Forum Settings
Forums

esports are the future while traditional sports will become obsolete with technology like genetic editing

New
Dec 7, 2022 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
i just finished watching this video and it makes so much sense i agree with it https://youtu.be/cZ9YAFYIBOU

sports are never about fairness since athletes are freak of natures or they have abnormal biology so what happens if genetic editing becomes mainstream is that still gonna be entertaining to watch when those who have the advance technology and huge amount of money can win any sports?

so thoughts? so like the video says esports is more likely to be the future of sports instead because esports are less about abnormal physical abilities but reaction times and doping can be easily tested if someone is doing it too ye sure genetic editing can improve reaction times too but i think that is easy to control and tested for esports
Dec 7, 2022 3:59 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Highly unlikely. The type of dedication that goes into eSports is nothing like the fanaticism that goes into regular sports. Watching skilled people excel at physical activities is far more engaging for your general audience then the abstractions present in eSports, where some level of knowledge of the medium is required to get anything out of it. Anyone can watch sports, because most of us already know the rules. The same can't be said for every video game out there.

Another problem with eSports is its longevity and accessibility. Being good at a game like Overwatch not only requires that you spend countless hours practicing, but it's also heavily dependent on how long the online servers stay up. Even older games like Super Smash Bros. Melee are dependent on owning specific hardware, that degrades over time, or setting up emulators. That's even if they are allowed to compete on the first place, as they are frequently hit with cease and desits. It's just too turbulent for it to be any more than a niche.
DreamWindowDec 7, 2022 5:18 AM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Dec 7, 2022 4:01 AM

Nov 2020
I just want every sport to have a section that allows any drug/enhancement to be used. Playing footbal on cocaine? Sure. You want to run 100 meters while on speed? Go ahead. Using crack while throwing javelins? Good luck I guess, just let me know so I can move as far away as possible
Dec 7, 2022 4:04 AM
Jul 2018
In other words, gamers are going to become more common... I think I'm gonna vomit... 🤮
Dec 7, 2022 4:27 AM

Jul 2009
I think this conflates two issues because taking testosterone isn't about gene editing. The body will just revert back without the drug.

You could also provide gene testing to athletes and create another division for them if the advantages are abnormal, but testing for gene corrections might be a problem if they're hard to distinguish from birth/developed defects.

Secondly, you'd be creating a caste of people built for certain jobs if gene editing becomes about being enhancive.

Thirdly, DNA science is becoming a worthwhile endeavor because of animal inbreeding, environmental problems and cloning, so somewhere in the future we might just force animals to adapt to our environment instead of their natural capacity to evolve.

Fourthly, we're still seeing an upward trend of population height, intelligence and world record athletes. So apart from drugs, there's no obvious motivation to mess with human genes.
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
🌳                             🌳
🌳     🐝           🦝       🌲   🌳 
🌳      Cursor Nature reserve           🌳
🌳        🦋        🦩     🐕    🌳
🌳                              🌳
🌳      🐐        🌲       🐧    🌳
🌳                              🌳
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
Dec 7, 2022 5:01 AM

Mar 2008
Nothing is guaranteed. For example you always can ad handicaps to players like force them to carry heavy weights on their body for example and some sports are theatrics like what most people think of when they hear “wrestling” not the Olympic kind but the smash chairs over someone’s head kind so top ability becomes irrelevant because it can be primarily about putting on a show. So there is totally different ways things can play out. Also when it comes to to so called esports they easily could become more like actual sports with VR/AR/XR becoming more common over time which means you could be getting esports and sports become one in the same. Also there isn’t really a reason for you to assume you can’t control reaction speeds with genetic editing and/or technological implants.
Dec 7, 2022 5:51 AM
Jul 2021
All of this scenarios are fine and dandy, but whos to say that we're going to be here in 100 years? Much less 50?

We might nuke ourself before anything of what OP's is talking about takes place.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Dec 7, 2022 6:07 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
The thing is esports are much more boring to see compared to traditional sports. I really ain't fan of seeing other people I don't know playing a video game.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 7, 2022 10:36 AM

Aug 2022
Can't you use genetic editing to get better at Video Games?

I mean if you watch those Age of Empires 2 videos where they compete for 2000 bucks they are performing at least 9000000000000 keys per minute and have to time EVERYTHING perfectly.

