Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most controversial anime of all time?

New
Dec 6, 2022 2:48 PM
Oct 2017
Among the anime that have become famous mainly for being hate watched, which one do you think is the most controversial?
Dec 6, 2022 2:59 PM

Nov 2008
Kodomo no Jikan is the most controversial anime in the world, not even Yosuga no Sora comes close and that led to Bill 156. Neither are hate watched though.

Dec 6, 2022 3:03 PM

Sep 2018
New: Mushoku Tensei for the cunny fan Mc.
Older: Kokomo no Jikan and Eromanga Sensei. Oreimo 4th

Boku no Pico was never controversial as it was and remains a meme. Also it is not anime.
Dec 6, 2022 3:19 PM

May 2015
Lol makes a list of the most "controversial" anime of All Time and leaves out Genocyber, Kite, and Elfin Lied
Dec 6, 2022 3:26 PM

Jun 2016
Gundam ZZ. Or Victory Gundam. Or G Gundam. Or Gundam F91.
This franchise is full of those things.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 6, 2022 3:30 PM

Jul 2010
Redo of Healer, don't know why I even watched it till the end, probably because everyone was making fun of it on the net.
Dec 6, 2022 3:35 PM

May 2019
Other: Kodomo no Jikan is the precursor to Shoujo Ramune.
Dec 6, 2022 3:39 PM

Oct 2010
no anime in that list made the fans try to kill the director so I guess it's Evangelion.
CatalanoDec 6, 2022 3:58 PM
Dec 6, 2022 4:03 PM

Feb 2020
redo of healer or kodomo no jikan sounds good for the spot of most controversial and also for the spot of hottest animes of all time
by the way did you know theres a hentai visual novel for kodomo no jikan? (ナイショのじかん) not something most people would know lol
man i gotta play the yosuga no sora vn some time
also i feel like all of these listed anime are fine, only the normiest loser would be upset by em

Dec 6, 2022 4:05 PM

Jan 2022
Back when I first got into anime the most controversial was probably this series...

followed by...

No telling what is OVER THE TOP in the modern era. At least not to me, anyhow. I simply can't keep up with everything.
Dec 6, 2022 4:10 PM

Aug 2019
I'm surprised that "Attack on Titan" isn't an option.
Dec 6, 2022 4:12 PM

Oct 2013
One piece, just look at the hourglass looking body the girls have.
Dec 6, 2022 4:17 PM

Feb 2021
Rising of the Shield Hero or Redo of Healer.
Dec 6, 2022 4:32 PM

Jul 2017
Kodomo no Jikan, has to be. So I voted "other".
Dec 6, 2022 5:15 PM

Feb 2014
My vote goes for Koi Kaze. I rarelly hear people say much about the morality of Kodomo no Jikan, Koi Kaze is more serious and dramatic, while KnJ still contains comedic/ecchi moments, and even some not very realistic aspects, the biggest one being that no 9 year old behaves like Rin.
Dec 6, 2022 5:28 PM

Jun 2016
The fact that nobody has said Boku no Pico when it’s that one anime known as bad even tho most of us never watched it.
Dec 6, 2022 5:51 PM

Oct 2019
tbh none of these.

shows like godzilla sp ARE WAY MORE split in terms of people thinking they are good or bad.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 6, 2022 5:53 PM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
Apolygon2 said:
tbh none of these.

shows like godzilla sp ARE WAY MORE split in terms of people thinking they are good or bad.

Godzilla SP deserves a far worse MAL rating.
𝙊𝙣𝙚 𝙋𝙞𝙚𝙘𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙨 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙚. - 𝙕𝙖𝙘𝙝
Dec 6, 2022 5:55 PM

Oct 2019
ThePrinceOfAcid said:
Apolygon2 said:
tbh none of these.

see this is proof.

I think it's extremely underrated, this guy absolutely hates it

Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 6, 2022 5:59 PM

Jul 2019
Apolygon2 said:
ThePrinceOfAcid said:

see this is proof.

