Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2010 8:43 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this is definitely one of the better movies, much closer to the feel of Castle of Cagliostro than the newer ones

I also appreciate the harshness of Goemon's expressions. He was much more BA than the newer more corny "one-liner" Goemon
DarthDaimyoMay 6, 2010 3:50 PM

RtheO
Sep 17, 2011 7:24 PM

Sep 2008
Whoa, what happened to their voices!?
Well maybe it's just Jigen's voice that sucks, but still...

Otherwise the movie was sorta good; I enjoyed the Goemon/Murasaki relationship the most, very cute.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2011 4:59 AM

Jun 2008
guess you watched the English dub, it wasn't done by Funi. I'd reccomend rewatching it in japanese.

RtheO
Dec 30, 2013 12:47 AM

Jun 2010
Decent adventure story. Certainly an interestingly rare portrayal of Goemon being motivated by emotion and actually managing to relate to a woman, though she's not very interesting herself.

Seeing Zenigata with what seem to be relatives was neat.

A Fuma clan of ninjas also appear in episode 26 of the second TV series but there's not much point to the connection.

Zenigata's hat is inexplicably drawn with limp brim the whole time. Is it supposed to be in bad shape because he hasn't worn it in a while? This is also sometimes true of Jigen's hat, though, so it's pretty weird, overall.

HawthorneKitty said:
Whoa, what happened to their voices!?
Well maybe it's just Jigen's voice that sucks, but still...
Simply_Waiting said:
guess you watched the English dub, it wasn't done by Funi. I'd reccomend rewatching it in japanese.

Maybe not; the Japanese dub didn't use the actors who had portrayed these characters so often before, which apparently caused a bit of trouble. From the Wikipedia page on this OVA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plot_of_the_Fuma_Clan#Production):
Due to budget concerns, TMS decided not to employ the regular voice cast for the OVA, instead going for a slightly less-expensive yet still well-known Aoni Production cast. When the news was broken to Yasuo Yamada, it was not made clear who was responsible for the dismissal, leaving him with the impression that Lupin III's creator Monkey Punch had lobbied the producers for a new voice actor. In reality, Monkey Punch was happy with Yamada's portrayal, but felt that he had no business in telling the production company what to do. Monkey Punch tried to reassure Yamada (with whom he had developed a friendship during the years of Lupin TV series) that he had nothing to do with it, and the regulars were reinstated with the first television special, Bye Bye Liberty Crisis. However, the relationship between Yamada and Monkey Punch was permanently strained by the casting substitution.

I like the usual cast but I think the new people did fine, although maybe Banjou Ginga is trying a bit too hard to have Jigen's voice be deep.
May 30, 2015 3:29 PM

Jul 2014
Back to a more 70s style. Well, except for the ost.
Jan 15, 2016 12:17 PM

May 2012
Not half as bad as some people suggested it would be. This OVA mad me like Goemon as a character a lot more. Until I watched it, I didn't had any impressions of him at all.
I just missed Kiyoshi Kobayashi as Jigen.
Oct 29, 2016 3:57 PM

Apr 2012
Really enjoyed this, it's the first good movie since Cagliostro.
Feb 10, 2018 1:11 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, I just love Green Jacket Fujiko so much. Finally, she is back to be the badass female character she truly is <3
Mar 5, 2018 10:24 AM

Feb 2015
This is actually the best Lupin film. Fight me.
Mar 18, 2018 1:08 PM

Nov 2011
As valuable as OVA, a moving and action-packed story, moreover, even if it is not too mysterious, the plot has been able to maintain a halo of arcane on the facts narrated. Great character design of the characters (my favorite) and the quality of the drawings, good animations for those times. The judge one of the best adaptations of Lupine, together with the Castle of Cagliostro etc.

8/10
Mar 31, 2019 1:39 PM

Nov 2016
The chase scene through the onsen was so lol.

