Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2023 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
Holy shit, they used the City Ruins Ray of Light theme just like the game after a player enters the area the first time. Except this, we got a Machine taking a stroll instead of the player.

I must say, this episode is fairly interesting seeing how machines behave with others. They manage to capture the mysterious setting and atmosphere really well imo. Well it's good to see 2B and 9S again. YoHR commander makes an appearance too! 
Jan 14, 2023 7:28 AM

May 2020
A bit of info dump of how in the year 5012, mankind's history came to an abrupt end when they were invaded by aliens from far planets, with the aliens unleashing a new breed of weapon, machine lifeforms that all but annihilated human civilization. Those who survived fled to the moon, and now humanity is launching its counterattack deploying an army of androids, and for that purpose YoRHa forces exist. First glimpse of Commander there.

Now this indeed was different from the game, the first half and how they showed what transpired there back on earth and to the people itself with robo’s point of view and how the members of Resistance camp were fighting against the army of androids. 2B and 9S are here in the city ruins but guess the new characters aren’t that welcoming… atleast few of them.

Still glad how they're using game's music in between.
Jan 14, 2023 7:40 AM

Feb 2020
Another solid episode with some interesting information about the past.

I don't know, but those flower watering robots are somehow endearing. :´)

SerafosJan 15, 2023 6:53 AM
Jan 14, 2023 8:24 AM

Jul 2011
Was great to see the other Yorha teams. And they look great, they are very good looking.

Let's do some gardening and grow some flowers.

Devola and Popola passively around. Still nice.

Yorha androids are hydrohomies.
Jan 14, 2023 8:40 AM

Jul 2015
Damn. It's just getting better and better. The iconic soundtrack fits anime perfectly well just as it did in the game.

Jan 14, 2023 9:48 AM

Feb 2019
Man A-1 really blessing us, the art, animation, using the original game soundtrack, just perfect. Yes it’s confusing but so is playing the game for people who haven’t played Gestalt or the Drake series. As the series goes on I have full faith in A-1 to shed light on things.

Amazarashi ED, A-1 going back to them after 86 OP 2 is perfect! Speaking of 86, you can tell it’s much of the same team.

Hearing the soundtrack just takes me back to that sense of wonder and magic I got the first time I entered the city in the game
Marinate1016Jan 14, 2023 9:56 AM
Jan 14, 2023 10:02 AM
May 2021
Enjoyed this ep can’t lie!
Jan 14, 2023 10:02 AM

Nov 2019
The marionette show reminds me of the bit at the end of Amagi Brillant Park.

Except there is no explosion at the end..

Jan 14, 2023 10:03 AM

Oct 2017
Anime original storytelling was nice. Playing the ost from the game gave me the chills. 2B and 9S met up with the resistance.
Jan 14, 2023 10:15 AM

Oct 2018
Holy shit, I wasn't expecting this episode to be good and it ended up being amazing, I hope the first episode will be the single stain in this anime, seeing Devola and Popola holding an AK47 made my heart skip a beat, I love my twin sister androids and wanted them to have more time on the game. Also, this episode just confirmed what I have been saying since they confirmed they would be using the game's OST, the best OST of the year already has its winner.
Some fanservice as well, seeing 8B and 22B was nice.

This anime's ending is so special, please play the game as soon as possible to understand it.

https://theark.wiki/w/Small_Flowers

PhosphophyllitaJan 14, 2023 1:10 PM
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 14, 2023 10:20 AM
Mar 2021
they did the OS Ending with the Game Menu 😂
Jan 14, 2023 10:30 AM

Apr 2021
It was my first time watching an entire episode without sub or dub. But I didn't have much problem understanding.

