Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2022 8:15 PM

Nov 2022
I wonder if you just watch everything or are you very picky about what you watch.

I used to be very picky, but now I am somewhat less so. I watch record 4 shows out of the entire season. Tried and dropped two more. May be it is just a good season though.

Back in the days I might have even skipped the entire seasons, since nothing in particular appealed to me from a short description and art provided.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 9, 2022 8:27 PM

Jan 2022
I watch everything.
I watch 15 - 20 shows out of the entire season.
Dec 9, 2022 8:27 PM

Jan 2013
I'm watching 20 shows this season, so... not very.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Dec 9, 2022 8:31 PM
Community Mod
💧Focalors💧

Mar 2022
I was extremely picky until a few months ago. I wouldn't even watch an anime if it was lacking something on my outrageously long list of requirements.

I have so many re-watched because I'd keep re-watching the same anime I liked over and over, lol.

I'm still a little picky, but I think I'm fine now though.
Dec 9, 2022 8:49 PM

Nov 2022
rewatching is also something I do quite often.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Dec 9, 2022 9:03 PM

Dec 2019
I watch just about anything regardless of quality or if it has anything I like, except popular currently airing shows, I stay away from those like the plague. My policy is to wait at least 2 years after they finished airing, if people are still going batshit over it, I'll wait another 2 years, and so on and so forth. Other than that I watch pretty much anything.
Dec 9, 2022 9:22 PM

Jul 2016
I watch anything though I'm starting to be more selective. Though that selection process is still very arbitrary. I usually avoid shows from the current year though.
Dec 9, 2022 9:25 PM

Aug 2018
I am close minded and proud of it. even though I don't hesitate to drop things that turn out to be bad, I can't get back the time I invested finding out. when it comes to anime, I know what I like which not include muh "mature themes" and muh "adult cast". So I avoid certain genres and themes. I even judge by cover art.
Dec 9, 2022 9:32 PM

Oct 2018
Not very selective for the most part, but I do notice I tend to avoid a lot of modern Shounen, I find a lot of them too formulaic for my own personal tastes. But just about any other genre is fair game, especially a lot of Seinen and Shoujo among other assorted genre offerings, usually if they have interesting characters or plots that catch my attention looking through MAL listings/synopsis, i'll at least give a title a try for a few episodes.
Dec 9, 2022 10:04 PM

Sep 2020
Not very selective I think, I usually watch every genre except one or two.
Dec 9, 2022 10:10 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Nowadays thanks to me being busy and also laziness I'm quite picky on what I will watch.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 9, 2022 10:18 PM
Sep 2017
Im very selective. I dont wanna waste time watching something that dont appeal to me.

Dec 9, 2022 10:21 PM

Jul 2021
not at all. i like to watch and explore all kinds of animes. i see no point of restricting oneself to only one type of anime. sure you like that particular genre but why not explore other genres, one might find out something they like.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 9, 2022 11:40 PM

Nov 2022
Well, I read short descriptions and check art from time to time. Only like 20% piques my interest, some of it I dismiss after researching them further or thinking some time about it. For those who can pass that I download several early episodes to check out the actual stuff. Then if these are good I download the rest and watch further, otherwise I drop.

May be we need to add 'did not pass preliminary evaluation' status to anime, in addition to watch, completed, dropped, on hold...

Dec 9, 2022 11:49 PM

Oct 2008
Not that picky, in choosing what to watch. However when it comes to continuing to watch, after the initial episode or episodes, I get picky.
Dec 9, 2022 11:51 PM

Sep 2020
I watch everything but I'm not afraid to drop or just stop watching an anime if it bores me and I find little interest in the characters or the story.

Oh, I actually have a few reservations, I barely watch Isekai shows, I hate most of them, and even the ones I have a mostly positive opinion of like Mushoku tensei and Re Zero, I still hate multiple aspects of those aforementioned shows. I don't watch generic ecchi as much as I used to anymore as well.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 9, 2022 11:52 PM

Sep 2021
i'm hesitant to watch ecchi, harem, comedy or romance shows because most of the time I don't end up liking them much
but otherwise, not really picky at all, I'll watch what I hear is good
at the end of the day I watch anime for enjoyment not to critique them
Dec 10, 2022 12:00 AM

Dec 2019
Not picky at all I like pretty much everything lol
Dec 10, 2022 12:06 AM

Feb 2020
I usually watch 10-15 anime per season. Not so selective, I guess.

