Forum Settings
Forums

Can "bad message" be objective criticism? (I suggest reading the whole thing before answering)

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 28, 2023 8:24 PM

Sep 2018
I dislike that shitty dog fetish anime as much as the next guy, but didn't she just "am I weird?", like she understands herself that her "habits" aren't common/normal. I didn't get a "promoting" feeling from that. 

Though I agree with the general idea of the OP. A lot of people just hate on taboo shows cause it has said taboo in it, and that's final for them.
Jan 28, 2023 9:16 PM

Oct 2019
Anjuro said:
Apolygon2 said:

I can't really answer this without having seen kingdom, but knowing what kind of story it is, my guess is it will go ahead and show all the flaws and tragedies that come from that "message" while sending it. which makes it completely different. since it would be a showcase of a certain view point, not necessarily painting it as a great thing that you should do.

but again that's just my guess, so I will have to cease fire until I know what I'm talking about. which is probably for ever since I am very likely to forget or not care about this thread by the time I watch or read kingdom. 
It does touch on the tragedy of war but overwhelmingly the story is about the glorious reunification project of china. Every battle is a goddamn bloodbath and, they must have friends dying left and right and yet they completely shrug that under the rug. At one point they encounter a 'villain' who wants to kill them to get revenge for his village who was buried alive by them and the protagonist is like 'you know that sucks and all but it wasn't me that did it, now lets resume the fighting'. Almost inevitably a story that is about the exploits of great generals and their brilliant plans is going to make light of the tragedy and bloodshed of war, kingdom is no different. If kingdom was real life I would be appalled (which I guess it technically is since it's based on the real warring states era of china).

So to put it briefly, no, the message of kingdom does not really address the cruelty and senselessness of war ( compare to dororo for example which does a much better job in my opinion since the core premise is essentially commenting on the cruelty of sacrificing one for the good of many and quite literally has the pro-war faction make a deal with the devil (demons) to win the war. It even comments on the fact that the protagonist is not entirely justified in their violence to regain his freedom and that once it is all done he will have to learn to be 'human' again. It's heavy stuff once you get into it), it's all about the lofty dream of peace through war.

if you're right and that is actually the message and not just an element in the story, then I would say, in kingdom the message makes it slightly worse and it would have been better off not having it.

but all these aside I don't think my perspective is necessarily the only way to look at things. and I think there is a good case to be made against it.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jan 28, 2023 9:18 PM

Oct 2019
GakutoDeathGlare said:
I dislike that shitty dog fetish anime as much as the next guy, but didn't she just "am I weird?", like she understands herself that her "habits" aren't common/normal. I didn't get a "promoting" feeling from that. 

Though I agree with the general idea of the OP. A lot of people just hate on taboo shows cause it has said taboo in it, and that's final for them.

yeah, but it also had a whole thing about "being weird is ok"

which out of context sounds like a nice message, but it's not so much so when you know it's partly about giving an ok to fucking dogs.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jan 28, 2023 9:19 PM

May 2020
Apolygon2 said:
Anjuro said:
It does touch on the tragedy of war but overwhelmingly the story is about the glorious reunification project of china. Every battle is a goddamn bloodbath and, they must have friends dying left and right and yet they completely shrug that under the rug. At one point they encounter a 'villain' who wants to kill them to get revenge for his village who was buried alive by them and the protagonist is like 'you know that sucks and all but it wasn't me that did it, now lets resume the fighting'. Almost inevitably a story that is about the exploits of great generals and their brilliant plans is going to make light of the tragedy and bloodshed of war, kingdom is no different. If kingdom was real life I would be appalled (which I guess it technically is since it's based on the real warring states era of china).

So to put it briefly, no, the message of kingdom does not really address the cruelty and senselessness of war ( compare to dororo for example which does a much better job in my opinion since the core premise is essentially commenting on the cruelty of sacrificing one for the good of many and quite literally has the pro-war faction make a deal with the devil (demons) to win the war. It even comments on the fact that the protagonist is not entirely justified in their violence to regain his freedom and that once it is all done he will have to learn to be 'human' again. It's heavy stuff once you get into it), it's all about the lofty dream of peace through war.

if you're right and that is actually the message and not just an element in the story, then I would say, in kingdom the message makes it slightly worse and it would have been better off not having it.

but all these aside I don't think my perspective is necessarily the only way to look at things. and I think there is a good case to be made against it.
I think there are things to like about kingdom but I'm just trying to illustrate that a 'bad message' can still reside in a passable or even good show. Of course you are free to disagree and I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, just making my position clear. Anyway, we can leave it at that if you wish.
Jan 28, 2023 9:22 PM

Oct 2019
Anjuro said:
Apolygon2 said:

I think there are things to like about kingdom but I'm just trying to illustrate that a 'bad message' can still reside in a passable or even good show. Of course you are free to disagree and I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, just making my position clear. Anyway, we can leave it at that if you wish.

wait wait wait, don't get me wrong, I never think or thought a bad message ruins a show. it's just one negative element.

it's like having one bad character, or one plot hole. it doesn't mean a show that has it is automatically bad or not great.

the same way a show with a good message wouldn't automatically be a masterpiece. it's just a small part of what makes a fictional story good.

