Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2023 9:58 AM

May 2021
Okay, so how to watch these shows? Can someone give me the right order?

Edit: Oh, i'm stupid i found another thread about that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2023 10:03 AM

Jan 2017
FireDan said:
Oh, i'm stupid i found another thread about that.

Yeah , there is like a few thousand of them.

They are always filled with peoples recommending different orders tho.
The right order is Fate/Stay Night (2006) > Fate/Stay Night : Unlimited Blade Works > Fate/Stay Night Movie : Heaven's Feel Trilogy > Fate/Zero.
But a lot of peoples hate the 2006 Anime and prefer Zero over all the rest , so it often ends up in Zero > Unlimited Blade Works > Heaven's Feel...
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jan 19, 2023 10:08 AM

Aug 2020
Just watch in the order they released
sneed
Jan 19, 2023 10:08 AM
Feb 2022
i only watched ufotable works, so fate zero -> fate unlimited blade works -> fate heavens feel movies 1, 2 and 3 but you can watch the 2006 fate before too if you really wants to
Jan 19, 2023 10:09 AM
Oct 2020
Just make it easy on yourself and follow the official watch order guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fatestaynight/comments/df8rvo/rfatestaynights_official_viewing_order_guide_v2/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

This is includes every single show, even spin offs if you want to watch them
Jan 19, 2023 10:15 AM

Jan 2021
do release order
which would be all of fsn and then zero
fsn 2006>unlimited blade works>heavens feel>zero
ubw and hf anime may have come out after zero but their source material came out at the same time before it
Read the visual novel nerd
Jan 19, 2023 10:20 AM
Jun 2021
Happy to serve, start with Fate/Zero Episode 0-3. Watch Garden Of Avalon Drama CD. Finish Fate/Zero. Watch Lord-El Melloi. Watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. Read the Fate wiki. Seclude yourself in rumination for 2 months. Read the Fate wiki again. Watch Fate/Stay Night: Heavens Feel 1, 2 and 3. Play Fate/Grand Order till Singularity 2. Watch Fate/Apocrypha. Play more Fate/Grand Order. Read Fate/Grand Order. Watch Fate/Grand Order. BECOME FATE/GRAND ORDER.

Yeah, that’s pretty much it excluding the spin spin offs.
KockorzoJan 19, 2023 10:27 AM
///
Jan 19, 2023 10:23 AM
May 2022
Fate zero is the only one good
Jan 19, 2023 10:24 AM

Feb 2020
There's no perfect order, so instead I'll try to explain the why of different ways of going about it.

The main one is Fate/Stay Night. It's originally a visual novel with 3 routes (Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, Heaven's Feel) and you're meant to go through them in that exact order.
Ideally you'd just play the visual novel, but a lot of people don't want to do that and that's ok.

Deen animated the first route, it's the anime that's just called Fate Stay Night. Some people will tell you to skip it, became it looks dated and spoils a few things, I'd say you should watch a couple episodes and skip it if you're not feeling it.

Ufotable adapted UBW and Heaven's Feel. Watch both.

Then there's the prequel Fate/Zero, it's a really good standalone show, but it spoils Stay Night, so you should probably leave that for after finishing Stay Night.

Lord El-Melloi's Casefiles follows a character introduced in Zero and it's pretty good.

Every other Fate/ anime is a spin off in a parallel world, pick any you want after finishing Stay Night.

I'll just add that you should also watch the Kara no Kyoukai movies, the only connection in terms of characters is one that cameos in the Heaven's Feel movies, but they add a lot to the world building
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Jan 19, 2023 10:25 AM
Jun 2021
Kockorzo said:
Happy to serve, start with Fate/Zero Episode 0-3. Watch Garden Of Avalon Drama CD. Finish Fate/Zero. Watch Lord-El Melloi. Watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. Read the Fate wiki. Seclude yourself in rumination for 2 months. Read the Fate wiki again. Watch Fate/Stay Night: Heavens Feel 1, 2 and 3. Play Fate/Grand Order till Singularity 2. Watch Fate/Apocrypha. Play more Fate/Grand Order. Read Fate/Grand Order. Watch Fate/Grand Order. BECOME FATE/GRAND ORDER.