Pretty good movie, I liked the plot, the style and the fact that we got to see a different side of Goemon.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 7, 2019 4:48 PM

Sep 2011
The best one yet besides Cagliostro no Shiro. Good character design, good animation, a cool and action-packed story, a lot of screen time for Goemon, and all the other main characters, even Zenigata, played a role too. What isn't there to love? I guess that Jigen didn't get a chance to show his marksmanship, but he still had his moments. Oh, and it was hard to get used to their voices at first. Now, Fujiko always seems to get captured in the movies/specials, but this time she was able to escape fast, and she got some evidence for Zenigata, together with a little "gift" which helped Lupin to get away from him during that car chase. It was pretty cool. Poor shopping street and onsen inn though, especially the inn, it got wrecked. lol

Murasaki was a nice character too, I wish I were the one marrying Goemon though, and she was present for the story and battle after being rescued at the start instead of just being put aside. It's a pity Goemon gave up on her in the end, but well, it was inevitable. It was nice to see how they got to know, and fall for each other with that montage though. Those ninjas were no match for Goemon either, not even their boss, and their fight was cool as well! The descent itself into that underground cave full of traps and pitfalls was nice too, my favorite bit of it was when Fujiko dashed ahead, activating a lot of the traps and pitfalls without falling to any of them.

And I just love how Fujiko managed to get away with that gold piece, even if it was nothing compared to what was buried, she was still the only one who profited. xD Oh, and Zenigata being the one who risked his life to warn them about the imminent collapse was pretty nice. It was a good role for him play in all of this.
Dec 3, 2020 11:19 AM

Dec 2018
I agree with that one guy with a review who said that the movie was desperately missing the usual jazzy lupin soundtrack, although I surprisingly got over the different voices pretty quick. The sakuga chase scenes were fun enough to ignore the rest of the movies problems IMO.
Jun 8, 2022 2:11 PM
Mar 2021
A Simple story, but well executed.

The different voice actors threw me off especially because I know most of them from very different shows, but they delivered a good performance and it is certainly a Lupin III movie in spirit.

Good movie.

7/10
Oct 21, 2022 6:27 AM

Aug 2017
Can't believe people dislike the new voices, I just wanted to hear more of them! Kaneto Shiozawa's Goemon is cool, and Toshio Furukawa is a nice fit for Lupin (I see Ataru in him and damn it fits). Very fluid animation too, and the chase scenes were fun. It's simple but enjoyable, and Murasaki gave off a bit of a Ghibli-esque feel to me. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of the previous installments to dislike this one in comparison?

Oh, and Shinji Kimura's and Shichiro Kobayashi's art is great as always.
Dec 10, 2022 7:43 PM

Dec 2021
Watched this because I needed a breather from Part 2 and 3, and also wanted to see what green jacket Lupin was getting up to after Part 1 ended.

I'm normally a huge fan of hearing Toshio Furukawa's voice wherever he finds himself, but here... he just sounds strange, so does Goemon's seiyu. Jigen's seiyu isn't bad, but man, these guys are just too dissimilar to the seiyu that usually play these characters. I do love the artstyle here, it's quite fitting for a green jacket Lupin movie, and captures EXACTLY I first think of when I think Lupin (Also, I just loved the character designs of Part 1), though it's quite unusual seeing it paired with such high quality animation (Not like Part 1 had bad animation, but it's night and day here). The way Zenigata was drawn reminds me of how he looked in the canceled Lupin VIII series pilot.

Fuma clan mooks looked like something straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon, like TMNT. Really strange looking.

Comedy was on point. Soundtrack was cool. Action was good too. The bit where Lupin switched faces to all his previous incarnations (Except the technically future incarnation, Lupin VIII) was a nice nod to the audience as well. Good enough movie, nothing too big, but enjoyable. 8.25/10, would've been higher if they also had the drunk man music from part 1, I loved that shit.
Daviljoe193Dec 10, 2022 8:04 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.