Forum Settings
Forums

It's impossible for isekai protagonists to be Chinese

New
Jan 27, 2023 3:30 AM

Nov 2018
Did you know that China banned reincarnation due to Buddhist monks in Tibet?

The government has banned Tibet’s Buddhist monks from reincarnating without their permission. This is due to their ongoing conflict over gaining control over the region. Once the Dalai Lama dies, the Chinese government will try to move in and install their own successor, whereas the monks will choose their own. There might be the case of there being two Dalai Lamas in the future.

By that logic, that means it's illegal for an isekai MC to be Chinese as the government prohibits it.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 27, 2023 3:48 AM

Oct 2010
interesting, well tibet is irrelevant anyways, so that means they banned redo of healer too, that is sad
Jan 27, 2023 3:49 AM
Oct 2019
Ah i seen youve never heard of manhwa
Jan 27, 2023 3:59 AM

May 2018
"It's impossible for isekai protagonists to be Chinese"

How do you explain donghua like Yuan Long (aka Carp Reborn) than?

"By that logic, that means it's illegal for an isekai MC to be Chinese as the government prohibits it."

How about incidental reincarnation?
Jan 27, 2023 4:05 AM
Dec 2022
There are some manhua series with themes with reincarnations. Fictions stay in fictions.
Jan 27, 2023 4:06 AM

Feb 2013
this rule shouldnt apply to the chinese diaspora, so maybe a singaporean chinese can reincarnate
Jan 27, 2023 4:09 AM

Apr 2018
I thought Buddhists always try to achieve  Moksha, they don't wanna reincarnate its Dukh for them.

Jan 27, 2023 4:09 AM

Dec 2015
Sounds rather  fun, as China is releasing more Isekai shows then Japan.

Jan 27, 2023 4:12 AM
Jun 2022
China is as wacky as ever it seems. Well, good for them.
Jan 27, 2023 4:13 AM

May 2019
I guess truck-kun can do nothing in china.
Jan 27, 2023 4:26 AM
Dec 2022
BTW, reincarnation is established when a character on the planet Earth reincarnates to a baby or a very young animal in the current planet Earth after some time. Isekai literally means "[transfering to] another world". Reasonably isekai doesn't fit to the Chinese legal definition of reincarnation as well as the definition of Buddhist reincarnation itself.

Luckily based on my personaly experience, isekai themes don't look to be popular in China. I don't personally get bombarded by isekai stuff a lot for Chinese webtoons.
Jan 27, 2023 4:34 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
daily reminder that isekai and reincarnation aren't two equal terms
Jan 27, 2023 4:48 AM

Jun 2017
MalchikRepaid said:
BTW, reincarnation is established when a character on the planet Earth reincarnates to a baby or a very young animal in the current planet Earth after some time. Isekai literally means "[transfering to] another world". Reasonably isekai doesn't fit to the Chinese legal definition of reincarnation as well as the definition of Buddhist reincarnation itself.

This user speaketh sooth. In fact, the ban on reincarnation on Earth will logically lead not to less but to MORE Chinese isekai, if that is the only outlet for people with the reincarnation urge.

Jan 27, 2023 4:53 AM

Apr 2018
Chinese Isekai MC actually be like: "Psh, whadda they gonna do about it? Kill themselves and break their own law to come over here and arrest me? Let 'em try. Now, where are those tittays?"
Jan 27, 2023 4:54 AM

Feb 2020
Definitely not impossible in my opinion.
Jan 27, 2023 4:57 AM

Sep 2020
They could always just break the law to reincarnate.
Jan 27, 2023 5:24 AM

Dec 2015
"Dear Chinese Citizen #232421113,

We send this message to inform about the decision regarding your reincarnation. 

Our commitee has decided to reincarnate you into another world with the following settings: power fantasy, paradise harem and good animation, but due to legal constraints with your goverment, we were not able to proceed with this action. This means that we will have apply the default European setting and send your soul to hell instead, as this is the only afterlife option your goverment has not banned of being accessible to its' citizens. Please understand our situation and we sincerely apologize for any inconviniences this might have caused.

If you have any questions, please understand that our mailing system accepts messages only from living or celestial beings. Otherwise, they will be moved to spam folder and due to safety regulations we will not be able to respond to them.

We wish that your trip to hell instead will be more successful,
Departament of Reincarnation"

The perfect parody isekai premise.
Jan 27, 2023 9:53 AM

Aug 2018
woah, too bad for them i guess. bet they're really missing out.
Jan 27, 2023 12:31 PM

Jan 2021
Interesting bro, now go touch some grass. Never thought someone would make a link between Buddhism and anime.
Jan 27, 2023 9:51 PM
Dec 2022
mrcynosimp said:
woah, too bad for them i guess. bet they're really missing out.
As I proved, it's false.
AwokenStroken said:
They could always just break the law to reincarnate.
Persecution of Buddhism has been a theme in China even before the modern era.
Stygian_Prisoner said:
Chinese Isekai MC actually be like: "Psh, whadda they gonna do about it? Kill themselves and break their own law to come over here and arrest me? Let 'em try. Now, where are those tittays?"
That doesn't seem to be reincarnation.
Tirinchas said:
In fact, the ban on reincarnation on Earth will logically lead not to less but to MORE Chinese isekai, if that is the only outlet for people with the reincarnation urge.
What's surprising is that even modern Chinese wuxia novels don't usually have reincarnation as a theme. Turns out that Chinese folk religious practices and ideas have inspirations much closer to Taoism and Confucianism, not Buddhism per se.