I was just saying that "bad message" is as valid as a complaint as weak animation, plot hole, or poor character arc.
Also available at:

Jan 28, 2023 9:26 PM

May 2020
Apolygon2 said:
Anjuro said:

wait wait wait, don't get me wrong, I never think or thought a bad message ruins a show. it's just one negative element.

it's like having one bad character, or one plot hole. it doesn't mean a show that has it is automatically bad or not great.

the same way a show with a good message wouldn't automatically be a masterpiece. it's just a small part of what makes a fictional story good.

I was just saying that "bad message" is as valid as a complaint as weak animation, plot hole, or poor character arc.
Oh, well then I seem to have fundamentally misunderstood what you were saying because I recall your position being that bad things happening in a show is acceptable in fiction but a bad message is over the line no matter what. What you're saying now is more along the lines of what I think as well. In that case maybe there's no disagreement at all.
Jan 28, 2023 9:37 PM

Oct 2019
Anjuro said:
Apolygon2 said:

Oh, well then I seem to have fundamentally misunderstood what you were saying because I recall your position being that bad things happening in a show is acceptable in fiction but a bad message is over the line no matter what. What you're saying now is more along the lines of what I think as well. In that case maybe there's no disagreement at all.

oh ok that makes sense. 

but I assure you as the title say, I was just trying to say that bad message can be valid or, I used that word wrong technically, but "objective" criticism. 

and criticism is just that, it doesn't ruin the show or anything like that.
Also available at:

Jan 28, 2023 9:42 PM

Jan 2013
Apolygon2 said:
LostSpectre said:
Why did you say it doesn't matter if the MC is a shitty rapist if it's for edgy fanservice, but yet you're bitching about an out of context line in a show that's about edgy fanservice? Your implication that this dumpster fire of a show is actually delivering a genuine message that it's OK to be different, including getting lewd with your dog, is completely asinine. That whole conversation is merely backstory for why the guy (dog) likes the girl, because she told him it's OK to be different in regards to him liking flowers/gardening. Absolutely no one (sane, at least) thinks it's OK to do what she's doing, but we don't have to, because it's literally just degenerate ecchi trash, there's no reason to overthink it. I can't even begin to take this shit seriously, she's an absolute freak, and it's hilariously fucking stupid. 

1. you are absolutely correct, despite the message making it worse for reasons that I will get into, no one in their right minds would take a trashy ecchi seriously enough to actually learn from it.

2. just because no one takes that message seriously it doesn't mean it's not there. the girl telling the mc it's ok to be different and then cutting to the dog version agreeing, is clearly saying "yeah we're both different and that's ok". the flowering is mirroring the the weird dog fetish as a weird quirk that should be excepted. 

listen I have analyzed enough and wrote enough to know what I'm talking about. this is pretty obvious stuff that you choose to ignore because it's from a trashy ecchi, which is fair enough, basically everyone would do that even if the message was actually good. 

but I'm saying is, since the only purpose of a message is to teach the audience, a bad message should result in a worse piece. even if it's something that no would actually listen to.

3. redo of healer is different, because it merely shows those elements in it's story for ecchi and edge. It's not promoting it, it's fetishizing it.

which is fine, the purpose of an ecchi or edgy action is to be hot or .... well edgy.

but a message being morally questionable, is making the message questionable, which means it's not as good of a message. because the whole point of a message is to teach something useful or at least positive. 
Absolutely not. Thinking the show is giving you a meaningful message that it's OK to bone your dog is fucking asinine, but you do you. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 28, 2023 10:31 PM

Oct 2019
LostSpectre said:
Apolygon2 said:

1. you are absolutely correct, despite the message making it worse for reasons that I will get into, no one in their right minds would take a trashy ecchi seriously enough to actually learn from it.

