Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 2, 2023 5:36 AM

Jun 2021
Just an 8am thought:

Why does the English translation use “Rascal” when Japan 100% leans into “Teenage Pig” (or along those lines)?
The twitter page utilizes pig emojis at every turn and it’s fantastic and I feel like America is being shafted by a much more tame name.

My guess is that “Teenage Pig does not dream of Bunny Girl Senpai” might be too much for an English audience, but I feel like it wouldn’t be much more jarring than the Bunny Girl Senpai thing in general?
The best thing about the show is going in thinking it’ll be another degenerate slice of life and being hit with the sensation of being 100% wrong.

Just a thought.
Jan 2, 2023 5:52 AM
Feb 2022
True, Bunny Girl Senpai and Re:zero are two real traps in the anime. Former title just sounds like title of some Degenerate harem protagonist show. The later just sounds like any typical isekai where a Hikikomori or Shut-in protagonist is transported to another world and becomes overpowered. It's ironic how, in reality, both of the shows are among the greatest masterpieces ever made.
Jan 2, 2023 6:09 AM

Apr 2022
For the last part, anime onlys would feel the same when days with my stepsister starts airing
To toxic fans: Atleast wait for an anime season to end before you go on tantrum.
Jan 2, 2023 6:36 AM
Jul 2018
Subaru_Reborn said:
True, Bunny Girl Senpai and Re:zero are two real traps in the anime. Former title just sounds like title of some Degenerate harem protagonist show. The later just sounds like any typical isekai where a Hikikomori or Shut-in protagonist is transported to another world and becomes overpowered. It's ironic how, in reality, both of the shows are among the greatest masterpieces ever made.

I love how I wholeheartedly agree with every word you said but I still felt like people would think its a trashy opinion. Re:Zero is hated a lot more than I thought, but to me, it is such an abysmal viewpoint from those who think it is horrendous or even just average. I get "preference" and what not- but this is just so incredibly good. I feel bad for everyone who decided not to watch either of these masterpieces because of the title or others' opinions.i
Jan 2, 2023 7:00 AM
Feb 2015
from what i know, 青春 is more about the experience of being young than a 1:1 translation to "teenager" or "young". i mean they dropped it from the title altogether for a good reason after all, itd just be a clunky name. calling someone a [whatever]野郎 is also common. And calling someone "Pig" as a nickname kinda thing just seems weird In english. "Pig does not dream of bunny girl senpai"? see, it kinda sucks. it would have to be like "The Youthful Experience in which Piggish Guy does not dream of Bunny Girl Senior" to get close to the meaning of the japanese title, which also sucks extremely bad.
I think they did the best they could with it, really. "Rascal" does make me think of a young mischief-maker while still having a bit of sleaziness to it, which fits what the original was going for really well imo, tho the piginess of it still gets lost obviously. There was definitely some scenes where they could have called him something piggish instead of a rascal in the show itself but im sure they just wanted to stay consistent
Jan 2, 2023 7:19 AM

Jun 2021
Willology said:
from what i know, 青春 is more about the experience of being young than a 1:1 translation to "teenager" or "young". i mean they dropped it from the title altogether for a good reason after all, itd just be a clunky name. calling someone a [whatever]野郎 is also common. And calling someone "Pig" as a nickname kinda thing just seems weird In english. "Pig does not dream of bunny girl senpai"? see, it kinda sucks. it would have to be like "The Youthful Experience in which Piggish Guy does not dream of Bunny Girl Senior" to get close to the meaning of the japanese title, which also sucks extremely bad.
I think they did the best they could with it, really. "Rascal" does make me think of a young mischief-maker while still having a bit of sleaziness to it, which fits what the original was going for really well imo, tho the piginess of it still gets lost obviously. There was definitely some scenes where they could have called him something piggish instead of a rascal in the show itself but im sure they just wanted to stay consistent

I’m mostly partial to the pig emojis that the Japanese twitter account uses in the marketing. I think it’s so cute and I feel deprived lol
Jan 2, 2023 7:20 AM

Jun 2021
Bored_Resort said:
Subaru_Reborn said:

I love how I wholeheartedly agree with every word you said but I still felt like people would think its a trashy opinion. Re:Zero is hated a lot more than I thought, but to me, it is such an abysmal viewpoint from those who think it is horrendous or even just average. I get "preference" and what not- but this is just so incredibly good. I feel bad for everyone who decided not to watch either of these masterpieces because of the title or others' opinions.i

