Forum Settings
Forums
Jan 21, 5:12 PM

Apr 2018
Shoujo Anime is pretty dead. But would reverse engineering it with what makes Battle Shounen so successful help revitalize it? Think Shoujo but with fights and a power system. That way it has the spicy drama along with the HYPE from Battle Shounen.
DragevardJan 21, 5:27 PM
Jan 21, 5:33 PM

Jul 2021
So I just read a manwha about school bullying, in one of those all girls Catholic schools.
That should kind of qualify as a battle shoujo.
Jan 21, 6:48 PM

Nov 2022
Isn't girls too concerned with senpai noticing them to fight.

Even if it is all girls fight like GuP, it will not be shoujo genre. It will be seinen.

I am actually all for all girls fights. It will work charm just like GuP did.

We can really get lots of awesome stuff this way. Poor cute little moe girls kill each other to death and cry. (Madoka Magica (also a seinen) on steroids)
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 21, 6:50 PM

Jun 2016
There is:
- Sailor Moon
- Pretty Cure series
- Akatsuki no Yona
- Children of the Whales
Jan 21, 6:55 PM

Aug 2018
Someone once said to me that Juuni Kokuki looks like a shoujo Berserk. Which is kinda accurate. Although there isn't a whole lot of actual fighting in it, it could possibly fit into the battle shoujo genre. More like battle Josei though.
Jan 21, 7:24 PM
not awake

Jul 2017
Yes. See Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Honestly I wish there were more, they have so much potential to grow off of outside of Magical Girl tropes.
Tell me Izuku. Will I reach you, someday?
Jan 21, 7:26 PM

Jul 2016
epidemia78 said:
Someone once said to me that Juuni Kokuki looks like a shoujo Berserk. Which is kinda accurate. Although there isn't a whole lot of actual fighting in it, it could possibly fit into the battle shoujo genre. More like battle Josei though.
i don't agree that juuni kokuki is like a "shoujo berserk" at all nor even call it "battle" shoujo or shoujo. it offers its own monster of chinese mythology, politics, conflicts, tension, and quite different fantasy rules. the short and unfinished anime adaptation shows the different and extended point of views of characters outside of youko, which in the longer novels are explored much more in depth. but that is your opinion.
Jan 21, 7:33 PM

Aug 2018
Cazqui-09 said:
epidemia78 said:
i don't agree that juuni kokuki is like a "shoujo berserk" at all nor even call it "battle" shoujo or shoujo. it offers its own monster of chinese mythology, politics, conflicts, tension, and quite different fantasy rules. the short and unfinished anime adaptation shows the different and extended point of views of characters outside of youko, which in the longer novels are explored much more in depth. but that is your opinion.
it's a very brutal fantasy world but the show features a lot of raw and complex human emotion. Thats why I think the comparison fits.

But I haven't read past the first few chapters of Berserk so yeah
Jan 21, 8:40 PM

Oct 2010
another one of those braindead "shoujo is just romance" threads, why don't you just watch shoujo and then talk
Jan 21, 8:48 PM
Jul 2022
That my friend, is called Revue Starlight. What could be considered a battle shojo of sorts. 
Jan 21, 9:49 PM

Nov 2011
I am not sure if I should reply seriously to a thread by @Dragevard.

But there are already some shoujo with action a.k.a. battle shoujo, like Yona, Basara, or even Cardcaptor Sakura.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jan 22, 12:20 AM

Mar 2008
Catalano said:
another one of those braindead "shoujo is just romance" threads, why don't you just watch shoujo and then talk

But a battle over romance would be fun lol
Jan 22, 12:55 AM

Aug 2022
Isn't Sailor Moon a battle shoujo? I'm pretty sure we already have those. It's just that most of em are garbage and get no attention.
Jan 22, 1:03 AM
Aug 2021
Not much of a demographic for that content unless you're already a shonen fan.
Jan 22, 1:04 AM

Apr 2018
There is one called cardcollector Sakura or something, it sucks though.