2. just because no one takes that message seriously it doesn't mean it's not there. the girl telling the mc it's ok to be different and then cutting to the dog version agreeing, is clearly saying "yeah we're both different and that's ok". the flowering is mirroring the the weird dog fetish as a weird quirk that should be excepted. 

listen I have analyzed enough and wrote enough to know what I'm talking about. this is pretty obvious stuff that you choose to ignore because it's from a trashy ecchi, which is fair enough, basically everyone would do that even if the message was actually good. 

but I'm saying is, since the only purpose of a message is to teach the audience, a bad message should result in a worse piece. even if it's something that no would actually listen to.

3. redo of healer is different, because it merely shows those elements in it's story for ecchi and edge. It's not promoting it, it's fetishizing it.

which is fine, the purpose of an ecchi or edgy action is to be hot or .... well edgy.

but a message being morally questionable, is making the message questionable, which means it's not as good of a message. because the whole point of a message is to teach something useful or at least positive. 
Absolutely not. Thinking the show is giving you a meaningful message that it's OK to bone your dog is fucking asinine, but you do you. 

idk what you mean by "meaningful" but yes, as dumb as it is, it was what the show was trying to say.

BUT, I will hold my horses. if the show is actually trying to say that, I doubt ep4 is the last time it will try to say it. we'll watch the show and see if it goes in the direction of sending that message. and If it doesn't, then I'm just wrong, and no show that I have seen has yet been dumb enough to actively promote a outlandish message like fucking a dog.
Also available at:

Jan 28, 2023 11:36 PM

Jan 2017
icefirestone23 said:

silent_knight98 said:
Dang, what a shame.....and here i was, desperately looking forward to watching the series. Thats why i hate western media  ┐⁠(⁠ ⁠˘⁠_⁠˘⁠)⁠┌
It will happen to Japanese media eventually. Demon Slayer already got smeared for its portrayal of women in season 2 by Japanese feminists. Also with the recent sales surge of shows like Bocchi the rock and Lycoris Recoil, basically all female shows, Aniplex may fall under the same trap that Bushiroad and Sunrise have fallen to. Where they focus so heavily on all female shows with no male characters like Bang Dram and Love Live, since it makes the most money out of insecure JP men. Not to mention that Crunchyroll is now the producer for a lot of shows and they will try modernize anime to appease liberal hollywood.

Doesn't help that reddit is almost completely down the liberal rabbit hole. And if the show has a ton of male characters with controversial depictions of women like tokyo revengers, it will get smeared
Yeah, I agree that there are a lot of all girls/yuri/gender bender shows nowadays but its because the japanese fanbase wants to consume that kind of stuff not because the anime industry is getting affected by feminist propaganda. Thats what i think. We are also getting 3-4 typical isekai harem shows every season, dont we? Like u've already said, anime studios want to cater to those insecure japanese people who prefer all girls cast coz it will make them money eventually. Will it revolutionize anime industry in a negative way? I dont think so. This trend will continue for some years then a new one will appear and so on. There have been a lot of cases in the past too where the West had tried to influence anime industry but failed miserably. Incest and Loli, its prime targets are still prevalent.

I havent watched Demon Slayer yet but even if it got critcised for all the reasons u mentioned, we will have to wait and see if anything changes in upcoming seasons and I am pretty sure things will remain the way they were, as long as it is profitable. Money and popularity plays a significant role in anime industry not what is morally right or wrong. I dont think u should worry about whether something is getting criticised/smeared or not. 

This is my opinion about the matter, from the experiences i've had after coming into this medium.
silent_knight98Jan 28, 2023 11:43 PM
Jan 29, 2023 12:27 AM

Jul 2017
Hmm, so I just finished reading all of that, and I have to say, this topic has actually come across my mind before in the past. 

why is it that I think that's a negative aspect despite believing that nothing is off limits in fiction?
If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, I think it boils down to "morally questionable elements being shown or talked about in anime" vs "morally questionable message being promoted by the creators," which I consider to be two very different things. Some people consider both to be bad, some believe that only the latter is bad, while others believe that neither are bad. 

From what I've seen and heard though, I don't think there are that many anime that outright promote morally questionable messages. There might be some questionable scenes for comedy purposes, or anime that cater to horny viewers with lewd fantasies or something, but I don't know if there are that many anime that make it obvious that their main message to the viewers is a morally bankrupt one. I haven't seen Redo of Healer and My Life as Inukai-san's Dog before, so I can't say for sure what the creators' messages and intentions are. But, if the message of My Life as Inukai-san's Dog is "you should make love to your dog too. That is a good thing, not a bad thing!" and they're not joking about that at all, then yeah, that's a bad message in my view, and it would be perfectly valid for one to deduct points from that anime when rating it. As for whether a bad message is objective or subjective criticism, I guess it would depend on what the individual message is that's being promoted. 