Anyway it was a great episode. Animation and background art was awesome. And obviously the music is amazing.
Cg in first episode looked kinda out of place but this episode did not use much cg. (I'm not saying cg equals to bad)

I liked this episode more because this episode gave an ambient feeling more than the episode 1.
The current rating is of this anime kind of low compared to this sites standards. I think people who played the game are being too biased.
Jan 14, 2023 10:37 AM

Jan 2009
so the story is about space alien robots invaded the earth eh

there is still some humans left alive though and they are protected by androids that was invented by humanity

in this episode some of the alien robots are beginning to learn human nature though

and 2B is still pretty

Jan 14, 2023 10:37 AM
Jul 2019
this adaptation sucks but i wanna see A2
Jan 14, 2023 10:45 AM

Jul 2017
This was really damn good, and a lot better too than the previous week's effort. Besides the flight units again in this episode (this time only for a few seconds though), the rest of the episode looked really good for me and there were inclusions and additions here that made it a much more refreshing experience for me who did play the game a month back. The pace of this whole episode was great too alongside the new additions, which gave me tons of nostalgia with not just Automata but Replicant too which I just finished a few days ago. The first episode had some incredibly mixed reviews but this definitely was a stronger showcase to at least present the potential it has if done like this for the remainder of the series. Curious to see more of what Lily has to offer too here in this anime, and liked seeing some shots of other YorHa too like with 8B and 22B too that I remember from the game, and the girl that chills alone at the Oasis.

Also, loved hearing the music for the City Ruins again. Remember when I first played the game, how immersed I felt when exploring around the area with this playing. The anime bringing that back and showcasing the scenery, backgrounds and world building too alongside the defect robot's story here was great.
Jan 14, 2023 10:48 AM
May 2021
That was cool, to see another side to the robots at the beginning along with the few humans left on Earth.
The skit after the ED credits was a trip too.
Jan 14, 2023 10:50 AM

Mar 2020
I did enjoy this episode quite a bit more than the first, since it feels like they've slowed down the pacing a little. The machines having emotions was interesting, and the settings shown in this episode were mysterious, dark, and well presented. Seeing these robot-like machines animated just screams a theme that 86 presented, so it was fitting that their staff worked on this episode. The music also created a nice atmospheric tone here, and Amazarashi's ED was decent as well.

As someone who has not played NieR at all, I admit I was a bit lost with all this info being dumped on us, so hopefully there will be more clarity later on. Overall, much better of an episode than the first imo.
Jan 14, 2023 10:50 AM

Feb 2021
I haven't even played the games, but I'm already loving this show, the OST is great
Jan 14, 2023 10:57 AM

Jun 2014
Man the music in this anime has been very good so far, loving the OST. We got some lore infodumping at the beginning of the episode and I'm looking forward to learning more about this world as the anime continues, since I haven't played the game. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 14, 2023 10:59 AM

Jul 2015
Phosphophyllita said:
Holy shit, I wasn't expecting this episode to be good and it ended up being amazing, I hope the first episode will be the single stain in this anime, seeing Devola and Popola holding an AK47 made my heart skip a beat, I love my twin sister androids and wanted them to have more time on the game. Also, this episode just confirmed what I have been saying since they confirmed they would be using the game's OST, the best OST of the year already has its winner.
Some fanservice as well, seeing 8B and 22B was nice.

Still patiently waiting for Birth of a Wish moments. <3

Jan 14, 2023 11:16 AM

Dec 2019
Music was godly here, heard loads of hype about the music from the games and somehow they be living up to it here. Seeing the robot explore around the Ruins with their own story being showcased with that music on top made it feel super immersive and engaging for me. I loved the first episode more than a lot of people did here but this was definitely a lot better than that one. Pacing was slower but did the episode here a lot more justice too. The machines here in the episode were even better than the androids here, which is meant to be more of a compliment to how much I cared about watching machines here learn through books and gain knowledge about humans seemingly from the past, even there were videos of the past too that were shown on TVs here which was dope.
Jan 14, 2023 11:27 AM

Nov 2010
I'm really glad I cleared the game before watching and can enjoy the atmosphere of the environment which I probably wouldn't feel if I didn't play it.
Seeing robots working in the factory reminded me of another great song from Amazarashi. Those who played the game will know which one :)

Jan 14, 2023 11:44 AM

Aug 2013
A lot of info in this episode. I haven't played the game so it was quite interesting. I liked the way the episode was presented, especially the part with the robots growing flowers.

