Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sugar Apple Fairy Tale (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 15, 2023 3:54 PM

Jun 2014
This is an anime for me: shoujo, fantasy, romance. The art is so pretty and I love the character designs. <3 OST was nice too. I love the fairies theme and also that it's both cute/fluffy and dark/serious (the slavery thing, torturing fairies, and Shall killing those bandits). I like the idea of sugar confections too.

I like Anne and Shall a lot. She is so cute and he's damn hot (both his looks and personality). I have a thing for handsome fantasy beings (vampires, demons, youkai...). XD Especially ikemen with black or silver hair. <3 His eyes and wings look so pretty too. (BTW how can such a long wing fit into such a small pouch which she wears around her neck?)

Anne is so sweet when she rescues a fairy that was being tortured (and everyone else just watched and didn't do anything). But she needs to buy a fairy too to protect her on a dangerous road to a faraway city. She explains this to Shall and promisses to give him his wing back and set him free when they arrive in Lewiston. Shall wanted to be bought by Anne because he thinks she looks like the biggest fool from all the people he has seen in the last few years and it would be easier for him if his master is a fool.

While Anne is sleeping, Shall tries to steal the pouch with his wing, but fails because Anne has a nightmare and wakes up while he is trying to take it. But Anne doesn't punish him, she repeats she will let him go in Lewiston and then she rolls up in her blanket, so he can't easily take it. Shall is wondering why the scent of silver sugar comes from this girl (he noticed it before too while they were riding in the cart) - it reminds him of some girl called Liz.

While traveling, they see another cart being attacked by bandits - the bandits see their cart and attack them too. Anne asks Shall to protect her, but he doesn't want to go unless she gives him an order and threatens his wing. But she can't do that since she is a sweet girl, so he goes to stop them anyway. The fighting scene looks cool. The bandits run away and Anne is staring at Shall, shocked to see the bloody scene where he killed those people and horses.

We see a pretty opening. Yay, they will become a couple. <3 The end.  Can't wait for episode 2. <3
SailorVekiJan 15, 2023 5:28 PM
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Jan 18, 2023 12:38 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
"Buy me"

most based 70+ year old warrior fairy I've ever seen 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 19, 2023 7:34 PM
Oct 2022
Usually I'm picky with anime especially romances but this was enjoyable. I'm enjoying the fantasy world, the main character is nice to follow and the love interest had a good level of flirting without it being overbearing. Art style is nice too.
Jan 20, 2023 6:55 AM
Feb 2021
there is something new in this anime.
Jan 21, 2023 4:04 PM

Mar 2016
Jonas opens on negging before a marriage proposal. Either they have PUA classes in this world, or he's a natural (a**hole that is).
Jan 21, 2023 4:51 PM

Jun 2014
Ok, so for people who are wondering why Challe just doesn't kill Anne and get his wing back: it's because he doesn't want to soil his blade with her blood, he thinks he can just steal the wing from this naive little girl (who talks about being friends with fairies and is childish and careless). Also, since he has been under control of humans for cca. 70 years, a day or 2 or 3 means nothing to him, if he can't steal it that night, he'll try another time - with such a naive young girl he is sure to have plenty of opportunities - he is in no hurry.

When Anne bought Challe, the fairy dealer said to her: "When you go to sleep, make sure to hide the wing under your clothes and sleep holding it. Imagine someone keeping a tight grip on your heart. If in the moment you killed them, that person squeezed and crushed your precious heart... Especially since fairy wings are so fragile. They are scared and can't make any reckless moves. The idea of you hurting their wings terrifies fairies on an instinctual level (when you hurt their wings it causes them a lot of pain)."

