Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 9, 2010 12:24 PM
May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Eh. Who are you?"

Talk about a cliffhanger ending. But seriously, how could Kuroda and the keeper not have seen that "shot" as a threat?

I miss fish and chips.
May 10, 2010 12:35 AM

Feb 2008
Just saw the raw. Episode had me cracking up as a Belgian (Dutch speaking part though we also learn French at school cause of our French part) cause of the fact that this episode had a Dutch coach and that French coach who coaches the Japanese national team. Got to say, the Dutch guy's dutch was quite good cause I understood it but that Japanese guy's Dutch sucked major balls. Same goes for the French, understood the coach but again the Japanese couldn't speak it at all. Guess they wanted to make it look realistic.

Well the coaches meeting was quite hilarious, Tatsumi putting pressure on the others while saying there's no pressure for the low funded / ranked ETU was quite awesome. Just like him bailing out on the meeting and acting like old friends with the national coach.

The match itself, does that goalie really wanted to win the award of the worst goalie ever? The guy's almost as bad Bayern's goalie... Last game he let in a free kick in the corner goalies should always have covered and run over Tsubaki for a ball he could've never had reached and demoralizing a future key/star player and now he actually lets in a drop shot while standing on his line?? Plain aweful.
May 10, 2010 3:12 AM
Oct 2009
Wow...I'm quite impressed by the coaches meeting. Guys from different nations are pretty impressively characterized.

I'm gonna add my statement that I have zero interest in international football, yet this show REALLY grabs my interest. With an interesting story, internal and external conflicts in multiple situations, and high quality characters. I'm expecting to give this show no less than an 8/10 if this continues.
May 10, 2010 4:24 AM

Sep 2007
HAN ! So far different from Captain Tsubasa.
It's why i love it !
And the voice ... So really good ... "Real" english and french voices, not with a japanese speech.
ShiroiRyuMay 10, 2010 4:46 AM
May 10, 2010 5:12 AM
May 2009
mugiwara84 said:
The guy's almost as bad Bayern's goalie...

At least you're not comparing him to Fabiański yet...
May 10, 2010 6:04 AM

Dec 2008
I like how they're using multiple foreigners speaking different languages. It's refreshing to see that.

I like how they were chatting while watching a little league game. Very nice.

Yeah, that goalie does not seem to do a good job. Man.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
May 10, 2010 6:29 AM

May 2008
Haha Blanc as in Laurent Blanc! XD
manager of japan football lol
nice choice =)

anyway great episode... but dam they scored unexpectadly D:
more suspense! cant wait!
May 10, 2010 7:01 AM

Jun 2008
Hope they get battered. It will suck if everything goes well for them.
May 10, 2010 7:49 AM

Feb 2009
That goalie is like the worst noob ever. From the looks of the preview, it seems that ETU will probably loose this one but that's what I thought last time too.

I'm impressed they actually hired people who speak english, french and dutch. That's not something you often see in anime, even the big budget ones.

I'm guessing the Dutchman's team will be the real thread during the season.
May 10, 2010 8:09 AM

Jan 2009
i like the speech of takumi on the conference lol its true the higher pressure to win is on the popular teams XD
May 10, 2010 8:16 AM
Jun 2009
Sun_Shine said:
Hope they get battered. It will suck if everything goes well for them.

ETU or that other team?
May 10, 2010 8:33 AM

Feb 2009
Nice episode. Interesting ending. Yeah the keeper sucks big time but we all know that even famous teams these days manage to have lousy keepers.

May 10, 2010 9:03 AM

Dec 2007

This part was awesome.
May 10, 2010 9:41 AM

Jul 2009
Well they already behind in such a short time XD

I wanna know about the Javelin's coach, Tatsumi was hoping not to meet this guy sooner, maybe he is a sly coach and have more things under his sleeve
May 10, 2010 10:12 AM

Oct 2007
This is a well directed episode that build up so much hype which we can't wait to see.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
May 10, 2010 10:47 AM
Jul 2008
Great episode again. Bad english is awesome though. lol
May 10, 2010 11:31 AM

May 2007
The look on their faces, when they scored a goal, was priceless.

May 10, 2010 12:14 PM

Mar 2009
lol the different languages they spoke in this episode was awesome.
The dutchman spoke alright but his translator/japanese guy sucked really hard, I had no idea what he mumbled. xD The english talks were funny too.

anyway, the ending was totally unexpected. man where tha hell did that came from.. :O
May 10, 2010 12:33 PM

May 2008
Was it Murakoshi who scored? The ending cliffhanger was quite awsome...
The conference was hilarious, Tatsumi managed to grab all the attention again. And I liked how they spoke in different languages~~
May 10, 2010 2:07 PM

Dec 2008
mugiwara84 said:
Same goes for the French, understood the coach but again the Japanese couldn't speak it at all.

Yeah.. that hurt my hears. The coach is a native speaker, no accent at all and "Blanc" is definitly inspired by Laurent Blanc, althought the man is not that old yet.

