Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 20, 2023 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
So they found out about Miri's mom but at the same time, I have no doubt that Kazuki has grown to really care for the kid.

Miri's childish personality continues to show, seems they're pushing it more and more with each episode. However, it is a somewhat realistic potray of her character since she is a child. I do find it awkward when she's playing with Rei compared to Kazuki. Rei looked like she wanted to go home lol
Jan 20, 2023 10:29 AM

Feb 2019
I feel really bad for miri’s mom and all victims of domestic abuse. She’s so stuck in her suffering and internal strife that she doesn’t realise the blessing she has. Seeing her take up for her boyfriend after he beat her and hit a random dude for just talking to her was sad and unfortunately something very real. Pretty easy to shit on her as a character but there’s obviously some severe mental issues and deep rooted trauma that caused her to be this way.

The episode gives us a nice juxtaposition of how people deal with trauma. You can wallow in it and continue to go further and further into the dark or you can choose to be better as Rei ultimately does by taking on the papa role with Miri, a figure he never had in his own life. It’s an anime but it’s an example of two very real types of people that we see too often.
Jan 20, 2023 10:46 AM

Feb 2017
The story beats are all pretty predictable but it's still an enjoyable show. I liked that this episode focused on Rei and Miri together a bit more, the bathtub scene was cute. It seems like both the guys have sad back stories, I'm interested to learn more about them. I also wonder if Miri is going to realize what happened with her mom and dad or if she's going to continue being kinda oblivious.
Jan 20, 2023 10:48 AM

Mar 2020
There were some dark themes present here, but ones that are very grounded in reality. Each character in this episode had a traumatic past, including Miri’s mom. Obviously she and Rei had very different situations, and each handled it differently. Miri’s mom is in constant pain, and getting into more relationships might numb that, even if they are abusive, whereas Rei decided to become a bit more responsible for people in the present, and act as someone who never existed in his life.

Obviously this show has its goofy moments still, but there are some good themes at play here, and something tells me this happy go lucky life that Kazuki, Rei, and Miri have together, while it’s still intact for now, may take a darker turn as we continue in this series.
McsuperJan 20, 2023 10:55 AM
Jan 20, 2023 10:53 AM
Jul 2011
This was the best episode until this moment, I don't like Miri so much, but seeing that her mother hates her and she has noone in her life anymore just Rei and Kazuki and how they want to be hers father's figure, it was amazing
Jan 20, 2023 10:59 AM

Dec 2016
I swear Miri's laughter could even cure diseases that science cannot.

Pretty good introspection on Rei and why he's got this paranoia complex. It was also very heartwarming to see him soften up, specially after Miri's words moved him.

I liked the introduction of Miri's mom. I can definitely understand (though not condone) her broken dreams and an unwanted pregnancy. Though I'm expecting her to have a change of heart anytime soon (hope we don't have to wait until the series finale).

Jan 20, 2023 11:15 AM

May 2020
Knew that it'd turn out this way, as no way a mom who let go of her kid pursue her mystery papa, on her own, was accepting the inconvenience back.

People have their reasons, she had one too but there's still room for some reflection, and I know we'll see the inevitable but for the time being, Miri's with Kazuki and Rei.
Jan 20, 2023 11:18 AM

Jul 2022
Ok, this one passed the 3ep litmus test.

Miri's mother's quote resonated a bit with me: "It's always the ones with the loftiest ideals who bring their families the greatest misfortune." I can't hate her for being all fucked-up.

The OP is growing on me, it's making me warm up to autotuned vocals. Catchy melody, fun music throughout and the ED has a sweet segue from the show to the credits.

This one seems to strike a fun balance between wholesome, emotional-fuzziness and murderous violence. Hm.
Jan 20, 2023 11:29 AM
Dec 2022
This ep was so wholesome and sad, made me cry happy and sad tears 😭
Jan 20, 2023 11:30 AM

Sep 2009
Marinate1016 said:
I feel really bad for miri’s mom and all victims of domestic abuse. She’s so stuck in her suffering and internal strife that she doesn’t realise the blessing she has. Seeing her take up for her boyfriend after he beat her and hit a random dude for just talking to her was sad and unfortunately something very real. Pretty easy to shit on her as a character but there’s obviously some severe mental issues and deep rooted trauma that caused her to be this way.