Me and everyone I know ONLY watched Bunny Girl because it was a weird name! I had no idea what it was or that it would make me cry and I think that’s part of the charm!
Jan 2, 2023 7:20 AM
Feb 2015
HaylenGrey said:
Willology said:

I’m mostly partial to the pig emojis that the Japanese twitter account uses in the marketing. I think it’s so cute and I feel deprived lol

very true, no good "rascal" emojis unfortunately lmao
Jan 2, 2023 8:21 AM
Jul 2022
HaylenGrey said:
Just an 8am thought:

Why does the English translation use “Rascal” when Japan 100% leans into “Teenage Pig” (or along those lines)?
The twitter page utilizes pig emojis at every turn and it’s fantastic and I feel like America is being shafted by a much more tame name.

My guess is that “Teenage Pig does not dream of Bunny Girl Senpai” might be too much for an English audience, but I feel like it wouldn’t be much more jarring than the Bunny Girl Senpai thing in general?
The best thing about the show is going in thinking it’ll be another degenerate slice of life and being hit with the sensation of being 100% wrong.

Just a thought.

Totally Accurate 👍👍
Jan 2, 2023 1:13 PM
Mar 2021
I feel like teenage pig wouldn't be a good translation rascal was definitely the better choice here
Jan 2, 2023 4:39 PM
Apr 2020
They went with Rascal because it sounds nicer. Just because the title sounds degenerate with “Bunny Girl Senpai” doesn’t mean they need to go any further with adding “teenage pig” to it
Jan 2, 2023 8:19 PM
Jan 2021
I found subtitles for this show by someone called "Vivid" Those translations used teenage pig and I found them much better than Crunchyroll subtitles.
Jan 2, 2023 8:29 PM

Aug 2020
Its cus the title sucks. There, I said it.
Keep scrolling
Jan 3, 2023 1:08 AM
Nov 2022
truth999 said:
I feel like teenage pig wouldn't be a good translation rascal was definitely the better choice here

Yeah. Pig just feels more like a fetish.
Jan 5, 2023 4:11 AM
Nov 2022
while buta by itself translates to pig in Japanese, buta yarou is a phrase that mostly translates to rascal or depending on the situation an insult.
Jan 8, 2023 7:31 AM
Dec 2017
> To pig or not to pig?

The proper solution to this problem would be a CloverWorks x Studio Ghibli collab:
Porco Rosso Doesn't Dream of a Bunny Girl Co-Pilot

Jan 11, 2023 8:40 PM
Original Denjin
Nov 2008
OhWhenDidiAsk said:
while buta by itself translates to pig in Japanese, buta yarou is a phrase that mostly translates to rascal or depending on the situation an insult.

Wow, I mean I also knew that buta means "pig" in Japanese, but I didn't know about the latter part. Very good point and this just demonstrates the importance of context, something Japanese society is firmly based on.
Jan 19, 2023 7:47 PM
Dec 2018
This is why,  Japan and China stake a lot more on the zodiac signs for compatibility.

The personality description for the Boar is much like Sukata's personality.

Then look at the bottom about relationship compatibilities with rabbits...

Japanese Zodiac

Learn all about the Japanese Zodiac
Japanese Year of the Boar

The boar is the twelfth symbol in the Japanese Zodiac. Legend has it that the boar outpaced the ox in the race to God, but it ran headlong and shot past God, which was why it ended up in the twelfth place. This sign represents “courage” and “adventure”.
Personality traits

Boars are honest, helpful, and have the spirit of pioneer. They put emphasis on fair play, and do not like play tricks. On the negative side, they are short-tempered, and like to see everything in black and white.
You can identify a boar if they:

Are not good at telling lies.
    Interfere in other people’s business.
    Affectionate and kind to their loved ones.

Compatibility with other signs

Boars are compatible with rabbits and sheep. If these three come together, it generates a great positive power. Boars also have a mutually beneficial relationship with tigers. Snakes are the least compatible with boars.

https://japanesezodiac.com/japanese-year-of-the-boar

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2018

518 by weka »»
Apr 21, 4:56 AM

Poll: » Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2018

278 by Killerind »»
Apr 18, 8:02 PM

» How many chapters left

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 7

10 by Aruhaya »»
Apr 8, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2018

195 by RinoRappa »»
Apr 4, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2018

276 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 24, 5:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.