Yeah, that’s pretty much it excluding the spin offs.

This is the supreme order, DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE. Honestly though, do not do release order, start from Fate/Zero and when you do inevitably turn to Stay/Night remember that the only one which exists is the Unlimited Bladeworks and the Heavens Feel route, as simple as they come, that is it.
///
Jan 19, 2023 10:28 AM

Jan 2021
Kockorzo said:
Kockorzo said:

Yeah, that’s pretty much it excluding the spin offs.

This is the supreme order, DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE. Honestly though, do not do release order, start from Fate/Zero and when you do inevitably turn to Stay/Night remember that the only one which exists is the Unlimited Bladeworks and the Heavens Feel route, as simple as they come, that is it.

how did we reach the point when fate route anime denial is now a thing
Jan 19, 2023 10:31 AM
Jun 2021
Alexioos95 said:
FireDan said:

The right order is Fate/Stay Night (2006) > Fate/Stay Night : Unlimited Blade Works > Fate/Stay Night Movie : Heaven's Feel Trilogy > Fate/Zero.
But a lot of peoples hate the 2006 Anime and prefer Zero over all the rest , so it often ends up in Zero > Unlimited Blade Works > Heaven's Feel...

That’s the release order. You could also watch the chronological order, which means Fate/Zero comes before Fate/Stay Night.
Jan 19, 2023 10:36 AM

Jan 2021
Fuekashi said:
Alexioos95 said:

That’s the release order. You could also watch the chronological order, which means Fate/Zero comes before Fate/Stay Night.

yes but its a spin off prequal, even the writers said it would be better to watch last
Jan 19, 2023 10:46 AM
Jul 2021
Alexioos95 said:
FireDan said:

Why watching 2006 when UBW exists
Jan 19, 2023 10:46 AM
Jul 2021
Nevermind I forgot to crop
Yatagarasu18Jan 19, 2023 11:40 AM
Jan 19, 2023 10:49 AM
Jun 2021
salad_farded said:
Kockorzo said:

No need to be so pedantic now, at times the viewer surpasses the writer is all or in this case it’ll be writers and the viewer becomes the writer so... Anyways, it is all much too complicated with Fate but as a piece of wisdom, the world changes itself in a better picture of itself.
///
Jan 19, 2023 10:50 AM

Jan 2021
Kockorzo said:
salad_farded said:

No need to be so pedantic now, at times the viewer surpasses the writer is all or in this case it’ll be writers and the viewer becomes the writer so... Anyways, it is all much too complicated with Fate but as a piece of wisdom, the world changes itself in a better picture of itself.

i dont understand what you just said but i dont think this justifies fate route anime denial lol
Jan 19, 2023 10:52 AM
Jun 2021
salad_farded said:
Kockorzo said:

i dont understand what you just said but i dont think this justifies fate route anime denial lol

You do not understand is enough justification for you not understanding so let’s just leave it at that
///
Jan 19, 2023 10:58 AM
Feb 2019
Watch Fate Stay Night (2006)
Then Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blades Works
Then Watch Fate/Zero
Then Fate Heavens Feel Movies
Jan 19, 2023 11:38 AM

Nov 2021
Yatagarasu18 said:
Alexioos95 said:

Because the two of them are different, and just because ufotable didn't adapted the 2006 version, doesn't mean you should skip it.

(Desktop mode) ⬇️

Watching this season

My Anime list

Comment
Jan 19, 2023 12:17 PM

May 2021
Alexioos95 said:
FireDan said:

But this will be right if i watch that Fate\Zero prequel at the end of all?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2023 12:25 PM

May 2021
TheSpheromancer said:
There's no perfect order, so instead I'll try to explain the why of different ways of going about it.