Jan 14, 2023 11:47 AM
Aug 2017
Wow, the feels for this robot...
Jan 14, 2023 11:50 AM
Mar 2019
This episode was actually really great, didn’t expect this at all after the first one.
It rly captured the locations of the city ruins and using Ray of light was just chef’s kiss.
Very strong visual storytelling with the machine’s perspectives. It messed with my emotions, seeing the machines that cared for the flowers die, by other machine life forms and by our protagonists, YorHa.
Some very nice shots this episode, like the machine covered in rain as though it’s crying. Or the machines playing in the flower field.

Hoping people give it a shot still and didn’t give up after ep 1.
I’m excited for the rest of the anime now.
Jan 14, 2023 11:50 AM

Oct 2022
Good for adding original robot story and wonderful use of the Okabe’s osts in the anime. Probably will be a second cour

Jan 14, 2023 11:51 AM
Jan 2019
To put it simply... I Fing LOVED IT!!!
Jan 14, 2023 11:55 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm it's actually nice to see other 2B and 9s type units out there besides our two main leads. The briefing was a nice way to intruduce the mission to us. The POV of one of the minor enemies that you encounter within the game was an interesting angle to take upon. It was really curious seeing the robots become self aware and learn about life. Well looks like they had fun creating flowerbeds. Still for the resistance things on the ground seem tough. The entry of the hostile robots sure proved difficult for both parties. Their numbers especially negated even the best efforts of the resistance. While blunt Lily at the very least is showing herself to be a capable leader. The team's arraival sure was timely. Overall an interesting ep that featured a good balance of action and lore. The insight into how passive robots developed as well as how the resistance fought was really appreciated. Though im curious did they replace the orginal resistance leader with Lily. Not that it matters much since Lily's proved herself here already.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2023 11:55 AM
Dec 2020
cringeylazy said:
this adaptation sucks but i wanna see A2

First ep was questionable in terms of adaptation quality but todays episode got rid of any doubt I had imo
Jan 14, 2023 12:02 PM

Dec 2022
Episode 2 was better than episode 1 in my opinion.

There's still a few weird creative choices IMO.
Like showing most of the route B machine backstories all at once.
And parts of the DLC content?
Jan 14, 2023 12:04 PM
Aug 2019
This episode was far better than the dogshit episode 1. It was interesting and they even used the game soundtracks, those were perfect. Those flight unit still s**ks a** tho
Jan 14, 2023 12:18 PM

Apr 2018
A different approach to the episode than before. We've got to see more of the world in the eyes of a Robot who took control of most of the episode. It was so fucking interesting to see which steps he took and how much he developed. A robot with some sort of emotions? It was quite the journey he went through to water some flowers. Standing in the rain, fighting against boars and what more. Even the Red eyed robots didn't give a shit about them and just killed them off. He tried to protect his garden, but the ones that completely destroyed everything were 2B and 9S. Is this the end for them? Not really, they've got a whole fucking colony. The soundtrack playing throughout the beginning was just so beautiful. 

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jan 14, 2023 12:22 PM
Apr 2009
Episode 2 was great which I'm very glad to see after how bad Episode 1 was.
Jan 14, 2023 12:34 PM
Jun 2016
This episode was better than the 1st one
Jan 14, 2023 12:39 PM

Sep 2018
I love this so much, but now I'm pretty certain the anime will make me as sad as the game did...
Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jan 14, 2023 12:53 PM

Jun 2015
I enjoyed this episode way more than the previous one. A robot made me cry and I don't even like mecha anime!
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 14, 2023 12:58 PM
Oct 2020
I knew that robot was destined for death. No flower loving robot ever lives.
Jan 14, 2023 12:58 PM

Jan 2018
Couldn't help but smile hearing the game OST again. Getting hit by a wave of nostalgia from playing the game. Can't believe 2017 was 6 years ago... (tho I didn't play NieR: Automata until a few years after its release, I still remember the hype it generated when it was first released)

Seems like those expository scenes from Route B of the game (IIRC) are going to be included in the anime. They confused the hell outta me when I was playing the game and I still feel the same watching the anime. This is going to be a weird anime. Not sure how I feel about this content.

I think I like the new scenes that weren't in the game. They could remove some of the more boring aspects of the game and replace them with original scenes.