so what do you think, am I a hypocrite? Or does my way of thinking make sense?
No, I personally don't think you're being hypocritical about this. It sounds to me like people might've either misunderstood what you were trying to say, or they understood what you said but just disagreed.
Jan 29, 2023 12:48 AM

Oct 2019
kusairo said:
Hmm, so I just finished reading all of that, and I have to say, this topic has actually come across my mind before in the past. 

why is it that I think that's a negative aspect despite believing that nothing is off limits in fiction?
If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, I think it boils down to "morally questionable elements being shown or talked about in anime" vs "morally questionable message being promoted by the creators," which I consider to be two very different things. Some people consider both to be bad, some believe that only the latter is bad, while others believe that neither are bad. 

From what I've seen and heard though, I don't think there are that many anime that outright promote morally questionable messages. There might be some questionable scenes for comedy purposes, or anime that cater to horny viewers with lewd fantasies or something, but I don't know if there are that many anime that make it obvious that their main message to the viewers is a morally bankrupt one. I haven't seen Redo of Healer and My Life as Inukai-san's Dog before, so I can't say for sure what the creators' messages and intentions are. But, if the message of My Life as Inukai-san's Dog is "you should make love to your dog too. That is a good thing, not a bad thing!" and they're not joking about that at all, then yeah, that's a bad message in my view, and it would be perfectly valid for one to deduct points from that anime when rating it. As for whether a bad message is objective or subjective criticism, I guess it would depend on what the individual message is that's being promoted. 

so what do you think, am I a hypocrite? Or does my way of thinking make sense?
No, I personally don't think you're being hypocritical about this. It sounds to me like people might've either misunderstood what you were trying to say, or they understood what you said but just disagreed.

it makes me happy to see someone break down my thought and fully understand what I was saying.

you are correct that almost no show gives an outright wrong or criminal message, because most creators know doing so would be extremely dumb. the example I gave, is actually the only one that I could think of from every anime tv series or movie that I remember seeing.

in the case of that example "My Life as Inukai-san's Dog" it doesn't blatantly say "fucking dogs is good, go do that"

but there was a scene in episode 4, where the show was trying to give a feel good message of "being weird/different is ok" with the context being that, one guy is taking care of flowers despite being a dude, which is his weird quirk, and the other person.... wanting to fuck dogs.... and that being her weird side.

so in that context, saying "being weird is ok" is also saying "her wanting to bone the dog" is ok.

which is a step above blatantly saying go fuck your dog, but still.
Also available at:

Jan 29, 2023 4:22 AM

Jul 2021
LSSJ_Gaming said:
LostSpectre said:
Why would you ever expect some trashy, edgy, ecchi series to have the sort of serious moral introspection that Death Note has? lol
Because using rape for sexual gratification is stinky and bad, and it would have been better and more interesting to use something so cruel to tell a story with meaning and moral introspection than to just make it some edgy porn
But like, leaving morality out of the story is kind of the entire appeal of the show.
Jan 29, 2023 5:53 AM

Mar 2021
silent_knight98 said:
icefirestone23 said:

It will happen to Japanese media eventually. Demon Slayer already got smeared for its portrayal of women in season 2 by Japanese feminists. Also with the recent sales surge of shows like Bocchi the rock and Lycoris Recoil, basically all female shows, Aniplex may fall under the same trap that Bushiroad and Sunrise have fallen to. Where they focus so heavily on all female shows with no male characters like Bang Dram and Love Live, since it makes the most money out of insecure JP men. Not to mention that Crunchyroll is now the producer for a lot of shows and they will try modernize anime to appease liberal hollywood.

Doesn't help that reddit is almost completely down the liberal rabbit hole. And if the show has a ton of male characters with controversial depictions of women like tokyo revengers, it will get smeared
Yeah, I agree that there are a lot of all girls/yuri/gender bender shows nowadays but its because the japanese fanbase wants to consume that kind of stuff not because the anime industry is getting affected by feminist propaganda. Thats what i think. We are also getting 3-4 typical isekai harem shows every season, dont we? Like u've already said, anime studios want to cater to those insecure japanese people who prefer all girls cast coz it will make them money eventually. Will it revolutionize anime industry in a negative way? I dont think so. This trend will continue for some years then a new one will appear and so on. There have been a lot of cases in the past too where the West had tried to influence anime industry but failed miserably. Incest and Loli, its prime targets are still prevalent.

I havent watched Demon Slayer yet but even if it got critcised for all the reasons u mentioned, we will have to wait and see if anything changes in upcoming seasons and I am pretty sure things will remain the way they were, as long as it is profitable. Money and popularity plays a significant role in anime industry not what is morally right or wrong. I dont think u should worry about whether something is getting criticised/smeared or not. 