The main one is Fate/Stay Night. It's originally a visual novel with 3 routes (Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, Heaven's Feel) and you're meant to go through them in that exact order.
Ideally you'd just play the visual novel, but a lot of people don't want to do that and that's ok.

Deen animated the first route, it's the anime that's just called Fate Stay Night. Some people will tell you to skip it, became it looks dated and spoils a few things, I'd say you should watch a couple episodes and skip it if you're not feeling it.

Then there's the prequel Fate/Zero, it's a really good standalone show, but it spoils Stay Night, so you should probably leave that for after finishing Stay Night.

Lord El-Melloi's Casefiles follows a character introduced in Zero and it's pretty good.

Every other Fate/ anime is a spin off in a parallel world, pick any you want after finishing Stay Night.

I'll just add that you should also watch the Kara no Kyoukai movies, the only connection in terms of characters is one that cameos in the Heaven's Feel movies, but they add a lot to the world building
So basically i can watch Fate Stay Night 2006 then UBW then those Heaven's movies and in the end Fate Zero?
Tho how prequel can spoil something to the future seasons when it is a prequel, like no problem i can watch it in the end, huh. Or is this kind of prequel which came out later and basically made for watching them after main story? Like tbh complex shit haha but i get it
Jan 19, 2023 12:29 PM

Jan 2021
FireDan said:
TheSpheromancer said:

So basically i can watch Fate Stay Night 2006 then UBW then those Heaven's movies and in the end Fate Zero?
Tho how prequel can spoil something to the future seasons when it is a prequel, like no problem i can watch it in the end, huh. Or is this kind of prequel which came out later and basically made for watching them after main story? Like tbh complex shit haha but i get it

its a prequal that came out later, it was built on info given from stay night.
it spoils alot for fsn in the first few ish episodes
Jan 19, 2023 12:31 PM

May 2021
salad_farded said:
FireDan said:

its a prequal that came out later, it was built on info given from stay night.
it spoils alot for fsn in the first few ish episodes
understood, thank you!
Jan 19, 2023 12:43 PM

Jan 2017
Fuekashi said:
You could also watch the chronological order, which means Fate/Zero comes before Fate/Stay Night.

Yes , but as Zero is a Prequel , it spoils a lot of the 3 Routes.
It's also not how it's intented to be watched.

Yatagarasu18 said:

Because they are different Route.
Granted UBW is not that far from Fate (Especially with the Anime taking elements of it) , but they are still different Routes with different heroines , twists , and end.

FireDan said:
But this will be right if i watch that Fate\Zero prequel at the end of all?

Prequel means that it's a work which show events taking place before a pre-existing work , but released later.
So yes , as all Prequels , Zero should be watched last.
Actually , watching Zero first spoils near 80% of the twists happenning in the 3 Routes.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jan 19, 2023 12:44 PM

Dec 2012
I went in blind with Fate/Zero and don't regret it. You can just jump in and learn along the way. I won't diss the order lists as I'm sure they're useful, but they seem more tailored towards the sensibilities of VN readers who theorize on the ideal way to experience the franchise as a whole.
Jan 19, 2023 1:13 PM

May 2020
Glad to see most are recommending you to do the better watch order, which is to watch Zero after all three of FSN. I honestly don't see the benefit of getting into Zero first with regardless whether it is the best anime adaptation of the fate franchise or not.
Jan 19, 2023 1:22 PM
Jan 2021
Cyroro said:
Glad to see most are recommending you to do the better watch order, which is to watch Zero after all three of FSN. I honestly don't see the benefit of getting into Zero first with regardless whether it is the best anime adaptation of the fate franchise or not.