The episode gives us a nice juxtaposition of how people deal with trauma. You can wallow in it and continue to go further and further into the dark or you can choose to be better as Rei ultimately does by taking on the papa role with Miri, a figure he never had in his own life. It’s an anime but it’s an example of two very real types of people that we see too often.
While I won't argue about your arguments, I still think that such people have themselves to blame for a lot of their misfortune, so putting all blame on the others and, especially, their kid is hypocritic. You know, if you just got out of toxic relationships, it is the reason to get in a new ones hoping it will end better? Also if you now blame the kid for everything, why you kept it at all? Abortions are not illegal in Japan as far as I know and noone forced her to keep the child.
Nachtwandler_21Jan 20, 2023 11:43 AM
Jan 20, 2023 11:32 AM
Nov 2022
Loved when Miri told Rei that a “Papa” is someone who saves you. I liked this episode and am really excited for the ones to come :)
Jan 20, 2023 11:34 AM

Feb 2019
Nachtwandler_21 said:
Marinate1016 said:

While I won't argue about your arguments, I still think that such people have themselves to blame for a lot of their misfortune, so putting all blame on the others and, especially their kid is hypocritic. You know, if you just got out of toxic relationships, it is not the reason to get in a new ones hoping it will end better. Also if you now blame the kid for everything, why you kept it at all. Abortions are not illegal in Japan as far as I know and noone forced her to keep the child.

There has to be accountability yes, but people with awful upbringings are predisposed to do those same things. It’s a cycle. Same with absentee fathers in certain communities. If that’s all you knew, how can you give something you never experienced ya feel me?
Jan 20, 2023 11:43 AM

Oct 2022
I swear this is made by the Japanese government to make people want to have kids. And it's working, she's sooooooooooo cute!!
Jan 20, 2023 11:49 AM

Sep 2009
Marinate1016 said:
Nachtwandler_21 said:
While I won't argue about your arguments, I still think that such people have themselves to blame for a lot of their misfortune, so putting all blame on the others and, especially their kid is hypocritic. You know, if you just got out of toxic relationships, it is not the reason to get in a new ones hoping it will end better. Also if you now blame the kid for everything, why you kept it at all. Abortions are not illegal in Japan as far as I know and noone forced her to keep the child.

There has to be accountability yes, but people with awful upbringings are predisposed to do those same things. It’s a cycle. Same with absentee fathers in certain communities. If that’s all you knew, how can you give something you never experienced ya feel me?
Unfortunatelly, I saw a few of similar cases with people who actually had good upbringing. Like one of my former classmates was a honor student from a decent family but she always had a super bad taste than it comes to guys. I still remeber how her friends tried to get her out of toxic relationships to know avail. She is now a single mom with a daughter who has to work as a merchandizer to keep the ends meet. At least she actually puts an effort to give her kid a normal life instead of blaming her for all troubles.  And one of my best  riends was in similar situiation getting with the same shitty guy three times. Thankfully, it did not go to marriage or getting a child and she is happily married with another guy now.
Nachtwandler_21Jan 20, 2023 12:35 PM
Jan 20, 2023 11:50 AM

Nov 2013
Probably the best episode so far IMO. Miri is getting more tolerable.

Awful mother, awful father - and it's the child who has to suffer for it. Some parents...
Jan 20, 2023 11:55 AM
Jul 2016
Rei and Kazuki are officially sleeping together ❤️

Jan 20, 2023 11:57 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Wow haha I love Miri's character so much xd, she's so cute and funny and adorable, and my ears are definitely not ringing at all xd lol hahaha. But hey, when taking into account the kind of parents she had, it is amazing how she remains to be a bundle of joy. It got very real for a moment there in the bar. This is definitely not JUST some fun quirky show about two guys trying to raise a kid.

There are interesting stories to be told here; for me the driving force of this show is making you want to know more about the pasts of each of these characters. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 20, 2023 12:00 PM
Jan 2022
amazing anime.. better than spyxfamily

Nov 2016
If Japanese give their children sweet potatoes from time to time instead of processed shit it's at least one point for good parenting xD

I get it Miri's mom life sucks, but the child is innocent. Blame your decisions or maybe fate and don't let your frustration out on her. Even if you're traumatized and can't help the way you feel, at least be intelligent enough and try to be strong for the child. Unfortunately we don't love in a perfect world where everyone has love to share.