You could edit their brain for higher IQ or give them better control of their hands...higher dexterity.
Dec 7, 2022 10:42 AM

Sep 2018
vdh said:
In other words, gamers are going to become more common... I think I'm gonna vomit... 🤮

Pretty much happening since the 80s. Very rare to find anyone who does not play any videogames nowadays in 1st world countries.
Dec 7, 2022 10:44 AM

May 2013
vdh said:

Ikr, I hate the commodification of nerd shit. You are taking the previous social outcasts and instead selling the identity of it because big companies realized that obsessive nerds tend to spend alot of money on useless bullshit.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Dec 7, 2022 10:47 AM

Sep 2018
I think sports is more so a proxy males use to pick up women than actually enjoy the game in most cases from what I seen in school. I do notice that interest in sports has declined over time as technology offers far more pastime options. I doubt sports will ever stop existing, but it will continue to get more niche especially as they continue going woke on stuff like espn.
Dec 7, 2022 11:15 AM

Dec 2015
deg said:
i just finished watching this video and it makes so much sense i agree with it https://youtu.be/cZ9YAFYIBOU

sports are never about fairness since athletes are freak of natures or they have abnormal biology so what happens if genetic editing becomes mainstream is that still gonna be entertaining to watch when those who have the advance technology and huge amount of money can win any sports?

so thoughts? so like the video says esports is more likely to be the future of sports instead because esports are less about abnormal physical abilities but reaction times and doping can be easily tested if someone is doing it too ye sure genetic editing can improve reaction times too but i think that is easy to control and tested for esports

Depends on what kind of sports we're talking about. So far I've heard it only from hmmm Athletes and I guess that's it? Didn't hear it in any more known sports or at least something was not that viral for Football, Basketball or stuff like that.

You know stuff like "Rules" are created in sports especially when we speak about the profiesionally international levels where you are controlled, imagine someone with a leg add-ons joins the Football match, he would be caught up instantly and been disqualified from World Cups or Euro etc., same would go for Basketball and the others sports.

Physique abnormality is mainly for Gym and Athlethes, never saw someone going with abnormality in Football, Calcio Storico, Golf, Basketball, Volleyball etc.

So far the only sports I am most interested is buhurt and that is not the sport for which you'd like to make "technology" as it will be chipped/ripped/cut off by an halberd or cleaver clean hit, in that sport you want a good armour not technology as it won't make you better at least I don't see it there.

Esports is way easier to cheat on and use "technology" for cheating than real sports, for real sports you have blood tests or anyother stuff to check if you're shady with it, with e-sports let's be honest there were already cases of banning and disqualification in some numbers for using aim assistants, wallhacks, cheats being inside the mouse/keyboard programs to avoid detection etc. So far it seems that e-sports is an easier target for money and technological ways of cheating than any genetics to improve in real sports let's be real here.

[I wouldn't be surprised if the similar question but considering the "new ideas" and new armours instead of genetics/money/trans stuff were asked already in Ancient Rome when they were watching Gladiators, Fist Fights, Quadriges or any other sports, you think they didn't try to do shady stuff back than? To make it easier to win. There is a reason why some specific techniques of punches/places on body are forbidden in nowadays sports, as it was used back than or even earlier to make it easier and heavly hurt or even kill the opponent]

Reject Modernity Embrace Medievality:

Alot of sport are about fairness you just don't look in a good direction. There are 2 types of sports people, those who compete for money [they will win at all cost] and those who compete mainly for respect, fun, reputation and a good fair rivalry [they will avoid shady/freak or other stuff to avoid/break the rules for winning]

For the next time I would recommend to check also for these type of videos, I am used for doing martial combat sports at full-contact such as Buhurt and Aikido and a little bit of other sports which also has a huge discipline it isn't rare to see someone respect the other and help the opponent when they need it or are hurt, to even stop the fight or replace it for another day because of sudden injury, to locate/repair a dislocated joint [happened to me actually], in buhurt before the fight and especially after the fights it isn't rare to see people hugging each other and complemeting/commenting the fights moves mistakes good decisions etc.:
ZettaikenDec 7, 2022 11:24 AM
Dec 7, 2022 11:18 AM
Dec 2022
deg said:

Deg you are always a dissapointment, because you give off the aura of a mildly intelligent person but have the reasoning and logical skills of a middle schooler.
Please stop it with the bullshit psuedo science.

Yes genetic engineering is on the market and has been there for a while.
But just because cheating is possible it doesn't mean people do it.