SerafosDec 10, 2022 1:59 AM
Dec 10, 2022 12:07 AM

Apr 2015
I'm very judgemental, but I have watched shit just because of some voice actor and other dumb reasons. Most stupid reason must be that the movie had theatrical release here, and I wanna support and show anime movies can attract audience, so I watched the tv show before going to cinema. Reason why I watched Demon Slayer and JJK. Otherwise would never have picked them, and yes they suck still.
Dec 10, 2022 12:11 AM

Jun 2022
I watch anything but sometimes, just sometimes I would prefer watching Slice of Life only, so somewhat picky?
Dec 10, 2022 12:18 AM

Dec 2020
for me I'm not picky on whether its good or not, i'm ok with watching a 5-7 rated anime if it sounds like something I'd like, but I do want to keep my watch list at least considerably manageable so I'm on the whole "I wont add anything until I see more anime on my plan to!!" binge until I completely break my discipline and I see something that looks good, therefore adding it to my list
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Dec 10, 2022 12:18 AM

Mar 2021
I only watch 2-3 seasonals at a time
And if we are talking about completed shows of the past (i watch at the rate of 4-7 ep per day) I only pick 2 at a time

So yeah I am kinda selective in which series I should give my time
Dec 10, 2022 1:51 AM

Oct 2014
I usually try around 10 anime in a season, but drop most of them since they're unwatchable.
Dec 10, 2022 1:57 AM

May 2019
If there isn't any boobs or butts every few minute or so then i don't watch, simple as that it's my selection.
Dec 10, 2022 2:36 AM

Sep 2018
I prefer giving something a try and, if necessary, drop it immediately rather than skipping it altogether. I'm not yet at the point where I check out all the 50+ new anime of each season, I usually start watching 15-25 and drop about 40% of them.
Dec 10, 2022 2:43 AM
Jun 2022
I'm watching seasonals this season. Do I need to explain more?
Dec 10, 2022 2:50 AM
Jun 2021
epidemia78 said:
I am close minded and proud of it. even though I don't hesitate to drop things that turn out to be bad, I can't get back the time I invested finding out. when it comes to anime, I know what I like which not include muh "mature themes" and muh "adult cast". So I avoid certain genres and themes. I even judge by cover art.

Same here, though frankly anime is way less tryhard at being "mature" than a vast majority of Western shows. I don't mind serious themes creeping in.
Though I do have to say I too gravitate towards shows that end up comfy.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Dec 10, 2022 2:56 AM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:

I go out of my way to avoid animes with too young of a cast.
Also find it very disappointing if the comfy SoL anime I started doesn't give me depression.
Dec 10, 2022 2:57 AM

Oct 2022
Kind of. Next season i'll probably watch only 2 shows, maybe even less.
Audaces fortuna juvat.
Dec 10, 2022 3:33 AM

Feb 2021
Sometimes. Usually I read synopsis and see the videos to make my own opinion whether to watch it or not.
Dec 10, 2022 3:37 AM

Oct 2013
Much more than I used to be. I used to watch 20-30 seasonals for a few years and that eventually got whittled down to 0 and I now only watch finished shows. I have broad interests, so between anime, games, and books, I have a litany of stuff I already know I'm interested in, and I try not to add anything new to my lists unless I have high confidence I'll enjoy it. I even purged my ptw lists of anything I wasn't fully interested in, which brought it down from around 900 and currently sits at 366.

"The kindest person in the room is often the smartest."
Dec 10, 2022 5:53 AM

Nov 2014
I used to watch almost anything, but my free time shrunk so I'm pickier now.
Dec 10, 2022 6:56 AM

Aug 2018
selective enough to the point that i'm never gonna watch dragon ball and detective conan
Dec 10, 2022 7:43 AM

Jul 2021
Dec 10, 2022 7:48 AM

Mar 2019
i used to watch just about any anime but i've seen way too many high school centered anime so now i am picky towards what i watch
Dec 10, 2022 10:49 AM
Feb 2014
I guess i can be quite selective when it comes to certain criteria that i don't want to compromise on.

Or maybe not really as strict though, considering that i still added 624 anime to my PTW list though. (even if some of them only slightly peaked my interest lol.)
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Dec 10, 2022 11:53 AM

Jan 2022
I'm just as picky as I ever was. While I'm much more open minded now and have even watched and/or procured into my DVD 📀 & Blu-ray collection stuff that's more cutesy looking (Moe'?) or even goofy...

I still look for stuff that is what has jokingly been referred to as MANime. Character designs that are Hard versus soft in shows that are Action based, Mecha based, etc. Like for ever KONOSUBA or Devil Is A Part Timer I may watch / like... I still gravitate to stuff like Golden Kamuy, Vinland Saga, Angolmois more.

Stuff like Girls Und Panzer I had to warm up to but ultimately love it, but won't lie, I'd prefer shows like that be less Cutesy and more serious with serious character designs. I have had to relent a lot as of late because shows are going to be what they are and I'll miss out on stuff otherwise. Like I lobed GIRLY AIR FORCE, but it would have been nicer for me had it been more AREA 88 like or YUKI KAZE.

Overall I am a serious person. I like my comedies (still need to watch my Hidemari Sketch DVDs) but I like serious stuff with serious character designs and less cutesy. That said I just ordered LYCORIS RECOIL due to the subject matter, but would have preferred characters be more Black Lagoon-esque.

