Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 12, 2008 10:50 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Strange ending. Was that girl Johan dressed as Nina?
Also, I found the part where Grimmer runs into the restaurant and starts telling stuff from the past, about that guy's nephew, really weird (sure it was important to Grimmer, but I found it wierd that the guy barely reacted to it).
Aug 23, 2008 10:29 PM

Jun 2008
totally weird
Dec 28, 2008 9:50 AM

Jun 2008
lol johan enjoyed crossdressing even as a child ;D

I wonder why Tenma is so into this. I think maybe his father/family was involved? Bet his Father was a psychoanalyst or whatever kind of doctor ;O

Also it seems Johan was raised to be a monster, thats why he was a "monster" even before coming to kinderheim
Mar 31, 2009 10:39 PM

Jul 2008
^ Yeah, he loves it.
Apr 26, 2009 12:15 PM

Apr 2009
I think, that johan was dressed that time too, and like Nina will understand that Johan is doing that again?

Hmmm... Pretty many around the 511... I was shocked that that guy was also in the 511...
"The most hard thing was to learn to smile"
Love that moment...
Aug 13, 2009 7:08 AM

Jul 2009
That was totally weird 8|
Nov 1, 2009 11:39 AM

Nov 2007
not too interessting
Dec 4, 2009 2:43 PM
Oct 2009
Very interesting
Feb 6, 2010 1:25 PM

Sep 2009
Insane. Loved the mindfuck parts.
So, we now know that mastermind behind the raising of Johan. It was Franz Bonaparta. Not completely sure where he works, or what was his intention, but I think he had his work concentrated on the twins.

Now about the part with Anna greeting herself. It was either Johan dressed up like that, or Anna saw her mother who looked just like she looks now.

About Johan's monster. Lets remember what we learned in previous episodes. Johan's mother and Margot Langer were crossing the border, and Johan's mother was caught. Now what I don't remember is if the twins were with her at that time.

No! They weren't even born then. Now I remember that letter Karl read. Margot was saying that later, she heard new about her friend who gave birth to twins. Therefore, we could assume that she was pregnant while trying to cross border. That makes me think that Johan was a plan of some government before he was born. I presume, that they inserted some kind of DNA inside the twin's mother, to make him. OR, they were observing a lot of mothers, and taking their children, to find the Johan, or build him with 1 in a million chances of success. The twin's mother tried to escape and got caught.

It also appears that Johan was too smart for them to handle when he reached certain age. He escaped with his sister to Germany, because there is no way they would have been allowed to wander alone on the border of Checkoslovakia.
No sig :(
May 29, 2010 5:41 PM

Sep 2008
Johann is sucha trap. :P

Glad to see Mamiko Noto come to stir things up a little though. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2010 2:24 PM

Mar 2010
Kinda creepy towards the end, nina freaking out again just like everyone else xD!

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 19, 2011 1:31 PM
Jun 2010
hznu said:
lol johan enjoyed crossdressing even as a child ;D

I wonder why Tenma is so into this. I think maybe his father/family was involved? Bet his Father was a psychoanalyst or whatever kind of doctor ;O

Also it seems Johan was raised to be a monster, thats why he was a "monster" even before coming to kinderheim

lol this episode left me so fucking mouth opened. But then you had to go say cross dressing and i burst out laughing completely breaking the atmosphere.

well doen dude :)
May 18, 2011 1:56 AM

Oct 2008
Wow, Johan must really love wearing female clothing. :|
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 16, 2012 5:10 AM

Feb 2012
When they were talking about Franz Bonaparta it reminded me of Runge. He'd be the right age I guess too. That would be quite a twist again and would require yet another amnesia so maybe it's not likely. At the end the child waiting in the room had that evil smile like Johan, but Nina was the one supposedly waiting there, seeing herself come in? I'm not sure what to think again. I still think it's possible Nina/Johan might be the same person, partly because of that whole "Look how big the monster inside me has got" thing; They were implying there was a split personality, yet we've never actually seen Johan have a good side. But if that were true, where would Nina have dumped Dieter while she was killing everyone in Prague?

There's another thing that's been bugging me for a while. What was Johan's name in the beginning? (I don't really want to do a search in fear of spoilers). I thought he was Johan Liebert at the time of the initial massacre in which he was injured. Yet, when he was living in Munich much later in the series, he had become the "adopted" son of a couple who used to have a son called Johan Liebert, the grave of whom Richard Braun found. Then after the fire both Johan and these new parents disappeared. Did he choose those people simply because they used to have a son of the same age and same name? That seems quite a coincidence. Or was the Johan Liebert whose grave they found the real one and all that's left is Nina/Anna? I hope there's an explanation for all this (or maybe I remember some of the details wrong).

