Forum Settings
Forums

What do you consider when reviewing an anime?

New
Nov 30, 2022 2:52 PM
Jun 2021
Is the characters or the story more important to you?
How much does the quality of the animation matter to you?

My rating system:
1. Characters >> 2. Story >>> 3. Music(OST, opening, ending) > 4. Animation

The most important thing for me is the elaboration of the characters and the story.
If the animation isn't terribly weak, it doesn't bother me
Nov 30, 2022 3:23 PM

Dec 2020
I don't consider that there's any aspect more or less important they all come together, at the end it's give or take on the show
it won't be perfect but if one aspect about a show is solid enough it can make up for other aspects that're weaker
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Nov 30, 2022 5:47 PM
Oct 2019
When it comes to judging aspects of the stories (writing, plot, characters, etc.), there is no criteria I place above the rest. Each is important on its own but how they come together to create the overall experience and the role each of the criteria play to produce the overall product is more important. When you get down to specific aspects of the anime medium like music or animation, they are very important in elevating the story and the overall execution. Even though there are some exceptions, I think a good story always can save bad animation or music, but good music or animation can't always save a bad story
Nov 30, 2022 7:27 PM

Jun 2017
It depends. In a story driven series, the story and characters are both important, about equally. The plot actually has to make sense and tell the story well, but i also have to actually care about the characters to know what happens to them. As someone who has a passion for story telling, it's nice to see a story build up to something.

But a simple SLice of Life with no overarching plot, all that matters is the characters. I won't just count off for lack of a story for those kinds of shows.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Nov 30, 2022 7:51 PM

Jul 2019
When you're writing reviews, you gonna want to look beyond than just the "story", "Characters", "Animation" and whatever. Those things should be the stepping stone to think deeper and how it as a whole. From my experience, that's how I find the most meaningful things I want to talk about in a review. When you consider things more deeply, that's when you find things you never thought about writing.

This also derives from individual beliefs and values, which heavily influence a review. Which is why they are subjective.
LordSozinNov 30, 2022 7:55 PM

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Nov 30, 2022 8:09 PM

Oct 2013
Writing, character (personality and design), music (including op and ed), artstyle, and settings, I guess.
Nov 30, 2022 8:36 PM

Sep 2020
Story-driven series:
1. Characters
2. Visuals
2. Story
4. Music
5. Atmosphere
6. Others

Character-driven series
1. Characters
2. Music
3. Visuals
4. Atmosphere.
5. Story
6. Others
Nov 30, 2022 10:52 PM

May 2019
1. Character Design
2. Event Setting
3. Animation
4. Narrative
5. Soundtrack
6. Ambiance
Dec 1, 2022 3:11 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
It's about expressing The enjoyment you get from the content of the plot...

Dec 1, 2022 6:48 AM

Aug 2017
me probably,

0. Concept (If the concept interesting but the execution is bad, i still give it good score)
1. Story (Does the story overstay its welcome or not ? does it need 4 episode to give 1 point ? etc)
2. Character (Does the character annoy me? Does the concept, story are relevant with character motivation)
3. Music
4. Character and World design.

this is why, i'm more tolerant with isekai series.

i think lot of isekai has great concept but just get sht on just because the character and world design are samey
Dec 1, 2022 6:58 AM

Oct 2019
the correct answer is, it depends on the show.

directing is probably the most important aspect in thrillers.

music is the most important in, well, music anime.

something like record of ragnorak would benefit the most from art and animation.

and so on.

bottom of the line is, everything is always important, but what is the most important is completely situational.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 2, 2022 3:00 AM

Nov 2022
Depends what I want to see at any given moment.

Sometimes I am in the mood for something nice and comfy with likable girls, then it is GuP, Bofuri or K-On!

If I want to laugh then Gintama or Nichijou

If I want something to indulge my nihilism and hared towards things I hate about the world then, Black Lagoon or Jigoku Shoujou

Nice story and action Fate/Zero or Grendizer possibly.

To indulge in power fantasy and imagine myself a lord, well Overlord obviously

If I want something deep and profound that makes one think, then Umineko, Utena, SEL, Kaiji, Planetes, Ryvius (stuff from my literary analysis post) (.hack//Sign possibly, I watch it first time now)

Madoka Magica and Claymore is somewhere between nice story and good girls

There are other stuff that does not fit neatly into one category, like Darker than Black Gaiden

Gode Geass fits many, however I need enough free time and clear focused mind to fully enjoy it (for Umineko as well), otherwise you miss important details and its ruins experience.

I guess, sometimes I just re-watch something I watched before for reminiscence sake.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Dec 2, 2022 3:40 AM
Dec 2021
Story/plot >> Characters >> Dialogues >> Music & OST >> Animation
Dec 2, 2022 4:15 AM

Oct 2018
My eyes always bleed when people say "story"
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Dec 2, 2022 4:19 AM

Dec 2018
I think weighing on priority of these criteria too much make the review inherently less helpful. And I do believe the golden criteria is narrative's execution. It's hard to say what a weak story is when not considering the narrative, and thus the execution said narrative is perhaps most important. Of course this is only loosely said, there may be a lot of nuances and different aspects to individually consider for different shows, but generally narrative execution is the way.

Even if it has the best writing, the best world building, the best story (?), or the best characters, if the execution is bad, all of what can technicaly be considered good is only "on paper". The show would generally collapse as a result.
. . .
Dec 2, 2022 4:21 AM

Sep 2020
How much it kept me interested in the story. If it's a seasonal that I watched on the day a new episode dropped for 3 months or however long it airs, It is doing something amazing because I have the attention span of a goldfish.Ao Ashi is the most recent example of that. If it's something I binged and could not stop binging until I finished that's a 10 no question.

Obviously, there are other factors like characters, story, etc but those factors usually affect how eager I want to watch a seasonal or how much I want to binge an anime.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 2, 2022 4:26 AM

Apr 2020
characters are the most important aspect for me everything else is just extra especially for sol
Dec 2, 2022 4:30 AM

Jan 2021
the whole thing, but overall how the story driven and how characters development in the story gives the biggest point.

1. Story >> 2. Character development >> 3. Animation

i consider the genre of the animes too, so the standard of my rating is according to the genre. least, the most important thing is how the studio elaborate the story and the development of the characters.

Link___Dec 2, 2022 7:11 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

25 by FanofAction »»
1 minute ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
6 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
11 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
14 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

43 by Ex-Aid »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.