Fairies' wings are the source of their life force. They are what hearts are to humans. So, you control the fairies with fear and pain. You hold another person's heart in your hands and you threaten to crush it if they don't follow your orders. From a fairy's perspective, these actions of humans seem entirely monstrous. That's why Challe laughs when Anne says she wants to be his friend (but she holds his heart) - he doesn't believe her and thinks she is stupid.
SailorVekiJan 21, 2023 4:57 PM
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Jan 23, 2023 10:57 AM
Oct 2016
Love the animation style
Jan 23, 2023 1:02 PM

Oct 2015
Oh boi... this would've worked better for me without the overly shoujo ninja moves like kabedon, getting too close, little girl MC getting too flustered with her oh-so-cute-little-red face... ASDFGHJKL DANG IT!!! I wish this wasn't shoujo! >//<

I mean, if the MC was a little girl, then FOR ME, it would've been better if there was no romance. Or you know, romance would come later on, maybe when the little girl grows up a little? BUT THIS... from the start... *sigh* Wish it was just friendship cause that would hit me harder. Or what if the MC was a dude instead so my friendship > romance theme would prevail? Or the fairy being a woman? *another sigh* I hate myself for having this preference. I was getting annoyed watching those stupid scenes. Like... so that's what girls want? Being kabedoned by some hot fairy guy?! I mean, I get it... but do people really enjoy seeing a sweet, innocent, naive little girl being kabedoned by a fairy that lived for more than 70 years? I mean, he's been in that cruel world for more than 70 years! Umm?? "Buy me??" How about some distance from humans? Yes, that's a naive little girl in your eyes, but what about some space? How could you flirt like that, sir??! HOW-?!!

Anyway, ikemen fairy should've acted better than some typical romantic interest of an MC girl in a shoujo anime. But he's too typical it hurts.

I just... I really don't like this kind of romance. I gave this a try because my friend highly recommended this to me, and I really, reallyyy like the premise, but the romance part... *sigh* The ikemen fairy is too beautiful tho. I wish he was different than all those typical ikemen shoujo dudes. TvT
   HuaLian <3
Jan 28, 2023 1:53 PM
May 2020
a surprisingly delightful watch!
Feb 1, 2023 6:49 AM
Aug 2022
Started, it Today.

I was interested in though, wasn't able to watch it.
Now, here I am.
Really like vibes.
The fantasy set in the anime is really amazing and intresting.
The animation also looks amazing, J.C. Staff, you all are doing great.
The music is also amazing and character designs are beautiful.

I am also enjoying Masaaki-san's voice.
Glad, he is getting more and more roles.
And, I think it's Yuka-san's first main lead role.
Hope she gets more.

And, I think that was first proper Boy voice done by Takahashi-san.

Well, enjoyed it and hope it maintains this pace.
Feb 1, 2023 11:03 PM
Sep 2020
Interesting ep!

I don't even know where to begin lol. I was intrigued by the series poster and the synopsis and it's actually a plot I have never seen before. The fan service is too much for me honestly, but the art is pretty and it's keeping me engaged so that's definitely a plus xD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ᨐᵉᵒʷ ⋆˙⟡ ✿
Feb 2, 2023 11:52 PM
Jan 2023
The Masochist warrior fairy doesn't play around
Feb 4, 2023 6:55 PM
Nov 2011
First ep was okay, setup the major conflict I think, whether this character grows or is awful we'll see
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Feb 12, 2023 3:44 AM
Apr 2022
great anime, i like it
Mar 21, 2023 9:57 PM
Feb 2022
How to downvote nonsensical reviews that sits right on top of the page??? 😪
Mar 24, 2023 4:26 PM

Nov 2012
Fantasy girl goes a buys a hot slave fairy, but it's totally fine because she's not as bad as some other slave owners! She only needs him for just a LIIIIITTLE bit of free murder labor to get where she's going, and she never HURTS him - just threatens to occasionally when he dares talk back to her! After all, how DARE a LOWLY fairy talk to her that way?

Watch her adorably pout as the closest thing her slave can safely do to rebelling while he both tries to escape (how rude!!! she wants to be FRIENDS!!!!) and... falls in love?? Ah yes, the attachment a person used to abuse feels when confronted with someone who is only minimally abusive is the MOST healthy basis for a relationship.