Miri cute from episode 1 gang 🤟🏻

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 2019
Nachtwandler_21 said:
Marinate1016 said:

Unfortunatelly, I saw a few of similar cases with people who actully had good upbringing. Like one of my former classmates was a honor student from a decent family but she always had a super bad taste than it comes to guys. I still remeber how her friends tried to get her out of toxic relationships to know avail. She is now a single mom with a daughter who has to work as a merchandizer to keep the ends meet. At least she actually puts an effort to give her kid a normal life instead of blaming her for all troubles.  And one of my best  riends was in similar situiation getting with the same shitty guy three times. Thankfully, it did not go to marriage or getting a child and she is happily married with another guy now.

Those are exceptions not the rule fortunately
Jan 20, 2023 12:04 PM

Nov 2015
Aww. Rei is a papa too now.

erikkamirs said:
Rei and Kazuki are officially sleeping together ❤️

That's pretty gay. 2 men sleeping together. This a BL for sure. 😘
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 20, 2023 12:09 PM

May 2015
The girl is still so annoying, but this was a better episode than the previous one. When Rei admitted he's Papa was a pretty nice moment. Also, the fact he has such a childish taste in food is kinda cute.
Jan 20, 2023 12:51 PM
Dec 2022
I can't believe Miri's mom would abandon her like that! Raising a kid is never easy, but at least there's some joy at the end! Miri was pretty wise when she said a papa is someone who'll save you when you're in trouble. After all, a family isn't just something you're born into, it's people who'll love and protect you for who you are.
Jan 20, 2023 1:08 PM
Jan 2023
loving it and my choice of preference..... the animators really did a great job in making miri actions so realistic... it really seems like miri is inspired by real child.... hatsoff to animators and author..... loving it 😍😍😍😍
Jan 20, 2023 1:30 PM

Apr 2022
Anya is better, but look how adorable they all three look sleeping together!

Jan 20, 2023 1:43 PM
Jul 2022
This is one of my favorite episodes so far! The show is striking a decent balance with slice of life shenanigans and darker themes. I like how it showed different responses to trauma with some deciding to be the people they didn't have in their childhoods and others trying to numb the pain. Miri isn't as bad as people are making her out to be. She's adorable with her laughter and her desire to bond with Papa Kazuki and Rei. 
Jan 20, 2023 2:00 PM

Jan 2021
Miri's childish behavior continues to grow, I'm wondering if she will ever get mature, prolly not, she's a child after-all. 

Miri's parents are literal scumbags, I can say that with confident. 
Jan 20, 2023 2:04 PM

Sep 2018
Another week, another adventure and Miri continues being both a reaction image factory and a bona fide little brat – a pretty sweet one but still. Rei being trashtalked by the other parents in the park was pretty funny.

I gotta say: I don't think Miri's mother is a bad person or entirely in the wrong, she just seems like an unfortunate victim based on what we learned about her in this episode. She and Kazuki come from very different circumstances (the thing she wants to distance herself from is the exact one he's longing for  – a family), but what he said to her about parental instincts when she had very clearly become a mother against her will was ruthless. Expanding on the different dimensions of familial relationships such as the thickness of blood could be an interesting theme to focus on going forward.
Jan 20, 2023 2:43 PM

Dec 2016
Great episode. 
If I had to nitpick one thing, it would be that Miri seems like a totally normal and healthy kid. If she just came from a super disfunctional home (as implied by how damaged her mother seems), I would expect Miri to be a bit messed up too.  Besides that, some really sweet moments with both papas here that I really liked. 
Jan 20, 2023 3:04 PM

Oct 2022
The best episode so far. It wasn't a surprise that Miri's mother didn't want her daughter back. But hey, now Miri has two papas :)
Let's see what will happen to these three from now on.
Jan 20, 2023 3:15 PM

Dec 2013
What a beautiful episode, pretty sad too, they portrayed that bit of Miri's mom defending her boyfriend after he hit her well, it is unfortunate how things are for a lot of people but we ended up on a pretty uplifting note, Rei saving Miri and the sunset with those three together was lovely (that hopefully one day is Miri holding Rei's hand too), not only that but that final shot of all 3 on the bed was super funny and touching with Rei sleeping probably more relaxed than he has ever been on his life, I hope they buy her a proper pajama / clothes / bed, etc. now that she is there to stay.