In sports, even when it's about millions of dollars at stake, people choose to not cheat, there are plenty of legal moves in soccer, football, strongman, powerlifting and even rugby which are considered for ''pussies'' and thus athletes avoid doing them even if costs them losing, even at the cost of not winning huge amounts of money and fame.

one easy example: Sumo deadlifting is considered gay and for pussies because it is biomechanically easier even though some sumo deadlifters go as far as to make hours long videos defending it.

only low level athletes use it to compesate for their light bodyweight and short stature, high level athletes avoid sumo at all costs because the shame is too heavy.

a fat nerd like you couldn't never understand such things.
deg_pls_stopDec 7, 2022 12:14 PM
Dec 7, 2022 11:23 AM
Dec 2022
Zettaiken said:
deg said:

Depends on what kind of sports we're talking about. So far I've heard it only from hmmm Athletes and I guess that's it? Didn't hear it in any more known sports or at least something was not that viral for Football, Basketball or stuff like that.

You know stuff like "Rules" are created in sports especially when we speak about the profiesionally international levels where you are controlled, imagine someone with a leg add-ons joins the Football match, he would be caught up instantly and been disqualified from World Cups or Euro etc., same would go for Basketball and the others sports.

Physique abnormality is mainly for Gym and Athlethes, never saw someone going with abnormality in Football, Calcio Storico, Golf, Basketball, Volleyball etc.

So far the only sports I am most interested is buhurt and that is not the sport for which you'd like to make "technology" as it will be chipped/ripped/cut off by an halberd or cleaver clean hit, in that sport you want a good armour not technology as it won't make you better at least I don't see it there.

Esports is way easier to cheat on and use "technology" for cheating than real sports, for real sports you have blood tests or anyother stuff to check if you're shady with it, with e-sports let's be honest there were already cases of banning and disqualification in some numbers for using aim assistants, wallhacks, cheats being inside the mouse/keyboard programs to avoid detection etc. So far it seems that e-sports is an easier target for money and technological ways of cheating than any genetics to improve in real sports let's be real here.

thinkpad said:
I think this conflates two issues because taking testosterone isn't about gene editing. The body will just revert back without the drug.

You could also provide gene testing to athletes and create another division for them if the advantages are abnormal, but testing for gene corrections might be a problem if they're hard to distinguish from birth/developed defects.

Secondly, you'd be creating a caste of people built for certain jobs if gene editing becomes about being enhancive.

Thirdly, DNA science is becoming a worthwhile endeavor because of animal inbreeding, environmental problems and cloning, so somewhere in the future we might just force animals to adapt to our environment instead of their natural capacity to evolve.

Fourthly, we're still seeing an upward trend of population height, intelligence and world record athletes. So apart from drugs, there's no obvious motivation to mess with human genes.
thinkpad said:

DNA naturally changes and mutates as you age, gene editing is accomplished through viruses injected into your body, normal viruses, any virus really also modifies your DNA.

You die with a different DNA than the one your were born with, therefore it's unlikely that ''gene testing'' before competitions will be of any use.
Dec 7, 2022 11:27 AM
Dec 2022
also drugs are cheaper, and technically safer than gene editing.

not because of the bullshit idiots say about ''blah blah we don't know yet the human body'' no, the human dna ain't no mistery, this is 2022 not 1960

it's just easier to manufacture, drugs are faster and can be stopped at any moment.

whilist it may take from 7 months up to 6 years to modify your genes to be a better athlete, drugs have instantenous effects, with drugs you are able to see instantly the good effects and also the bad effects.

whilist gene editing may take half a decade to show the symptoms of something that may kill you, and when you notice it's too late.
deg_pls_stopDec 7, 2022 12:17 PM
Dec 7, 2022 5:42 PM

Dec 2022
deg_pls_stop said:
deg said:

Deg you are always a dissapointment, because you give off the aura of a mildly intelligent person but have the reasoning and logical skills of a middle schooler.
Please stop it with the bullshit psuedo science.

Yes genetic engineering is on the market and has been there for a while.
But just because cheating is possible it doesn't mean people do it.

