Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Why is FMA (manga, original anime, and brotherhood) the only anime on MAL that uses its English name as the default name?

Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 2, 2022 8:11 PM

Jun 2013
Not advocating for change or anything, just curious. Attack on Titan is Shingeki no Kyojin by default, Demon Slayer is Kimetsu no Yaiba by default, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure is JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken by default, just to name a few. Why is FMA in particular the only one that breaks this consistency? If MAL were consistent, shouldn't the manga and original anime be called Hagane no Renkinjutsushi while FMAB should be called Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Fullmetal Alchemist?

Edit: Lots of people seem to not know this. Not all anime have names that use Japanese words. Some anime, in their original titles, only use English. Examples include: Steins;Gate, Summertime Render, Monster, Serial Experiments Lain, etc. MAL uses the ORIGINAL names for all of their shows except for FMA, where they use the English licensed name of the show. Steins;Gate is not an English licensed name, it's the original name.
minikemonDec 3, 2022 2:03 AM
Dec 2, 2022 8:41 PM
Apr 2020
mods are definitely gonna lock this one for "not promoting discussion"๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Dec 2, 2022 9:02 PM
Aug 2021
a few other are, but it's totally arbitrary seemingly, it should just all the english names though imo, that's the name nearly everyone besides the hyperweebs know it by anyways.
Dec 2, 2022 10:29 PM
Sep 2021
This simply isn't true, not even near the truth, you're looking at mainstream Shounen, if you looked further youd find this applies to so many other franchises, Serial Experiments Lain, Perfect Blue, Violet Evergarden, Monster.

it's this way because the names were branded that way rather than as the japanese romanji, like Monster being Bakemono instead. Which is why Attack on Titan is Shingeki no Kyojin, because it was branded as such.
Dec 2, 2022 10:35 PM

Jun 2013
lFrogs said:
This simply isn't true, not even near the truth, you're looking at mainstream Shounen, if you looked further youd find this applies to so many other franchises, Serial Experiments Lain, Perfect Blue, Violet Evergarden, Monster.

it's this way because the names were branded that way rather than as the japanese romanji, like Monster being Bakemono instead. Which is why Attack on Titan is Shingeki no Kyojin, because it was branded as such.

I think you misunderstand. All those examples you gave are originally named in English, the official names in Japanese are written in katakana because they use English words. Monster is called Monster in Japan, not Bakemono. FMA is not the same.
Dec 3, 2022 1:24 AM
Mar 2021
probably because no one calls it hagane no renkinjutsushi? or maybe it just happened and no one really bothers to chand it?
Dec 3, 2022 1:33 AM
Feb 2022
Not even close. For example steins;gate and summertime render both have their English names in MAL. These shows use English names because their English names are more popular
Dec 3, 2022 1:46 AM

Apr 2016
TanakaTarou24 said:
probably because no one calls it hagane no renkinjutsushi? or maybe it just happened and no one really bothers to chand it?

No one calls Koukaku Kidoutai to Ghost in the Shell and its name here is in Japanese anyway.
Dec 3, 2022 1:57 AM

Jun 2013
Michael556 said:
Not even close. For example steins;gate and summertime render both have their English names in MAL. These shows use English names because their English names are more popular

Can't believe I have to explain this again lol. Steins;Gate is called Steins;Gate in Japan too. It doesn't have a named in Japanese. Same goes for Summertime Render, it's literally written as Summertime Render in Japanese. In fact, the English licensed named is Summer Time Rendering. Look it up.
Dec 3, 2022 2:30 AM
Mar 2021
Daninokuni said:
TanakaTarou24 said:

No one calls Koukaku Kidoutai to Ghost in the Shell and its name here is in Japanese anyway.

eh, is this a post for which you want to express your distress for fmab not having japanese name while others do or do you just want to know why it is like that?