Because some people might find it jarring that there are holes in their understanding. Take UBW, they mentioned Kiritsugu before you actually know who is. I watched it with zero first, but I usually just recommend the correct order.
Jan 19, 2023 2:09 PM

May 2020
Oremonogatari said:
Cyroro said:

Because some people might find it jarring that there are holes in their understanding. Take UBW, they mentioned Kiritsugu before you actually know who is. I watched it with zero first, but I usually just recommend the correct order.

Zero is not meant to be an intro for getting your understanding to the Fate world building tho. Fate route is the one meant for that, which is why you should be watching Fate Stay Night 2006 first as it is the intended starting point anyway.

If you are starting with Zero plenty of the plot twists in the three routes of FSN are spoiled, while for the other way round, Urobuchi is expecting people to be knowing the ending right at the start anyway since Fate Zero is a prequel that is meant for explaining what happened in the Fourth Holy Grail War rather than an entry point to the series.
Jan 19, 2023 9:36 PM
Dec 2021
Alexioos95 said:
FireDan said:

The visual novel of Fate/Stay Night is the way to go
Jan 19, 2023 10:55 PM
Sep 2022
https://youtu.be/9IIsNMHqwfU

watch this video and you will understand
ps. it's not mine video so don't worry
Jan 19, 2023 11:54 PM
Sep 2022
So you can watch the watch the VN adaptation first here’s a in a nutshell of fate zero:

They’ve (mages around the world) been preparing to fight for the grail for decades (some use inhumane tactics and some just straight up summon an op servant) in the end they broke the grail and most die before stay night starts. Watch stay night 2006 first.
Jan 20, 2023 11:30 AM
Nov 2019
just watch zero then one of the stay nights, then whatever you want it's just battle royales between genderbended historicak characters, oh and king arthur exists in approximately 10 differents forms, welcome to hell
Jan 20, 2023 7:29 PM
Sep 2022
homura_revenge said:

Fate/Zero is the worst. Even Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya is better than that overrated shit.
Jan 21, 2023 3:15 AM

Aug 2020
Code-Valhalla said:
homura_revenge said:

Fate/Zero is the worst. Even Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya is better than that overrated shit.

"even"? As far as adaptations go prillya unironically peaks higher than the heaven's feel trilogy with oath under snow

greatly surprised that this thread has people mostly recommending the correct watch order though, hopefully the zero secondaries have left the site or something
Jan 21, 2023 3:18 AM
Sep 2022
offcrack said:
Code-Valhalla said:

"even"? As far as adaptations go prillya unironically peaks higher than the heaven's feel trilogy with oath under snow

greatly surprised that this thread has people mostly recommending the correct watch order though, hopefully the zero secondaries have left the site or something

I have quoted it wrong. Oath under Snow is amazing. It's just so annoying to see people saying "fAte/zEro iS tHe oNly gOod fAte". Like please, that FGO game you despises so much is one of the most AMAZING Fate in term of intricate lores and stories compared to that Fate/Zero anime handled by that Urobutcher guy. That 2006's Studio Deen Fate/Stay Night is probably better than Fate/Zero.
Jan 21, 2023 3:26 AM

Aug 2020
Code-Valhalla said:
offcrack said:

I have quoted it wrong. Oath under Snow is amazing. It's just so annoying to see people saying "fAte/zEro iS tHe oNly gOod fAte". Like please, that FGO game you despises so much is one of the most AMAZING Fate in term of intricate lores and stories compared to that Fate/Zero anime handled by that Urobutcher guy. That 2006's Studio Deen Fate/Stay Night is probably better than Fate/Zero.

No disagreement about fate zero being overrated schlock (though I'm not much into fgo). And yeah the zero circlejerk is obviously extremely annoying but fortunately as there isn't much to talk about in terms of story in an urobuchi prequel so those people usually leave discussion boards pretty fast apart from when they pop in to shill their turd to newcomers to the fandom

More topics from this board

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Fate/zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 1, 2011

698 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM

» Im about to start this but confused

TabutcuEmmi - Feb 7

44 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Feb 10, 3:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.