This show desperately relies on me finding the protagonist likable, or at least making viewers want to be the protagonist. I neither like the literal slave trader nor want to be a slave trader.

Would have made for a fun OVA if he stabbed her at the end and escaped.
Mar 24, 2023 6:14 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Interesting start, I like the overall ambiance and how it feels different with its themes, the fairy guy is maybe gonna be annoying for me though, he really embraces the shoujo ikemen vibes xD
Apr 7, 2023 11:28 AM
Oct 2019
Seems like it's gonna be a pretty fun watch. Interesting diffferent kinda story to anime I have ever watched before
Apr 16, 2023 2:51 AM

Sep 2012
when she went to that tent thinking to buy the warrior Fairy i suddenly got Shield Hero Flashback :D

this flirting was hilarious lol

the guy is like Usui from maid sama, Usui was not emo like him but both as wild
Jun 18, 2023 3:38 PM
Jul 2020
There was enough detail to tell you what's going on in the beginning and sets the story pretty good. But I can't say this is my favorite episode after watching the entire series. It feels really short, like I need more.
Jun 20, 2023 4:33 AM
Jun 2023
Good art. Promising plot.
Aug 18, 2023 3:34 PM

Sep 2018
I feel bad for the friend character who will certainly get ntred.  Lol
The main fairy guy seems cool.  I like the mini fairy.  The Mc should have payed for setting him free though.
Sep 3, 2023 1:33 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Shoujo twitter has been hyping this series to high heavens so here I am.

The dynamic of Ann and Shall aren't really for ME but we'll see how their chemistry changes after the master / slave dynamic is off the table.

The look and color pallet of the series is pretty solid but it does look pretty standard to every other series like it.

Oct 5, 2023 5:28 PM

Jun 2014
This seems fairly interesting.

It hurts to see humans discriminating against fairies and enslaving them, but maybe Ann can change all that. She'll certainly try to. Shall Fen Shall definitely sees something in her.

Oct 14, 2023 6:28 PM
Jul 2021
good way to get you in the anime honestly
Oct 22, 2023 12:49 PM
Aug 2017
Could have been better. Very weirdly paced and the MC doesn't seem rational. I did like the courage and kindness she has however she seems very childish and annoying.
Nov 14, 2023 2:49 AM

Mar 2011
Right when it started I was wondering: "Why haven't I watched it yet?" and then some minutes in I felt like: "Oh, this is heavy (and dark)" but I really like this idea and concept even if it's on the darker end. I love fairy tales and romance so I'm really looking forward to watch more of this.

It's sad to think that I think this is how (most humans) would actually treat fairies if they were real. Still watching Challe deal with the robbers I'm really wondering how humans could overtake them (then again, most fairies we saw in the first episode seem to be smaller and more defenseless. And it does't help people know their weak spot).

Challe was really mean :D. But I can't blame him for feeling this way about humans if it's how they are treated and he has been in slavery for 70 years. Like humans, what's wrong with you?

I really like Anne so far. She's such a sweetheart and standing up for that poor little fairy was brave. Her mother really brought her up to be kind to others (even and especially towards fairies). This is very interesting.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Dec 5, 2023 10:33 AM
Oct 2018
i like the animations but the story kinda not for my mood right now
Mar 29, 6:27 AM
Mar 2024
the guy is hot af!!!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Unpopular opinion: I’m gonna defend Bridget >3

AngelMilky_15 - Jul 17, 2023

14 by zaverix »»
Mar 5, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2023

166 by WanderingGoddess »»
Jan 29, 11:39 AM

Poll: » Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2023

46 by Beweya »»
Dec 6, 2023 10:59 PM

Poll: » Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zaxphred - Jan 27, 2023

87 by CarbonMD »»
Dec 5, 2023 7:17 PM

Poll: » Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2023

66 by Wildflower3 »»
Nov 15, 2023 5:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.