I only gave a possible reason. doesn't really need to apply for everything as an ironclad rule even if hypothetically my reasoning was true.

and as I said, no one really bothers about such stuff anyways so what's the issue here
Dec 3, 2022 3:47 AM
Sep 2015
I believe Evangelion in original is "Shin Seiki Evangelion". But excluding this few exceptions, you're right, it's strange that exceptions even exists.
Dec 3, 2022 4:55 AM

May 2015
Maybe they just do the changes gradually. Ghost in the Shell was renamed years ago, but Mobile Suit Gundam only recently, like a couple weeks ago. So I guess in due time they'll apply it to everything.
Dec 3, 2022 4:56 AM

Feb 2014
Because MAL mod team is biased af towards FMA. Always have been.
Dec 3, 2022 6:46 AM
Feb 2020
theMario3721 said:

This one. always been this way. there is a reason its #1 when no where else in the world do people even bring it up in conversation.
Dec 3, 2022 9:32 AM

Apr 2016
TanakaTarou24 said:
Daninokuni said:

eh, is this a post for which you want to express your distress for fmab not having japanese name while others do or do you just want to know why it is like that?

I only gave a possible reason. doesn't really need to apply for everything as an ironclad rule even if hypothetically my reasoning was true.

and as I said, no one really bothers about such stuff anyways so what's the issue here

Don't be mad, I just counter-argue your argument.
Dec 3, 2022 9:40 AM

Feb 2014
giffica said:
theMario3721 said:

This one. always been this way. there is a reason its #1 when no where else in the world do people even bring it up in conversation.

I always thought it was very interestinv that whenever there was a problem in the algorithms of the website, with wide community complaints, they would only move if it affected FMAB. If not, they would sleep on it and act as if nothing was going on. There was always a problem with the score system and animes were being 1 bombed or 10 bombed, but they only moved when FMAB was dethroned by Ishuzoku Reviewers.
Dec 3, 2022 11:52 AM
Mar 2021
Daninokuni said:
TanakaTarou24 said:

sorry if i have off that impression but I'm not mad at ya. Was just annoyed a bit cuz you know how fmab fanbase gets over defensive with weirdest of the shit
Dec 3, 2022 11:53 AM

Jan 2021
Because only english-speaking people like the series.
Dec 3, 2022 3:19 PM
Dec 2016
Npclucario said:
a few other are, but it's totally arbitrary seemingly, it should just all the english names though imo, that's the name nearly everyone besides the hyperweebs know it by anyways.

Not to sound rude or anything but native english speakers aren't the only ones who uses MAL and having it in original makes it more accessible even for people who don't know much of english.
Dec 3, 2022 3:38 PM
Dec 2016
minikemon said:
Not advocating for change or anything, just curious. Attack on Titan is Shingeki no Kyojin by default, Demon Slayer is Kimetsu no Yaiba by default, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure is JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken by default, just to name a few. Why is FMA in particular the only one that breaks this consistency? If MAL were consistent, shouldn't the manga and original anime be called Hagane no Renkinjutsushi while FMAB should be called Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Fullmetal Alchemist?

Edit: Lots of people seem to not know this. Not all anime have names that use Japanese words. Some anime, in their original titles, only use English. Examples include: Steins;Gate, Summertime Render, Monster, Serial Experiments Lain, etc. MAL uses the ORIGINAL names for all of their shows except for FMA, where they use the English licensed name of the show. Steins;Gate is not an English licensed name, it's the original name.

I think it's because the english name was used together with the Japanese name . If you look at original manga covers english name is right under the japanese one. And back then long name weren't a thing. Also Fullmetal Alchemist is easier to remember and say then Hagane no renkinjutsushi. So that's may be the reason.
Dec 3, 2022 3:45 PM

Aug 2020
Imagine saying Hagane no Renkinjutsushi and no one will have a clue that you're talking about FMA.
Dec 3, 2022 3:59 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
It's not, Shinseiki Evangelion is listed as Neon Genesis Evangelion. Although that and FMA are the only ones I'm aware of. Two titles very well known by their english name in the west before MAL was a thing, but yea it's not consistent.

AniDB uses the Japanese titles for these two anime.
Dec 4, 2022 12:58 AM
Oct 2015
for SEO purposes probably when this site was made
Dec 4, 2022 1:55 AM

Apr 2016
TanakaTarou24 said:
Daninokuni said:

sorry if i have off that impression but I'm not mad at ya. Was just annoyed a bit cuz you know how fmab fanbase gets over defensive with weirdest of the shit

Wasn't my intention.
I don't really care about the name, but it's still weird.
Dec 8, 2022 3:39 AM
Jun 2022
because fullmetal alchemist sounds cooler than hagane no Renkinjutsushi

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.