘
⢀⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⣽
⢸⠇⠀⠀⠀⢀⡤⠦⢤⡄⠀⠀⡟
⢸⠀⠀⠀⠀⡾⠀⠀⠀⡿⠀⠀⣇⣀⣀
⢸⠀⠀⠈⠉⠓⢦⡀⢰⣇⡀⠀⠉⠀⠀⣉⠇
⠈⠓⠒⠒⠀⠐⠚⠃⠀⠈⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Feb 3, 2023 1:39 AM

Oct 2012
alexw1020 said:
Azur Lane has Japan in an alliance with Nazi Germany and clearly in a villain role, so that might work for you.
Japan was actually in an alliance with Nazi Germany, and a lot of anime like to mock or diminish that part of their history. After all, the emperor crippled their economy and then made the worst mistake ever and bombed Pearl Harbor.

But as for anime that truly hates on Japan, the concept of Japan, and not just some historical distance away, one could probably find some shitty propagandist Chinese cartoons that are being produced in isolated corners of even the Chinese sphere. You might not consider it "anime", but for someone who hates Japan, I'm not sure why that would even matter. And if anyone ever mocks you with the "Chinese cartoons" thing, they wouldn't be wrong.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 3, 2023 1:49 AM

Oct 2012
Gray_Angus said:
FMAB (It fits, I guess?), Legend Of The Galactic Heroes (for my elitist friends out there, shit so good)
Really? I've always considered these some kind of a metaphor for an alternate Japan up against a superpower. Nazi Germany when it comes to FMA:B. The Japan part of that might be a bit of a stretch, but LOTGH -- not so much. The Galactic Empire is clearly inspired by some American-European influence, like Brittania in Code Geass. And the Free Planets Alliance would clearly be on the side of a metaphorical space Japan. Probably some Gundam anime like Gundam Seed might be more anti-Japan since it depicts them as a bunch of incompetent bureaucrats, but it's quite easy to infer even there that it just follows the example of many shounen anime in general by demarcating between Japanese youths and the "society". It wouldn't be a stretch to say that the Gundam pilots are some hybrid of Japan, the concept of it if not the geography.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 3, 2023 1:54 AM

Sep 2021
basically nearly every ghibli movie fits this 
Feb 3, 2023 1:58 AM

Sep 2020
Vinland Saga, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop
Feb 3, 2023 2:07 AM

Jan 2014
How about non-anime anime like Arcane, Avatar or Cyberpunk Edgerunners? Nothing to with Japan at all.
Feb 3, 2023 2:08 AM

Mar 2021
JoJo

> Had a foreign protag during the time of "japanese rise"
> Had a female protagonist in shonen jump
> Filled with western pop cultures references
> Weakest enemy is named after a japanese song

Try it ig
Feb 3, 2023 2:27 AM

Jun 2016
Gunsmith Cats. It's about some girls running a gun store in Chicago and getting in trouble with the ATF aka a series about the struggles of your average Chicago gun person. It also has Soviet spies.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 3, 2023 6:13 AM
Oct 2021
Theo1899 said:
Gunsmith Cats. It's about some girls running a gun store in Chicago and getting in trouble with the ATF aka a series about the struggles of your average Chicago gun person. It also has Soviet spies.
That manga is the most American thing ever ngl
Feb 3, 2023 6:18 AM

Jun 2022
Anything made by Kpreans or Chinese.
Feb 3, 2023 11:15 AM

Jan 2015
katsucats said:
Really? I've always considered these some kind of a metaphor for an alternate Japan up against a superpower. Nazi Germany when it comes to FMA:B. The Japan part of that might be a bit of a stretch, but LOTGH -- not so much. The Galactic Empire is clearly inspired by some American-European influence, like Brittania in Code Geass. And the Free Planets Alliance would clearly be on the side of a metaphorical space Japan. 

Excellent point, haven't considered that. When I watched I didn't feel the Alliance was 'metaphorical japan', but rather a modern society as whole, but it could very well be a representation of 'modern japan' then.
⠀⠀⠀⠀- ⣠⠤⠖⠚⠛⠉⠛⠒⠒⠦⢤
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⠞⠁⠀⠀⠠⠒⠂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠳⡄
⠀⠀⠀⢸⠇⠀⠀⠀⢀⡄⠤⢤⣤⣤⡀⢀⣀⣀⣀⣹⡄
⠀⠀⠀⠘⢧⠀⠀⠀⠀⣙⣒⠚⠛⠋⠁⡈⠓⠴⢿⡿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠒⠤⢀⠛⠻⠿⠿⣖⣒⣁⠤⠒⠋
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⠼⠀⠈⣻⠋⠉⠁
⠀⠀⠀⡴⠚⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠀⠐⢦
⠀⠀⣸⠃⠀⡴⠋⠉⠀⢄⣀⠤⢴⠄⠀⡇
⠀⢀⡏⠀⠀⠹⠶⢀⡔⠉⠀⠀⣼⠀⠀⡇
⠀⣼⠁⠀⠙⠦⣄⡀⣀⡤⠶⣉⣁⣀⠘
⢀⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⣽
⢸⠇⠀⠀⠀⢀⡤⠦⢤⡄⠀⠀⡟
⢸⠀⠀⠀⠀⡾⠀⠀⠀⡿⠀⠀⣇⣀⣀
⢸⠀⠀⠈⠉⠓⢦⡀⢰⣇⡀⠀⠉⠀⠀⣉⠇
⠈⠓⠒⠒⠀⠐⠚⠃⠀⠈⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Feb 3, 2023 2:04 PM

Apr 2015
inim said:
The closest thing to that I know is https://myanimelist.net/anime/19135/Kuroi_Ame_ni_Utarete

The "people" here are Hiroshima survivors, who have been discriminated and shunned by their fellow Japanese. Nobody wanted to marry, employ or friend them, they were impure. The author of the original work is one of them, and he hates back.  And to make it perfect, he puts all his hatred against the people who caused this on top: the Americans. He hates them even more than the Japanese who hate him.

This is the most bitter, angry and hateful anime I've seen. And while I can understand where the strong negative emotions come from, it's still too much.
I haven't watched that anime, but have read the novel and would point out Masuji Ibuse isn't survivor of Hiroshima. It's his home region yes but he worked in Tokyo irc during the bombings, thus isn't part of the "lower class". The novel is written based on by various experiences and research papers.

Unless they have changed the adaptation a lot, I wouldn't even call it having much hatred towards Americans. The novel itself describes more so just wartime Japan, the effect the war had on citizens, war propaganda fed to Japanese and criticizes Japanese army and their mentality. Americans are present only for short period of the novel, when USA sent doctors to "help" with nuclear survivors. It is a work leaning heavy on anti-war message.
Feb 3, 2023 2:25 PM

Nov 2021
pick any non-isekai fantasy, any anime which takes place in some european country (there are a surprising amount of these), or just watch it in dub haha.
if i had a flower for every time i think of you, i could walk in my garden forever.
Feb 3, 2023 3:20 PM
Feb 3, 2023 5:47 PM

Jun 2011
Keep in mind what I meant are works that are anti-Japanese and not simply those that are set outside of Japan featuring non-Japanese.
Feb 3, 2023 8:10 PM

Jul 2016
Thread locked

Anime Discussion Rules: 5. Please refrain from posting thread topics which extend beyond the discussion of anime/manga as an entertainment medium to highly-debated social and/or moral issues. This includes but is not limited to: pedophilia, gender/racial equality, sexual orientation, etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Strayfe »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
11 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
12 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
19 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.