Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 8, 2023 6:04 AM

Feb 2022
DepressedDinoDad said:
Good. Also it wasn’t satisfyingly finished. This show is terrible but looks nice asf. Somehow that justifies its rating….. i dont get it but here we are.

I think it was cowboy bebop but good
"K-On! fan!" "Love live! fan!"
Jan 8, 2023 6:54 AM
Sep 2021
senpaikantuten said:
The problem with your argument is you’re forcing this set of today’s morals on the show without actually looking at the time period of the show, which invalidates your whole point.

Exactly. He/She disregarded the time period of the anime and the way society was at the time, which is very different than it is today(of course). The fact that ppl want today's principles to be aligned with the Edo era is nonsensical and devoid of any logic.
ThehorrifickenzoJan 8, 2023 6:59 AM
Jan 8, 2023 10:21 AM

Aug 2012
I feel this way about Made in Abyss. kids peeing on each other is a bit much for me.
Jan 8, 2023 11:55 AM

Jun 2016
Personally, imperfect characters have never been a problem to me. The reason for my 9 definitely wouldn’t stand in this thread since my reasons are oriented towards the story rather than the politics.

Also, I don’t think it makes sense to judge them by today’s standards
Jan 8, 2023 2:55 PM
Nov 2022
boo hoo, signed a woman whom very much enjoyed it.
Jan 8, 2023 3:30 PM
May 2015
TOMOTAKIN0 said:
This anime is very, very, very fun but I can't ignore that Fuu always has to be rescued by the others. I know she's just a teenager but the other women in the show also just seem like mannequins with no purpose other than being objects of pleasure for the men or somebody to save. There's no reason for Mugen to threaten Fuu with rape if she does something stupid, you know? 

I can't forget to mention that it was entirely pointless to make Mugen a homophobe, he did not need to say "nobody's ass will be safe if you're around" to the gay Dutch man... He also wants to have sex with force with one of the women in the brothel. Crossdressing is also played as a joke. Samurai Champloo is a great show and a product of its time but we shouldn't disregard these aspects of it.

bro, that sounds historically accurate to me
Jan 8, 2023 4:13 PM
Oct 2022
I just can't take this seriously and I won't sugar coat it by saying "it was a product of its time" it is still funny today and not everyone likes homosexuals and I'm against not having characters in the media being rude to gays as a passive censorship by today's society because people like that exists and just as more people have to accept that a character is gay and it get represented I'm glad that people that don't like them are represented as well.

Mod edit: removed insult
ZedlinJan 17, 2023 6:55 PM
Jan 8, 2023 10:08 PM

Dec 2019
TOMOTAKIN0 said:
This anime is very, very, very fun but I can't ignore that Fuu always has to be rescued by the others. I know she's just a teenager but the other women in the show also just seem like mannequins with no purpose other than being objects of pleasure for the men or somebody to save. There's no reason for Mugen to threaten Fuu with rape if she does something stupid, you know? 

I can't forget to mention that it was entirely pointless to make Mugen a homophobe, he did not need to say "nobody's ass will be safe if you're around" to the gay Dutch man... He also wants to have sex with force with one of the women in the brothel. Crossdressing is also played as a joke. Samurai Champloo is a great show and a product of its time but we shouldn't disregard these aspects of it.

there are strong willed female characters in samurai champloo, fuu's character is not meant to be that. mugen's character is very crude and he is not meant to be seen as the nicest guy. gb2 tiktok
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2023 11:10 PM
Jun 2019
the one thing that is bugging me in this discussion is the thing about Japan's culture I see no one mentioned. Japan is not the West and they can have a different view on some topics. From Samurai Champloo I remembered good fights, new music, journey and epic moments. Main cast was a dynamic and vibrant combination, event if they were written poorly to Western standards like Mugen being homophobic or something. I can't even bring the rvpe scenes y'all mention because they weren't even an important plot point to remember or was a shocking experience. tbh in real life no one is perfect, don't have flaws or is morally good from the beginning to end and this is fine to see it here too, even if it brings controversion. If you want to see "good characters", then it is just not a show for you and you should go somewhere else. There are plenty of other shows with good fights and have more appealing character traits \(>w• )√
Jan 9, 2023 12:04 AM

Oct 2012
Look, Mugen was somewhat homophobic. I don't even know why people are debating this. But Mugen being homophobic does not mean the show is homophobic. He's a delinquent and doesn't care much for societal norms. Mugen and Jin are both flawed characters, and Fuu manages to get them to compromise. That's the entire premise. I feel like OP is just not mature enough to deal with the imperfection of humanity, that there are saving graces despite those flaws.

