Forum Settings
Forums

Which Anime Protagonist Character who would be better as a main antagonist?

New
Dec 2, 2022 11:49 PM

Jan 2019
Him/Her as a main protag didn't fit well and should become the main villian of the show

Mod edit: spelling
ZedlinDec 3, 2022 12:06 AM
Dec 2, 2022 11:56 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Gintoki Sakata.. Evil gintoki will be a treat to watch..
iruma - kun.. Kudo shinichi..

Dec 3, 2022 12:00 AM

Jul 2021
i'll pay to watch naruto become a villain, join akatsuki and fuck shit up.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 3, 2022 12:02 AM

Dec 2022
Eren yeager -The GOAT. he didn't fit well to be a protag, he was forced to become the antagonist of the series after kissing historia's hand.
He is the most well written, Complex character in all of fiction.
The only character in fiction who is protag and antagonist and still manages to achieve his goals.
ArmonggDec 3, 2022 12:06 AM
Dec 3, 2022 12:02 AM

Jul 2016
Makoto Itou, well I suppose he really is a villainous in the end...

(do you want me to edit the title to spell antagonist right?)

v No, problem just glad to help.
ZedlinDec 3, 2022 12:07 AM
Dec 3, 2022 12:04 AM

Jan 2019
Zedlin said:
Makoto Itou, well I suppose he really is a villainous in the end...

(do you want me to edit the title to spell antagonist right?)

sure haha I didn't notice my spelling is incorrect hahaThank you
Dec 3, 2022 12:29 AM

Sep 2021
how has there not been someone mentioning Light Yagami
Dec 3, 2022 12:37 AM

Dec 2022
Saiorno said:

Light yagami was Antagonist/villain of the series from the beginning.
Eren yeager solos.
Dec 3, 2022 12:38 AM

Sep 2021
Armongg said:
Saiorno said:

Light yagami was Antagonist/villain of the series from the beginning.
Eren yeager solos.

well, i guess thats fair enough

character limit

Dec 3, 2022 12:46 AM

May 2019
Vegeta if he didn't become good midway through the namek arc.
Dec 3, 2022 1:56 AM

Aug 2016
Just wanna clear up that there's a difference between an antagonist and a villain. You can still be considered a villain towards society, moral standards, or even yourself and still be the protagonist.
Anyway, maybe Lelouch idk.
Dec 3, 2022 2:08 AM

Dec 2015
Hmmmmm antagonis/villain hmm I guess these one would be good:
Sora - No Game No Life
Anos Voldigoad - Misfit of the demon lord...
Tatsuya Shiba - Irregular Highschool
Revy - Black Lagoon
Kusanagi Motoko - Gits
Kelvin - Black Summoner
Kumoko - Spider Isekai
Keda Yoshinobu - Mars Red
Iwatami Naofumi - Shield Hero
Jin Mo-Ri - God of Highschool
Katagiri Yuuichi - Tomodachi Game
Demonheart Leo - Yuusha Yamemasu - Well technically...
Dec 3, 2022 2:57 AM

Oct 2013
Ciel from Black Butler needs to be mentioned here lol.
Dec 3, 2022 5:13 AM

Aug 2019
It'd be hilarious to watch kazuma as a proper isekaid villain

Dec 3, 2022 3:52 PM

Apr 2021
This is confusing, is the op asking about kind-hearted/morally upstanding protagonists turning evil and becoming villainous antagonists, or the same show but written from the perspective of the original antagonists, thus rendering the original protagonist as the antagonist?

If it's the former, any overpowered character comedy would be fun, like Mob or Kaiki becoming an unstoppable villain. If it's the latter I think any psychodrama would be cool, like if Monster was written with Johan as the protagonist and we follow the story from his perspective, with Tenma as the antagonist on his trails.

Also, btw antagonist is simply the main foe of the protagonist. Light was never the antagonist, he was a villain for sure but he's definitely the protagonist as we follow the story mostly from his perspective and most of the inner monologues are his.

