Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 25, 2022 5:49 AM
Dec 2017
It distracts me a lot when a show has a lot of fan service that isn’t important to the plot or character development. I’ve been meaning to watch this show, since I love sci fi, but if I’m not mistaken, it’s based on a harem visual novel, which makes me think it might have  a lot. 

Does this show have a lot of fanservice? 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 25, 2022 5:56 AM
Apr 2021
“Fan service that isn’t important to the plot” 🤓
Dec 25, 2022 5:56 AM
Apr 2022
Next to no fanservice. You'll be fine.
Dec 25, 2022 5:58 AM
Jul 2021
How is steins;gate a harem?
Dec 25, 2022 6:02 AM
Oct 2019
there’s zero fanservice in this anime
Dec 25, 2022 6:03 AM
Feb 2022
there's... absolutely no fan service
Dec 25, 2022 6:04 AM

May 2021
No fan service, only beautiful story
Dec 25, 2022 6:06 AM

Apr 2022
Fan service that isn’t important to the plot is not fan service. By definition, fan service is useless to the plot.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Dec 25, 2022 6:09 AM
Dec 2021
If I remember correctly, this anime has no fan service or a little (negligible)
Dec 25, 2022 6:09 AM

Apr 2019
Their is almost no fan service in this show whatsoever. You don't need to worry about fan service in this series.
Dec 25, 2022 6:12 AM
Jul 2021
Nah, there is no fan service in this show.

And, SG is not a harem. Idk about the VN but the anime isn't.
Dec 25, 2022 6:12 AM

Mar 2021
if you consider maid girls as fan service, then yes, there are some fan service.

Else there are next to none
Dec 25, 2022 6:15 AM
Jun 2022
there isnt
character limit
Dec 25, 2022 6:51 AM

Jan 2021
RenounceSetr said:
It distracts me a lot when a show has a lot of fan service that isn’t important to the plot or character development. I’ve been meaning to watch this show, since I love sci fi, but if I’m not mistaken, it’s based on a harem visual novel, which makes me think it might have  a lot. 

The VN has elements of the heroine specific route system from dating sims, but that doesn't really make it a harem. You pick a girl and you'll just end up with her, affecting the story accordingly.

The anime just adapts the true route, which is only one of many. The fanservice is practically zero.
Dec 25, 2022 7:02 AM
Nov 2022
There is fanservice.
Does it matter? Absolutely not.
Dec 25, 2022 7:05 AM
Apr 2022
LOL Steins Gate being a harem is comedic
Dec 25, 2022 7:10 AM

Jul 2015
There are like two or three ecchi scenes in entire franchise, so not really.

Dec 25, 2022 7:12 AM
Dec 2017
An_Je942 said:

I don’t like it when female character designs in a show are clearly designed in a sexy manner because the author gets horny looking at them or wants his audience to get horny looking at them, with zero significance to the plot, themes, character development, etc. A good example of such a character would be Mari in the Evangelion Rebuild series. The Major’s outfit in GITS: Stand Alone Complex also caused me to drop it at the first episode (though I could imagine a show like that, about transhumanism, eventually coming around to use her dominatrix outfit as a means of exploring the concept of bodies and their function in society and authority, so i could be throwing the baby out with the bath water by quitting that one so soon). I don’t mind it in a goofy show like MHA, but in a show that is supposed to be serious and meaningful, it totally takes me out of the story when it’s clear characters are designed more around selling body pillows than serving the story.

V1P3R0P said:
if you consider maid girls as fan service, then yes, there are some fan service.

Are you talking about the short girl with the big hat? I did watch the first episode a few years ago, and remember her being the reason I stopped watching, since she seemed sort of fanservicey… like she was supposed to be an adult woman, but looks 12 and seemed very docile and just liked to tag along with what everyone else was doing.
Dec 25, 2022 7:18 AM
Dec 2017
Usapz said:
Fan service that isn’t important to the plot is not fan service. By definition, fan service is useless to the plot.

That’s true - though i thought I’d add that point of clarification since some people operate with a broader (if incorrect) definition of fan service.