LaPokota said:
Great episode. 
If I had to nitpick one thing, it would be that Miri seems like a totally normal and healthy kid. If she just came from a super disfunctional home (as implied by how damaged her mother seems), I would expect Miri to be a bit messed up too.  Besides that, some really sweet moments with both papas here that I really liked. 
I was thinking about it too, I assume that the mom really tried her best always holding back not to take it on Miri until she couldn't do it anymore and abandoned her, on a sad way it is "admirable" considering how terrible it can get for those kids on real life cases.
Jan 20, 2023 3:42 PM
Dec 2021
papa Rei was so cute
with each next episode I'm falling more and more in love with this show
I think it will be one of my favorites
Jan 20, 2023 5:12 PM
Feb 2021
Spiphomet said:
amazing anime.. better than spyxfamily

I agree glad I’m not the only one 😀😅
Jan 20, 2023 5:17 PM
Feb 2021
I really loved it we get to know the story from the mom side which was pretty understandable from her previous relationship. But what really made this episode for me was the bonding between Miri and rei. I can tell Miri is a positive influence on rei teaching him not only what it means to smileand be happy. But what a papa means to her.
Jan 20, 2023 5:22 PM
Personified

Sep 2022
So they located the mom but damn is she a piece of shit, just like Miri's father.

Seem's like Rei is slowly changing and Kazuki really does care for Miri now. Rei's past seems really harsh and Kazuki from the looks of that flashback, that woman that was shown in the explosion could be his past wife and mabye his kid was in the car as well (cause I remember another flashback where Kazuki was with a pregnant woman as he was about to be a dad) but I obviously can't confirm. So Miri might actually be a 'cure' for both Rei and Kazuki.

Jan 20, 2023 5:22 PM

Apr 2022
nice episode, some rei and miri bonding. rei's flashback was dark tho and miri's situation with her mom is sad. loved how it transitioned into the ED.
Jan 20, 2023 5:23 PM

Aug 2022
i am not immune to the cold/tsun half of the Unlikely Parent Duo being the first one to truly accept the kid they're taking care of as theirs

obsessed with the after credits scene too, Miri clinging to Rei's hair and Rei sleeping so soundly... no wonder, it's his first time in a bed for who even knows how long! HE DIDN'T EVEN SLEEP IN THE TUB WITH A PILLOW???

anyway uh I'm very emotionally invested now. I was having fun the last two episodes but this one really sold it for me. this anime is made up of tropes and cliches but that's not a bad thing, because it's doing all of them Very Well.
Jan 20, 2023 5:34 PM

Jan 2021
I figured her mom was a total S--bag. Can't blame everything on a kid, if you were a side piece of a maifa leader that's your own fault. Nice to see that Rei got some development and now Miri has two papa's.
Jan 20, 2023 6:03 PM
Sep 2018
Honestly hate ppl like Miris mother and father who literally pops babies and dumps them like a plastic bag as if they are nothing. Those types of ppl should’ve never had wombs or sperm banks in the first place. HOWEVER I understand those who have been victims of SA forced against their will that led them to have babies. This episode really gave the middle finger to those who abuse their children and I applaud Rei for being open to Miris mum on her scummiest towards her daughter…
Jan 20, 2023 6:06 PM
Aug 2020
I’m in love with this show, everything was perfect
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 20, 2023 7:15 PM

Jul 2017
Haha seriously, Miri's presence is so afflicting. But when it comes to their jobs, both Kazuki and Rei can't afford to take care of her.

The quest to find Miri's mother, Kyutaro has the infodump for Kazuki. And even though both assassins don't look like the father figures that they are, handling Miri may be a pain in the butt, but it seems that they're alright for the short time they're together.

So then, it's Kazuki trying to locate Miri's mother, whom both parents are scumbags at best, while Rei contends with Miri, with his emotional backstory in toll.

Having Hamburg steak and living the life of fathers taking care of an obnoxious-yet-infectious kid, this is the show at its best.

"Papa" is someone whom protects you when you're in trouble, I really liked the metaphor.
Jan 20, 2023 7:52 PM

Jul 2017
ngl I do see where the mother's coming from. With the shit she's been going through it's hard to view the kid as a blessing rather than a curse. though I do like how it didn't choose to portray the mom as the good guy who secretly wanted to protect the kid, but rather one who truly resents her
Jan 20, 2023 8:23 PM

Sep 2021
I liked the darker scenes this episode. Especially with Rei and how Miri potentially helps him overcome past trauma. And how Miri's mother just can't take having her around. The slice of life moments, like the dinner and breakfast scene, fit into this atmosphere of a "fragile normal life", which all the tragic past characters desire. I just wish this show would go ahead and focus on this more. 

