Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 5, 2010 8:24 AM

Nov 2008
Adachi has now crossed the border of simply writing manga for money. The first volume of Cross Game is ripped off entirely from Touch. From the death of a childhood crush to the male lead taking up baseball seriously because of the death. Instead of two guys fighting for one girl, it's two girls fighting for one guy. Not only that, Adachi drew every character the EXACT same way. From the ugly, big guy who has a crush on one of main female characters to the almost the same drawings of the parents who are both neighbors and their kids somehow fall in love.

I think Adachi is either projecting his fantasy of being in love with the girl next door or he simply wrote this manga just to make money.

This is not just a one time occurrence. He did it also with Rough. He ripped off the characters from H2 and made them swim instead of play baseball.

Pathetic.

Edit:

My harsh preview might sound like I disliked this manga but it's quite the opposite. Adachi's manga is just like porridge in Goldilocks and The Three Bears. H2 was too hot, Touch was too mushy and sweet but Cross Game was just right in terms of the romantic relationships.

However, Adachi's arrogance is clearly displayed in his manga. Like Rough, he continues to plaster ads of his other manga through references or dialogue by Cross Game characters. It's such a pity when a mangaka forgets to deliver a fun romance/sports package and delivers his manga ego. It would have been tolerable if his manga didn't require a vested interest due to the their long runs (17 volumes+).

I wanted to give this a 6/10 for having a heavily flawed plot that was ripped off his previous works. However, I will settle it with a 7 since I enjoyed the male lead this time around unlike in Adachi's previous works, the lead would always be shafted for another male competitor in terms of romance.

7/10 (Enjoyable read despite the plot holes, repetitive puns and unoriginality.)
arimakenshinMay 5, 2010 7:52 PM
Jul 26, 2010 6:47 PM
Feb 2010
Enjoyed reading this. Nice analogy.
Aug 19, 2013 6:27 PM

Jan 2008
Well it might be true that when it comes to Adachi you can truly enjoy the first manga you read from him because all his manga has practically the same setting. It is also true that the story is extremely predictable in every one of his mangas.

Note: in literature when two works are really similar you try to identify differences and decide whether the other work has improved or more contemporary.

But then again you do not read Adachi for the story, but for the pure enjoyment. His writing and style is really good and that alone makes him one of the best mangakas.
Aug 20, 2013 7:06 PM
Jul 2012
lol nice 3 year necro but I would say

H2>Cross Game>Touch>Katsu>Miyuki>Rough from what I completed of his so far.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cross Game Chapter 170 Discussion

Laevantein - Feb 15, 2010

41 by TitanInsane »»
Apr 11, 8:55 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Chapter 153 Discussion

Ishmael - Aug 11, 2009

3 by Zooincle »»
Oct 6, 2023 2:22 PM

» Question before starting to read the manga

Kushna - Oct 3, 2023

3 by zckfox »»
Oct 3, 2023 8:34 AM

» Cross Game volumes

raabyray - Oct 25, 2021

0 by raabyray »»
Oct 25, 2021 1:13 PM

» Final chapter?

NotDolphy - Nov 14, 2012

2 by alinadc »»
Jun 22, 2021 2:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.