I like your avi, btw. I love Land of the Lustrous (can’t wait for the next chapter to come out). Coincidentally, Land of the Lustrous was one show I almost couldn’t get into due to the character designs (since most of the characters at the start just look like cute school girls), but the story and mystery were compelling enough to keep me hooked, and I knew enough about the setting to realize the character designs being the way they were could be explained by the nature of that setting.
Dec 25, 2022 7:46 AM
Jul 2021
An_Je942 said:

How is he a nerd for saying that
Dec 25, 2022 8:15 AM

Mar 2021
it depends on what you consider fanservice, if you mean ecchi, so no, there is no ecchi in this show. Also, it's not a harem
Dec 25, 2022 8:19 AM
Feb 2021
Nah, there really isn't any fan service. Where is it stated that Steins;Gate is based on a harem??? lmfoaooo
Dec 25, 2022 8:37 AM
Jul 2021
It sort of finds that line where it's not enough to distract you but you can't say there's none either
Dec 25, 2022 8:46 AM
Jul 2022
fan service is absent 🙂
Dec 25, 2022 8:47 AM
Dec 2019
DoobieSam said:
Nah, there really isn't any fan service. Where is it stated that Steins;Gate is based on a harem??? lmfoaooo

Technically the visual novel can be classified as a harem since there are multiple endings and he can end up with any of the girls...however the anime obviously choose to adapt the good ending.
Dec 25, 2022 9:10 AM
Nov 2016
Like everyone already said here, you'll be fine, Steins;Gate has no fan service, maybe just a tiny bit but you'll quickly forget about it anyway since fan service is not the main point of Steins;Gate.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy the best time-traveling story in history.
Dec 25, 2022 9:26 AM
May 2015
Personally I never really understand these takes, like something can’t be simultaneously serious and sexy. Have you watched or read any popular older battle shonen? Watched any popular 2000s era mecha like Gurren Lagann or Code Geass? These series have massive followings for the content of the story itself, not (just) the fanservice of the female characters. At the end of the day, anime is meant to be entertaining, and this is entertainment to many people. If seeing Yoko Littner at the beginning of TTGL made you drop such a great anime immediately I really don’t know what to tell you other than you’re missing out.
Dec 25, 2022 9:34 AM
Oct 2012
WeakerLink said:
Next to no fanservice. You'll be fine.

Basically, this show is all about the mind twist of a story
Dec 25, 2022 9:54 AM
Jul 2021
RenounceSetr said:

It’s not based on a harem visual novel you idiot… wtf
Dec 25, 2022 10:10 AM
Jul 2021
no there isn't much fanservice
Dec 25, 2022 10:16 AM
Feb 2022
nah there’s no fanservice, it being a harem vn does make the mc get ig romantic with like 6 girls in different episodes but it’s more focused on the sci-fi and vibe. most people don’t really mind the slight distraction as the show covers it up extremely well.
Dec 25, 2022 10:40 AM

May 2016
Subham0464 said:
DoobieSam said:

Technically the visual novel can be classified as a harem since there are multiple endings and he can end up with any of the girls...however the anime obviously choose to adapt the good ending.

S;G VN + little bit of S;G movie, Robotics;Notes VN and Robotics;Notes DaSH

-
Dec 25, 2022 10:43 AM

Mar 2018
I've watched this show three times and I cannot think of a single instance of fanservice
Dec 25, 2022 11:03 AM
Aug 2020
From what I remember nah
Dec 25, 2022 11:10 AM

Apr 2022
a lot of females around doesn't make it a harem, only one or two fanservice scenes in the whole show.
Dec 25, 2022 11:23 AM

Apr 2022
RenounceSetr said:
Usapz said:

That’s true - though i thought I’d add that point of clarification since some people operate with a broader (if incorrect) definition of fan service.

I like your avi, btw. I love Land of the Lustrous (can’t wait for the next chapter to come out). Coincidentally, Land of the Lustrous was one show I almost couldn’t get into due to the character designs (since most of the characters at the start just look like cute school girls), but the story and mystery were compelling enough to keep me hooked, and I knew enough about the setting to realize the character designs being the way they were could be explained by the nature of that setting.
I haven't finished reading land of the lustrous yet. I'm at chapter 70, it's really good ngl. I feel like the manga don't really have these moe character design, and it's only the anime adaptation. But are you sure anime is for you, because moe and cute girls have taken over the anime industry for years.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Dec 25, 2022 11:25 AM
Jul 2022
Another dumbass who couldn't even Google such a simple question ( ̄ー ̄)
Dec 25, 2022 12:02 PM
Mar 2021
There is one singular fan service in the whole show.
Nov 2019
You’re in luck, there’s little to none.
Mar 2021
One singular fanservice in the whole show
Nov 2019
You’re in luck, there’s little to none.
Dec 25, 2022 12:27 PM
Jun 2021
whoever told you this is harem straight lied lmao
Dec 25, 2022 12:29 PM
Jun 2021
RenounceSetr said:
An_Je942 said:

I don’t like it when female character designs in a show are clearly designed in a sexy manner because the author gets horny looking at them or wants his audience to get horny looking at them, with zero significance to the plot, themes, character development, etc. A good example of such a character would be Mari in the Evangelion Rebuild series. The Major’s outfit in GITS: Stand Alone Complex also caused me to drop it at the first episode (though I could imagine a show like that, about transhumanism, eventually coming around to use her dominatrix outfit as a means of exploring the concept of bodies and their function in society and authority, so i could be throwing the baby out with the bath water by quitting that one so soon). I don’t mind it in a goofy show like MHA, but in a show that is supposed to be serious and meaningful, it totally takes me out of the story when it’s clear characters are designed more around selling body pillows than serving the story.