But then there is all this time wasted on gimmicky gag assasin jobs and Miri being annoying. Starts to feel like a genre identity crisis. I fear this show will switch back and forth between those styles and end up disappointing in both. 
Jan 20, 2023 8:27 PM

Sep 2018
I still feel like I've yet to be proven wrong with how Miri integrates into the action/assassin part of this story, and I still find her voice direction really grating, but I liked this episode a million times more than the previous one. I wasn't expecting it to go for the very emotional and empathetic core, displaying how traumatic and life-warping events in the lives of Rei and Miri's mother affected them to this day, and their different responses to said trauma. As frustrating as it was to hear Miri's mother be really dismissive about her daughter and talk so negatively about her existence, I still somewhat felt for her being trapped in such a deep cycle of misery that she couldn't find the joy of raising her own child. Miri herself was also used a lot better here than last time, I really like how she acts as a catalyst for Rei's personal growth and as a way to fight back against his own traumatic experiences with his own father. It's hardly the most revolutionary writing out there, but I appreciated seeing this much more grounded approach to the characters that I feel gives it much more of an identity than it had previously. Still on the fence on how long I'll end up continuing with it, but I'm feeling much more optimistic about the series than I was before.

(Also her mom ranting about how irritating her laughing is lowkey made me feel super guilty)
Jan 20, 2023 9:07 PM
Jan 2021
Buddy Daddies ability to pulls your heartstrings, came from the serious take on heavy tone and realistic take on Miri's children behavior. This kind of emotional impact is something that a show so commercially cartoonish like Spy x Family could never have achieved
Jan 20, 2023 9:07 PM

Sep 2021
Only on episode 3 and this show has already made me cry, almost a new record.

This episode finally leaned into the darker side of things, with finding out Rei's backstory and Kazuki meeting Rei's mom. Miri continues to be equal parts annoying and loveable; like I said last time, it's really refreshing to have a four year old kid who simply acts like a four year old kid. It's also so funny that Rei happens to like the same foods that Miri wants.

Rei's backstory and what he endured from his father was heartbreaking to see, but I love how Miri sort of snapped him out of it, and gave him a way to be a better person to Miri, than his father was to him. But Kazuki's conversation with Miri's mother is what really got to me this episode. I wasn't expecting Miri's mother to be revealed so early, and I wasn't expecting it to be so emotional. It hurts because sometimes this is just how life is; Miri's mother was stuck in an absolutely horrible situation, and I'm sure Miri became a reminder of that for her, rather than the joy she should have been. I also appreciate the show being so upfront and honest about how much Miri's mother resents her.
Especially when she mentioned how the Hamburg steak was just pre-packaged and store bought, and Kazuki countered that she should just make it anyway- I feel like this says so much about how the smallest things can be so meaningful to your child, and it also shows how much Miri's presence wore her mother down in a simple way. As a girl who was in a similar situation, and equally loved those pre-packaged dinners as if my mother had actually made them herself... that scene hit really, really hard, for me.

My personal feelings aside, though, I genuinely loved how this episode showed the emotional potential of the show... I just wonder how things are going to be balanced between the emotional and comedic moments as we go forward. I feel like they're walking a tightrope here, and it'd be really easy to mess it up, one way or another. Since this is anime-original and all, I guess we'll just have to see.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Jan 20, 2023 9:29 PM

Aug 2014
"Dinner for three?" 
"Yes, for three"

Just like that, no other question asked from Rei and he know whats up. Nice!! XD
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Jan 20, 2023 10:36 PM

Jul 2016
For someone who hates her daughter guts, Miri sure doesn't seem to show any sign of trauma or abuse. She seems perfectly fine, both emotionally and physically, so that makes me wonder if the mother actually meant all that or the writers simply ignored the inconsistency in order to avoid making the story darker than pretended.

Anyways, decent episode I guess. The balance between comedy, seriousness and violence continues to feel kinda jarring but the bits of character development are interesting enough to make up for that aspect.
Jan 20, 2023 10:50 PM

Aug 2021
Buddy Daddies warms my heart, I can't stop smiling.
Jan 20, 2023 11:24 PM

Jun 2013
I really can't stand kids
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Daddies Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2023

289 by renzospark »»
Apr 20, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Buddy Daddies Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2023

165 by krispykureem »»
Apr 20, 9:48 AM

» Parenting anime

Gurmukh - Apr 8

27 by ListlessRecorder »»
Apr 13, 7:54 AM

Poll: » Buddy Daddies Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2023

219 by aod-kun »»
Apr 11, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Buddy Daddies Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2023

151 by zaverix »»
Mar 30, 6:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.