Although, if it's asking specifically regarding protagonists who don't fit well as the main perspective, it'd probably be something like Overlord, where even the show can't keep Ainz as the protagonist sometimes and has to switch perspectives to keep it interesting. Or personally I'd like Kirito as an antagonist, mostly because he's just so bland as a protagonist I'd rather just watch the feeble side characters get some development and be squashed as they try to face the impossible foe who's got 200% plot armour.
Dec 3, 2022 4:10 PM

Mar 2021
crow hogan from yugioh 5ds was originally was supposed to be a bad guy
Dec 3, 2022 5:52 PM

Apr 2021
TsutanaiFuun said:
basically already a thing his names obito
Dec 3, 2022 6:03 PM
Oct 2019
I'd probably say Ainz Ooal Gown from Overlord. I think the idea of an antagonist who is just completely unstoppable, no matter how many asspulls, how much training, how much power of friendship BS you have, is interesting to me. Maybe it wouldn't be very satisfying to see the characters you've been following for the entire story get struck down by an unbeatable force, but it would certainly be different. Something you don't often see, and that's what makes it interesting to me.
Dec 3, 2022 6:05 PM

Dec 2020
i guess like other mentioned, light yagami and eren yeager. theyre already antagonists, but im talking about if they were genuinely on the bad side, and were just genuinely horrible people. while light and eren did do bad things, and cause many, many problems, they still believed they were in the right. imagine if they used their powers solely to just make peoples lives miserable...sounds interesting.
Dec 3, 2022 6:22 PM
Oct 2019
subahokke said:
i guess like other mentioned, light yagami and eren yeager. theyre already antagonists, but im talking about if they were genuinely on the bad side, and were just genuinely horrible people. while light and eren did do bad things, and cause many, many problems, they still believed they were in the right. imagine if they used their powers solely to just make peoples lives miserable...sounds interesting.
Light Yagami isn't an antagonist though. I guess you could argue that Eren is in the final arc, but Light is the protagonist throughout the entirety of Death Note.

Protagonist and antagonist aren't synonyms for hero and villain. They're completely different words with completely different meanings. The protagonist is the character that the story revolves around (essentially the main character) while the antagonist is the character who directly opposes them.
Dec 3, 2022 6:41 PM

Nov 2011
It seems that some people can't differentiate between protag/antagonist and hero/villain.

Anyway. I always think that DRRR!! will be a better series with different protagonist. Mikado POV bored me so much, Kida will be more interesting as protagonist.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Dec 3, 2022 8:15 PM

Jul 2021
epowjgpwak said:
TsutanaiFuun said:
basically already a thing his names obito
but it's not naruto. hit will hit different if naruto does it.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 4, 2022 1:20 AM

Sep 2021
The question should probably be, what non-protagonist should be the protagonist. That's because the antagonist is defined by its role contra the protagonist. It doesn't make sense to talk about an antagonist in isolation, and no character is better off as an antagonist; it's just that there might be a more suitable protagonist.

Would L make a better protagonist than Light? No that would be terrible. L's upbringing is not something anyone can relate to. The death note would come off as a bullshit superpower for a villain rather than an interesting "what would you do if you came across the death note?". You'd have to do a lot more development of this secret society that L belongs to, which would throw off the scope of the story.
Dec 4, 2022 1:25 AM

Feb 2020
TsutanaiFuun said:

road to ninja
AdampkDec 4, 2022 1:55 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Dec 4, 2022 3:49 AM

Sep 2018
This guy

Suddenly turning Accel into a protagonist was terrible writing in my opinion.
Dec 25, 2022 8:41 PM

Apr 2011
ShatteredSans said:
Light Yagami isn't an antagonist though. I guess you could argue that Eren is in the final arc, but Light is the protagonist throughout the entirety of Death Note.

Protagonist and antagonist aren't synonyms for hero and villain. They're completely different words with completely different meanings. The protagonist is the character that the story revolves around (essentially the main character) while the antagonist is the character who directly opposes them.

Exactly! Thank you for explaining.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

17 by Malkshake »»
6 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
10 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

14 by traed »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

62 by delirific »»
17 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.