Good episode.
May 10, 2010 2:08 PM

May 2007
I don't remember the foreigners speaking, I can only really remember the start of the match, which was funny and I LOLed at the goal. laugh.gif Episode 06 in a whole was a joy to watch, I can safely say that I was entertained by it.

It was nice to finally find out who the woman was and it turns out she is a cute freelance reporter/journalist named Fujii-chan......I can see her becoming Tatsumi's love interest but perhaps she will probably become a stalker-type.....I really like her "cold" demeanor.

I think ETU will still win the match and perhaps by a score of 2-1 or 3-2 due to a 2nd half turn-around......its gonna be intense.

@Sayami.....they conceded a goal. >_> (Ep 6 of Giant Killing)
May 10, 2010 2:48 PM

May 2008
Oops, I got it wrong~
May 10, 2010 2:58 PM

Sep 2007
I absolutely loved the Dutch parts. 8D And well, I am Dutch, so it's kinda understandable. It was so sudden. I didn't even listen closely, so I only heard the last line.
''Hij zou wel eens een ontzettend goede coach kunnen zijn...''
He may just be one hell of a coach...
Immediately cracked up, nationalistic as I sometimes can be, I rewatched the parts, and came to the conclusion that they actually hired someone who could speak the language. May even have been a real Dutch dude. :D

Oh, and I'm not forgetting the mental showdown between the Dutch man and Tatsumi. That was quite awesome. 8D
HiinaMay 10, 2010 3:01 PM
May 10, 2010 3:55 PM
Dec 2007
Hmmmm, that was some very good episode, probably because few actual football was involved :) The managerial side of the show is quite entertaining, the press conference and subsequent meetings proved that.

Fabrice said:
Haha Blanc as in Laurent Blanc! XD
manager of japan football lol
nice choice =)

I don't know about Japan's national team, but he'll most likely be the new French coach, replacing Domenech right after the World Cup. And as some other posts pointed out, the guy dubbing him definitely speaks a good French (almost native), just like the Dutch guy if my meager Dutch understanding does not betray me.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 10, 2010 6:03 PM

May 2009
That was a fun episode. Tatsumi certainly left an impression on his peers at the press conference. Funny how so many people have staked their fortunes on Tatsumi. Now you've even got a reporter too LOL. I'm on the fence as to how the match will turn out, though I think it will be a tight match. Btw, nice banner there, Skulls! I wonder how long that took and how much that cost.
May 10, 2010 6:10 PM

Aug 2008
It had to happen at some point. This was a horribly boring episode. I liked that the coaches met and everything, but to spend nearly the whole episode on non-football stuff was a little pointless for me.
May 10, 2010 6:24 PM

Dec 2009
Similar feeling, the game part is far too weak compared to the story part, while the story part isn't really very interesting, probably still setting the plots.
The OP is still worth listening anyway.
But they need a bit more of the core game.
May 10, 2010 6:33 PM

May 2008
The Speech at the conference that Tatsumi gave
was Awesome He seriously knew what type of battlefield he was headed to and how to deal with his opponents. I am actually looking forward to
see the final score of their first match.
May 10, 2010 7:57 PM

Jul 2009

And is it me or the translator guy who speaks french is better than the one who speaks dutch? In fact, out of 3 languages, I have an impression that the Japanese are most apt for french and the worse spoken language prize goes to english: "Fuuuu are u" LOL

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

May 10, 2010 9:51 PM

Aug 2008
Wow wow wow! This show is really underrated peps! It's really awesome, maybe it doesn't have lots of soccer matched scenes, but imo it has the perfect balance between psychology, chats, characters and the core of any soccer theme thing, a match! It was really surprising, oh BTW this part of the manga hasn't been scanlated yet so, from now on we're on the same train, with the conference and everythin, really something completely unexpected since Japan Football League isn't that great... yet there are those foreign Coaches... for a moment I thought the Dutch guy was German, but now that you've said he's dutch then I can understand now the speech...

But Coach Blanc was definitely awesome peps!!! Loved the interaction he had with our dear Tatsumi!!! They immediately loved each other and that was so cool and like Yuri said, they don't even now each other but they still had a convo like they were old friends and that's good since many things can happen from now on... In the worst case Tatsumi could be called to be part of the National Team Player List! XD

Well whatever it is the show is amazing... and the Opener Match of the Season has just showed us that, since they are already losing by one goal... I gotta admit the GK looked like a total noob eating that goal, but hey you sometimes doubt of that kind of shots when you're a Goalie... It's hard to be a Goalie... He has to perk up... I just hope they draw or something 'cause they're playing awesomely well, but it looks they'll lose... I hope so not!!! Please Mr. ETU push the Team Forward and WIN!!! or DRAWWWW but don't lose PLEASEEE!