Not all people in this part of Asia believe in Buddhism.
Jan 27, 2023 9:59 PM
Nov 2020
Ya Boy Kongming! has chinese protagonist as I remember
Feb 4, 2023 12:05 PM
Dec 2017
LOL oof Ccp on some crack as always i see.

Feb 4, 2023 5:59 PM

Oct 2012
That's a garbage troll take (i.e. intentionally inflammatory), since half the donghuas are practically isekai.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 4, 2023 6:25 PM

Oct 2022
Wow I'm surprised you haven't heard of the infamous COURTING DEATH (not an actual threat).

I read plenty of isekai manhuas, many of them are badly translated and comprised of dumb plots and storytelling, badly drawn sexual appealing women, arrogant MCs who have game-like systems, and of course COURTING DEATH. Which is why many manga readers consider them as trashuas

This checklist summaries what most manhuas have.

Feb 4, 2023 6:56 PM
Dec 2022
Crow_Black said:
LOL oof Ccp on some crack as always i see.
It wouldn't be the CPC (the correct initialism) that would manage laws like reincarnation on the whim. It would be the United Front Work Department, the Ministry of State Security, the People's Police, and the informal United Front civilian networks that would deal with religious affairs, including Buddhist ones, as a top priority.

Besides, these reincarnation-related laws only apply to sects of Tibetan Buddhism. Frankly, religious people in China just become party members of satellite parties of the CPC instead.

Edit: Buddhists are not regulated tightly in China. That honor would go to Chinese Christians.
MalchikRepaidFeb 4, 2023 7:10 PM
Feb 4, 2023 7:05 PM

Oct 2012
HyroSan said:
Wow I'm surprised you haven't heard of the infamous COURTING DEATH (not an actual threat).

I read plenty of isekai manhuas, many of them are badly translated and comprised of dumb plots and storytelling, badly drawn sexual appealing women, arrogant MCs who have game-like systems, and of course COURTING DEATH. Which is why many manga readers consider them as trashuas
Haha, very true that a lot of donghua are repetitive in this way. However, even though shounen scripts are a little more varied, we could similarly make such a list for the isekais and MHA's of Japanese anime. I was bored and watching The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World yesterday, and I thought to myself, my God, this is exactly like one of those shitty donghuas.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 4, 2023 7:27 PM

Oct 2022
katsucats said:
HyroSan said:

Haha, very true that a lot of donghua are repetitive in this way. However, even though shounen scripts are a little more varied, we could similarly make such a list for the isekais and MHA's of Japanese anime. I was bored and watching The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World yesterday, and I thought to myself, my God, this is exactly like one of those shitty donghuas.
Yea, I currently watching the show right now and feeling dropping it. Now that I'm thinking about it, most recent isekai manga has a similar route that most manhua takes, except without the obvious COURTING DEATH. It makes me appreciate more to Korean loner manhwas. 
HyroSanFeb 4, 2023 7:57 PM

Feb 4, 2023 9:42 PM

Oct 2012
HyroSan said:
katsucats said:
Yea, I currently watching the show right now and feeling dropping it. Now that I'm thinking about it, most recent isekai manga has a similar route that most manhua takes, except without the obvious COURTING DEATH. It makes me appreciate more to Korean loner manhwas. 
It might not have "you're courting death!", but it has the perennial "go die!", "this is impossible!", "arrogant!", and "you forced me!!" lol
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 4, 2023 10:12 PM

Oct 2014
How do you explain the existence of isekai manhua/dongua then? I guess those characters must have reincarnated illegally.
Feb 4, 2023 11:25 PM
Dec 2018
tysonfist764 said:
Ya Boy Kongming! has chinese protagonist as I remember
Is that anime considered an isekai? I thought the MC just traveled into the future, not a different world.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Feb 5, 2023 12:00 AM
Dec 2022
Conceptualhero said:
Is that anime considered an isekai? I thought the MC just traveled into the future, not a different world.
What's more interesting is that if we want to be very historical, Kongming was part of the functionnaries of statecraft, most likely that he did not know the level of understanding what reincarnation was. Buddhism around his lifetime was interpreted as a variant of Daoism of foreign origin.

You're right. It wouldn't be isekai in this franchise's case.
Feb 5, 2023 12:11 AM

Dec 2020
funniest mal user

character limit.
Feb 5, 2023 1:24 AM

Sep 2018
I've banned Chinese cartoons myself so it won't effect me.

Crappy censorship like this is the reason why.
Feb 5, 2023 4:25 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Thread locked

Anime Discussion Rules: 5. Please refrain from posting thread topics which extend beyond the discussion of anime/manga as an entertainment medium to highly-debated social and/or moral issues. This includes but is not limited to: pedophilia, gender/racial equality, sexual orientation, etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 4 hours ago

9 by TRC_Randy »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 6 hours ago

22 by Maou_heika »»
5 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 9 hours ago

9 by velvetnyan »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

46 by GentleDragonite »»
13 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

70 by Pikmin404 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.