Forum Settings
Forums

Our real enemy is not cgi, not bad writing and not rushed endings. It is the towel.

New
Dec 8, 2022 11:22 AM

Oct 2010
So I was watching Ginga Tetsudou Eternal Fantasy when the bath scene happened, I was a bit excited because Maetel's artstyle is so hot in the movie but what I got was some lameass towel covering the important parts. Why do towels even exists in a bath scene, towels are made to use after you get out of water, to dry yourself. What's even the reason to show a bath scene with the sexiest woman in the 70s if you show nothing?

People who watched the movie might argue that next comes a brief moment when she lifts her towel but her hair and the reflected light get in the way, which is fair but it doesn't really matter because at least that looks natural, it has a certain allure, this towel is like "buy this towel, is super smooth, only 6800 yen, it comes with Maetel flavor".

So I wanna ask, do you think that unnecessary placements of things in well established scenes are more annoying than cgi, bad writings and rushed endings? Do you remember something like this that annoys you?
Dec 8, 2022 11:24 AM

Jun 2017
100%. Towels, steam, and random beams of light should be a crime
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dec 8, 2022 11:38 AM

May 2020
Very true. Not everyone can be as based as gunbuster who show the tit in all its glory. I cast my scorn onto the towels and to you I vow! One day, the tits shall be free!
Dec 8, 2022 11:40 AM
Apr 2022
towel chan keeping us from seeing those round lumps of meat Makes me so ANGRY!
Dec 8, 2022 11:41 AM

May 2019
I absolutely agree, i've been fighting against that cursed towel and all other forms of "convenient censorship" for 20 years.
Dec 8, 2022 12:08 PM

Aug 2021
You are right, our enemy is the towel and other forms of censorship too.

Dec 8, 2022 12:23 PM

Nov 2010
My man. Dropping facts and asking really important questions
Dec 8, 2022 12:27 PM

Dec 2020
finally saying what needs to be said in this community. I'm so proud of you all grown up it brings tears to my eyes
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Dec 8, 2022 12:33 PM

Feb 2016
Yu-Gi-Oh has a bath episode with towels. I thought it weird even as a kid.

その目だれの目?
Dec 8, 2022 2:27 PM
Oct 2021
you need to lose your virginity already
Candy:
Dec 8, 2022 2:56 PM

Oct 2022
I wouldn't compare them to CGI and bad writing, those are separate issues. The cgi battle was lost a long time ago anyway, most everything you see is cgi including the 2D stuff.
There are rules to follow to air stuff on tv, so I don't fault the use of props to cover up nudity. My actual complaint is that DVD releases KEEP THE CENSORSHIP.
Dec 8, 2022 7:00 PM
Mar 2017
The towel was meant to be taken with you on journeys (Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy style always bring a towel with you) (likely to clean you off, have space showers, fire situations maybe if can't bring a fire blanket or maybe slide down on to avoid mud or something slippery/gooey or such) not hide for censorship.

It makes sense but yeah it seems a bit of a waste even if anime logic/tropey, why wet a towel for visual reasons when what are they going to dry themselves off with it's just silly.

A swimsuit makes more sense (I know some anime do but I forget which ones) (whatever type they want to cover or show as much as necessary) than wasting 2 towels, 1 for the bath, 1 for drying off.

That or use hair as a possibility as well if it's long enough/can work around it in those scenes. Towels, (beams of light only make sense in daytime even if usually badly put on screen anyway) and so on are a joke even if do the job.

At that point might as well not even show those scenes entirely and move on but they include them, if they didn't include them they wouldn't have to censor anything at all.
Suntanned_Duck2Dec 11, 2022 5:52 PM
Dec 8, 2022 8:57 PM

Jun 2017
Catalano said:
her hair and the reflected light get in the way, which is fair but it doesn't really matter because at least that looks natural

Yeah, natural, because that's how hair works IRL.

Dec 8, 2022 9:27 PM

Sep 2021
for real.
while trying to fight against CGI and shitty writing we missed our true, one common enemy all along
Dec 8, 2022 9:27 PM

Feb 2016
Suntanned_Duck2 said:
A swimsuit makes more sense (whatever type they want to cover or show as much as necessary) than wasting 2 towels, 1 for the bath, 1 for drying off.

Akazukin Chacha has a bath scene with swimsuits. I think it makes more sense too.
その目だれの目?
Dec 8, 2022 9:52 PM

Oct 2019
who are we kidding, if the towel wasn't there, it would be steam, if not steam it would be hair, if not hair it would be a random string of light.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 8, 2022 10:12 PM

Oct 2010
Tirinchas said:
Catalano said:
her hair and the reflected light get in the way, which is fair but it doesn't really matter because at least that looks natural

Yeah, natural, because that's how hair works IRL.

I expected someone complaining about that, look how they dealt with it
Dec 8, 2022 11:12 PM

Nov 2019
Even when the towel is off, there are still steam, flashes or areas of holy light, bubbles, decorative rocks, as well as many other kinds of censorship. What was the deal again, mate?
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Dec 9, 2022 4:00 PM
Dec 2021
Ingrates. It’s to protect our eyes from pain. Lovecraftian madness is not a pleasant experience.
Dec 9, 2022 4:17 PM

Jul 2020
This problem would be solved by simply not including a bath scene. If there’s a plot-important reason to have one, sure, but usually it could easily be replaced with a scene that doesn’t have naked characters. No need to censor if there’s nothing TO censor right?

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Dec 9, 2022 4:45 PM

Nov 2021
You Have Finally Found A Problem That Needs To Be Sloved Immediately.
Dec 9, 2022 6:05 PM

Oct 2017
Ah yes, I too like to moisten my towel in the bathtub because that makes logical sense. If you're gonna censor the nudity, make it have some sort of logic like the steam or bubbles, something that would naturally be there
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Dec 9, 2022 6:11 PM

Jan 2013
Wait, I have seen plenty of anime where it's normal for them to wear a towel in a hot springs or whatever.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Dec 10, 2022 10:11 AM

Jul 2021
LostSpectre said:
Wait, I have seen plenty of anime where it's normal for them to wear a towel in a hot springs or whatever.

Well, in other animes they said that you are supposed to be naked in the hot spring.
So I'm guessing unless it's intentionally westerners not knowing local customs, I'd write that up to regular censorship.
Dec 10, 2022 11:53 AM

Jan 2013
JaniSIr said:
LostSpectre said:

Well, in other animes they said that you are supposed to be naked in the hot spring.
So I'm guessing unless it's intentionally westerners not knowing local customs, I'd write that up to regular censorship.
That doesn't tell us which one is actually correct.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Dec 10, 2022 6:30 PM

Jan 2013
JaniSIr said:
LostSpectre said:

Alright, it was just another form of hot spring censorship... those bastards.

More topics from this board

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 53 minutes ago

4 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

19 by velvetnyan »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

194 by KeyiOs »»
9 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 8 hours ago

14 by 024 »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

52 by Oofmastre9000 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.