Man the ETU fans are awesome! Seriously I got the goosebumps when they began to sing whatever they were singing and they displayed that awesome banner... I can't believe they really did that! GOOOO ETU!!!!! The Freelance Reporter Girl, Fujii, looks interesting... A probable Love interest for Tatsumi hehehe

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2010 11:08 PM

Mar 2009
Good episode. Tatsumi's speech was great.
LOL the fish and chips part.
May 11, 2010 3:50 AM

Oct 2007
This an awesome episode, specially liked the animation for a bit of the match they showed at the end. Yeah this is probably the closest thing i've seen to proper football. A team dominating doesn't necessary mean they going to win and all it takes is a fluke that turns the game around, lovely XD
May 11, 2010 3:12 PM

Dec 2009
Was an awesome episode, especially the conference had all the mangers shivering in thier pants,
cant w8 for next episode
May 11, 2010 9:15 PM

Jul 2009
I like the mind games part and looks like they conceded because of blunder again.
May 12, 2010 10:39 AM

Dec 2009
Traveller said:
lol the different languages they spoke in this episode was awesome.
The dutchman spoke alright but his translator/japanese guy sucked really hard, I had no idea what he mumbled. xD The english talks were funny too.

anyway, the ending was totally unexpected. man where tha hell did that came from.. :O

I agree. I had no idea what that translator mumbled. xD
Awesome, Japanese with some Dutch & French ^^
May 12, 2010 4:26 PM

Mar 2009
Seki-san (Tatsumi's Seiyu) should win an award. I thought he was great in French, English, and his native Japanese. The game itself, goals like that happen, and what i hope it teaches them not to sleep on them. I can say this... Tatsumi takes the job VERY SERIOUSLY. He doesn't fuck around. While the coaches are getting trashed, he was watching the other teams tape and looking them over to see what they are going to do. Okada is the coach of Japan (A wildcard Champion of the World Cup 2010 pick of mine.). Great Episode! :D --- Randy
randywmorgan17May 12, 2010 4:36 PM
May 12, 2010 11:37 PM

Jul 2008
what he said at that manager meeting had a lot of truth behind it, they really got nothing to lose and the other teams have a lot to loose
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 14, 2010 2:38 PM

Nov 2009
I personally found this episode really boring. The ending didn't make sense, but my attitude toward the rest of the episode does not help.

Fish & Chips? I know a good place for some Fish & Chips. Next time i will treat you to fish and chips!
May 15, 2010 11:09 AM

Jun 2008
Kind of boring this time. Didn't have a problem of them showing the coach meeting but the whole thing went to slow.
It looks like they are going to get there ass kicked in the first much huh? Let's see how Tatsumi will handle the frustration after the defeat.

The bad thing about this anime is that when there is a game it doesn't compare to real football(well at least the good matches that is).
May 16, 2010 8:51 PM

May 2008
oh well they can get it back

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 19, 2010 2:55 PM

Jan 2010
asdf1248 said:
mugiwara84 said:
The guy's almost as bad Bayern's goalie...

At least you're not comparing him to Fabiański yet...

Or Almunia. Hell this keeper would probably be better than the both of them.
Oct 3, 2010 1:53 AM

Aug 2010
I loved Tatsumi's speech; he indirectly issued a challenge to all the teams that are ranked high. His English was pretty interesting to listen to as well. Usually in anime I can't tell what they are saying even when they are speaking in English. Thankfully, this series has subtitles for English and they speak a little more clearly.
Oct 31, 2010 2:16 PM

Aug 2009
It's getting interesting. And again, I tried to ignore the English they spoke.
Nov 20, 2010 9:52 AM

Jan 2008
really great so far, the frenchmans English actually seemed like English with a french accent :P
wasn't able to understand one word of the dutch coach or his translator :P

liked the fan support of the skulls, though i wasn't quite sure what kind of creatures those things on the banner were
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
May 21, 2012 4:57 AM

Jun 2011
NO!! Their opponent scored the first goal
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 7, 2013 10:01 AM

Jan 2008
Yet again I didn't succeed in catching my mother language on the first time listening and had to rewind. I could be wrong but sounded to me that the Dulfer was voiced by the same dutchman that did Samurai Champloo.

Great anime thus far
I hope you have a lovely day ♥ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )
Jan 11, 2014 4:46 PM

Mar 2010
The voices... THEY WERE AUTHENTIC!!!
Apr 6, 2015 6:09 AM

Apr 2009
lol that japanese guy dutch sucks :)
Apr 25, 2015 8:31 AM

Aug 2013
Naniiiiiiiiiiiii?! Ikinari doushitano?!
Dec 6, 2015 9:12 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
That ending was totally unexpected. Goalie thought it would be an easy catch and it ends up being a goal. The other guy who was chasing the ball thought it was a long cross and it somehow ends up as a goal.

The ETU fans sure are classy.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 5 Discussion

throwaway513846 - May 2, 2010

45 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 16 Discussion

helur - Jul 18, 2010

28 by cableguyjay »»
Sep 11, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 17 Discussion

BitchMaster - Jul 25, 2010

29 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Mar 19, 2023 10:04 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kagura89 - Apr 4, 2010

99 by ryzxgum »»
Jan 29, 2023 6:14 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 19 Discussion

devilangell - Aug 8, 2010

38 by Shiroko_kun »»
Oct 7, 2022 12:15 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.