In sports, even when it's about millions of dollars at stake, people choose to not cheat, there are plenty of legal moves in soccer, football, strongman, powerlifting and even rugby which are considered for ''pussies'' and thus athletes avoid doing them even if costs them losing, even at the cost of not winning huge amounts of money and fame.

one easy example: Sumo deadlifting is considered gay and for pussies because it is biomechanically easier even though some sumo deadlifters go as far as to make hours long videos defending it.

only low level athletes use it to compesate for their light bodyweight and short stature, high level athletes avoid sumo at all costs because the shame is too heavy.

a fat nerd like you couldn't never understand such things.
Dont worry that is a fake deg he is an imposter. But kokomi you need to chill more like the real DEG remember mal is just a phone game bro stop losing your chill over it. But forget this stupid phone game and the idiots on it and lets go play a fun phone game. Hey Kokomi its almost time for the holidays which means days off which means lots of time to do whatever. Me and my cousins are probably gonna spend some of that time playing mobile legends bang bang, you should join us too, we almost have 10 people we can do full custom 5v5s
My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
Dec 8, 2022 12:07 PM

Mar 2015
Damn this is such a hot topic someone made an alt to shit on deg.

Anyways I don't think this will happen since real sports are way more popular than esports. Football is so massive I don't see it losing to esports in terms of popularity anytime soon. Even is we all turn into Messi a lot of people enjoy watching football more than playing it anyway so I'm not sure it would have much of an effect...
Dec 8, 2022 12:12 PM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
They are not becoming obsolete, they are just evolving.
Sports are fundamentally about best competing against the best pushing the limits advancement of technology doesn't change that.

Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Dec 8, 2022 1:07 PM

Nov 2013
people who don't even give a shit about football will still tune in for the world cup, esp the final

people who don't give a shit about esports have no clue what is going on in that industry, fan like to cope and pretend it's super mainstream but it's not even regularly on TV, if at all. not reaching the super normies easily will mean it never overtakes traditional sports. it can, at most, find its place alongside traditional sports (asian games for example) in a small way

traditional sports have been in our culture for centuries, let's be real, some of the biggest esports scenes have almost come and gone in the space of a decade, starcraft 2 for example is gasping its last breath as we speak. esports is tied to particular games which have a shelf life - the developer won't maintain them forever, whereas traditional sports can go on endlessly with governing bodies and huge broadcasting deals. this ultimately has nothing to do with physical abilities, it's exposure, culture/tradition. esports has neither of them in abundance really. it is difficult to build the esports long term because the foundations are constantly falling down - game developers ultimately move on or end up destroying their own games
SadDec 8, 2022 1:10 PM
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 9, 2022 3:51 AM

Mar 2008
_Nette_ said:
vdh said:

Ikr, I hate the commodification of nerd shit. You are taking the previous social outcasts and instead selling the identity of it because big companies realized that obsessive nerds tend to spend alot of money on useless bullshit.

Eh it’s more like being a nerd isnt even a thing anymore. Being a nerd meant having interests that isolate and alienate you but the internet made that go away because it’s easy for people to meet up nowadays and that made them in turn less stigmatized which naturally eventually would have drawn in more people who are more exposed to these things because the internet even without companies pushing for it. So would have happened eventually I think but likely more naturally.
Dec 10, 2022 1:56 AM

Jan 2017
kuroava said:
lol esports, its not a sport, you will basically end up looking like that fat fuck from a south park episode. you didnt do sports or your parents didnt forced you to do it when you were a kid? youre forever fucked, theres no "esports" lol
As someone who played CSGO professionally [and also has experience with tons of other sports from tennis, soccer, wing chun etc] the general dynamics of something like CSGO and a traditional sport are nearly identical.

Every emotion associated with teams is 1to1 with regular sports, envy, team drama, training, replacements, stand ins you name it and esports has it [at least in csgo's case].

Overall match meta and outside media narrative is also the same, rivalries, upsets, teams collapsing you name it

And from a purely technical level the amount of teamwork, execution of strats and raw player skill easily surpasses something like tennis for example and while sure in csgo's case it doesn't come close to football or soccer due to the different amount of players the core complexity of strategies and how games can go is just as complex [when you actually get to an intermediate in csgo you will have memorized 50+ smokes/molotovs/flashes on all maps and you will be executing them on the very second of the call and with pin-point accuracy and utilizing them constantly even after initial pushes.

I don't have any experience with MOBA's or most other "esports" but CSGO stands on it's own as a true equal to modern physical sports [and no valorant is a crude csgo knock off and I wouldn't class as an equal in any form, fuck valorant].

For OP genetic modification is a buzzword and a pipe dream for the near future and the same people who believe that is somehow going to be a thing are the people who think sentient AI are actually possible in the next century [they aren't] or that quantum computers are somehow going replace modern computers in the next century [they aren't] so no, regular sports aren't going away and if anything unless we see another great competitive game like CSGO I wouldn't be surprised if flat screen esports declines [VR esports on the other hand remains to be seen].