This is my opinion about the matter, from the experiences i've had after coming into this medium.
Well it is kind of intuitive for liberal media to attack "harems" since it is kind of sexist to attack an all female cast show that has a male mc for diversity. But get rid of men, and boom it is said to revolution women entertainment. So really what liberals want is exclusivity by featuring only all female casts vs inclusivity that has everyone. And the male otaku/hikimomori/incel is too afraid to object and just buys into it which is why lycoris and bocchi sold so highly
Jan 29, 2023 9:38 AM

Jan 2017
icefirestone23 said:
And the male otaku/hikimomori/incel is too afraid to object and just buys into it which is why lycoris and bocchi sold so highly
I dont think they are afraid of anything. Its just that all girls shows allow them to worship their waifus and make sure that they always remain virgin which is the epitome of purity for them.There have been some cases in Japan where a person has actually married a 2d character which shows to what extent their affection can go. Some otakus are very fervent when it comes to purity and hence it inclines them towards these kinds of shows. No male mc means no implied sex or so called 'indecent acts' and thus a fake sense of security.
Anyways, i do understand ur apprehensions but i like to be optimistic. Lets have faith that anime industry doesnt meet the same fate as of western media.
silent_knight98Jan 29, 2023 9:43 AM
Jan 29, 2023 12:21 PM

Oct 2017
I also think this, and it seems that plenty of people are trying to misinterpret it rather intentionally. I don't care if a show involves an absolutely horrible character or if there's a certain toxic mindset involving the plot, as long as it's written well and isn't treated like "they are the nice characters, you should strive to be like them", etc. At that point I hate it because I know the author is a POS. As for ecchi shows, the average show doesn't promote it lol. The girl/s (or guy/s) react negatively to it, and it's used for comedy (completely non-serious), not to send a certain message. Until I actually see a show celebrating sexual assault and sending a message that it's cool and okay to do, ecchi and this are not comparable. And even then: is it intentional, or lax?
Jan 29, 2023 12:38 PM

Nov 2020
StaleNut said:
Any piece of storytelling that slams a certain message in your face with 0 subtlety is pure garbage. Messages should be portrayed and hidden within the narrative, I hate when shows or movies deliberately tell you what the message is midway through the story and expect you to accept and respect it.

If it's promoting illegal or inhumane "messages", then that's a whole other story. Good or bad messages generally can be pretty subjective tho, that's why I'd rather a show focus on portrayal instead of giving an overreaching message that can end up being highly controversial.

Can you give some examples of where that annoyed you? Referring to your first paragraph
Jan 29, 2023 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
Apolygon2 said:
LostSpectre said:

idk what you mean by "meaningful" but yes, as dumb as it is, it was what the show was trying to say.

BUT, I will hold my horses. if the show is actually trying to say that, I doubt ep4 is the last time it will try to say it. we'll watch the show and see if it goes in the direction of sending that message. and If it doesn't, then I'm just wrong, and no show that I have seen has yet been dumb enough to actively promote a outlandish message like fucking a dog.
I think it's objectively wrong to say that the whole "it's OK to be different" message applies to her by extension, but it certainly falls flat coming from her, because she's off the fucking rails levels of "different". Still, that does not mean there's any message being directed to the viewer that her actions are justifiable in a real world sense, that was just a poor attempt to make her more likable or something, when we're just here for the trash, we don't need any backstory on this crazy bitch, just have her get naked more often. Plus, this is not a realistic show in any way, so even if they did justify her actions in universe, that wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with how the viewer should approach this subject in real life. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 29, 2023 12:51 PM
Nov 2019
Say-My-Name said:
Yveltal1612 said:

I have read your post and while I get what you mean I have to disagree with you, because the message "It's ok to be weird (or different)" and "accept people for who they are" are not terrible messages at all, in fact they are really nice, positive and good messages. Just because the anime which is telling them to you is weird as fuck or has some questionable content doesn't make them suddenly bad much less objectively bad. 