Oh well.
Dec 10, 2022 12:10 PM

Aug 2011
Not very. I'll give almost anything a try, and I usually pick up somewhere in the range of 12-18 shows per season. If I don't enjoy something after a few episodes, I can always drop it, so I see no reason to be super careful about what I start. I actually do enjoy, and finish, the vast majority of the shows I pick up in an average season, though.
Dec 10, 2022 12:17 PM

Aug 2018
TheMechaManiac said:
epidemia78 said:

Same here, though frankly anime is way less tryhard at being "mature" than a vast majority of Western shows. I don't mind serious themes creeping in.
Though I do have to say I too gravitate towards shows that end up comfy.

Comfy is what anime does best. Kinda interesting considering Japan's brutal work culture.

JaniSIr said:

Also find it very disappointing if the comfy SoL anime I started doesn't give me depression.

Meh real life is already depressing enough. I do like it when happy shows mix in a heavy dose of sadness though. It makes the happy times more meaningful. As long as the show doesn't end on a sad note like Chono Crusade did. I will never watch that show again!
Dec 10, 2022 12:42 PM

May 2021
not too picky but won’t just watch anything
anything that’s too long puts me off but that’s just pure laziness lol
Dec 10, 2022 1:29 PM

Feb 2022
I wasn't before but now i might be little bit. Currently i am watching shows that some sibling or cousin romance because i never watched or read something like that before, it all started with kiss x sis and yosuga no sora and I loved these shows. This thing is not a deal breaker but i would watch them first if show have that kind of romance and but now it feels like i have seen everything in this theme and it is difficult to find anime like these.
[/url]
Dec 10, 2022 1:48 PM

Sep 2021
I'll give a chance to just about anything. But I do like to stay close to my preferred genres (iyashikei, romance, and drama)- but even though I don't usually get easily excited about things like military and mecha, I still enjoy them if they have elements of drama and romance in them. I love romance and drama where the characters have to really work for their ending (whether happy or not), and I guess I like watching characters emotionally suffer...? For my iyashikei I'm totally fine with things being calm and happy- but I've noticed I can get really bored if characters either have no conflict, or if it's manufactured conflict, in other genres.

If we're talking seasonals specifically, I'm a lot less picky, something about only watching an episode a week makes them easier to watch somehow. That's also when I try to find things outside my 'comfort zone' somewhat.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Dec 10, 2022 1:58 PM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:
JaniSIr said:

Meh real life is already depressing enough. I do like it when happy shows mix in a heavy dose of sadness though. It makes the happy times more meaningful. As long as the show doesn't end on a sad note like Chono Crusade did. I will never watch that show again!

True, but caring about a fictional depression is still different from your own depression.
And agree, can't just be fluffy happy all the time, that gets tiring eventually.

Though I don't particularly care how a show ends, if it follows logically from what came before.
Some shows would have been bad if they didn't follow through with the sad ending.
Dec 10, 2022 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
ThorLL said:
I wonder if you just watch everything or are you very picky about what you watch.

I used to be very picky, but now I am somewhat less so. I watch record 4 shows out of the entire season. Tried and dropped two more. May be it is just a good season though.

Back in the days I might have even skipped the entire seasons, since nothing in particular appealed to me from a short description and art provided.

I used to watch any kind of show before, but nowadays I don't have that much free time, so I'd rather make sure to watch good stuff. Essentially, no seasonal anime, just old stuff I missed.
Dec 10, 2022 2:47 PM

Dec 2018
I would not say I am picky, however, the amount of garbage that airs every season is quite something is not it?

I have seen people here say they are watching 20+ shows from the current season and I am just like "how?".
Do not get me wrong, if they are having fun let them keep enjoying themselves but I just do not see how they found so many things to watch this season.

I am watching 6 currently airing anime (Chainsaw Man, Spy x Family, Blue Lock, Boku no hero, Fumetsu and Arknights) and of those 6 only 3 will have a rating above 7/10 (unless something really awful happens).

Again, I would not say I am picky (I am watching Arknights of all things) but certain seasons really lack quality.

Dec 10, 2022 8:37 PM

Oct 2014
I'm not super critical about what I pick up. If it looks cute I'll watch it unless it sounds like it's bad. I also watch a lot of stuff that's clearly bad but I feel like watching anyway. I don't watch seasonals, though, at least not until they've finished airing. Some seasons have very few anime I feel like watching, but this season has a lot I'm interested in.
Dec 10, 2022 8:38 PM

Aug 2016
For the most part watched everything. Now I'm limiting myself which makes me become more selective
Dec 10, 2022 8:39 PM

Aug 2009
...I think it's fair to say that I'm very selective.

Dec 10, 2022 9:26 PM
Dec 2020
I feel as though I'm pretty selective. But there's tens of thousands of titles out there, and hundreds more each year, so I don't see much of an issue with it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

32 by BatoKusanagi »»
2 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 minutes ago

0 by VeryRedBags »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

85 by Hitagi__Furude »»
6 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 8 hours ago

16 by nyugvo6 »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.