Hmm no, if the twins were actually the same person, by now Tenma would be aware of it after the fire, wouldn't he? Maybe I've seen too many films with surprise twists at the end and the truth is simpler.
FeorgFeb 16, 2012 5:26 AM
Mar 8, 2012 1:01 AM

Mar 2009
Johan's hobby is so obvious, lol.
Mar 17, 2012 7:40 AM

Mar 2010
johan lol
Sep 24, 2012 1:24 PM

Nov 2009
So either Johan likes cross dressing or he is a chick... Anyways pretty creepy shit where Tenma and them start to piece things together, I bet they saw their Dad brutally murder their mom and thats why they are so f'ed up.
Dec 18, 2012 2:02 PM

Feb 2012
OMG this episode.

About Episode:

Looks like Anna and Dieter are now in Prague and Anna seemed to be scared of that many people know her. This is because Johan acted her that's why many people know him.

Now Tenma and Grimmer who were questioning in the hospital and looking for Suk I was so sure that Suk has been taken somewhere else because those secret police man.

So they were asked to come with sexret police men. And was founded that General guy is one who asked them and they have been with trouble on those policemen. And he even tried to arrange deal about freeing Suk from the hospital exchange for the tape. but it seems that Tenma and Grimmer turned his offer down. But it was really scary part that suddenly Grimmer remembered something after that butterfly flow a way from the car. So Grimmer knew this General's nephew called Adolf. And seems like Kinderheim 511 he had been friend with him and he also said that there were others who would remember them who they are so they couldn't forget that they have name. Interesting...

Also looks like Tenma didn't know about that picturebook and also that story but now we also know it was some guy named Franz Bonaparte who was author of that book and worked for General.

So Anna finally remembered where she lives here in Prague. And scary part was those images of her memories. But looks like she remembered a lot of stuff. Like those organization guys took Johan from that house to Kinderhaim 511. Also was shown that both of the twins have been manipulating by these organization guys.

"Why I am welcoming myself home" this sure is so obviously that girl is Johan. and he is welcoming Anna back to home.

5/5
Dec 24, 2012 5:24 PM

Nov 2011
"Welcome home".

Oh damn, Nina is having a lot of thoughts going around now.
Jan 29, 2013 9:56 AM

Jan 2012
So Johan enjoyed crossdressing even as a kid lol. God damn psycho. Anyway, the information about 511 is interesting. The "welcome home" in the end was creepy.

Feb 26, 2013 10:08 PM
Aug 2011
Little girl Johan. Well that's a sight to behold.
Apr 21, 2013 9:37 PM
Apr 2012
I don't think they would be pulling the "trap" card again because that would be very weird, even for Johann. So it is most likely a psychological thing.
Apr 28, 2013 6:48 AM

Apr 2013
Things are getting more weird. Maybe there was a third child? Or maybe a second monster?
Aug 21, 2013 6:53 AM
May 2012
Oh boy the guy Grimmer was talking about is Roberto because Roberto's real name is Adolf Reinhardt and I think Roberto is still alive things are getting really intense!!!
Sep 2, 2013 8:08 PM

Nov 2012
Damn this was such a good episode like the way it started and ended.
Oct 30, 2013 1:40 AM

Jul 2009
wow such a mind fucking episode O___O

at first it was weird that "Johan" wasn't greeting the old people, that's when i knew it was the real Anna ^^

so Suk is being taken care of in a secret hospital huh?

finally Grimmer remembers his past!

Adolf Reinhart, lol isn't he supposed to be the next Hitler?

Karel Ranke is in tears!!

we did get a glimpse of the real mother of Johan and Anna since they showed on one of the flashbacks that has a long hair like Anna, but a much older face.

i wonder if Anna is truly is the sister of Johan?

why did they only take Johan and not Anna as well?

finally Tenma revealing everything to Adolf Grimmer

"Man of the Red Rose Mansion"

Franz Bonaparta. it seems he could very be Johan and Anna's mother!!

i wonder why he created the "Monster Without a Name" picture book!

when the door was crumbling like a monster, it scared the hell out of me!

OH!!! i noticed one last thing! in the last flash back, it could very well be Franz Bonaparta.

also he did the hand gesture which is similar to the opening of Monster where a shadowy figure that looks like Tenma doing the same thing.

man could it be Franz himself?

and who is the girl? is it really Anna or Johan?!?!?!

lots of questions!

finally we'll be seeing Runge after so long!!

freaking love this anime!!

more please!
Dec 12, 2013 9:45 PM

Jan 2011
Johan is such a trap, he has surpassed Ruka an Phantasos
Dec 29, 2013 4:21 PM

Sep 2011
Johan is one messed up dude.
Jun 1, 2014 5:42 AM

May 2013
Grimmer describing Adolf Reinhart was really interesting, makes you wonder even more about what happened in 511 Kinderheim.
Dec 21, 2014 2:16 AM

Nov 2011
Hey guys.

What if Johan is a girl?

Think about it. When he was "cross-dressing" as Anna, he had feminine legs and small shoulders. It's quite possible "he" isn't a "he" at all, but that she has been cross-dressing as a man this whole time.