In certain other shows like Redo of Healer, the entire narrative tries to justify that protagonist's actions. That's not what happened here. Mugen tried to rape a prostitute in the beginning of the show. Even in Edo Japan, it wasn't considered proper. He was a piece of shit and that's kinda the point. It sort of backfired on Mugen.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 9, 2023 1:16 AM
Mar 2022
we this was technically in japan in the edo period... so uhhh.... it was historically accurate
Jan 9, 2023 1:18 AM
Mar 2022
katsucats said:
Look, Mugen was somewhat homophobic. I don't even know why people are debating this. But Mugen being homophobic does not mean the show is homophobic. He's a delinquent and doesn't care much for societal norms. Mugen and Jin are both flawed characters, and Fuu manages to get them to compromise. That's the entire premise. I feel like OP is just not mature enough to deal with the imperfection of humanity, that there are saving graces despite those flaws.

In certain other shows like Redo of Healer, the entire narrative tries to justify that protagonist's actions. That's not what happened here. Mugen tried to rape a prostitute in the beginning of the show. Even in Edo Japan, it wasn't considered proper. He was a piece of shit and that's kinda the point. It sort of backfired on Mugen.

perfectly phrased. humans arent perfect and to portray them without imperfections is boring as shit
Jan 9, 2023 7:32 PM
Feb 2016
Honestly, there are no shows without flaws. I didn't really like the ending and how it felt unfinished, but I couldn't ignore the fact that it was entertaining and super fun to watch. so it'll always be a strong 9 or 10 in my book.
Jan 9, 2023 8:03 PM

Jul 2019
Mate.....I gave this show a 6. No worries. Give a show a score however you like. 

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 9, 2023 8:13 PM

Jan 2013
I sincerely hope you're just a troll, that's far more preferable that actually being serious about this virtue signaling bullshit. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 10, 2023 4:48 AM

Feb 2020
parody of Chanbara genre which took itself too seriously, plot was basically go with the flow, music was modern Western mix mimicry. This was definitely not for me, but i dont care about the sjw part.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 10, 2023 4:58 AM

Oct 2022
TOMOTAKIN0 said:

No you sound sad, how can you not laugh at  "nobody's ass will be safe if you're around" to the gay Dutch man
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:"that, in my opinion, is right" ·

Jan 11, 2023 1:44 PM

May 2009
Hydra80 said:
I’m sorry so many people are disregarding your point or even attacking you for it. I think this is a valid thing to talk about. As others have stated, the anime was not only made a long time ago but was also set a reeaally long time ago. But I think what mainly justifies giving this show a high score is that media does not have to be morally straight. Within literature for example, most of the book read in school display morally questionable actions such as slavery, rape, abuse, etc. These things should not be glorified but serve to advance the authors story or theme and allow people to see these things and establish their own opinions on them. In my opinion artists do not need to abide by modern moral values when creating media as this would restrict the creation of the media itself.

This is a reasonable take. (And people are indeed mean here lol.) Stories and art are inevitably products of their time. That doesn’t mean they get complete passes, of course—there certainly are lots of stuff that have aged like milk that I wouldn’t care to touch—but I do think they deserve some degree of leniency, to the extent that a viewer can stomach these moral blunders enough to still appreciate and see value in other aspects of the work. (At best, they can also offer a valuable snapshot of the time they’re portraying, but this is generous lol.) That line—how much moral blunder one can stomach—will differ and evolve over time, for each person and for groups of people, as our standards and morals continue to evolve.

God knows how much of the stuff we enjoy today that we consider “up to modern moral standards” we’ll be looking back at in 30 years in horror. E.g. Animal rights has been making its way into the public consciousness; if it becomes a more central issue down the road, I wouldn’t be surprised if future generations (or future us) cringe at all the casual meat consumption going on in older/today’s shows.
Jan 17, 2023 7:46 AM
May 2020
i like how nobody is addressing your your points and saying its 10/10 lol, ure right about this
Jan 22, 2023 12:40 PM

Jan 2022
JaneDoe0906 said:
i like how nobody is addressing your your points and saying its 10/10 lol, ure right about this
except the point has been addressed 20 times by users in here already. Maybe try reading more than one sentence
Feb 20, 2023 10:46 PM
Nov 2020
9?10? My brother in christ this is even too high. Once I get to the end of the show i don't think i'll rate higher than 6/10.
"I can't trust a website where csm is rated higher than hxh"
- Akira Toriyama

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Akral - Sep 17, 2007

67 by Buzz-1 »»
Apr 18, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cero - Oct 20, 2008

373 by ZeyadxMoustafa »»
Apr 2, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

186 by plus_SlamDunk »»
Mar 28, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

142 by CyrahOmega »»
Mar 18, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RyanBebop - Feb 22, 2010

55 by GingZ »»
Mar 15, 12:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.