If the message were "bestiality is ok" then I would absolutely agree with you because that is a bad message and although the anime is indulging in it a lot, so far the show has not said anything along those lines. Not to mention it indulges in less "problematic" fetishes just as much, because that is what the show is about, it's fetish pandering/glorification to the nth degree

I absolutely disagree with this statement, there are absolutely and undeniably objectively bad messages. If someone writes a story and that story has a message like, lets say "if you're depressed, don't seek help just kill yourself" then that is an objectively bad (terrible even) message. 
And that is a subjective opinion. Regarding your take on beastality, I'd say a species that has a worldwide industry dedicated to killing animals en masse, has no right to complain about beastaity.
I am sorry, but I fail to see the connection between killing animals to have food to survive and wanting to fuck an animal. 
Jan 29, 2023 1:02 PM

Apr 2018
Those who see something like dog ecchi knew from the start what they were going to consume. It's not that there's no counter-plot, but shitting on the premise or the audience consuming it is what makes it difficult if those negative people are being dishonest or calling attention to themselves. That's why I prefer not to watch said anime because it will just seem strange to me from the beginning.

Regarding the general idea of what is morally questionable in the media, the public has certain tastes and that is why they look for something that they want to consume quickly. Heck, why would I want in every CGDCT a story full of symbolism and criticism instead of just seeing chibi girls going beachwear shopping? Or why watch an ecchi and then complain about the fanservice while glorifying Monogatari or DxD - I don't like to generalize these groups of fans, but unfortunately that experience has touched me.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Jan 29, 2023 3:19 PM

Oct 2019
LostSpectre said:
Apolygon2 said:

I think it's objectively wrong to say that the whole "it's OK to be different" message applies to her by extension, but it certainly falls flat coming from her, because she's off the fucking rails levels of "different". Still, that does not mean there's any message being directed to the viewer that her actions are justifiable in a real world sense, that was just a poor attempt to make her more likable or something, when we're just here for the trash, we don't need any backstory on this crazy bitch, just have her get naked more often. Plus, this is not a realistic show in any way, so even if they did justify her actions in universe, that wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with how the viewer should approach this subject in real life. 

again i agree. even if a show like this sends the best message ever no one would take it seriously because its a trashy seasonal ecchi.

but my argument is on something different. that a message that falls flat, or is generally bad advice, lessens the show, the same way a great lesson or life changing advice would add to it.

even if no one listens to the message, it being bad still takes something away from the story.

i'm not saying that it's show ruining.

even in this case i changed my score from a low 2 to a high 1.

its just one negative element among hundreds of things that can go right or wrong in a fictional story.

and again again, i will hold my horses to see if the show will push that message even further or not.
Also available at:

Jan 29, 2023 5:06 PM

Dec 2016
Not really.

As circumstances changes so too does the message. In a world where the average person needs only clothing, food, and shelter. Population isn't really an issue as the resources needed to sustain them is minimal. Therefore, acts that do not promote population propagation are frowned upon at best and deemed a social detriment at worst. 
As we progress in a more consumerist material world in which you aren't living if you don't have a smart phone population is a liability and detriment.  So, you get things like Bad Dragon cam shows and pseudo-bestiality. 
Obviously, there is a lot more to it than that.

Just ignore them and accept the one true waifu of AI that is objectively going to be the last real thing humanity invents.

"Well, you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope there’s no multiplying.” -Harmony, an AI sex robot
Jan 29, 2023 6:18 PM

Oct 2019
Rachiba said:
Those who see something like dog ecchi knew from the start what they were going to consume. It's not that there's no counter-plot, but shitting on the premise or the audience consuming it is what makes it difficult if those negative people are being dishonest or calling attention to themselves. That's why I prefer not to watch said anime because it will just seem strange to me from the beginning.

Regarding the general idea of what is morally questionable in the media, the public has certain tastes and that is why they look for something that they want to consume quickly. Heck, why would I want in every CGDCT a story full of symbolism and criticism instead of just seeing chibi girls going beachwear shopping? Or why watch an ecchi and then complain about the fanservice while glorifying Monogatari or DxD - I don't like to generalize these groups of fans, but unfortunately that experience has touched me.

I don't think it being an ecchi with a weird premise is a problem, and if you think that you missed my argument completely.

as I said I don't have a problem at all with a story having or even glorifying something like this.

the problem is when it actively goes out of it's way to promote it as a good thing.

which almost never happens, and this dog anime is the only example that I could think of.
Also available at:

Jan 29, 2023 6:37 PM

Apr 2018
Apolygon2 said:
Rachiba said:

I don't think it being an ecchi with a weird premise is a problem, and if you think that you missed my argument completely.

as I said I don't have a problem at all with a story having or even glorifying something like this.

the problem is when it actively goes out of it's way to promote it as a good thing.

which almost never happens, and this dog anime is the only example that I could think of.
It doesn't make sense, the current social consensus is supposed to be that what we consider questionable is frowned upon to apply in real life. for several reasons. The fetishism that is wanted to be given in a work of fiction will not guarantee that society will make a change of idea from one day to the next, less when this is consumed by a niche of furry-loving people.