The adaptation of fa[T]al error ending at the end was funny lol. I wonder how or if they're gonna adapt some of the more complicated endings like Ending Y. They're probably going to be replaced with new endings.
Jan 14, 2023 1:00 PM

Jan 2022
what an episode

got that good good existentialism. Lets get some F's in the chat for flower robot and his brothers
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 14, 2023 1:03 PM
Feb 2018
After Ep1, i had my doubts but EP2 was very very interesting, I'll keep my eyes on where this route takes us

RIP that one flower loving dude
Jan 14, 2023 1:25 PM
Aug 2017
What a great episode!
Jan 14, 2023 1:31 PM

Nov 2018
Now this is what I was expecting for the adaptation. Most of the episode was original content and it sure damn didn't disappoint.

Love the focus on the new Resistance characters, surely they aren't going to kill them, right?

SEIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jan 14, 2023 1:35 PM

Feb 2021
Much better ep than the first one
looking forward to more of this
Jan 14, 2023 1:43 PM
Dec 2019
Love the puppet show. Sad to see the robot die in the end after it took care of all the flowers and had the others help. Nice to see Devola and Popola tho.
Jan 14, 2023 2:12 PM

Sep 2020
So we now know the general plot of the story, the scene where 2B and 9S coming to rescue the humans is very badass, also wonder what the robots said has to do with them and mean to the series.
Jan 14, 2023 2:19 PM
Mar 2016
This episode was great, completely opposite to the previous one. This is what the Nier series is about. Lots of references to the videogame, the DLC and other media. Machine lifeform and Resistance members being the episode's main protagonists was a fantastic choice. CG wasn't bad at all this time (Made an exception for the Ho exoskeleton but ig I'll have to get used to that). Also lovely to see 22B and 8B, along with the Yorha unit of the oil lake in the desert. Loved every bit of it this time.
Also, we got the rope bridge lore lmao.
Plus the backgrounds were great, and the game OST was used wonderfully (RAYS OF LIGHT in particular but not only that), idk wtf happened with the first ep, this was on a completely different level.

+ I'm pretty convinced that this anime is aimed to people that already played the game and not to newcomers
RavioloooJan 14, 2023 2:27 PM
Jan 14, 2023 2:24 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
This episode was better than the first one. The beginning was a bit weird but interesting at the same time. The animation is really good, the story is slowly becoming clearer. It's really crazy when you consider that you watched a robot watering flowers for almost half of the episode, and it wasn't even bad. That puppet play was scary.
Jan 14, 2023 2:28 PM

Jun 2013
Poor dude, he just wanted to grow some flowers
Jan 14, 2023 2:30 PM

Aug 2008
Eh, robots tending to flowers is a post apocalyptic sci-fi cliche at this point. Could really do away with most of it, especially with clumsily pretentious it was at times. E. g. with a robot sitting at the top of tower of TVs showing past humanity. Surely a structure with a function other than looking artsy for teenagers. I didn't play the game, but as far as I know, it's praised for its writing, so seeing comments about most of this episode being anime only explains why the flower story was so mediocre. 

I can't put my finger on it but there's something quite not right about animation. Background pieces look great, but a lot of movement looks kind of flat or cheap in comparison. I don't get why they decided to make Yorha carrier units CG. It looks really jarring when normally animated characters pop out of them. They have a cheat sheet with Okabe's music from the game, so I was expecting more effort put into visuals to match it. 

Despite my qualms, it might be the best title in this season. At least if it doesn't get bogged down in infantile attempts at being philosophical. I know 2B's thighs can carry a lot but a whole season might be too much.

By the way, is 9S so annoyingly perky in the game too?
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 14, 2023 2:37 PM

Nov 2017
Lore episode and it did an awesome job of humanizing the robot gardener dude 😭😭
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

111 by Maffy »»
Apr 3, 1:39 PM

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

17 by Rayane-47 »»
Mar 11, 6:25 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

104 by Kono222 »»
Feb 24, 5:05 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2023

467 by GustavoMizobu »»
Feb 20, 3:09 AM

» Should I play Nier replicant too before starting series?

Otaku_guru - Feb 11

7 by Otaku_guru »»
Feb 14, 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.