And obviously physical supplements can augment esports so you have just as much of a chance of someone doing something as you would with regular sports [although this isn't common].
Dec 10, 2022 2:05 AM

Jun 2011
I don't know anyone who cares about esports while I know tons of people who care about real sports. I don't care about either one but esports are definitely more cringy, I don't see them catching on.

It doesn't help that the most popular esports games are also some of the worst games on the planet.
Dec 10, 2022 5:04 AM

Jul 2015
I love some of the comments

"Nobody understands shit to esports while everybody understands soccer intuitively" - someone who never tried to explain offside rules to a newbie.
Dec 10, 2022 8:45 AM

Jun 2022
Agelastus said:
I just want every sport to have a section that allows any drug/enhancement to be used. Playing footbal on cocaine? Sure. You want to run 100 meters while on speed? Go ahead. Using crack while throwing javelins? Good luck I guess, just let me know so I can move as far away as possible
at last someone has come up with an idea that would actually make me start watching sports
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
Dec 10, 2022 2:07 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
traed said:
_Nette_ said:

Eh it’s more like being a nerd isnt even a thing anymore. Being a nerd meant having interests that isolate and alienate you but the internet made that go away because it’s easy for people to meet up nowadays and that made them in turn less stigmatized which naturally eventually would have drawn in more people who are more exposed to these things because the internet even without companies pushing for it. So would have happened eventually I think but likely more naturally.

"Nerd" culture has primarily been replaced with "hipster" culture at this point. There's a lot of superficiality and it doesn't really feel like genuine interest most of the time. Take retro gaming, for instance. Highly doubt any of the people who buy up all the "retro gaming" merch would not be willing to go out and actually buy old hardware to play on.

Deathko said:

"Nobody understands shit to esports while everybody understands soccer intuitively" - someone who never tried to explain offside rules to a newbie.

Alright, well try explaining wavedashing, dodge cancelling, L-cancelling, and the numerous other advanced moves, to newbies of Super Smash Bros, and a match will still look like an incomprehensible anime battle. Now, try explaining all of those little intricacies, on every new game that comes out. One is clearly more approachable than the other.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Dec 10, 2022 2:18 PM

Jul 2015
StarfireDragon said:
traed said:

"Nerd" culture has primarily been replaced with "hipster" culture at this point. There's a lot of superficiality and it doesn't really feel like genuine interest most of the time. Take retro gaming, for instance. Highly doubt any of the people who buy up all the "retro gaming" merch would not be willing to go out and actually buy old hardware to play on.

Deathko said:

Alright, well try explaining wavedashing, dodge cancelling, L-cancelling, and the numerous other advanced moves, to newbies of Super Smash Bros, and a match will still look like an incomprehensible anime battle. Now, try explaining all of those little intricacies, on every new game that comes out. One is clearly more approachable than the other.

You managed to pick the most esoteric competitive game out there (maybe will LoL, but that one writes everything, it's just 200 champions to learn by heart which sucks and definitely gatekeeps). Even SF is much lighter on hidden technical bullshit to learn. Note how all three games have a roster of characters instead of putting players on an equal foot.
If I had to explain CS or Q3 to a newbie before watching a match, it'd take 15s lol. "Walking makes you silent and more accurate" "you can rocket jump" bam done.

And even with more complex games like SF... Nobody needs to know the rules to understand this shit is fire: (loud, I warned you if you use headphones, that crowd is melting)

I never get tired of watching The Beast waking up with 5% of his lifebar left lol.
DeathkoDec 10, 2022 2:25 PM
Dec 10, 2022 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
Isn't E-sports when those Koreans with pimples play Overwatch and similar nonsense?

In any case, I find it more interesting to stare at the ceiling than watch or even care about any Sports.

Dec 10, 2022 3:21 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@deg
so can I flop and abuse the refs like Lemouse on NBA 2k54 and get Mickey mouse rings as a reward ?

Dec 10, 2022 3:28 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
BJuice said:
Isn't E-sports when those Koreans with pimples play Overwatch and similar nonsense?

In any case, I find it more interesting to stare at the ceiling than watch or even care about any Sports.

Koreans don't have pimples for more than an hour..