Jan 22, 1:14 AM

Nov 2022
Utena is more of a symbolism/literary fiction than battles. But it does have battles.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 22, 8:41 AM
Dec 2021
(laughs in entire pretty cure franchise)
Jan 22, 8:53 AM

Jun 2015
pretty rhythm comes to mind

i like alll girls fighting, well like ikki tousen. but with shojo lolis
Jan 22, 8:56 AM

Feb 2020
That sounds like Pretty Cure to me......
Jan 22, 9:03 AM

Sep 2018
Felori said:
There is:
- Sailor Moon
- Pretty Cure series
- Akatsuki no Yona
- Children of the Whales
Saying Akatsuki no Yona is a battle shoujo is honestly really accurate
Jan 22, 9:18 AM

Jul 2015
You mean battle shounen, but girls fighting instead of boys?
Well, i'm still waiting for Honkai Impact to get an adaptation.
Also, Symphogear exists and it's pretty good (except one VERY bad thing about it).
Jan 22, 9:34 AM

Jul 2021
Catalano said:

I mean, what else is there?
Some magical girl stuff... Oh and Banana fish. But that's basically just an edgy BL.
Jan 22, 9:36 AM

Mar 2020
Felori said:
There is:
- Sailor Moon
- Pretty Cure series
- Akatsuki no Yona
- Children of the Whales

On the more obscure side, Banana Fish is considered shoujo demographic. Guns, drug-dealing, "martial arts" (in the manga it's present in some parts), deaths, etc. Unless OP meant female MC, which is a different thing (El Cazador de la Bruja has mostly female cast and a bit similar to Banana Fish in terms of guns and MCs couple, not sure about the demographic but I don't think it's shoujo).

Also, +1 to Pretty Cure.

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Jan 22, 10:06 AM

Feb 2016
Deane said:
Saying Akatsuki no Yona is a battle shoujo is honestly really accurate
That would explain why I dislike it.
その目だれの目?
Jan 22, 10:46 AM
Jun 2022
For some reason I was thinking of ecchi-action anime as "battle shoujo". Shoujo can have action, but a lot of the titles are not adapted into anime.
Jan 22, 11:02 AM
Oct 2020
Yes it will work if made properly. I don't remember any name, but I believe there are few out there already 
Jan 22, 11:19 AM

Apr 2012
JaniSIr said:
Catalano said:

I mean, what else is there?
Some magical girl stuff... Oh and Banana fish. But that's basically just an edgy BL.

Rose of Versailles, Utena, X, Sabagebu, everything in types 1-3 mahou shoujo, Oniisama e...

It turns out girls do actually like quite a few different types of story too.
Jan 22, 11:21 AM

Dec 2021
something like chihayafuru aka the greatest anime ever made??
Jan 22, 11:34 AM

Mar 2022
It would work better with characters that look like Maki zenin and hizuru instead of the characters looking like they belong in cgdct or magical girls anime..
I want girls to be badass and have nice body like Roberta, revy, Sofia, Chiquita etc and not like girls from   toji no miko
ryo-sanJan 22, 11:38 AM
Apparently, I've discovered that I can take these yawn filled days & turn them into movies..
Starry skies at night are beautiful but I wish it would rain and cleanse this shitty world...
Jan 22, 11:41 AM

Mar 2022
perfectionFound said:

Bruh you don't even know the rules or how to play karuta..
much like those people who like March comes in like a lion but don't know how to play shogi..
hiraku no go fans never even seen a go board.
Apparently, I've discovered that I can take these yawn filled days & turn them into movies..
Starry skies at night are beautiful but I wish it would rain and cleanse this shitty world...
Jan 22, 12:02 PM