I think it's extremely underrated, this guy absolutely hates it

I mean, if comes to controversy of controversial, I think it should go outside of MAL. Like any anime that cause mainstream media controversy.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Dec 6, 2022 6:13 PM
Jul 2021
This poll was made by a youngling without any knowledge of anime, and same goes for many of the voters.

Redo of a Healer with 17 votes. 😂

Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Dec 6, 2022 6:27 PM

Oct 2011
People are thinking rape and sexual activities with lolis are really controversial, that's just normal anime stuff, but the real controversies are dumb crap like white/black washing characters in a live adaptation of anime like with Death Note and Ghost in the shell, fighting over how good or not one piece is and if it's worth watching 1k+ episodes or if it's just too long, bad pacing, and if FMAB should be dethroned for good or not as the #1 anime of all time on sites like this.
Dec 6, 2022 6:29 PM

Mar 2019
"Minna Agechau" was under rampant criticism when the US home release was coming out, so much so that the media coverage vanquished the US home release in it's entirety. The controversy regarding the anime was for its apparent graphic content, which ironically was quite tame even when compared to other works released in the US at the same time.

Maybe not the most controversial anime of all time, but this came to mind while thinking about this topic.
KumiveneellaDec 6, 2022 8:21 PM
Dec 6, 2022 6:46 PM

Apr 2020
I sat through other anime I've started. I couldn't for redo of a healer
Dec 6, 2022 7:08 PM

Jun 2022
Shoujo Tsubaki, without a doubt, has to be the most controversial.

Next I would say it is Koroshiya 1 (more well known as Ichi the Killer), then Pico x Chico x Coco (which I argue is worse than the original Boku no Pico, though I have seen none of the trilogy).

Honorable mentions are Bible Black and A Kite (of which I have only seen A Kite in its censored form).
Dec 6, 2022 7:51 PM

Mar 2021
If we are talking about Anime that actually was a problem and actually created controversy and public uproar in Japan, it would have to be "Miss Machiko".

I even remember this Anime slightly when I was living in japan for a year as a child and my father was watching this air on TV there. The reason why this Anime had so much controversy was because it was actually airing on a national TV station during prime-time hours in Japan. This Anime basically centered around a young teacher who is constantly sexually harassed, sexually humiliated, and sexually molested consistently by her underage students all for the sake of humor. Many Japanese parents during this time demanded for the show to be completely removed from airing. I think this lead to the show being shifted off it's original prime-time time-slot. Either way this was probably the 1st time ever where the people of Japan actually protested an Anime that aired on TV to actually be removed from the airwaves. Considering all Anime is basically being produced for Japanese Audiences in the 1st place.
ColourWheelDec 6, 2022 8:01 PM
Dec 6, 2022 8:08 PM

Jan 2022
ColourWheel said:
If we are talking about Anime that actually was a problem and actually created controversy and public uproar in Japan, it would have to be "Miss Machiko".

I even remember this Anime slightly when I was living in japan for a year as a child and my father was watching this air on TV there. The reason why this Anime had so much controversy was because it was actually airing on a national TV station during prime-time hours in Japan. This Anime basically centered around a young teacher who is constantly sexually harassed, sexually humiliated, and sexually molested consistently by her underage students all for the sake of humor. Many Japanese parents during this time demanded for the show to be completely removed from airing. I think this lead to the show being shifted off it's original prime-time time-slot. Either way this was probably the 1st time ever where the people of Japan actually protested an Anime that aired on TV to actually be removed from the airwaves. Considering all Anime is basically being produced for Japanese Audiences in the 1st place.

...and now I want to see this. *LOL* Never heard of such an anime.

Dec 6, 2022 8:10 PM

Jun 2019
Punkero said:
My vote goes for Koi Kaze. I rarelly hear people say much about the morality of Kodomo no Jikan, Koi Kaze is more serious and dramatic, while KnJ still contains comedic/ecchi moments, and even some not very realistic aspects, the biggest one being that no 9 year old behaves like Rin.

