Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 27, 2022 3:53 PM

Aug 2021
To start off, I'm a huge fan of romance anime, I always care most about the main couple's chemistry, their development and how it ties into the overall narrative. Silent Voice is always praised as "The best anime movie of all time", I totally get why it's so acclaimed by many anime fans. 

To me, the biggest strength of this movie is the redemption of Ishida Shoyo and its realistic portrayal of bullying, depression and harassment, how it can affect each person and how they recover from that depression and isolation. I loved it but something didn't feel right. I rewatched it several times and this is probably the most one-sided romance movie I've ever watched. 

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 27, 2022 4:05 PM
Dec 2020
this is not a romance movie
Jan 2013
Who tf says it’s the best anime movie of all time

btw, it’s not a romance
Jun 2021
Sanjay63773 said:
To start off, I'm a huge fan of romance anime, I always care most about the main couple's chemistry, their development and how it ties into the overall narrative. Silent Voice is always praised as "The best anime movie of all time", I totally get why it's so acclaimed by many anime fans. 

To me, the biggest strength of this movie is the redemption of Ishida Shoyo and its realistic portrayal of bullying, depression and harassment, how it can affect each person and how they recover from that depression and isolation. I loved it but something didn't feel right. I rewatched it several times and this is probably the most one-sided romance movie I've ever watched. 

Well that’s cause it isn’t about romance. Sure theres a bit going on but that is by far from the main focus. Everything else that you listed was the purpose of the movie and if you think it did exactly that then it did it’s job.
Dec 27, 2022 4:06 PM
Jan 2021
The movie has massive pacing issues, it probably skipped 20-30 chapters. Almost every character had a back-story.
the manga is a must read.
Dec 27, 2022 4:08 PM
Jun 2020
tbh this movie isn't all about romance , its a story of shoyo being able to love himself again and that is the reason why you feel so
Dec 27, 2022 4:08 PM
Nov 2022
cueynuts said:

btw, it’s not a romance

Tell me why tf one of the genres for it is romance. I never understood that after watching it
Dec 27, 2022 4:11 PM
Jun 2021
Taidus said:
The movie has massive pacing issues, it probably skipped 20-30 chapters. Almost every character had a back-story.

20-30 is a huge exaggeration, more like 5-10. The only major parts that we’re skipping were the movie sub plot and the shitty plot threads started for basically every character and that we never got an actual end too.
Jan 2013
dksmith04 said:
cueynuts said:

btw, it’s not a romance

Tell me why tf one of the genres for it is romance. I never understood that after watching it

I mean, it’s implied that there is some sort of romantic feelings between the 2 leads but there’s honestly no reason to have it labeled as one. That’s like saying Naruto is a romance because he married Hinata
Dec 27, 2022 4:20 PM
Jan 2021
SparCy said:
Taidus said:

20-30 is a huge exaggeration, more like 5-10. The only major parts that we’re skipping were the movie sub plot and the shitty plot threads started for basically every character and that we never got an actual end too.

ye, but the Yuzuru arc was so good, they basically skipped most of it. They still kept out alot of stuff.
all the characters had some depth.
Dec 27, 2022 4:24 PM

Dec 2021
Sanjay63773 said:

Bhai India ka nam idhar bhi kyu duba raha hain???
faltu meh forum bana ke ijajat dubana achha lagta hain kya??
grow up kid

Dec 27, 2022 4:37 PM

Apr 2022
romance movie? how do you fail to understand the point of the movie if you say you rewatched it multiple times? it's just a romantic subtext, it IS a redemption movie.

title of this thread should be 'somethings wrong with me'. useless thread.
ryzxgumDec 27, 2022 4:43 PM
Dec 27, 2022 4:50 PM

Aug 2021
ryzxgum said:
romance movie? how do you fail to understand the point of the movie if you say you rewatched it multiple times? it's just a romantic subtext, it IS a redemption movie.