You'd have to judge people in advance for liking things like Gardevoir or anime like Kodomo no Jikan, but it's a waste of time to witch-hunt for the liking of a fictional and unreal character.

I haven't seen the dog anime for the same reason: I'm not really into furries. But I'm not being a hero for not consuming something that apparently promotes bestiality, and this doesn't mean that people care about this - except for a sensitive group of people like the top 1 reviews - when the point of that kind of program it is that the audience is drawn to the heroine of that show.

Jan 29, 2023 6:56 PM

Oct 2019
Rachiba said:
Apolygon2 said:

It doesn't make sense, the current social consensus is supposed to be that what we consider questionable is frowned upon to apply in real life. for several reasons. The fetishism that is wanted to be given in a work of fiction will not guarantee that society will make a change of idea from one day to the next, less when this is consumed by a niche of furry-loving people.

You'd have to judge people in advance for liking things like Gardevoir or anime like Kodomo no Jikan, but it's a waste of time to witch-hunt for the liking of a fictional and unreal character.

I haven't seen the dog anime for the same reason: I'm not really into furries. But I'm not being a hero for not consuming something that apparently promotes bestiality, and this doesn't mean that people care about this - except for a sensitive group of people like the top 1 reviews - when the point of that kind of program it is that the audience is drawn to the heroine of that show.

it's not about that, it's about the nature of a message in a story.

I couldn't care less about a show like this actually affecting real world. even if it had the best message ever, no one would take it seriously knowing it came from a fetish seasonal ecchi with low production value. 

I'm talking about the quality, in the sense of writing, animation or music.

a message is a part of a piece, and as part of the piece it has a purpose. that purpose being to teach the audience something, it's why a message exists. 

it can be a simple and obvious thing that everyone already knows, or it can be deep philosophical advice that can change a person's entire way of thinking about the world.

so that's why I believe a bad message is a critical problem, not because it would negatively affect the world, but because a message that gives poor or questionable advice/lessons is a bad message.

and since the message is a part of the piece, it being bad makes a worse story. the same way a poorly animated scene, a plot hole, or an inconsistent character arc would make for a worse story.
Also available at:

Jan 29, 2023 7:10 PM

Apr 2018
Apolygon2 said:
Rachiba said:

I couldn't care less about a show like this actually affecting real world. even if it had the best message ever, no one would take it seriously knowing it came from a fetish seasonal ecchi with low production value. 

a message is a part of a piece, and as part of the piece it has a purpose. that purpose being to teach the audience something, it's why a message exists. 

it can be a simple and obvious thing that everyone already knows, or it can be deep philosophical advice that can change a person's entire way of thinking about the world.

so that's why I believe a bad message is a critical problem, not because it would negatively affect the world, but because a message that gives poor or questionable advice/lessons is a bad message.

and since the message is a part of the piece, it being bad makes a worse story. the same way a poorly animated scene, a plot hole, or an inconsistent character arc would make for a worse story.
But what is wrong with the dog anime in this case? What is an ecchi about a dog? I agree that how a story is written will make the audience judge whether this is of interest to them. I watch a harem/ecchi because of the girls (since the cast is usually predominantly female) and the fanservice, but if the show itself isn't interesting I just turn to another page. There are things that can be criticized about what one consumes WHEN you see what happens in each chapter, but already having a predisposition that the initial premise of the anime is automatically wrong and promotes something like "good/bad" is simply that you are not its target.

It is not the same to criticize Usagi Drop for implementing incest than Kiss x Sis/Oreimo for being an anime dedicated to incest.

Jan 29, 2023 8:27 PM

Oct 2019
Rachiba said:
Apolygon2 said:

But what is wrong with the dog anime in this case? What is an ecchi about a dog? I agree that how a story is written will make the audience judge whether this is of interest to them. I watch a harem/ecchi because of the girls (since the cast is usually predominantly female) and the fanservice, but if the show itself isn't interesting I just turn to another page. There are things that can be criticized about what one consumes WHEN you see what happens in each chapter, but already having a predisposition that the initial premise of the anime is automatically wrong and promotes something like "good/bad" is simply that you are not its target.