When they do, they take couple of steps outside their house and boom a bunch of plastic surgeons vending in the street for the lowest price..
They then slash the pimples of batusai style and use sand papers to scrape everything from the face.. Then use melanin reducing injections so they have zero melanin cells.. And then booom k-pop contract and white girl fans from the west sending nudes in Instagram dm

Dec 10, 2022 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
ryo-san said:
BJuice said:

Koreans don't have pimples for more than an hour.

When they do, they take a couple of steps outside their house and boom a bunch of plastic surgeons vending in the street for the lowest price.
They then slash the pimples of Battousai style and use sand papers to scrape everything from the face. Then use melanin-reducing injections so they have zero melanin cells. And then boom k-pop contract and white girl fans from the west sending nudes in Instagram dm

Sounds like South Korea has a totalitarian regime...

...well at least I know that I'll never go there anyway.
Dec 10, 2022 4:12 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
@Deathko I mean, fair, I guess the technicalities don't matter as much, if the spectacle would be the main appeal. Some games are definitely more suited to that environment than others. I still don't see it overtaking regular sports any time soon. Maybe it will become more prominent, though.

Dec 11, 2022 3:33 AM

Jan 2017
kuroava said:
Cneq said:
As someone who played CSGO professionally [and also has experience with tons of other sports from tennis, soccer, wing chun etc] the general dynamics of something like CSGO and a traditional sport are nearly identical.

Every emotion associated with teams is 1to1 with regular sports, envy, team drama, training, replacements, stand ins you name it and esports has it [at least in csgo's case].

Overall match meta and outside media narrative is also the same, rivalries, upsets, teams collapsing you name it

And from a purely technical level the amount of teamwork, execution of strats and raw player skill easily surpasses something like tennis for example and while sure in csgo's case it doesn't come close to football or soccer due to the different amount of players the core complexity of strategies and how games can go is just as complex [when you actually get to an intermediate in csgo you will have memorized 50+ smokes/molotovs/flashes on all maps and you will be executing them on the very second of the call and with pin-point accuracy and utilizing them constantly even after initial pushes.

I don't have any experience with MOBA's or most other "esports" but CSGO stands on it's own as a true equal to modern physical sports [and no valorant is a crude csgo knock off and I wouldn't class as an equal in any form, fuck valorant].

For OP genetic modification is a buzzword and a pipe dream for the near future and the same people who believe that is somehow going to be a thing are the people who think sentient AI are actually possible in the next century [they aren't] or that quantum computers are somehow going replace modern computers in the next century [they aren't] so no, regular sports aren't going away and if anything unless we see another great competitive game like CSGO I wouldn't be surprised if flat screen esports declines [VR esports on the other hand remains to be seen].

And obviously physical supplements can augment esports so you have just as much of a chance of someone doing something as you would with regular sports [although this isn't common].

yeah i know gaming involves reflexes and coordination but thats not the point, it is just this, gaming, its not a sport, if someone asks if you do any sport youre not gonna answer that you spend hours sitting in front of a computer screen or a tv playing games, its not an "esport", it is just this, youre not doing any "esport".
I mean in most cases that is true but not in the case of CSGO. Perception of what an "esport" actually is has a bed reputation with so many games being called "esports" despite hardly even qualifying [heck just look at the absolute joke that is fortnite "esports" lmao].

If there were more proper esports like CSGO and public perception actually changed to reflect that then it wouldn't be a stretch to view esports as being directly equal to sports. Of course we've yet to see any true VR esports [besides Vail's attempts] I wouldn't be surprised if in the next one or two decades proper VR esports come around and thus further bridges that gap of becoming a true sport since it's 100% linked to physical movement.
Dec 11, 2022 5:26 AM

Dec 2018
While I think esports will get more popular, I feel that they’ll always be a niche compared to traditional sports. In traditional sports there's a much stronger competitive culture, one in which kids partake and grow up in. Outside of smallish communities in specific games, there's much less of a competitive culture in video games. The only way to make esports reach the heights of traditional sports is to replicate that culture within games, and to be frank many including myself would rather not see that change come to light.
Dec 11, 2022 6:17 AM

May 2021
Cneq said:

See Cneq, I agree with you sometimes, this is the adequate reply to this thread

More topics from this board

» Anyone had a Drought Emergancy declared for their area?

vasipi4946 - 19 minutes ago

2 by Zettaiken »»
1 minute ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 4 hours ago

16 by logopolis »»
2 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

32 by LoveLikeBlood »»
8 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Apr 17

36 by Firwik_Howlo »»
13 minutes ago

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 48 minutes ago

3 by LightWorker »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.