title of this thread should be 'somethings wrong with me'. useless thread
MAL is already filled with useless threads, having good discussions on this site is impossible 
Dec 27, 2022 5:02 PM
Mar 2021
Sanjay63773 said:

Who is delusional enough to call this movie the “best anime movie of all time” wtf like this is good but not that good lmfao don’t listen to those weirdos
Dec 27, 2022 5:08 PM

Apr 2022
Sanjay63773 said:
ryzxgum said:

title of this thread should be 'somethings wrong with me'. useless thread
MAL is already filled with useless threads, having good discussions on this site is impossible 

then why are you contributing to the uselessness? how are we meant to have good discussions on this site if people like you exist on here?
Dec 27, 2022 5:28 PM

Jun 2021
Part of my (many) issue(s) with this movie was that it showed signs of ending as a romance, which would have been predictable and in poor taste, but ended up at a “friends are the magic we needed all along” type ending that still somehow felt flat and out of place.
Dec 27, 2022 5:44 PM

Apr 2017
Yeah dude I agree that one girl couldn’t hear or something and it was throwing me off the whole movie!!!
Dec 27, 2022 5:46 PM
Jan 2021
romance movie? I understand that there is little and I mean little love hints between the two main characters but this movie isn't a romance.
Dec 27, 2022 6:19 PM
May 2022
cueynuts said:

btw, it’s not a romance

I do............
Dec 27, 2022 6:21 PM
May 2022
Razrop said:
Sanjay63773 said:

Bhai India ka nam idhar bhi kyu duba raha hain???
faltu meh forum bana ke ijajat dubana achha lagta hain kya??
grow up kid

bhai ko koi KKHH dikhao romance k liye 😂
Dec 27, 2022 6:21 PM
Jan 2013
APDied said:
cueynuts said:

btw, it’s not a romance

I do............

Yikes, watch more movies dawg
Dec 27, 2022 6:27 PM
Jan 2021
It’s not romance. Lil bit implied her having a crush but nothing more. I don’t even think it’s enough for the romantic subtext tag.
Dec 27, 2022 6:28 PM
Sep 2021
You’re missing the message bud
Dec 27, 2022 7:10 PM
May 2022
it's not labeled as a romance it's in the romantic subtext category. that means that romantic feelings may be implied but that's it. this movie definitely does not fall under the romance category as it hardly focuses on romance
Dec 27, 2022 7:37 PM
Aug 2021
If you thought this was a romance movie you missed the point
Dec 27, 2022 7:48 PM
Jul 2021
Dude ASV ain't a typical high school romance movie. Just how were you under this impression, despite rewatching several times?

This isn't like Your Name or Weathering with You. This movie tackles way different themes compared to them.
dk107_Dec 27, 2022 7:54 PM
Dec 27, 2022 7:58 PM

Aug 2018
well I for one think this movie would have been much better if it went all in on the implied romance. Especially if that means we could do away with Ueno's half-assed and undeserved redemption arc and replace that with Shouko getting what she so obviously wants and deserves.
Dec 27, 2022 8:00 PM
Sep 2021
I agree with you. The movie is really good at what it does, but the girl isn’t developped much as a character, and is more of a plot-wise « motivator » element for the main character.
Dec 27, 2022 8:07 PM
Jan 2021
To me this movie never felt like a romance movie about 2 people learning to love each other. it is a movie about 2 people learning to love themselves
Dec 27, 2022 9:35 PM
Nov 2019
cueynuts said:
APDied said:

I do............

Yikes, watch more movies dawg

Bro they said anime movie lmao
Dec 27, 2022 9:50 PM
Oct 2022
SubArU_JeAgEr said:
this is not a romance movie

i really liked the movie....... its not the best anime movie btw
Dec 27, 2022 11:37 PM
Sep 2022
but this isn't romance....?
Dec 29, 2022 5:12 PM
Community Mod
💧Focalors💧

Mar 2022
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules 2: Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.