It probably would be if it were more known generally nowadays or if it were ever released nowadays instead of 2004. Sadly, on the latter point, I couldn't see it being released nowadays. At least, not in the way that it was and being even close to the same series. There would be a lot more pressure to either water it down by including some inbuilt disclaimer with the writers/creators distancing themselves from the work before it was even finished releasing, or to include a lot more pandering elements to intentionally distract and detract from the raw intensity of it, for the same purpose of also watering it down, or some combination of the two.

Which seems crazy on the face of it considering the fact that 2004 is not some ancient removed era of time.
WatchTillTandavaDec 6, 2022 8:14 PM
Dec 6, 2022 8:56 PM

Mar 2021
Grendizer_ said:
ColourWheel said:

...and now I want to see this. *LOL* Never heard of such an anime.

Not very many people have heard of this Anime before because likely over 99% of the users on MAL were still in their fathers nut sack. Even today most Japanese are more familiar with live action adaptation films of "Miss Machiko" produced in the early 2000s better than the actual Anime.

Honestly "Miss Machiko" isn't that great and it's a bit mundane compared to all these other Anime titles users have been posting about on here. But the actual Anime adaptation of "Miss Machiko" actually caused a real problem in Japan during the early 80s.
Dec 6, 2022 9:55 PM

Feb 2020
I'm not sure, but Mushoku Tensei is the first one that came to my mind.
Dec 7, 2022 12:13 AM

Oct 2008
I voted Domestic na Kanojo.

Redo of Healer comes close, but Domestic na Kanojo is a collection of so many things (infidelity, student/teacher relationship, step siblings sex, sleeping around with classmates, self harm, attempted suicide, love triangle and I'm not even mentioning some of the content featured in the manga).
Dec 7, 2022 5:59 AM

Oct 2022
rohan121 said:
New: Mushoku Tensei for the cunny fan Mc.
Older: Kokomo no Jikan and Eromanga Sensei. Oreimo 4th

Boku no Pico was never controversial as it was and remains a meme. Also it is not anime.

Hentai is anime.

I agree Boku no Pico isn't really controversial, though. I don't see people going down in a blaze of glory trying to defend it lol. When I hear "controversial anime," I think of series with both dedicated fans & haters.
Feb 26, 2023 7:19 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Death note

Banned first in China (and recently- Russia of all places) for its explicit and dark themes, Death Note definitely is a no go zone in many countries, and understandably so. , lots of schools also forbid mention of this anime on campus. Some school like religious institutions linked this to summoning of death.

Yu-Gi-Oh

Several schools worldwide have banned their students from bringing Yu-Gi-Oh cards on campus, stating that the card game is "malicious and promotes meddling in the occult". there are lots of religious groups who claim that the anime has more sinister roots like demon worshipping

For those who have watched the rest of the anime goblin slayer, the significance of such acts as rape by the goblins is also made known by the end of the first episode , implying that this is activity that the goblins regularly engage in. Goblin Slayer is a prime example of the fact that just because you don't show something horrible on screen doesn't make it any less worse

Feb 27, 2023 12:00 PM

Mar 2021
Chatted with a friend few years ago and her favorite anime was Goblin slayer, overall I think it is a controversial anime but it was fun watching it lol 
Feb 27, 2023 9:19 PM

Mar 2021
Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series final episode
End of Evangelion
Episode 33 of Revolutionary Girl Utena

Feb 28, 2023 3:16 AM

Dec 2013
I don't think Redo of Healer belongs here. Not trying to be mean or anything. Just Goblin Slayer, Ishizoku Reviewers and Shuumatsu no Harem are all similar enough, that neither stands out among the others.
Instead Panty and Stocking, Heion Sedai no Idaten Tachi and maybe Higehiro (I loved all of these by the way).

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

73 by Abomination_suah »»
4 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 7 hours ago

15 by juanlqr »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

27 by juanlqr »»
11 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

14 by iiKonata »»
13 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

91 by LeonhartAugust »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.