Dec 2021
ryo-san said:
perfectionFound said:

much like those people who like March comes in like a lion but don't know how to play shogi..
ehh?
after 75 episodes I'm quite sure I know how to play a game that a 5 years old child can play but that doesn't mather anyways lol
Jan 22, 12:09 PM

Apr 2012
ryo-san said:
perfectionFound said:

And then there are those silly people who like Evangelion but don't even know how to pilot a mecha.
Jan 22, 12:30 PM

Jan 2013
I'm sure there's already some manga like that, so yeah. 
Jan 22, 12:39 PM

May 2020
Yes. Its called Nichijou (Nichi is short for Nihon Chanbara and Jou is from shoujo)
Jan 22, 12:49 PM
Mar 2021
absolutely it would. Yona of the Dawn exists, after all. I think epic romantic fantasy is the best for this, but a lot of mahou shoujo is literally already this. Symphogear is maybe a little bit too shounen to count, but it clearly also has some shoujo influences.
Jan 22, 1:03 PM
Jul 2019
Tell me you haven't seen any actual shoujo without telling me lol.

Sailor Moon, Legend of Basara, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Juuni Kokuki, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Precure, Hakuoki, Karneval, Children Of The Whales, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Magic Knight Rayearth, DN Angel

And many more shoujosei have action and adventure.
tsukiiyonJan 22, 1:35 PM
Jan 22, 1:05 PM

Mar 2022
perfectionFound said:
ryo-san said:

ehh?
after 75 episodes I'm quite sure I know how to play a game that a 5 years old child can play but that doesn't mather anyways lol

No you won't understand when they read out the lines in traditional Japanese so you won't able to figure out which card out of an array of cards is required before an opponent does..
Jan 22, 1:11 PM

Mar 2022
logopolis said:
ryo-san said:

And then there are those silly people who like Evangelion but don't even know how to pilot a mecha.

Nobody mentioned Evangelion before you did.. You love this anime...
Actually nobody knows how to pilot big robots since they don't exist in the world, so everyone in the same position..
but there are lots of western people who know how to play shogi, mahjong, go, karuta so if they watch animes, then they are better placed to give an opinion about the anime with these themes since they understand it better because they know the rules and the moves..
Jan 22, 1:33 PM

May 2021
What you talking about? Battle shoujo already exist
Jan 22, 3:21 PM

Feb 2016
tsukiiyon said:
Saiunkoku Monogatari
On what planet is Saiunkoku a battle show?
その目だれの目?
Jan 23, 8:04 AM
Jul 2019
Lucifrost said:
tsukiiyon said:
Saiunkoku Monogatari
On what planet is Saiunkoku a battle show?
That is why I added "adventure" since adventure series still have
battle somewhere in them
Jan 23, 8:07 AM

Mar 2022
I'm pretty sure that battle shoujo already exists, in way? I mean, I'd call Sailor Moon and other magical girl anime battle shoujo.
Those somber dreams may be fading out of view, but you should continue to chase them.
-月光, Harumaki Gohan & Konnichiwa Tanita-san
Jan 24, 9:08 PM

Oct 2014
Magical girl, or more specifically magical girl warrior (obviously stuff like Ultra Maniac, Flying Witch, Aikatsu, etc aren't about battles) are what you would be referring to with "battle shoujo". It's a genre that's existed for nearly as long as anime has been airing on TV.

More topics from this board

» Crunchyroll is censoring even subtitles now! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Fukia - Jan 29

187 by FacelessVixen »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Women scare me. ( 1 2 3 )

Mood_Booster - Jan 29

101 by yourpizzaguy »»
6 minutes ago

» AnimeJapan 2023 Schedule of Potential Shows

KANLen09 - 10 minutes ago

0 by KANLen09 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Fav Villain Here?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

26 by timeforproblems »»
17 minutes ago

» If you could select one of each, which of your favorites do you believe to be the most unique or one of a kind? And conversely, which is the most generic? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Jan 29

50 by poundscoin »»
31 minutes ago