V1P3R0P said:

Are you talking about the short girl with the big hat? I did watch the first episode a few years ago, and remember her being the reason I stopped watching, since she seemed sort of fanservicey… like she was supposed to be an adult woman, but looks 12 and seemed very docile and just liked to tag along with what everyone else was doing.

mayuri is "fanservicey"? don't bother watching this show you don't deserve it
Dec 25, 2022 12:36 PM

Sep 2020
43 people replied to a simple question. STEINS;GATE is GARGANTUAN!

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 25, 2022 1:19 PM
Jun 2021
Fan service is great and I don’t get how it’s distracting to you. But no, there isn’t fan service.
Dec 25, 2022 1:48 PM
Dec 2017
ShamankinguYoh said:
Personally I never really understand these takes, like something can’t be simultaneously serious and sexy. Have you watched or read any popular older battle shonen? Watched any popular 2000s era mecha like Gurren Lagann or Code Geass? These series have massive followings for the content of the story itself, not (just) the fanservice of the female characters. At the end of the day, anime is meant to be entertaining, and this is entertainment to many people. If seeing Yoko Littner at the beginning of TTGL made you drop such a great anime immediately I really don’t know what to tell you other than you’re missing out.

For me, gratuitous lewd character designs makes a show less entertaining. I’m not a prude, but there’s a time and a place for everything. I do really like Code Geass, but I watched it for the first time when it was first airing, when I was younger and fan service didn’t bother me as much.

Usapz said:
I haven't finished reading land of the lustrous yet. I'm at chapter 70, it's really good ngl. I feel like the manga don't really have these moe character design, and it's only the anime adaptation. But are you sure anime is for you, because moe and cute girls have taken over the anime industry for years.

Moe and cute girls have been prominent in anime for decades now, as you say. There are still good ones that meet my criteria here and there, though. Shin Sekai Yori, the new adaptation of LOGH, and Attack on Titan come to mind as fairly recent ones.

I do like a few anime that have a lot of fan service, like MHA and One Punch Man, but they have an overall less serious tone, so it doesn’t bother me as much.
Dec 25, 2022 2:02 PM

Apr 2022
RenounceSetr said:
ShamankinguYoh said:

For me, gratuitous lewd character designs makes a show less entertaining. I’m not a prude, but there’s a time and a place for everything. I do really like Code Geass, but I watched it for the first time when it was first airing, when I was younger and fan service didn’t bother me as much.

Usapz said:

Moe and cute girls have been prominent in anime for decades now, as you say. There are still good ones that meet my criteria here and there, though. Shin Sekai Yori, the new adaptation of LOGH, and Attack on Titan come to mind as fairly recent ones.

I do like a few anime that have a lot of fan service, like MHA and One Punch Man, but they have an overall less serious tone, so it doesn’t bother me as much.

I know it's a shame, but I still haven't watch AOT and don't consider watching it. 

I don't remember MHA having this much fanservice. Some names of anime that have more fanservice than mha already pops in my head, like food wars or no game no lige. Mha is really family friendly (I think). It's not like the monogatari series or domestic na kanajo. But I can understand that for someone who doesn't like fanservice, MHA may look like an anime that have a lot of fanservice. (I'm so sorry for my english, I'm not native)
Dec 25, 2022 2:14 PM
Mar 2020
No not really an fan service
Dec 25, 2022 2:19 PM
Dec 2017
Usapz said:
I don't remember MHA having this much fanservice. Some names of anime that have more fanservice than mha already pops in my head, like food wars or no game no lige. Mha is really family friendly (I think). It's not like the monogatari series or domestic na kanajo. But I can understand that for someone who doesn't like fanservice, MHA may look like an anime that have a lot of fanservice. (I'm so sorry for my english, I'm not native)

Most of the adult female character designs in MHA are skintight spandex costumes, showing off their huge boobs and butt. The character designs for the school-aged girls are also questionable, especially the one who creates matter out of nowhere and always wears a red dress with her boobs exposed. So yeah, MHA is bad just because some of the fan service characters are underage, which is weird. Any worse than MHA, I might as well just watch hentai.
Dec 25, 2022 2:22 PM
Jan 2022
There’s no fan service, and it’s not a harem at all. They’re all just friends.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

804 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

309 by DmtTrean »»
Apr 9, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - May 3, 2011

280 by Mahmoud636363 »»
Apr 9, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.