That would be pretty freaky if it's true.

Franz Bonaparta, the monster behind the monster- he's the one who wrote the children's book that Johan and Anna know so well, and it seems he had an integral role in their childhood. It really does seem like we're getting closer to the truth behind all this. How close, yet how far it is!

I wonder who the German buyer is; based on the preview, I'll make a wild guess and say Lunge, though I don't really have any proof to back that.
Feb 4, 2015 12:03 AM

Nov 2013
Oh the mind screw. There was a lot of confusing shit in this episode.

I can't imagine how creepy it must have been when all those people knew her name and were calling her by the name Anna. Spooky stuff...

I'm really wondering what exactly Nina is trying to recall and how significant will it be to the story?

Great episode though now there's a lot of questions that need to be answered.

8/10

Apr 1, 2015 7:53 AM
Nov 2014
At first I thought this new ed sucks but damn it is very fitting for this show.

Confusing ep, that end tho.

Is that Johan cross-dressing as little Anna ? lol xD.
Apr 16, 2015 12:08 PM

May 2014
Wow that was confusing as all hell. So I'm guessing that Johan probably crossdressed as Nina back when they were still children living in Prague.. But that would mean that Johan just had a fetish for crossdressing as his sister from the beginning.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Aug 6, 2015 4:02 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Sep 1, 2015 7:54 AM

May 2012
this is getting fackin creepy lol, i need to watch more, but i cant right nowww :'(
Sep 1, 2015 10:02 PM

Dec 2013
That ending was weird...
Sep 5, 2015 2:20 PM

Dec 2013
Insane stuff. The way Monster constantly amazes me is dumbfounding.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 25, 2015 9:26 PM
Sep 2015
Cross dressing monster.
Oct 21, 2015 3:46 PM

Jul 2013
Didn't quite get the twist behind Nina's double, but I gues it will be explained...
Getting interesting, just wanna see the mother of the Monster.
Feb 7, 2016 2:20 AM

Dec 2009
It's always a good episode when Nina is in it. I'm glad this time it's the real one.

That ending with the little girl is freaky. I didn't think of it as Yohan cross dressing, I just straight away assume it Nina when she was younger.
Mar 7, 2016 7:46 AM

Dec 2015
The most disturbing aspect of the story at the moment, for me, has been that Anna and Johann's neighbours in Cedok Bridge claimed that there had been only one child.
This, added with this episode's what appears to be two Ninas at childhood, points to the idea that the their mother was quite clearly trying to hide her children. (Although the neighbour seemed unable to determine the child's gender, while the Nina who opened the door in Nina's little flashback looked very clearly feminine. Was the old man's bad memory all there is to it?) If so, then the twins' mom was only trying to hide Johan.

Was Johan born an experiment, or is this just my inability to accept that a human can kill with such little emotion and motivation? It ties in with the fact that the mother and the twins were taken away mysteriously and that the mother had tried to escape, although there could have been other reasons for both.

First, reality check: was there enough technology in the 1950s to come up with genetic experiment that could work on humans? Even so, if Johan really was born an experiment, it seems unlikely that whoever was conducting the experiment would have been able to predict which twin was the real deal. And yet, Johan's mom only hid Johan. In any case, why did Nina turn out fine? Because the experiment was an all-boys club? Because she wasn't put in an environment that could raise her emotionless? This is where my idea breaks down, but I can't think of a better reason why the neighbour could have said there was only one kid.
Jun 2, 2016 3:26 PM

Feb 2013
It was creepy when Grimmer started remembering things from 511 Kinderheim.
I suppose that Johan liked to wear girl clothes from his childhood.
Oct 23, 2016 9:16 AM

Jan 2016
shit got me fucked up bruh
Jun 14, 2017 3:27 PM

May 2015
This epsiode explains things, but raises more questions at the same time. Anyhow, things just getting more interesting!
Jun 18, 2017 6:58 AM

Oct 2012
It's Johan crossdressed as you
Psssh.. I didn't know Johan is that kind perver-
Oh wait
"Signature removed"
May 5, 2018 11:35 AM

Feb 2015
Not really following it much anymore, but that Franz guy was the one who wrote the picture book that made Johan panic? Hm.
Aug 9, 2018 9:55 AM

Sep 2017
A WTF episode. I have no idea and this episode seemed too long. Nina's art has degraded. Hole lot of drama and loopholes. Where was the fire?
Y'all should just read Pluto.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Dec 31, 2018 7:47 AM

Nov 2016
I love it how each episode is adding something to the whole picture.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 19, 2019 7:51 AM
Apr 2016
Didn't the insides of that house thingy burned down? A lot of info about Johan & Anna.
Apr 10, 2019 4:38 PM

Apr 2014
Gosh, more and more plot points and questions.. I feel like a detective, slowly uncovering the case.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.