It is not the same to criticize Usagi Drop for implementing incest than Kiss x Sis/Oreimo for being an anime dedicated to incest.

no because from what i know none of those 2 shows go out of their way to send a message with their weird premise.

to give a very obvious and extreme example.

there is a huge difference between a game about killing random people in cool ways.

and a game that tells you killing random people is a good thing and you should except serial killers for who they are.

kiss x sis isn't trying to tell you incest is good. its just trying to get you horny.

and that is in not the same as directcly promoting incest.
Also available at:

Jan 29, 2023 8:46 PM

Jul 2022
Yveltal1612 said:
Say-My-Name said:
And that is a subjective opinion. Regarding your take on beastality, I'd say a species that has a worldwide industry dedicated to killing animals en masse, has no right to complain about beastaity.
I am sorry, but I fail to see the connection between killing animals to have food to survive and wanting to fuck an animal. 
It is weird to consider one perfectly normal, while the other as a sinful, immoral act.
Jan 29, 2023 8:59 PM

Oct 2019
Say-My-Name said:
Yveltal1612 said:
It is weird to consider one perfectly normal, while the other as a sinful, immoral act.

well to be fair, you wouldn't have a show trying to convince you killing animals is a good thing either. we do it and it's normal for us, but no one is pushing it as "great thing" either.

you are correct though. I can very easily imagine a world were the opposite is true, and animals being used as sex things is a lot more excepted than killing them.

but the thing is, if you want to actually send a message that conveys this, you need good writing and to show different percpectives.

saying a show promoting fucking dogs isn't that bad for that reason, is giving way too much credit to that random ecchi show. 

the truth is, in today's society, fucking dogs is an absolutely terrible message, if the show wanted to have an expectable message relating to that subject, it would need to aim for something way more fundamental and do a lot more to make it work. a 1 minute flash back in a poorly written and low budget ecchi trash, doing it in the way it did, is just bad. 

we're the ones who dragged something that can be argued out of it, the show didn't. what the show has is just a terrible message that would land you jail in most places. it's not about the morality of it contrasting with how we kill animals, it's just saying "yeah being weird is ok, even if the weirdness is wanting to bone da dog"
Also available at:

Jan 30, 2023 8:04 AM

Apr 2018
Apolygon2 said:
Rachiba said:

no because from what i know none of those 2 shows go out of their way to send a message with their weird premise.

to give a very obvious and extreme example.

there is a huge difference between a game about killing random people in cool ways.

and a game that tells you killing random people is a good thing and you should except serial killers for who they are.

kiss x sis isn't trying to tell you incest is good. its just trying to get you horny.

and that is in not the same as directcly promoting incest.
I used these examples because other people would use it to say that these anime are bad for being incestuous or promoting it. In the case of Usagi Drop it is understandable why this route is unreal, in Oreimo/Kiss X Sis it makes no sense because the content you are going to consume is already implicit from before. With the latter is where I want to go because some people become dishonest by complaining about their premise taken from Wikipedia instead of how it develops, or simply say that they are intolerant of the content.

It does not matter if a video game shows violence, some people may feel sensitive to the content and may wish that this should not be public. Playing GTA promotes the child to commit hitman, gang warfare and money trafficking?

And in the case of the dog it goes the same way: it is a fetishistic fantasy for people who identify with the Makima meme. I don't understand why people care so much about the dog instead of the girl that is what that ecchi wants to sell.

Jan 30, 2023 8:33 AM

Oct 2016
I think I never agreed more with a post here than now, wish I could save it somewhere, like tweets or so.
Jan 30, 2023 8:52 AM

Oct 2014
Apolygon2 said:
so what do you think, am I a hypocrite?
You're a hypocrite only because you desperately want to cling to the idea that nothing is off limits in fiction, when that simply isn't true.

Objective criticism? You mean valid criticism? To evaluate something objectively you need a framework to operate in that will determine, independently of your opinion, whether or not something is A or B. You can create a framework, for example a moral one, and use that to decide whether or not something is in-line with what you morally value. For example, if in your framework you view beastiality as immoral, and said show has beastiality normalization and promotion, that would be objectively immoral to you.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 30, 2023 9:05 AM
Dec 2011
Not going to bother reading all of that. The sooner you grow up and learn to enjoy this hobby instead of taking everything seriously and thinking your opinion actually matters the better you will feel with your life and yourself.
Jan 30, 2023 9:07 AM

Feb 2019
I think it can be, you can't say you're objectively correct on whether a series is moral or not but you can talk about the subject of the message objectively and there's nothing wrong with believing that a message is harmful and that it shouldn't be supported. I agree with you to an extent more but the issue isn't really the shows themselves a lot of times but what the audience takes from it and if people act on the mesaage given, the show you're talking about isn't particularly popular so you don't need to worry about it spreading something you hate much
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

18 by animegamer245 »»
35 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

82 by LostSpectre »»
38 seconds ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 5 minutes ago

0 by Peach_Main »»
5 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9049 by thatoneguy2440 »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

13 by -Aurelius- »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.